YMMV: GameStop "moving" sales 20% off entire purchase coupon

preston181

CAGiversary!
My town has, or rather had 3 Gamestops. One of them is closing, also known as "moving" it's inventory to the other two stores.

The sales guy at the closing store handed me a coupon good for 20% off my entire purchase at the other stores. Intrigued, I asked the guy why they were moving. He said that some of the lower performing stores were shutting down. I asked if the coupon was being offered at every store where this was happening. The reply was yes.

So, I'm going to use the coupon to snag The Darkness II, and some other goodies at a nice 20% off.

The only restrictions for the coupon are that it can't be used for the following: game systems, Game Informer subscriptions, DLC cards, and in combination with a gift card.

Just a heads up to be on the lookout for these coupons if you happen to have a store that's closing/moving in your area.

[quote name='ExplodingRat']I just had one shut down near me, and I was close to the people that worked there. They didn't get any such coupons in store. :([/QUOTE]

Like I said, YMMV. The guy said yes, but we're talking about a GameStop clerk, (no offense). The coupon looks to be of corporate issue, with the affected locations added later by a printer.

Not the greatest deal in the world, but still, getting a new game for $48 is a decent deal.

[quote name='Vinny']Damn, sounds like the opposite of what's happening in my area. We just got our sixth GS 3 weeks ago.[/QUOTE]

we have 4 here within a short drive and I think we may get a 5th here with a new strip mall opening up, so yeah its the opposite here as well :lol: .

[quote name='theandyman85']In Buffalo we have two that are within a 3 min walk of each other. One is on one block, the other is on the next lol.[/QUOTE]

wow well at least if one doesn't have something you don't have to go to far to check the other :lol:

My closest store knew they were closing about 2 weeks ago. I just happened to go in around then and they had the flyers/coupons in the same stand as the weekly ad. Guy said take as many as you want. Grabbed about 2 dozen. Been on a shopping spree this past week and took everything back to a participating store today for a return/rebuy with 20% off. Handed out a few to folks in the line with me. Stacks with other sales/promos like 10% PUR used discount. Good until 2/19 at 3 stores that I frequent often.

Is there a list or any way to actually know which stores are closing other than randomly asking? I'm in Los Angeles and have easily a couple dozen stores within a moderate drive from my home/work. Wouldn't shock me to lose 1 or 2 from the more concentrated areas that doubled up when they converted the EBGames stores.

OP, where was your store?

two GameStops in my area are closing (oddly there are three within a 5 mile radius but they all do really well so none of them are closing)

I'm going to have to go by the one in the mall that's closing and see if they have these coupons

be a good way to grab some XBL or PSN cards

[quote name='preston181']The only restrictions for the coupon are that it can't be used for the following: game systems, Game Informer subscriptions, DLC cards, and in combination with a gift card.
.[/QUOTE]

Not positive, but Gamestop might consider Live/PSN cards (to include MSN/PSN Point cards) to be DLC cards. Again, not positive, but it wouldn't surprise me.

I have three in my area all right across the street from each other, and one of them just recently or is still in the process of closing, or moving to the newer store. Mine had those 20% off coupons too, which I used combined with my PUR 10% on used. Was a good deal. 20% off coupons for Gamestop are hard to come by these days.

Is the coupon code unique, or the same for all???? Would love this to purchase metal gear CE for Xbox my local GS has it for $59

Went in and did an application check-in at the mall (hey, a job is a job at this point) and had the extremely awkward moment of asking if they they were hiring at a store that was closing down. Truth is there are two Gamestop owned stores in the mall here and the first one I went too had a lease closing up so that one is getting closed down. So I guess it wasn't performance but rather corporate didn't see it viable to have two stores in a mall where rent is always going up.

In any case there was no coupons there, at least at the time.

[quote name='thegame956']Is the coupon code unique, or the same for all???? Would love this to purchase metal gear CE for Xbox my local GS has it for $59[/QUOTE]

I am almost positive it's just a general code, but it's only valid at certain stores. Like, the one that closed gave out a coupon that I could only use at the other two stores across the street. So not every store will accept this, only the ones specified on the coupon (and yes, the stores were listed on the coupon).

Can someone post a picture of the coupon showing the list of the stores closing (not the actual coupon barcode)? Or just a list? I have a bunch of GS's in my area but some are closer than others and this coupon would be great especially for FFXIII-2.

Aaaaaand another ymmv post where the op doesn't say what city he's in so people in and around that city can take advantage..

Also, if the store is kown to be closing, I -highly- doubt they will be getting any new stock in.

[quote name='PatelKing']Can someone post a picture of the coupon showing the list of the stores closing (not the actual coupon barcode)? Or just a list? I have a bunch of GS's in my area but some are closer than others and this coupon would be great especially for FFXIII-2.[/QUOTE]

The coupon doesn't show a list of closing stores. It's specific to each area. My closing store had coupons, and the stores listed were just the two that you can use the coupon at. That's it.

This is actually not a great deal to post here, it should go in the regional section. It's too YMMV even for a thread titled with YMMV. Here is all the information so you guys don't go crazy trying to locate coupons you won't be able to use unless your store is closing: Store moving inventory to another store across the street. Closing store is giving customer's a 20% off coupon to use ONLY at the other store(s) across the street (or wherever your next closest Gamestop is). Only thing on my coupon is a barcode, the information of what you can't use the coupon on, the valid dates, and the address of the two stores across the street where the coupon is valid.

[quote name='Scorch']Aaaaaand another ymmv post where the op doesn't say what city he's in so people in and around that city can take advantage..[/QUOTE]

My closing store is in Boynton Beach, FL.

[quote name='Scorch']Aaaaaand another ymmv post where the op doesn't say what city he's in so people in and around that city can take advantage..

Also, if the store is kown to be closing, I -highly- doubt they will be getting any new stock in.[/QUOTE]

I'm in Zanesville, Ohio. (about 45 minutes east of Columbus)

[quote name='kube00']Too bad none of the 6 in my area are closing. Its a nice YMMV find[/QUOTE]

Yup, what a shame that all of the stores are staying open and no one is losing their jobs, because you won't get a coupon. Seriously, dude?

So, I used my coupon today.

I got: The Darkness II for $47.99, Fallout NV Ultimate for $39.99, and Dead Space 2 for $23.99. All new copies, for a total of $111.97 + tax. Not the greatest deal, but any day that I can screw GameStop out of paying retail is a good day.

On a side note, I had to have my regular store call the one on the other side of town to hold my games, because some asshat decided it was a good idea to only order 4 copies of The Darkness II on release day, and all 4 copies were, of course, reserved. I got the last copy at the second store. The guy bitched about having to turn someone else away for it, and I told him "Look, I'm dropping almost $120 on games here, and it's not my fault you dumbf@cks only ordered 4 reserved copies of the game at the other place." I'd of grabbed Dead Rising 2: Off the Record as well, if they weren't sold out. GameStop ticks me off. It'll be sad that some will lose their jobs, but I will celebrate the day they go under.

happening in my area too. I'm nabbing most of the vita games and a 32 GB memory card. Its per transaction not one item

The catch is it doesn't work on

-Video games systems
-Gift card purchases

Makes you wonder if someone were to buy that PS 3D TV they'd get 20% off that as well...

I got a couple of these coupons and wanted to use it on the 32gb memcard but it doesn't stack with the $50 off one item from the Powerup which is kind of a bummer.

[quote name='theandyman85']In Buffalo we have two that are within a 3 min walk of each other. One is on one block, the other is on the next lol.[/QUOTE]

Lol, I love how the second one smells like Subway all of the time. My girl and I used to go there quite often. Good times.

bread's done
Back