Ye Olde CAG Playstation One hit list!

coltyhuxx

CAGiversary!
I missed a lot of the obscure PS1 catalog back in the day.

I just discovered Lunar 2.. I'm loving it. Leveling up with an emulator.. so nice.

And I hear Klonoa is pretty awesome.

What are some of the must-play *more rare/obscure* games that you recommend? Any genre is fine. Imports are fine too.
(interpret this as please don't bring up the super obvious titles: MGS, FF7 etc etc:) )

Arc The Lad Collection. I played a good chunk of Arc 1 and enjoyed it, but the 5 or so hours I played of Arc 2 were really great.

[quote name='Chacrana']Arc The Lad Collection. I played a good chunk of Arc 1 and enjoyed it, but the 5 or so hours I played of Arc 2 were really great.[/quote]

I own the collection. I beat the first one - super (super) short and easy. AMAZING score to that game. The end track is one of the best I've heard in any RPG.

The second Arc the Lad I gave up on after about fifteen hours in. I forget exactly why but I do seem to remember it having to do with SUPER long dungeons that had no save point - as in, I have shit I have to do, I can't play ten hour stretch dungeons. Maybe I'm exaggerating a little bit, but I do remember my friend borrowed it, loved it at first, and then the exact same problem.

I'm pretty psyched on this little list you guys have put together... already I see some titles I've never heard of.

EDIT: Though, with an emulator this problem could be resolved (not only the leveling up speed (because I heard this game gets H-A-R-D later on but I could also use the save states...)). Might have to play this in the PC instead of the PS2.

[quote name='mykevermin']Threads of Fate was pretty underrated for a Square title.

I'm going to have to give this some thought and get back to you.[/QUOTE]
Threads of Fate was a very entertaining game, as was Brave Fencer Musashi. I don't recall either being even remotely successful.

Looking through my collection, Alundra, Rollcage Stage II, and Blazing Dragons never got near the credit they deserved. I realize that Blazing Dragons is probably more personal preference/nostalgia than anything, but the other two are incredible titles.

Irritating Stick
Jumping Flash 1 + 2
Trap Gunner
Carnage Heart
Chocobo Racing
Bushido Blade 1 + 2

And I almost forgot the Deception series - some of the most overlooked games of their generation.

A couple of my odd-ball favorites:

Lemmings 3D
Norse by Norsewest
Jumping Flash 1&2
Return Fire
Hercs Adventure
Fatal Fury Wild Ambition
Battle Arena Toshinden 1&2

A 4 player Return Fire would make an awsome XBLA game.

Not looking at any replies, so this might have some repeats, but here's my list of obscure PS1 titles:

Wild Arms -- One of the first good RPGs the PS1 ever got. The sequals range from okay, to meh, but the original is still golden.

Gex: Enter the Gecko & Deep Cover Gecko -- My poor, poor gex. At one point he was (one of) the unofficial mascots of Playstation. To me, the series was better than Mario 64 (and I actually enjoy Mario 64).

Parasite Eve 1 & 2: Both games are very different from one another, but both are pretty awesome.

There's others, but I don't have the time to go into them.

I remember playing MediEvil 1 and 2 and loving them.

Not sure how well they held up over the years, but if you have a PS3 MediEvil is up on the Playstation Store

I don't know exactly how rare or obscure it is, but I loved the first Suikoden. It definitely grabbed me and made me appreciate RPG's again. I also had a lot of fun with the first Monster Rancher game, lol. But I guess that one's kind of overdone now. :D

Klona was really fun, I enjoyed it.

I loved Ape Escape personally, I don't know how many people played it so I dont really know if it was "obscure". Breath of Fire IV was enjoyable.

[quote name='Apossum']Incredible Crisis[/quote]

[quote name='phear3d']incredible crisis and jumping flash![/quote]

lol, I still have that game. Great times when I use to play it.

i love the lunar games.. i got the first one. near when it came out...

one i hadn't seen mentioned yet is Strider 2.. it had the original game and the 32 bit remake.. heres the ign review http://psx.ign.com/articles/164/164187p1.html

I also STILL make my own tunes with Mtv Music Generator.. much better than the "next gen" sequals... and glorified hand eye cordination games like Guitar Hero.. (i'm a musician at heart so i like making my own music)

I also picked up Final Doom at a yard sale for a buck and I was pleasently entertained for a few hours.. it was a pretty good FPS for the time.. i liked it.. even though the graphics are terrible.

I don't know about the PS2 version.. but the PSX version of Sled Storm was a great game.. it was very immersive and I really liked it.. the courses were very long for the racing games at the time and kept my attention for a while..

and for the final 2 games.. I really enjoyed Coolboarders 2, it wasn't the prettiest, or the best control, but it was a really cool snowboarding game for the time.. its pretty cheap too i'd try it out for an entaining "fast" snowboarding game.. and the other game is Street Sk8er .. I only list this because it has an amazing soundtrack and I played it just for that.. (even though it doubles as a music cd anyways..)

Xenogears is truly fantastic and will last you a couple of months.

Also, can't go wrong with Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Shmups were rare for the US Playstation but there are some good ones...

Raiden Project - Raiden II is still beyond great.
Einhander - I shit on Square from time to time but wow was their debut shmup good.
R-Type Delta - Updated horizontal R-Type goodness. Been playing this recently from the JP PSN store.
G Darius - Another hori (seems to be a theme) with a neat capture mechanism and some huge bosses.

[quote name='Apossum']Incredible Crisis[/quote]

I really enjoyed the humor, but the insane difficulty of gameplay and lack of difficulty settings totally turned me off.

There's only so many times you can die while playing one of the many "press x fast" games before you get pissed off.

Strikers 1945-great shmup in the vein of 1941,1943

Wild 9-nothing says fun like tossing enemies into grinders LOL sadistic game

Sheep-I think they forgot the word STUPID before Sheep though, as the AI is more like AS

Cool Spot Goes To Hollywood-sequel to the Cool Spot game, it was also available on the Genesis and SNES

Soviet Strike and Nuclear Strike-the two GOOD Strike series games for the PS1, ignore Future Cop LAPD 2100, which was supposed to be Future Strike

[quote name='DaveD']Intelligent Qube. Play it.[/quote]

I gotta learn to stop being a procrastinator when it comes to games, specially since many I still want are now 'zomg rarez' or at the least in high demand and no one is willing to let em go for next to nothing. :whistle2:#

bread's done
Back