YMMV Sony Blu-Ray PS3 Remote $9.97 clearance @ Radio Shack

I didn't find the official Sony BR remote, but they did have the 3rd party, gigaware brand remote. It was only $4.99, and it works great. Anyone in the market for a PSP case, should hit up their local Shack, as mine also had the Gigaware PSP set (case, headphones, UMD case, charging cable, and screen protector) for $4.99.
I found these in stock at the Foothill Ranch, CA Radio Shack, but it looks like those prices are good online as well:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3897318
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3802204

[quote name='brianace']I didn't find the official Sony BR remote, but they did have the 3rd party, gigaware brand remote. It was only $4.99, and it works great. Anyone in the market for a PSP case, should hit up their local Shack, as mine also had the Gigaware PSP set (case, headphones, UMD case, charging cable, and screen protector) for $4.99.
I found these in stock at the Foothill Ranch, CA Radio Shack, but it looks like those prices are good online as well:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3802204[/QUOTE]
I'm allergic to USB dongles but thanks anyway :)

[quote name='brianace']I didn't find the official Sony BR remote, but they did have the 3rd party, gigaware brand remote. It was only $4.99, and it works great. Anyone in the market for a PSP case, should hit up their local Shack, as mine also had the Gigaware PSP set (case, headphones, UMD case, charging cable, and screen protector) for $4.99.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3802204[/QUOTE]

Wow, pretty good deal for the psp, I need a new screen protector, the rest are good bonus.

Thanks brianace.

Nice head's up on that PSP package brianace! It's even in stock right near me =) My kid has gone through all 3 of my headsets, so I'll definitely buy that package. Everything else is just a bonus.

Enjoy! I wish this price was good a few months ago when I bought my PSP. I ended up spending 30-40 bucks on case, umd holder, etc. Granted, the one I bought holds more UMDs, but this one is a nice cheap alternative for when you're taking a short trip, and don't want to lug your entire collection around with you.

Does this remote have a power on/off button? I've been using the Nyko remote and don't really care for it. I'm ready for an upgrade.

[quote name='dino88']Does this remote have a power on/off button? I've been using the Nyko remote and don't really care for it. I'm ready for an upgrade.[/QUOTE]

It doesn't. I had to check mine and see.
Probably not an upgrade from the Nyko remote. Works good for my particular situation (non-gamer wife, using the PS3 as the main DVD/Blu Ray player in the house.

[quote name='dino88']Does this remote have a power on/off button? I've been using the Nyko remote and don't really care for it. I'm ready for an upgrade.[/QUOTE]

I think the only remote that is going to be able to turn the PS3 on and off is the official Sony one.

[quote name='brianace']It doesn't. I had to check mine and see.
Probably not an upgrade from the Nyko remote. Works good for my particular situation (non-gamer wife, using the PS3 as the main DVD/Blu Ray player in the house.[/QUOTE]
Thanks

[quote name='chopper731']I think the only remote that is going to be able to turn the PS3 on and off is the official Sony one.[/QUOTE]
This is the official Sony remote, isn't it?

[quote name='dino88']Thanks

This is the official Sony remote, isn't it?[/QUOTE]

Some stores may still have the official Sony in stock for $10, mine didn't. I had to settle for the 3rd party Gigaware remote. It was $5.

Stopped by a couple radio shacks just for shits and giggles. Most of them had the Official PS3 Remote on clearance. Needless to say, I picked ONE up. If any other CAG's need one, let me know.

[quote name='Vulcan2422']There is one other remote on the market that turns the ps3 on and off, but it's not an official Sony one.[/QUOTE]
Well don't leave us in suspense! What's it called?

I noticed ALOT of clearance stuff at a couple Radio Shack stores I've been to recently. Everything from hard drive enclosures to surround sound systems. The prices seemed to be pretty universal too.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I noticed ALOT of clearance stuff at a couple Radio Shack stores I've been to recently. Everything from hard drive enclosures to surround sound systems. The prices seemed to be pretty universal too.[/QUOTE]

Any decent prices on the surround sound stuff? Been looking into getting 5.1 set up in my living room (right now just have the sound for stuff coming out of the speakers on the TV itself). Not anything I'm in a rush to get, mind you, just something that if it's dirt cheap or anything. Mind have to hit up a store or two while I'm making Blockbuster runs tomorrow.

I think I saw a few sets for $125 or so. One was from Computer Associates and I really forget who made the other one.

I did also see a digital(not sure if it was HD though) Tivo unit on clearance there for about $100-150.

Every Radio Shack I've been to recently has had a folding table with a good chunk of clearance items on it near the door right when you come in. But that setup may be YMMV depending on area.

The psp packs were tagged $20 but rang up as $5, also picked up a two-pack retractable stylus with two screen protectors - $2.

Thanks OP!

PS: Just tried out the ear plugs that came with the psp pack. I was totally expected 99c stright into the trash kinda quality, but to be honest, I just listened to some music with them and I actually could tell it was music that came out. Totally usable!

The official Sony remote is fantastic--easily my favorite out of all the remote's I've ever used. If you can only find a third party one at this price, I would highly recommend that you skip it and shell out the extra $10 for the official one (it goes for about $20 on Amazon).

Thank you very much for bringing this to my attention OP. I ran up to a local Radio Shack and picked up the last one. I've been looking for a good deal on this for a while. Thanks again!

There's technically no on/off button. Hitting any button on the official remote turns on the PS3. To turn it off, you have to navigate via the Cross Media bar to the leftmost part under Users and choose the option to turn off the system.

None close to me; but I'm going to see if they can do the whole "buy it here then get it shipped from another store" thing.

Sweet found one of these today. Had been looking for a deal on one of these for a while. Although there is no literal on/off button, the PS button turns the system on and if held while the system is on it will provide the option to turn off the system. Thanks again OP!

Well I picked up one of the gigaware remotes. I was hoping to be able to use the USB dongle for me Harmony Remote. It didn't work. Any suggestions on this? DO I need to make my remote learn the functions manually?

[quote name='norry']There's technically no on/off button. Hitting any button on the official remote turns on the PS3. To turn it off, you have to navigate via the Cross Media bar to the leftmost part under Users and choose the option to turn off the system.[/QUOTE]

All you have to do is hold down the PlayStation button and select 'turn off system' like you would with the controller. You don't need to navigate through the XMB.

I was thinking about picking up the Gigawire PS3 controller for $10. But after reading the reviews, I decided against it. Is it really that bad for the PC, especially with the button sensitivity and the need to press down on L3 and select on the same time?

[quote name='jupiterjones']Here's the link for the Sony remote - says $13.97 on the site, but at least you can check the stock at local stores.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2991653[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the link, a store is holding the last one for me.
Stopped at another location and picked up 2 Wii Play/Remote bundles clearanced for $19.97 each.

Almost picked up the $4.97 PSP accessory bundle, might pick one up if the store with the remote has them...

I can confirm. I live in Kansas City and saw this at several Radio Shacks in the Kansas and Missouri area. I bought a few to sell on eBay.

Not a fan of the official remote. But there doesn't seem to be other options out there. Bumping any button turns on your system. Annoying. In order to turn it off, you have to hold in a button and then scroll to "Turn System Off". Annoying. Many of the buttons are just cosmetic. For instance, the play and pause buttons are the exact same buttons. And I can't remember off the top of my head, but I think there is another button or two that are the same as well.

Still, it's better than using the controller for media. There is nothing worse than sitting the controller down only to accidentally bump the trigger and start fast forwarding or rewinding. Still, I wish Sony would make a better remote. One that is more like a real remote, and less like a controller mapped to a remote. My system gets more use as a BluRay Player than anything else, so these little details are pretty annoying.

Got the Gigaware remote for $5. Also, Wii Play for $20, although now that I look online it doesn't look like THAT great of a deal. Saw Wii charger (charging base, four batteries) for $10 and resisted.

[quote name='hellhunde']My store didn't have any Sony ones in stock, so I'm going to try and have it shipped to the store.[/QUOTE]
How do you do that? I couldn't find an option for ship-to-store on the product page.

[quote name='Saberj']Not a fan of the official remote. But there doesn't seem to be other options out there. Bumping any button turns on your system. Annoying.[/QUOTE]

Beyond annoying.

[quote name='Saberj']Not a fan of the official remote. But there doesn't seem to be other options out there. Bumping any button turns on your system. Annoying. In order to turn it off, you have to hold in a button and then scroll to "Turn System Off". Annoying. Many of the buttons are just cosmetic. For instance, the play and pause buttons are the exact same buttons. And I can't remember off the top of my head, but I think there is another button or two that are the same as well.[/QUOTE]

I'd actually prefer that to the Gigaware remote. Apparently there's no way to turn the system on using it. It only works if I turn the system on some other way.

bread's done
Back