Yep, that's not a typo -- 50 pennies saved, and boy am I proud.. kinda sorta;-)

minx

CAGiversary!
You see, I used the new 10 percent off code at target.com with the plan to cancel out the shipping costs with it for X-Men legends andTales of Symphonia. X-Men legends was sold out the xbox, so I just got tales in my cart and checked out before it sold out to. After checkout, I looked up the shipping policies as I was curious why a videogame was going to cost me five dollars, and low and behold videogame shipping is only $3. 50

So I call up and had the rep look up the shipping costs herself. She said that because the games are being shipped directly from the manufacturer, that's why it has such high shipping costs, but as a onetime exception she would knock down to 350...... PLUS 99 cents per item {meaning my time and hers was only worth 50 cents because I didn't notice the per item charge on the web site -- and wouldn't have bothered calling if I had}
now things took a turn for the strange....

I asked her , that since the games were still being manufactured and they were being shipped directly from the manufacturer if she couldn't add X-Men legend xbox to my order manually. Suddenly, a magical "supplier" appeared in the conversation. Magical because it would disappear and reappear repeatedly during the conversation depending on the subject was shipping costs or item availability. Do they really think the customer really cared where the item comes from that they need to lie like this? Weirdnesses!

So, anyone else ever argue over less than 50 cents trying to get a deal or am I the freakiest cheapass ever ;-)

Don't think i've ever haggled over fifty cents before. Ya got me beat there minx. But you're right. weirdness on the deal with target. enjoy the games and don't spend all that fifty cents in one place now ya hear?!

I once had to deal with an ornery employee who didn't want to give me my $1.40 employee discount. I'm sure I've had to haggle for less, but that's the only thing that comes to mind.

I argued with bestbuy over the phone because I had po'ed some bongos, weeks after release they had not shipped. I payed a total of 26.49 or something, that price including shipping. Finally I called and asked what the deal was, why no shipped product. Why do the stores have them yet I can't get my preorder shipped? The response - They have different supplies. So I asked if I could get my order changed from delivery to in store pick up with the original purchase price. They said I couldn't because I had gotten a special online deal. BS, I say. So I request to speak to his/her supervisor and they tell me, "actually my supervisor is on the phone right now." We all no that when someone starts a sentence off with actually they are lying/stalling.
"That's okay, I will wait," I say.
"Actually hold on let me talk to them..."

S/he comes back and says, let me see I may be able to help you out. They switch it to in store pick up at the initial purchase price.

All this for

My mother once argued with the phone company for 11 months over a 56 cent error on her phone bill.

She finally won at the end. She was so happy to get that credit back.

I called up the library over $0.25

I returned a few books due the next day a month or so back. I checked my account online the next day and I was showing an overdue charge for one of them (quarter per day at my library).

So I called up the branch and explained the situation. Guy said the librarian should have credited them as being checked in the day before even if they didn't get to them that morning. And said "I'll go ahead and credit you the quarter." :)

Although for me not getting late fees at the library is kind of pride thing. I think I've only returned a book late to the library one time in my life.

If I'm owed money, then hell yes I hold them to it, whether it be a dime or a dollar. Anything else is, at best, someone making a mistake, or at worst, a company trying to rip off their customers.
I had one of those BS 'rebate cards' for 50 bucks that they're starting to send out instead of actual checks. We used it down to about a buck and a half [and it was major inconvenient to use, too.] My wife was like, Just throw it away, it's only 1.50. I said, First, it's a 1.50. That's 30 miles worth of gas [at the time]. Second, that's *my* money, I fulfilled my part of the rebate, and they do this cheap stuff to make it a PITA to us, because if this gets thrown away, in effect I didn't get the rebate.
Found the exact amount on it, went to a gas station, got 1.46 worth of gas.
Money's money.

You guys put me to shame. I usually don't complain about a price difference unless its a dollar or over. I figure the time I spend arguing about isn't worth the amount of money I save. I guess I'm not a true cheapass in that sense.

I bitched to one of my credit card companies over $0.03.

I ended up overpaying my bill by $0.03, due to some finance charges that were removed from the card because they messed up on the "90 days same as cash". I asked them what they were going to do about it, since I told them I wasn't going to use the card again, and most likely was going to close it.

They said they couldn't do a check for $0.03, and I told them that it was their doing to why my account had a credit for $0.03. They ended up sending me a check for $1.00, because that's the minimum their system would generate.

So, not only did I get my $0.03 back, but I made $0.97 + $0.37 (their stamp cost) in the process.

How's that for being an ultimate cheapass?

Related, interesting question:

How many CAGs out there drive to 3 or more stores in search of a game that is 1-5 bucks cheaper? That I generally won't do unless I'm going in that direction anyway [in one 2 mile strip near me, there's 2 EBs, a BB, a CC, a BJ's, a Target, a TRU. I still won't hit them all, but I might price check a couple of them].

So, anyone else ever argue over less than 50 cents trying to get a deal or am I the freakiest cheapass ever

Believe it or not, I rarely quibble over money unless it is a rather large sum. That's not to say I'm not at all argumentative... I think everyone on the board could attest to that :)

[quote name='dtcarson']Related, interesting question:

How many CAGs out there drive to 3 or more stores in search of a game that is 1-5 bucks cheaper? That I generally won't do unless I'm going in that direction anyway [in one 2 mile strip near me, there's 2 EBs, a BB, a CC, a BJ's, a Target, a TRU. I still won't hit them all, but I might price check a couple of them].[/quote]

Out here in St. Louis, we tend to have clusters of stores around here as well.

The "main" area I go to has a Target, KMart, CompUSA, BB, CC and TRU within a 5 mile radius from one another. Covers 90% of the stores likely to have a sale item or PM possibilty.

A couple other areas have similar clustering of stores, with a Costco or Sam's thrown in there for good measure, and the CompUSA removed.

I've called BB from inside a CC store to get an additional $1 on a PM, since the BB was on the way home from CC.

How many CAGs out there drive to 3 or more stores in search of a game that is 1-5 bucks cheaper? That I generally won't do unless I'm going in that direction anyway [in one 2 mile strip near me, there's 2 EBs, a BB, a CC, a BJ's, a Target, a TRU. I still won't hit them all, but I might price check a couple of them].[/quote]

I used to, but now the price of gas eats up any savings that could be had (of course, I'll still do it if I was planning to go to all of those places and then double back to go home).

[quote name='JSweeney']Believe it or not, I rarely quibble over money unless it is a rather large sum. That's not to say I'm not at all argumentative... I think everyone on the board could attest to that :)[/quote]

JSweeney, you, argumentative? :shock:

I can't see how anyone would think that. :shock:

I generally don't drive around looking. Usually when I'm going out to get a game it's because I've seen a deal/clearance on here so I know exactly which store I'm heading to and how much I expect to pay if it is in stock. Like when the Tower Records deal was posted. I hopped in my car and went out to the closest Tower that night :)

There is a Target and BB in a strip mall I'm at a lot, so I'll check the Target clearance rack there from time to time, but that's probably the only store I hit just blindly hunting for something. And even then I have a list of games to look for in the back of my mind from the Target clearance thread.

[quote name='shrike4242'][quote name='JSweeney']Believe it or not, I rarely quibble over money unless it is a rather large sum. That's not to say I'm not at all argumentative... I think everyone on the board could attest to that :)[/quote]

I can't see how anyone would think that. :shock:[/quote]

That's why I had to mention it. Had I not, I know it certainly would have come up :)

Of course, outside of any forum where argument is acceptable, be in real life or on the internet, I'm not argumentative at all. Hard to belive as it may be, I'm actually a very laid back person.

This is why i hate living in a small city. There's one EB near me and that's about it. There's a BB, a CC, a Target, and a TRU all on the other side of town, but they're not that close together. Plus i live outside of town so driving to all of them to compare prices would just eat up gas, and at $2.00+ a gallon, i really can't afford that. That's probably why i do most of my shopping online. I'll go check out a store if i'm headed that way anyway... ah yet another reason to get a better job.

Unless I know for a fact it's gonna be cheaper, I'll buy it the first place I go to. I've noticed some stores here ** cough bestbuy cough ** can be very slow in changing prices. Usually I hit up EB or Gamestop or CC for my cheap games. Whichever store I'm in is where I buy it...

Oh and Minx? 50 whole pennies? :notworth: I bow to your cheapness....

[quote name='JSweeney'][quote name='shrike4242'][quote name='JSweeney']Believe it or not, I rarely quibble over money unless it is a rather large sum. That's not to say I'm not at all argumentative... I think everyone on the board could attest to that :)[/quote]

I can't see how anyone would think that. :shock:[/quote]

That's why I had to mention it. Had I not, I know it certainly would have come up :)

Of course, outside of any forum where argument is acceptable, be in real life or on the internet, I'm not argumentative at all. Hard to belive as it may be, I'm actually a very laid back person.[/quote]

I'm the same way. I maybe a sicko pervert on the boards but in real life I'm actually pretty conservative.

bread's done
Back