You can help win the format war! Tonight!

derder

CAGiversary!
I'm ordering Planet Earth- The Complete Collection, I have the HD-DVD 360 Add-on and a PS3.

You can vote to pick which one I buy, since after the 1.8 Firmware update, it's all the same to me.

I'm ordering it from deepdiscountdvd tonight.

Get your last votes in. I'll post the purchase screen as proof.

Why not post this in the BR vs HD thread or read some reviews? Both BR and HD are pretty much identical. Both look great, both sound great. Get whatever one you want.

I voted HD DVD, because that's what I saw it on, and it looked incredible. This thread is truly useless, could you imagine if everyone posted something like this every time they bought something? Get which ever is cheapest because it's all good.

[quote name='Chris in Cali']I voted HD DVD, because that's what I saw it on, and it looked incredible. This thread is truly useless, could you imagine if everyone posted something like this every time they bought something? Get which ever is cheapest because it's all good.[/quote]

They're the same price, I just wanted to see what people would prefer.

You do realize the releases look/sound identical on both formats and have all the identical content as well. I say look toward your inner cheapassedness (yes I know that's not a real word) and buy the one that you can get the best deal on. If you can't find a price differnce anyplace then just get it over with and flip a coin.

I'm posting here because I actually have the same decision to make. I don't actually have the 360 HD-DVD drive, but I'll buy it on a whim when I decide I need Children of Men in HD...

Anyway, I'd rather support HD-DVD just because I'd hate to see Sony in control of a format. However, with my setup, Blu-ray is the better choice because my 360 does not have HDMI output, and my monitor will only display a 1080p signal properly over HDMI or DVI. So I'm saying (and getting from DD during the sale) Blu-ray.

Bluray. They're blue. Bluray. It rolls off your tongue.

"Dude, check out this killer HD-DVD I just bought!"

No, "dude." In the time it took you to say HD-DVD, which sounds confusing, you could have said Bluray, and with the extra time saying all those letters wasted. possibly gotten laid.

All these cockbags voted HD-DVD because they never get laid, and that's all they could afford. You want to be cool, right?

Give the big black shiny box some love, and buy the BD version.

I never really appreciated the PQ of my 360 HD-DVD drive. I notice more clarity in the PS3 than I do my 360. Maybe its because my LCD interprets HDMI more capably than VGA and Component. Not sure.

Blu-Ray gets my vote (its what I bought it for.)

As a person with a PS3 and the 360 add on I would go with Blu-ray. You gain the benefit of HDMI and the PS3 has much better audio than the 360 add on if you are using a decent surround sound.

The PS3 is a much better Blu-ray player than the 360 is an HD-DVD player.

For your specific situation, I would say go with the BD version. Both versions of Planet Earth are identical, but I have heard the PS3 is a better BD player compared to the 360 add-on. The difference is probably slight, but, like I said, the versions are identical, and if you have HDMI, BD would be the way to go.

[quote name='rodeojones903']The PS3 is a much better Blu-ray player than the 360 is an HD-DVD player.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='dpatel']PS3 is a better BD player compared to the 360 add-on. [/QUOTE]

I will e-punch you in the face.

That e-hurts.

I'm just going off of what I have heard. I don't own, nor have I seen the 360 HD-DVD player in action, but, the general consensus is that the PS3 is a better movie player than the 360 add-on. And, if you own both, it would make sense to go with BD, in that scenario.

TimPV3 seems to be quite the tool. I think I'll be proactive and add him to the always-growing "Ignore" list.

That said, I just want someone to win this war. Straddling this fence is wearing at my patience and starting to give me a wedgie.

Sounds like a sound decision at this point. It's getting tougher and tougher these days on CAG to figure out if someone is just wildly unfunny or if they have a brain tumor.

[quote name='Sporadic']Red cases look better.

Voted HD-DVD[/QUOTE]

I do like the red cases more too, but if I may go totally off topic here, why the hell can't the studios all use the same size cases? All of you HD DVD collectors know of what I speak, though may only bother me. Universal uses the shorter looking ones with rounded corners and Warner, et. al. uses the taller, somewhat boxier ones. You can just barely notice when on a shelf, but seeing as how I know it's there I always do notice. I just hate that they don't match up in size, bugs the hell out of me.

Just one more reason to pirate movies and stick all the copies in a big CD book. :lol:

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']I do like the red cases more too, but if I may go totally off topic here, why the hell can't the studios all use the same size cases? All of you HD DVD collectors know of what I speak, though may only bother me. Universal uses the shorter looking ones with rounded corners and Warner, et. al. uses the taller, somewhat boxier ones. You can just barely notice when on a shelf, but seeing as how I know it's there I always do notice. I just hate that they don't match up in size, bugs the hell out of me.[/quote]

I voted HD-DVD. I have both the PS3 and the 360 add-on drive, and both work very, very well. I prefer HD-DVD for these reasons:

1. The 360 supports regular, non-bluetooth remotes, so my Harmony will control it. I don't need to purchase an extra $25 remote to watch movies (why wasn't it included in the PS3 box, I have no idea).
2. HD-DVD supports the In-Movie-Experience, which is a picture-in-picture commentary. If you've ever listened to a commentary on regular DVD's, this is a huge plus.
3. They seem cheaper. I'm not sure if I'm just not buying the right movies, but Mission Impossible 3 was $35 on BD, but only $30 on HD-DVD. I seem to remember a similar situation with Superman Returns, but I never actually bought it.

[quote name='Kayden']Just one more reason to pirate movies and stick all the copies in a big CD book. :lol:[/QUOTE]

While it works in theory I suppose, that'll get a little expensive for HD DVD though.

bread's done
Back