Yessss! Nintendo.com has shipped my Component cables!

nintendokid

CAGiversary!
Feedback
23 (100%)
I believe it's back in stock! Better hurry while they still have them. At $29.99 + shipping, it's not too shabby, especially for Metroid Prime, RE4, and getting that extra crisp edge on GBA Player...when I get that 26" Samsung LCD TV, that is.

Better to have it now than resort to those $49.99 Japanese ones on Ebay.

I just recieved mine today. I got my cable for $22.12 and free 2 day air. They gave me $10.00 "Consumer Goodwill" off the cable price and free UPS 2 Day Air shipping. I ordered back in nov 05 and they missed the January shipment date. Nintendo's a great company.

Aw man you're lucky. But I guess in a way, I'm also lucky, since I only placed my order on Tuesday and it just so happens that on the website, they state "Will ship early February" and voila! T'is early Feb.

Also, did you find it interesting that newer GCN's are not equipped with the digital a/v output because only 1% of GCN owners will want to use the progressive scan mode? There are about 10,000,000+ GCN's out there. Only 1 in every 100,000 owner wil use it. Wow....1%, and yet, Nintendo still caters to to us, the minority of HDTV users. Now that's fan dedication.

I think it took like 3-5 weeks from order to delivery for my cables.

[quote name='62t']how do you tell if your cube can use the cable?[/QUOTE]
Look on the back of the 'Cube and you'll see what looks like a second AV port on the back of it, higher up on the back of it.

You'll use the audio cables from the normal AV port, and the RGB cables from the component out.

I think they started to remove them from GC's around early 2004, if I remember right.

This is on the Nintendo.com website:
http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/nintendogamecube/component_faq.jsp

I bought mine at launch so a link to where I could get this for a deal would be appreciated.

Also which games are progressive scan. I have RE4 so thats one. What are some others.

[quote name='j.elles']I bought mine at launch so a link to where I could get this for a deal would be appreciated.

Also which games are progressive scan. I have RE4 so thats one. What are some others.[/QUOTE]

Really it seems like nearly all the good games have pro scan. I'm always answering "yes" when booting up games :D. Almost all the Nintendo 1st party games - SSBM, SMS, Mario Baseball, Super Mario Strikers, Zelda WW, the Mario Party's. It seems to be a much higher percentage than for PS2 games at any rate (though PS2 games seem to be better at widescreen support). Games that don't have it are things like Harry Potter, LOTR, Incredibles, and many other multi-platform titles (hmmm... seems like EA, in particular, likes to shaft GC owners :whistle2:k).

New Zelda's almost certainly going to be compatible with it. Now i'm just debating buying these now or waiting for the Revolution which I heard is going to be 480p compatible.

What do you guys think.

[quote name='nintendokid']because only 1% of GCN owners will want to use the progressive scan mode? There are about 10,000,000+ GCN's out there. Only 1 in every 100,000 owner wil use it. Wow....1%, and yet, Nintendo still caters to to us, the minority of HDTV users. Now that's fan dedication.[/QUOTE]

1% is one in every 100..

[quote name='zackattack']1% is one in every 100..[/QUOTE]

Well 100,000 was 1% of his random 10 million GCN units "out there".. so I figured we knew somehow what he meant.

[quote name='j.elles']I bought mine at launch so a link to where I could get this for a deal would be appreciated.

Also which games are progressive scan. I have RE4 so thats one. What are some others.[/QUOTE]

The nintendo.com online store is your cheapest bet because those who have one won't readily give it away for cheap. The Japanese ones on Ebay are $49.99.

Better order ASAP, because who knows when they will be out.

[quote name='nintendokid']Also, did you find it interesting that newer GCN's are not equipped with the digital a/v output because only 1% of GCN owners will want to use the progressive scan mode? There are about 10,000,000+ GCN's out there. Only 1 in every 100,000 owner wil use it. Wow....1%, and yet, Nintendo still caters to to us, the minority of HDTV users. Now that's fan dedication.[/QUOTE]

I would argue that it's more of a case of bad marketing than dedication.

Look at just how much MS promoted high definition connections for the XBOX and how widely available the cables were -- I would wager that a much larger percentage of XBOX owners are using progressive scan.

In comparison, Nintendo never really did much to indicate that component cables were available -- no cables in the stores, no third party cables, and almost no advertising of progressive scan as a feature.

(As a note, my opinions come from owning a GC, PS2, and an XBOX along with an HDTV)

[quote name='j.elles']I'm on the fence here. Anyone here think Revolution will ship with the component cables.[/QUOTE]

If you can wait, I would be willing to put $100 down, that REV will ship with component in the form similar to 360: the red and white audio, the RGB component for HDTV, a separate yellow composite video for SDTV. But, sometimes, Nintendo works in strange ways. So who knows...so far, 360 has been the first console (to my knowledge, since I've never owned Saturn, 3D0, Dreamcast, etc. plus I don't think component was big yet) to ship with video cables that also includes HD-enabled.

If you can live without it, I'd put that $30 into a game or how about some sushi?! I'm only getting it because of my new GB player in hopes that when I get a HDTV, it won't be as muddled.

[quote name='nintendokid']If you can wait, I would be willing to put $100 down, that REV will ship with component in the form similar to 360: the red and white audio, the RGB component for HDTV, a separate yellow composite video for SDTV. But, sometimes, Nintendo works in strange ways. So who knows...so far, 360 has been the first console (to my knowledge, since I've never owned Saturn, 3D0, Dreamcast, etc. plus I don't think component was big yet) to ship with video cables that also includes HD-enabled.

If you can live without it, I'd put that $30 into a game or how about some sushi?! I'm only getting it because of my new GB player in hopes that when I get a HDTV, it won't be as muddled.[/QUOTE]

I actually think that Nintendo is going to us the same AV cords again. They haven't changed the AV cord since the SNES, but then again, it could always happen.

[quote name='nintendokid']only 1% of GCN owners will want to use the progressive scan mode? There are about 10,000,000+ GCN's out there. Only 1 in every 100,000 owner wil use it. Wow....1%, and yet, Nintendo still caters to to us, the minority of HDTV users. Now that's fan dedication.[/QUOTE] frankly i dont believe the numbers. i think it is cheaper for them to manufacture the cube without that port however. but i guess nintendo doesnt think kids(its main demographic) care about high def. theyre probably right. with its new system on the way, they're gonna squeeze every penny they can out of the existing one, and that means minimizing production costs. hd may not be in the majority, but every new tv purchase from here on out will(for the most part) be an hdtv. soon an empire of hdtv's will rise and destroy us all!:hot:

[quote name='j.elles']I'm on the fence here. Anyone here think Revolution will ship with the component cables.[/QUOTE]

I have the component cable (got free shipping because I ordered them when I got the Metroid Prime bundle package which had free shipping--Game, memory card, subscription, $10 off coupon off Wavebird all for $70.)

Anyway, I got my cable in 2002, so I've gotten over 3 years of progressive scan goodness out of them. There really is a noticable difference . . . not so much in sharpness more so in brightness--many games look really sweet on HD with the Cube. At this point, I guess I would wait for the Revolution rather then spend the dough. I think the Xbox 360 cable is the direction that all systems should take.

BTW, when I got that MP bundle, the memory card it came with was a 59 but I swapped if for a 252 when I returned it (without receipt) to CC and then used a $5 off BB coupon (pricematched) to get a 251 memory card down to $15 which was the store credit of the returned one . . . what a bastard!

I'm on the fence here. thinking about getting the component cable... but many on CAG has mentioned that the Rev may come with component anyway.... should I wait for the Rev or plunge in for the cube?

[quote name='racthamp']I'm on the fence here. thinking about getting the component cable... but many on CAG has mentioned that the Rev may come with component anyway.... should I wait for the Rev or plunge in for the cube?[/QUOTE]

Wait . . . unless you have $35 burning a hole in your pocket.

Since the Rev is so close . . . it doesn't make sense to get it now.

Or, I know some people managed to find the used at GS or EB (rare and all but possible).

**UPDATE**
These cables are no longer listed for sale via the Nintendo.com website. They are just not listed as OOS but as no longer available for purchase. The last few sets on E-Bay have all gone for over $50.00 plus.

[quote name='racthamp']I'm on the fence here. thinking about getting the component cable... but many on CAG has mentioned that the Rev may come with component anyway.... should I wait for the Rev or plunge in for the cube?[/quote]

Unless y'all got something different from mine, the component cable is just for the video, you still need the regular AV cable for the audio. Unless of course y'all think the Rev. is gonna use 2 cables as well. I'd see Nintendo copying MS's 360 and putting it all on one cable next time around. Just my observation.

Sorry, I'm American. No ethnicity. Just wondering if I have a different cable.

Dead thread I know. But I didn't feel like starting a new one. Anyway I finally broke and called to order the component cables from Nintendo. And was just going over all the cube titles I know and checking

http://www.hdtvarcade.com/gamecubelist.htm
the list of 480p games. Damn theres a lot of games that are compatible with it. of the 25 or so games I have 22 are compatible. I'm going to be replaying at least a little of more then a couple of my games. Just thought I'd say that. Also there still availible you just have to call Nintendo direct. The web site doesn't have them anymore.

bread's done
Back