Yet More Craigslist Stupidity!

One thing I really hate is when idiots put "$1" in the title and then get pissed off when I try to buy their stuff for a dollar.

Im 99% positive the gift cards are bought at a store with a fraudulent credit card and then they turn around and try to sell it for cash quick because gift card numbers are easily traceable and subject to the retail company voiding the card. So basically they offer such a low price hoping someone hops on it immediately before the company voids it.

I emailed them before, they said "Sorry, I just sold it, but I can tell you where I got it for cheap." and they would follow up with a website that's similar to quidbid, where you buy bids and bid on item hoping to win.

On a side note, don't you get annoyed when someone posts stuff like "Huge bundle" or "biggest PS3 collection on craigslist" and you click on it, and there's barely 12 odd games. haha

[quote name='wugenius']How legitimate are these kinds of pleas for help?
https://accounts.craigslist.org/eaf...c6v2RiXKx9be8M4xfYRZx70BRw5gMkrOOqRPgI_FPOUwW
wanted donated wii system for sick little boy (highland)

Date: 2012-01-31, 1:10AM PST
Reply to:
Wanted a donated wii system for sick little boy whose wii got stolen text 909-***-****

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
[/QUOTE]

Always go with the assumption the beggar ads are bullshit, because they almost always are. I've seen similar ads asking for free or insanely cheap video games, often accompanied with a list of certain titles wanted that just happens to be every rare/high value game ever made, or ads for Legos, designer clothes, furniture etc.

And I've seen the beggars claim to be doing it for children's hospitals, autistic kids, special ed classes etc. but never any proof. One person even kept posting the same ad begging for any free furniture, kids clothes and baby stuff including high end strollers for months, if not years. People responded to the ads asking how long the alleged poor mother would need new infant clothes, furniture etc. because the same ad had been running for years, others also said they donated to the lady and later saw their handouts re-posted for sale.

[quote name='pollmonster']NINTENDO ACTION SET W/GAMES - $3000 (MID-MICH)

M SELLING A NINTENDO ACTION SET COMES WITH DUCK HUNT/SUPER MARIO BROS.
THIS ITEM IS LIKE NEW NO WEAR ON ANYTHING, IT IS THE FIRST OF NINTENDOS GAMING.
ITEM HAS BEEN VALUED AT 3000.
ALSO HAVE GAMES
TECMO BOWL / VALUED AT 250
SUPER BOWL / VALUED AT 375
R.C. PRO AM /VALUED AT 400
DR.MARIO / AT 100
VEGAS DREAM/ 100
ALL PRO BASKETBALL/ 15

EVERYTHING IS LIKE NEW ALL WORKS HAS ORIGINAL BOXING ACTION SET HAS ALL THE ORIGINAL BOOKS.

IM ASKING 3000.00 OBO E-MAIL ME AT TAZMAN29 @ HOT MAIL COM

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/vgm/2839452009.html

:rofl::rofl::rofl:[/QUOTE]

Obviously his asking prices are in pennies. Yep, that would actually work out to about the correct values. Must be a Craigslist parsing issue with it removing periods from prices in ads.

Last edited by a moderator:
HA HA HA.. best.. Craigslist conversation... EVER!!

http://cnj.craigslist.org/vgm/2853316138.html

For sale a super rare copy of Splatterhouse for the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES)
comes in a red cart

Will post pictures soon.
Serious bidders only
Open to communication.
No refunds
I have tested and checked this game. Everything is working fine.

THIS IS FOLLOWED UP SHORTLY BY THIS:
http://cnj.craigslist.org/vgm/2853494001.html

Do NOT be scammed by this ideiot. Splatterhouse was not released in north america on the Nintendo. This guy is selling a fake fan made video game for 75.00.. It is not RARE it's FAKE...

I should meet him to buy it and kick his ass.. Just do a Google search for all know titles for the NES.. There is no splatterhouse.
Would love to see a picture of this game.. Prob in a clear red case.

THIS WAS FOLLOWED UP BY THIS:
http://cnj.craigslist.org/vgm/2853763714.html

Are you the same idiot that complained about Earthbound for $300?

If so, please shut up. You really don't know anything. Go nerd rage to someone who cares.

For the record Splatterhouse was released on the famicon. The version that came out for the NES is a fan made repro.

It is rare to find this fan-made copy.

If anyone wants to get it, let them. But you sir/ma'am are an idiot and sound like some idiotic 15 year old.

Please do us all a favor and shut up! You are annoying

really? doesn't look like any of that is silver plated... where'd the $100 price come from?

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/vgm/2848782121.html

Vintage Intellivision - $100 (Olathe, KS)

Date: 2012-02-15, 10:35PM CST
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

This is a vintage Intellivision gaming system from the early 80's. It comes with 6 games: 4 in boxes with overlays and 2 without. The game console is in very good condition. This was working the last time I hooked it up to play, but that was 3 years ago so I can't guarantee anything. We have a new TV and don't have the right equipment to hook up and test it. It has been stored inside our TV cabinet in a non-smoking/pet free home. Please e-mail with questions.

[quote name='Zarathos']really? doesn't look like any of that is silver plated... where'd the $100 price come from?

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/vgm/2848782121.html

Vintage Intellivision - $100 (Olathe, KS)

Date: 2012-02-15, 10:35PM CST

This is a vintage Intellivision gaming system from the early 80's. It comes with 6 games: 4 in boxes with overlays and 2 without. The game console is in very good condition. This was working the last time I hooked it up to play, but that was 3 years ago so I can't guarantee anything. We have a new TV and don't have the right equipment to hook up and test it. It has been stored inside our TV cabinet in a non-smoking/pet free home. Please e-mail with questions.[/QUOTE]

lol wow :lol:

[quote name='shadyfozzie']Should I report this?
http://cnj.craigslist.org/vgm/2851490826.html[/QUOTE]

craigslist doesn't seem to care about people peddling their illegal goods and services on their site. I always flag these as spam/overpost because they post this junk multiple times a day in my area. I'll usually flag from my phone, ipad at work, and also from the IP at home so they get multiple flags from different IP addresses. It has cut down on the spamming of these shit-services in my area a lot.

I think it's better to just make it hard for them to repost their ad and have the auto-flagging trigger than try to eliminate it entirely. If CL is taking their ads down for spam and they can only post one post a week, it at least gets buried pretty quickly. Flagging as prohibited never did anything, spam/overpost seems to trigger easier.

Miscategorized might even work because they're technically not selling an item, they're selling a service and it should be posted in that area of the site. I wouldn't give a shit if they posted their "i'll break your system for just $50 and let you be a dirty thief" ads in the "services" section.

[quote name='Rexall']I don't understand what's wrong with modding xbox's? Sure the price is nuts and most likely a typo....but what gives?[/QUOTE]
I don't either. The person in question doesn't list any games for sale, only that he is offering a service.

I'm one of those people who firmly believe that once I pay for something, it's mine and I should be able to do as I please with it. Hence the reason I have an Android phone and not an iPhone.

[quote name='Rexall']I don't understand what's wrong with modding xbox's? Sure the price is nuts and most likely a typo....but what gives?[/QUOTE]

Circumventing copyright protection is not legal in the us.

Furthermore these "services" sell "backups" which is 100% illegal and indefensible as theft. They should all be fined heavily or imprisoned, or forced to get a real job and stop stealing to make a living.

[quote name='SlammedNiss']I don't either. The person in question doesn't list any games for sale, only that he is offering a service.

I'm one of those people who firmly believe that once I pay for something, it's mine and I should be able to do as I please with it. Hence the reason I have an Android phone and not an iPhone.[/QUOTE]

That's all nice and good but just because you believe something doesn't override the current law on the matter.

iPhone jailbreaking is legal anyway, right? I thought that was a ruling a few years ago.

[quote name='jer7583']Circumventing copyright protection is not legal in the us.

Furthermore these "services" sell "backups" which is 100% illegal and indefensible as theft. They should all be fined heavily or imprisoned, or forced to get a real job and stop stealing to make a living.[/QUOTE]

I'm not intending to start a flame war or anything, but what I do with my Xbox or any other game system is my choice. If I choose to make backups of the games I buy is legal.

Unfortunately some people do not have fancy jobs to buy $60 games all the time. For example, I had a chance to buy Earthbound when I was a kid;however, my family was dirt poor.

Now if I want to buy it, I have to pay $150 or more. Is that the type of system you are advocating for?

All I'm trying to say is it's not just black and white for everyone. There are shades of grey. Moddng an Xbox is perfectly legal. Using it to play backups of games that you do not own is illegal.

And yes the iphone jailbreak is legal.

[quote name='jer7583']That's all nice and good but just because you believe something doesn't override the current law on the matter.

iPhone jailbreaking is legal anyway, right? I thought that was a ruling a few years ago.[/QUOTE]
Isn't that a contradicting statement? If iPhone jailbreaking is legal, how is modding an xbox not?

TBH, I used to download games and movies left and right, just to say I had a huge library to choose from. I had PS1, PS2, Xbox, GC, DC, music, movies, TV, etc. Would I have bought all those games had I not downloaded them? Absolutely not. Besides the fact, with the exception of current gen systems, if you pirate a PS1/GC/Xbox game, are the game companies REALLY losing out anymore?

My current setup consists of a 360, Wii, PS2, and Xbox. Of those 4, only 2 are modded. (PS2 and Xbox) I still have some PS2 "backups", but the main reason it's modded is so I can save games to the 120GB HDD installed and save my laser. Same thing with the Xbox, with the exception that the Xbox makes an awesome retro system emulator. Not only can I save games to the 300GB HDD, I can also play 2600, TG-16, NES, SNES, Genesis, etc. without having to get my original systems out of their original box. (and yes, I DO OWN all those systems)

I'm not here to start a war/argument either on whether or not modding a system is legal. But if you are trying to tell me that a majority on this site have NEVER downloaded a game, movie, music, etc., you are extremely gullible.

Legendary Skylanders - $130 (crestline)
Date: 2012-02-17, 1:17PM EST

unopened toys r us legendary skylanders, package is in mint condition, sold out in stores.
set has BASH, CHOP CHOP AND SPYRO. price is firm as they are hard to get.

Good luck with that.

[quote name='Rexall']I'm not intending to start a flame war or anything, but what I do with my Xbox or any other game system is my choice. If I choose to make backups of the games I buy is legal.

Unfortunately some people do not have fancy jobs to buy $60 games all the time. For example, I had a chance to buy Earthbound when I was a kid;however, my family was dirt poor.

Now if I want to buy it, I have to pay $150 or more. Is that the type of system you are advocating for?

All I'm trying to say is it's not just black and white for everyone. There are shades of grey. Moddng an Xbox is perfectly legal. Using it to play backups of games that you do not own is illegal.

And yes the iphone jailbreak is legal.[/QUOTE]

Yes, the system I am advocating for is one where goods that are scarce or in demand fetch a price based on what the market is willing to pay. Not one where people justify theft because they think something costs too much. Besides, with how quickly games drop in price these days, that's just a stupid excuse.

These ads are for a service that is illegal and has only one purpose: stealing. What you feel about the matter is your business, but the fact is that it is illegal.

The iPhone situation was specific to that device as I understand it. There is no legal loophole for modifying an Xbox to circumvent its intended purpose to play only legitimately purchased discs and software. You have no right to anything more than that.

That makes no sense. Based on your logic, DVD-RW's, VCR's, and any duplication device is illegal.

Every three years, the Librarian of Congress and the Copyright Office entertain proposed exemptions to the DMCA, passed in 1998. The act forbids circumventing encryption technology to copy or modify copyrighted works.

Based on the DMCA, then yes I agree with you 100%. But if I want to mod my PS3 to install Linux, or mod my Xbox360 to load a better media extender. I can not. However you are calling that illegal, when the DMCA clearly allows me to do so.

It is because of the DMCA that allowed jailbreaking an iphone to be legal. What Apple was trying to do was use the DMCA to justify their very restrictive business model. The Copyright Office concluded that, "while a copyright owner might try to restrict the programs that can be run on a particular operating system, copyright law is not the vehicle for imposition of such restrictions."

DVD-RWs and VCRs are not illegal because they have legitimate purposes. It's the same with the iphone jailbreaking.

Breaking the copyright protection on an xbox or ps3 or wii is not legal because of DMCA's prohibiting of breaking the means by which copyright is protected on a device. Anything that is done that removes copyright protection methods put in place by the copyright holder is illegal. Flashing is 100% illegal because it removes the system's ability to determine if a disc or software is legitimate or not. Therefore these ads and services are 100% illegal and craigslist should remove them.

It's nice if you want linux or a better media extender. Unfortunately if the means by which you accomplish that also remove the copyright protection on the device, you're breaking the law. You don't have the right to do what you want with your devices.

[quote name='jer7583']DVD-RWs and VCRs are not illegal because they have legitimate purposes. It's the same with the iphone jailbreaking.[/QUOTE]
What possible legitimate purposes could circumventing ios's copyright protection have?

[quote name='needler420']What's so hard for people to understand doing back ups is copyright infringement and its criminal.[/QUOTE]
Oh really?

Section 117 of the US Copyright Laws:
§ 117. Limitations on exclusive rights: Computer programs Notwithstanding the provisions of section 106, it is not an infringement for the owner of a copy of a computer program to make or authorize the making of another copy or adaptation of that computer program provided: (1) that such a new copy or adaptation is created as an essential step in the utilization of the computer program in conjunction with a machine and that it is used in no other manner, or (2) that such new copy or adaptation is for archival purposes only and that all archival copies are destroyed in the event that continued possession of the computer program should cease to be rightful.

[quote name='Techman16']Lol way to keep it low profile[/QUOTE]

That's some nice photoshopping.

I was talking to a kid that modded systems a while back. He was telling me wht MW2 came out, he made an easy 6k in a week modding systems. Ended up using the money to pay for school.

Gotta do what you gotta do to get by

[quote name='SlammedNiss']What possible legitimate purposes could circumventing ios's copyright protection have?[/QUOTE]

"Wu cited an explicit exemption issued by the Library of Congress in 2006 for personal unlocking, which notes that locks "are used by wireless carriers to limit the ability of subscribers to switch to other carriers, a business decision that has nothing whatsoever to do with the interests protected by copyright" and thus do not implicate the DMCA."

Circumventing carrier based locks on what service a phone can be used on is legal. Circumventing copywright protection is not legal.

You also have the right to a backup copy but not necessarily the right to run that backup copy.

I'm tired of arguing about this. The modding services on Craigslist and everywhere else are 100% illegal and deserve to be flagged off just as much as someone selling a locksmith's kit to gain entry to an automobile or an unlicensed firearm.

[quote name='ZombieToast']It's a good thing you guys are arguing this because it really has a huge impact on my personal life and what I choose to do with it.[/QUOTE]
I asked a question about circumventing ios, and I received an answer. Somebody mentioned backups were illegal, and I provided the law that states they are indeed legal. I didn't realize that was arguing?

I came here looking for overpriced Madden '98 and Mickey's Speedway games and find this. Let's end this noise... modding ANYTHING YOU OWN for your OWN PERSONAL USE is legal. Making backup games for YOUR OWN PERSONAL USE is legal. Letting someone else "indulge" in the product through "transfer" by any means for any compensation is ILLEGAL.

[quote name='CL-Insanity']I came here looking for overpriced Madden '98 and Mickey's Speedway games and find this. Let's end this noise... modding ANYTHING YOU OWN for your OWN PERSONAL USE is legal. Making backup games for YOUR OWN PERSONAL USE is legal. Letting someone else "indulge" in the product through "transfer" by any means for any compensation is ILLEGAL.[/QUOTE]

Its still not legal just because its personal use. You have to own the original and even then I'm pretty sure that's doesn't make it legal to use any rom of that game you have to use specific licensed roms.

If i go and download a new release movie that's not legal just because its for personal and not for profit. Its still copyright infringement and is an actual criminal offense.

Hence why its not allowed on the site other wise CheapyD would be facilitating illegal transactions on his site. Iv seen a few people already get cease and desist orders from the big movies companies. Some of them were big bootleggers and some small time that were only on a personal level.

Of course the bigger the fish you are the less unlikely you'll get thrown back.

On a pirating site for xbox360 I have actually seen a few members have their PCs confiscated. These people range from big time bootleggers making profit to just the small independent people doing backups for personal use and ignored their cease and desist orders. Granted the chances of action being taken against someone is slim to none but my point is you don't need to profit in excess of 10k before you'll start getting the letters/phone calls and knocks at the door. Just ask the people who use bad torrents.

Did anyone have the same experience as me because in the past 2 weeks, I have 3 people asking me to price match some random/mysterious craigslist ads' price? haha

PS3 Guitar Hero stuff - $200 (Amsterdam)

Date: 2012-02-17, 1:12AM EST

I have a large bundle of PS3 Guitar Hero stuff.

Guitar Hero World Tour bundle, (drums, 1 guitar, microphone, and game)
Guitar Hero Aerosmith (guitar and game)
Guitar Hero Legends of Rock
Guitar Hero Warriors of Rock
1 more guitar (not sure if it belongs to the legends of rock or to the warriors of rock)

That's 4 games, 3 guitars, 1 microphone, and 1 drum set.

Asking $200 for the entire package, I am NOT splitting up the package and selling things individually, sorry. All adult owned and never abused. I no longer have a PS3, so I don't have any use for the games.
Email or call/txt 5one8 Available weekends or morning/early afternoons during the week.
it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
5Ia5H45Ja3Id3Mf3H5c1m0c32d81728dc1be7.jpg

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/vgm/2860441996.html

Wii, Games and Accessories - $650 (Imperial/Robinson/Greentree)

Date: 2012-02-19, 10:42PM EST

I have a Wii, a bunch of games and accessories for sale. The entire list is below. I priced everything out individually on Gamestop.com, took the used price, added it up, and came up with about $700 total for everything...but I will sell for $650 or best offer!

Everything comes from a smoke free, and childless home...therefore everything is in great condition!

Smarty Pants
Tiger Woods 09 All Play & Golf Club Accessory
Game Party 2
Wii Sports
Mario Kart Wii & 2 Wheels
EA Active Bundle
Wii Fit Plus & Balance Board
Wii Balance Board Protective Silicone Cover
Glee Karaoke Revolution w/Microphone
Rock Band 2
Rock Band Country Pack
Rock Band Microphone
Rock Band Wireless Guitar
Rock Band Wireless Drums
2 Rechargeable batteries and charger Pad
Wii Console, 2 Controllers, 2 Nunchuks, and all wires/cords

By my estimate, $250 is the high-end of a "decent" price, but $650? Seriously?

And a smoke-free/childless home ≠ great condition, in my experience.

I LOL at all the people selling Rockband and Guitar Hero stuff. I see the guitars all the time at Goodwill for $6 apiece and sometimes a drumset for $10. Big Lots was even selling brand new copies of the games for $5 apiece. They also have $20 brand new DJ Hero sets but why would you want that when you can give someone on CL $40 for their used stuff???

[quote name='juangrande386']I LOL at all the people selling Rockband and Guitar Hero stuff. I see the guitars all the time at Goodwill for $6 apiece and sometimes a drumset for $10. Big Lots was even selling brand new copies of the games for $5 apiece. They also have $20 brand new DJ Hero sets but why would you want that when you can give someone on CL $40 for their used stuff???[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's somewhat funny trying to talk them down in price too. They'll usually say that they can get more if they traded into Gamestop. Yeah, good luck with them even having GS take that crap in as trade-ins anymore(especially the guitars, since GS turning them away).

hahahaha... not sure what Ebay he's looking at, but I'm not seeing $55 for those games... (unless he means collectively, not each)

either way, it's still more than I paid for my Dreamcast console and 5 games... (not those games, but 5 games > 3 games :) )

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/vgm/2863317536.html

sega dreamcast and three games - $69 (kcmo)

Date: 2012-02-21, 1:28PM CST

windows cap. w soul calibur/jap rare incl./star wars and all complete..games go 4 55 on ebay alone call kyle 913 999

what? it's a Nitendo you say? that lack of an N makes all the difference... apparently you have to pay more for one less N....

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/vgm/2862996360.html

Super Nitendo with One Controller and Cords - $40 (Olathe, KS)

Date: 2012-02-21, 11:02AM CST

Super Nitendo with One Controller and Cords.

Contact Anne at: 913-534-xxxxx

To see all my listings do a search for my phone number in all for sale/wanted or for specific items search my phone number in each individual category.

ummmm... let's see here... games 4 years old or more... I have a suspicion that my best offer would be significantly lower than his idea of one...

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/vgm/2862854067.html

Playstation 1 with 1 game and PS2 with 10 games - $100 (Plaza)

Date: 2012-02-21, 9:53AM CST

I have for sale a Playstation 1 with 2 controllers and Gran Tourismo 2 game. I also have a PS2 with 2 controllers, a remote, 1 memory card and the following games:

Madden 2006, Madden 2008, Need for Speed Underground 2, Gran Tourismo 3, Gran Tourismo 4, Tiger Woods 2006, Monster Jam, SSX Tricky, GTA Vice City, & NFL 2K2

Both consoles include all necessary cables and work properly. $100 for all, OR BEST OFFER. Please send an email or text 636.three five nine.xxxxx if interested. Thanks

ok... I can't even think of something smarmy to say about this deal... my mind has gone blank with the stupidity of it... 5-6 year old PC game for anything more than a quarter just kind of shocks me...

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/vgm/2856518412.html

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 06 PC Game - $10 (Excelsior Springs)

Date: 2012-02-21, 9:17AM CST

I have for sale like new Tiger Woods PGA Tour 06 PC Video Game. I rarely played it so it is like new. I am asking $10 for 06. Contact me at this email address or calls only at 816-456

This guy is out of his mind:

Hello I am selling Mercinaries 2 World In Flames, Farcry 2,College Hoops 2K7,007 Quatum Of Solace- If I break Up Its 20$ a Game But If you buy all Ill take 60 Text 330-201-xxxx

[quote name='daman22']why do u care so much that others mod xboxes? let them do as they please, they arent hurting anyone[/QUOTE]

It's illegal and, more importantly, tremendously annoying.

Instead of calling someone an asshat on this thread, you're better off just writing to the guy on CL and find out what the 5 games are.

Who's the asshat, the one that did the posting on CL, or the one typing in all caps throwing a hissyfit like a 10 year old.

bread's done
Back