Yakuza 3 (PS3) $39.99 @ Best Buy

Pretty cool story. The action gets repetitive but there's alot of side missions and mini games that you can do. The US version is missing alot of stuff from the original Japanese release because of localization issues.

Try out the demo if you can it gives you an overall idea of how it plays out. Not for everyone it shares some similarities with Shenmue.

I was interested in this as another GTA type game until I heard that they didn't bother to add English voice work.

I was so looking forward to this game, but after reading about it on here and the cut content, I have yet to get the game. Maybe when its sub $20, but I will still probably be disappointed with it. Sigh.

[quote name='Naramie'] The action gets repetitive[/QUOTE]

Thats the main problem I have with this series.

BUY THE GAME!!!!

Seriously, it's just really really good. I decided to finally start playing my copy recently, and I just really love it. Keep in mind I didn't really play the first Yakuza much and skipped the 2nd (which I will buy). The story is just really good and the game is lots of fun (taking on side missions, doing main story quests, etc.). I could say its easily one of the best games this gen.

Seriously, don't let the hostess clubs or no majong keep any of you from buying it. Those are very small pieces and the game is still awesome without them.

Yakuza 1 and 2 are fantastic. I've played a bit of 3 and so far it's really good. If you feel that strongly about the cut content don't buy it, but understand that by doing so you're greatly lessoning the chance of Yakuza 4 coming out at all.

Yakuza 1/2 have some of the best cutscenes and story of any game. It's almost up there with Metal Gear Solid!

Yeah, don't worry too much about the cut content guys. It sounds like a lot, but there is so much left in the game that it's pretty negligible in the end. It's the first Yakuza game I've played and I'm really loving it - there's a hilarious dynamic between teaching orphaned kids life lessons and beating thugs to death with trash cans and entire bicycles that you just don't find in Western games.

When I finally beat this game it took me 40 hrs, and said i was only 19% complete with it. Definitely worth 40 bucks!

I want this game and this is a pretty good deal price. Too bad I'm already getting 3 games this month. Maybe I can get it in June if it's still on sale.

I already put about 35 hours into the game and there is still a ton of other stuff i plan on doing. So the people saying that they are only getting 2/3 game don't know what the hell they are talking about. I got more than enough content for the $60 i spent. At $40, Yakuza 3 is a no brainer.

The cut content was just 3 mini games, 9 side missions, and the hostess bars. Seriously you're not going to be worried about the cut content if you get this game. I've spent over 100+ hours on this game and it is well worth the price at 60 and it's a bargain at 40.

[quote name='KingBroly']2/3 the price for 2/3 of a game. Hmm...tough choice.[/QUOTE]I'd say more like 2/3 the price for 19/20 of a game. Being upset over the loss of the hostess club I can understand, but is your knowledge of Japanese history really that great to miss the game's quiz minigame?

This is very tempting, too bad my local store is out right now, I'd rather not have to pay for shipping. I may have to hold off for now.

[quote name='Thrinn']I'd say more like 2/3 the price for 19/20 of a game. Being upset over the loss of the hostess club I can understand, but is your knowledge of Japanese history really that great to miss the game's quiz minigame?[/QUOTE]

This is 100% correct, they didn't cut out 1/3 of the game world or something, its some more abstract elements of the game. The cold fact of the matter is that they didn't want to scare off the more casual gamer who went into this expecting something like GTA - if the game doesn't sell well, and it needs to move some units with the less "hardcore" Japanese style game fan, then we simply won't get part 4 or other games like this..l.then we truly lose out. Campaigning against this game, will only ultimately hurt the people who care the most to play these kinds of games

Remember folks, they didn't just cut mahjong, shogi and running a hostess bar (which in Y2, was enough playtime to constitute it's own game) - they also took out many missions, which results in a disjointed experience. Some of those missions gave massive experience bonuses as well, which means that the Western version is much more grind-heavy than the original.

Besides, it's not the content getting cut that hurts - it's the REASON the content was cut. "Wouldn't resonate with a western audience." Bullcrap. How about you let ME decide what will resonate with me? If I don't like it, I can ignore it - rather than have it flat-out denied to me. Are we back in 16-bit era, where everything has to be censored so as not to offend us wide-eyed Westerners?

Regardless, I might pick it up at this price. I was fully intending to buy this game, I just wasn't going to pay the full amount unless it was a full experience.

[quote name='the7k']Some of those missions gave massive experience bonuses as well, which means that the Western version is much more grind-heavy than the original.[/QUOTE]

No, not at all true. I've played on hard and very hard and i never had to grind to get past a part. I was actually over leveled and the fights seemed easy.

[quote name='the7k']Remember folks, they didn't just cut mahjong, shogi and running a hostess bar (which in Y2, was enough playtime to constitute it's own game) - they also took out many missions, which results in a disjointed experience. Some of those missions gave massive experience bonuses as well, which means that the Western version is much more grind-heavy than the original.

Besides, it's not the content getting cut that hurts - it's the REASON the content was cut. "Wouldn't resonate with a western audience." Bullcrap. How about you let ME decide what will resonate with me? If I don't like it, I can ignore it - rather than have it flat-out denied to me. Are we back in 16-bit era, where everything has to be censored so as not to offend us wide-eyed Westerners?

Regardless, I might pick it up at this price. I was fully intending to buy this game, I just wasn't going to pay the full amount unless it was a full experience.[/QUOTE]

Stop with the whining. "let ME decide what resonates with me." ME ME ME. Dude, just accept the US finished product as it is. Stop comparing it to the Japanese version. If your so butt hurt over the cut content, go learn Japanese and buy the Japanese version.

Ok, just letting everyone know this price is good instore as well. Just picked it up at a B&M. The funny thing is this is the second game in a row that was supposedly unavailable at my local Best Buy, yet I went there and they had several copies available. :lol:

[quote name='mmazurik']I was interested in this as another GTA type game until I heard that they didn't bother to add English voice work.[/QUOTE]

Trust me. the Japanese language fits the game better than english does

[quote name='the7k']Remember folks, they didn't just cut mahjong, shogi and running a hostess bar (which in Y2, was enough playtime to constitute it's own game) - they also took out many missions, which results in a disjointed experience. Some of those missions gave massive experience bonuses as well, which means that the Western version is much more grind-heavy than the original.

Regardless, I might pick it up at this price. I was fully intending to buy this game, I just wasn't going to pay the full amount unless it was a full experience.[/QUOTE]

I see what you're getting at, waiting for a price cut is justifiable, I'm just against an all out boycott, that seems excessive in my book

I loved the demo... but I got a lot of my plate... I just got FFXIII for 30... so you know I'd love to get this at a 20/30.

Damn I just bought Demon's Souls, Final Fantasy XIII, and Bayonetta yesterday. This will have to wait though, which sucks since I played the demo and absolutely loved it. Anyway I also purchased the first two games a month ago so it's probably best to wait out a little longer as I catch up to speed on the story.

[quote name='the7k']Remember folks, they didn't just cut mahjong, shogi and running a hostess bar (which in Y2, was enough playtime to constitute it's own game) - they also took out many missions, which results in a disjointed experience.[/QUOTE]On the other hand the western release of the game is said to come with codes for free access to what was paid DLC in the eastern version. So you lose some content but you also gain some as well.

You do make a convincing argument. However, the impression I got from the official statement from Sega was that a full on translation would have pushed localization costs to the point where it they wouldn't have been able to release the game here at all. So it comes down to what would you rather have, a game that is 90%+ complete or no game at all? If you chose the latter, you can simply vote with your wallet. I'd rather have the option of choosing rather than having Sega veto a domestic release all together.

buy this game!! you'll still be getting plenty of game time.

I've had this at launch. I haven't been playing much of it due to school but let me say that there is lots of things to do! It took me a long time just to get to chapter four! Also I have about 45% complete and barely entering chapter seven!

yeah it sux that no hostesses but there's more to the yakuza games than the hostess stuff. Plus if you really want to see those hostesses, you can still date them. That gives you about two extra missions for each hostess you date.

I have not regretted buying yakuza 3 at launch. At this price, if you're a fan of the first two yakuza, then definitely get it.

[quote name='Spyder187']Meh, ill wait till its in the bargain bin. Also, Nier is much better and is a COMPLETE game [/QUOTE]I actually like Nier (I own it myself), but its no where near as good as Yakuza 3. Yakuza 3 with just a little cut content is still way more complete than Nier, still has a much better story, and is just overall better. It was worth $55 that I paid for it, so it's definitely worth $40.

Those who are waiting for it to drop down to $20, good luck with that. Best Buy locations don't exactly carry many copies of it (if I'm lucky, I see maybe two copies at a Best Buy, normally one or two), and its not like GameStop has many copies (more like 1-2, and you'll probably get a gutted display case). I personally think $40 is the cheapest anyone will get the game new, unless they get very lucky to catch a retailer with one left.

[quote name='Spyder187']Meh, ill wait till its in the bargain bin. Also, Nier is much better and is a COMPLETE game [/QUOTE]

Nier will have DLC too it looks like.

[quote name='oni_saru_sensei']buy this game!! you'll still be getting plenty of game time.

I've had this at launch. I haven't been playing much of it due to school but let me say that there is lots of things to do! It took me a long time just to get to chapter four! Also I have about 45% complete and barely entering chapter seven!

yeah it sux that no hostesses but there's more to the yakuza games than the hostess stuff. Plus if you really want to see those hostesses, you can still date them. That gives you about two extra missions for each hostess you date.

I have not regretted buying yakuza 3 at launch. At this price, if you're a fan of the first two yakuza, then definitely get it.[/QUOTE]

Yakuza 3 was my first game and man was i blown away with the story. I'm not really a fan of JRPG stories but this story is actually well written and coherent. Buy this game so we can see Yakuza 4 come out in the west!

bread's done
Back