Yet ANOTHER Resident Evil Port in the Works

Duckbutt

CAGiversary!
Resident Evil Set for Wii

GameCube version getting ported over.

by Anoop Gantayat and Matt Casamassina

September 24, 2008 - More Resident Evil is on the way for Wii owners over in Japan. Famitsu reveals that a port of the GameCube remake of the original RE is being prepared for a big December 25 release in Capcom's home country.

As with the Japan-only port of Resident Evil Zero, RE will see only minimal changes in its move over to the Wii. Players will now have a wide range of control options, including the Wiimote and nunchuck in combination, which lets players shake the Wiimote to ready their weapons. The game is also compatible with the GameCube and classic controllers. Capcom is even working on a control system where players hold the Wiimote in horizontal 8-bit style position.

As with Zero, it's unlikely that this port will make it out of Japan. Capcom USA's vice president of strategic planning and business development, Christian Svensson, used the company's official forums to comment on the topic.

"In Japan, Zero sold well, indicating that many people have never played the title and there is demand for it. This project is a reaction to the sale of Zero. Like Zero, think of this as a Greatest Hits re-introduction that just happens to be on a new platform," he said. "At the moment, like Zero, this is Japan only. That could change but that's the current situation."

http://wii.ign.com/articles/912/912984p1.html

I shouldn't be surprised this is happening for the third time, but I am. I bought RE4: Wii Edition because I was one of the few who never beat RE4 (owned it for PS2, but never got very far). If the RE0 Wii-make were to come here, I probably wouldn't bother with buying it again. I enjoyed the game, but not enough to buy it for new controls. RE1 on the other hand I'd probably buy again if we were to see this remake (and obviously so would a lot of other people to justify this third remake of RE1). I understand Capcom has to make money whatever way they can, but I'd rather they make another light gun gun ala Umbrella Chronicles or just something totally new for the Wii (since the Wii can't support RE5, though if this trend contiunes, we'll probably see a Wii version of RE5 anyways).

At least Capcom is porting GOOD games, that's about the best I can say about it.

Thing is, though, RE4 was deservedly ported. There was a reason (controls) and it worked. These other two, however, don't seem to have any benefit in being ported. It's a quick cash grab, nothing more.

Shame that RE4 is the 'standard' now, since I'd fucking KILL for a remake (like RE1 Cube) of RE2. Problem is, people would now just want it to be like RE4, so it's not going to happen. Bah.

Now that would be a welcomed remake in my book as well. I still haven't finished RE4, so I can't comment on that, but to this point RE2 is my personal favorite from the series.

Something that was mentioned in the OP about RE4 and applies to me for all RE games is that I haven't played one since the first PS game. I would happily get any ports they made. I enjoyed RE4 having never played it and the same for Okami.

I understand those of you who have already played all these games being frustrated, but I can't imagine Capcom is squandering quality "new game" developers on ports. Either they have teams working on new games alongside the port teams, or they figured out that it is more economically sound to continue porting things and not bother with new games for now. Sales of their other ports (Sega's too) have certainly done well enough for them.

bread's done
Back