YMMV: Gears of War (XBox 360) for $16 at Half Price Books

CaptainSniffy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
81 (100%)
My local Half Price Books in Redmond, WA had a dozen or so new copies of Gears of War for the 360 for $20. They are having a 20 % off everything sale until the new year, so the price dropped to $16.

I was told by the cashier that this may be YMMV from store to store, but the 20% off thing holds true for all the stores.

Pretty good deal, still $59.99 at retail, but I got my copy for free, when I bought my xbox 360 at gamecrazy they had an offer going on that if you buy 1 used game you get one free

I'd love to get my hands on gears of war but i'm not going to pay the 60 dollars most stores want for it. The game is at least a year or so old....

Does anyone have any idea how HPB gets stock? One week, you go in and they've got copies of Joe Montana Sports Talk Football in ratty Genesis cases, the next week they've got copies of Odin Sphere for half off.

Wow - that's a nice deal. I may call my local HPB store and see if they have it in stock.

EDIT: I just called my two local stores and they don't have it in stock.

The problem with HPB is that they vary so widely on the prices they give out and the quality that they take in that it could be a disaster. I saw one that had a copy of every EA sports game released for the xbox, and half of them looked like the disc and case (seperately) had been kicked across a gravel driveway by a kid that wouldn't take his ritalin. There was one gem - a complete, in box Breath of Fire for the SNES...with Rise of the Robots as a cartridge in the box. That was like getting hit on by a hot chick at a bar, then finding out she's a tranny.

Damn, that's a great deal. I was just at all 7 HPBs around here last week, and didn't see anything, but I'm almost tempted to check the closest one again...
Two things: First, do these have a HPB barcode on them? Those usually signify that multiple Half Prices might have some.
And second, just a heads up to everybody, it's YMMV on the 20% sale still going on; it was only through the 29th at all the MN HPBs, and that's what it says on the (national) Half Price website too.

i'm surprised GOW still sells at $60, you would think price drops to around $40 would happen. i got mine from play-asia a month after it came out for $40. it was the asian version, but only could tell from the box art

20% off deal is dead, the sale ended 12/29/07 (at least here in Texas).

I did pick up Batman: The Killing Joke by Alan Moore for $2 though, so thank you OP for motivating a HPB trip =)

HPB is often worth checking . . . but it is soooooooooooooo very YMMV.

I got a minty complete Halo 3 for $28 about 6 weeks ago.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Since when did Half Price Books sell games?[/quote]
It also sells cheap CDs, DVDs, magazines, a lot of variety there. Its a great store but really I wouldn't count on finding Gears there, one of the largest stores is near me and I frequent it, the store in Dallas is massive and has a horrible selection of recent games, aside from older 360 games, golf games, Atari ones, etc. Never seen a real high quality title there for real cheap. I mean, most Half Price Books stores sell Madden '07 for like 25 dollars, used.

I thought the 20 percent off ended yesterday though?

I found a sealed mint N64 Super Mario Golf for $3.96 at HPB a couple years ago. Haven't found anything worth a shit since then.

[quote name='rly723']i'm surprised GOW still sells at $60, you would think price drops to around $40 would happen. i got mine from play-asia a month after it came out for $40. it was the asian version, but only could tell from the box art[/quote]

Amazon had it for $40 and Target for $38 around BF. There was a post about someone finding it priced as a clearance game at CUSA which entitled you to use it as part of B1G1F. My CUSA did not have it priced as a clearance game, unfortunately, and we know that now you can get all games at CUSA for the astounding discount of 10% off retail... :cry:

[quote name='Zhanmadao']lol a book store that sells games[/quote]

Books don't have the selling power they used to, certainly not enough to hold up a business by itself. It's hard to find a bookstore these days that doesn't sell more than books. Walk into a Borders or Barnes & Noble and you see significant sections devoted to coffee, movies, and music.

HPB is very YMMV but you can find really good deals or rare items... Like any used items, it really depends on what other people bring in to sell to them.

Also, I'm guessing depending on the pricing staff, you may be able to find a real steal.

Some staff are way too saavy for my CAGiness, though. I was at the Tacoma, WA HPB the other night and they had very good condition used PS1 Silent Hill, Resident Evil 3 Nemesis, Nectaris Military Madness for about $50, $30, $30 respectively, and some other PS1 stuff I can't remember right now; too steep for me. But I did bite on $8 for PS1 Resident Evil 2. :lol:

[quote name='Zhanmadao']lol a book store that sells games[/QUOTE]

Yea I was thinking the same exact thing. Also, your misa campo av is ftmfw!!!!!

[quote name='wmangr']HPB is very YMMV but you can find really good deals or rare items... Like any used items, it really depends on what other people bring in to sell to them.

Also, I'm guessing depending on the pricing staff, you may be able to find a real steal.

Some staff are way too saavy for my CAGiness, though. I was at the Tacoma, WA HPB the other night and they had very good condition used PS1 Silent Hill, Resident Evil 3 Nemesis, Nectaris Military Madness for about $50, $30, $30 respectively, and some other PS1 stuff I can't remember right now; too steep for me. But I did bite on $8 for PS1 Resident Evil 2. :lol:[/quote]

I called there when I saw this thread and they didn't have any Gears of War. I check that one periodically for HBO's The Wire dvd sets. I passed one day they had seasons 2 and 3 and have regretted it since.

[quote name='mike.m']I called there when I saw this thread and they didn't have any Gears of War. I check that one periodically for HBO's The Wire dvd sets. I passed one day they had seasons 2 and 3 and have regretted it since.[/quote]

Yeah the only one I saw those was at the Redmond one.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Since when did Half Price Books sell games?[/quote]

I've been shopping there for 3 years... so for AT LEAST that longer (I'm sure much longer, though.)

Note: in my area, in regards to PC games, they've been getting a lot of the same stock as Big Lots --- the difference is that HPB has had a much larger markup. On the other hand, I've found some real gems in their clearance section. :)

God damn, I just bought this for full price last night. I don't have a Half Price Books by me as far as i know, so it still doesn't really matter, but I'd much rather pay $16 than $60.

bread's done
Back