YMMV - $5 and $1 Walmart "clearance?" Games

hertzy

CAGiversary!
I know there is a Walmart thread but thought this could stand on its own.  If not, please move/delete.  I visited 3 Walmarts.  This "clearance" was only occurring at one of them.  Games listed are $5 unless otherwise noted. Games I purchased and/or saw:

Darksiders II Limited Edition

Red Faction Armageddon

Dead Space II Limited Edition

Aliens Colonial Marines Walmart Edition

Disneyland Adventures

007 Legends

Child of Eden $1

Zone of Enders HD Collection

Singularity

Kinectimals - now with Bears

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 13 - Masters Collectors Edition

Metal Gear Rising

Guitar Hero ACDC $1

Black Eyed Peas Kinect Something Something $1

Dance Central 2

PS3

God of War Origins Collection

Wolfenstein New Order(this was surprising)

Madden 11

Madden 12

007 Legends

Darksiders II Limited Edition

3DS

Centipede Infestation $1

Pilotwings Resort

Batman Arkham Origins Blackgate

Ben 10 Racing Game

Lego Naruto Something Something

Wii

Black Eyed Peas $1

Wii Music $10

Just Dance Something Something

Also some PC games.

I'll add if I remember any more.  Worth checking your local Walmart.

Last edited by a moderator:
I found a big bin of "clearance" games at a Walmart in Greenville, SC. Dungeon Hunters Alliance for Vita...only $29.99. And a whole bunch of other games for all systems that are several to many years old -- all ringing up $19.99-$29.99.

Yikes. Walmart does suck with their inconsistencies. Hope maybe the bin is there in a plan to actually put the games down to $5. My experience with Walmarts in my area has me thinking that probably won't happen. But who knows?

Walmart clearance is the absolute most random, YMMV, needle in a haystack retail situation I have ever seen in my life. Prices can vary widely from store to store within the same city, and as many have mentioned, there often seems to be little to no logic to it AT ALL.
You just have to get lucky and find that true diamond in the rough store that has these legendary, random markdowns...they DO happen. Here are a few examples just from the last two years.
I went into a store one morning around two years ago, and found the pricing team in the middle of marking practically everything in a rather large toy clearance section down to $1, some of the larger stuff $5 ($50 razor scooters, etc). I was able to fill a cart overflowing with toys for around $50. When you have a young son, and lots of young nieces and nephews, having a closet full of cheap presents for the multitude of birthdays, holidays, class parties, etc is huge.
More recently at the same store I found 3 Charizard Amiibo's marked down to $8! Why would you clearance a high demand, hard to find item like this??!
Most recently, another store a few miles away had Skylander Trap Team bundles marked down to $10 (and of course, there was an odd wrinkle: all consoles were $10, except for xbox 360, which was $59.99).
That is a great deal already, but last month there were $10 off Trap Team starter bundle coupons readily available in Cheerios boxes,and included in Happy Meals, both of which I could buy within that same WalMart. So I could go in and get some cereal or a happy meal for my kid for $3-4, and then grab a Trap Team Starter bundle for free, without leaving the store.
Those are one of just a few instances of random, good luck in the wild, and i do go to a LOT of Walmarts, so my sample size is large, but they do happen.
When the crazy Wally World clearance gods shine down on you in your favor, just go with the flow, count your blessings and enjoy.

Well some of those games are normally $9.96 online anyways? lol

I know Red Faction Armageddon & Dead Space II Limited Edition is coz I brought them a while back for PS3...

Picked up a Trap Team bundle for PS4 today for $8 at my local Walmart; They had all consoles for the bundle marked this price (Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS3...did not notice any Wii U but it might have been there too) along with Disney Infinity 2.0 bundles for the same price (all consoles).  Last but not least, they also had Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition for $20 on both Xbox One and PS4.  I thought about picking that one up, but bought the PC version for cheaper a few months ago.  They had other clearance in store that's not worth mentioning (high priced stuff like Diablo III Reaper of Souls for PC ($24.99) & old sports games.

As always, YMMV on Walmart Clearance (this location is the Kings Canyon Walmart in Fresno CA) (not the armpit of California, but close...)

I miss deals like this.

Back in Ann Arbor MI, the Walmarts around there would massively slash games and call it clearance.

I remember finding Sims 3 bundles for $5

I got Castlevania Lords of Shadow for $7 6-8months after it came out.

I remember walking out of that area with a stack of clerance games, and actually having clearance isles.

Now in Massachusetts, the most I find in clearance are 10% or less off.

I found a Wii U Charging station with WiiMote batteries on clearance today for $26, when retail is like $30.

I've asked why their clearance it's are barely reduced, they claimed corporate only allows them to take so much off.. which makes me curious as to how Ann Arbor's multiple stores got away with it.

I've found the same headset which is going for under $5 in my home town, clearanced at $19 here, when retail is $20.

This was just marked down last week

hTIM4AT.jpg

Yeah...bad picture...that's NBA Live 2002 for Xbox marked ALLLLLLLLLLLLL the way down to only $38.97.

Can we talk about Target's YMMV while we're on this subject?
Apparently after the game is removed from their system/no longer shipping it goes back to their original retail value?
My local target has 8 copies of Other M for $50 still....

Apparently after the game is removed from their system/no longer shipping it goes back to their original retail value?
Whenever I see titles like this I think about Target's financial position after the data/hacking breach and cutbacks they've made on clearances, even setting titles back to retail prices to fool clueless relatives looking for titles for the grandkids. Perhaps that's what they are doing, or keeping titles like Other M in-stock to fill in the out-of-stock holes they may have with other games and systems.

If prices for Other M are just way too high for example, price match it to retailers like Best Buy, that have it for $13.99.

There's another thread on Target ;)

But yeah, their clearances can sometimes be pretty comical as well. Though not as universally bad as Wal-Mart tends to be. I've actualy found a few outstanding scores at Target (not necessary just games, but other random items too - I scored some Texas Intstruments calculators for 90% off, some bathroom and kitchen stuff, blu-ray movies on an endcap for $2, etc). I'm struggling to think of any time I looked at a Wal-Mart clearance area and didn't laugh - or just walk away after realizing it was all junk.

BTW, while we are on the topic of old items. Wal-Mart even does this on GROCERY items. Store I sometimes go to had those "Amy's Organic's Pizza bites" which I actually kinda like. They were clearanced for $2 when they are normally like $3.99 or $4.49. I would have bought several for $2, thankfully before I bought them, I noticed they had a "use by date" from Dec 2011. I looked through all of them thinking it had to be a fluke; but many of them were indeed from 2011, the ones that weren't 2011 were 2013. I know it's a frozen item (assuming it wasn't defrosted at some point, which might be a stretch). Selling frozen goods on "clearance" when it's 4 years past it's use by date? :headache: :puke:

There's another thread on Target ;)

But yeah, their clearances can sometimes be pretty comical as well. Though not as universally bad as Wal-Mart tends to be. I've actualy found a few outstanding scores at Target (not necessary just games, but other random items too - I scored some Texas Intstruments calculators for 90% off, some bathroom and kitchen stuff, blu-ray movies on an endcap for $2, etc). I'm struggling to think of any time I looked at a Wal-Mart clearance area and didn't laugh - or just walk away after realizing it was all junk.

BTW, while we are on the topic of old items. Wal-Mart even does this on GROCERY items. Store I sometimes go to had those "Amy's Organic's Pizza bites" which I actually kinda like. They were clearanced for $2 when they are normally like $3.99 or $4.49. I would have bought several for $2, thankfully before I bought them, I noticed they had a "use by date" from Dec 2011. I looked through all of them thinking it had to be a fluke; but many of them were indeed from 2011, the ones that weren't 2011 were 2013. I know it's a frozen item (assuming it wasn't defrosted at some point, which might be a stretch). Selling frozen goods on "clearance" when it's 4 years past it's use by date? :headache: :puke:
At my local Target, I've seen clearance games go down to $5, then 3 weeks later be $50-$60

When I asked what happened, the manager of the electronics department said that the moment the item is delisted from inventory/stock, the game goes back to the original retail price.

I already bought Other M years ago.... never again. I was just using it as an example.

I did oddly on the other hand find 3 games last week and picked them up for very cheap, Neir, Dungeon Siege 3, and Sonic & Sega Allstars Racing were around $6 each.

Also you're right, Target will not match Clearance prices.. even their own!

Anyways, back on topic.

I miss Walmart clearances, back in my hometown there were 3-4 Targets and Walmarts within 10 miles.

Each of them would have their own unique clearance and sales which were really a bargain hunter's dream.

Honestly, I really want to move back home now but.. that's another rant.

bread's done
Back