You can not expect privacy when using your cell phone?

What troubles me is the seizure of the phone, or more specifically rifling through its contents, without a warrant.

I actually do agree with the judge that there is no expectation of privacy for the sender of a message once the message arrives onto the device, but a warrant should be required for the police to even unlock/turn on/hack into a phone to view its contents.

Once you send a message it is out of your hands when it comes to who views it. You know those disclaimers in emails that say, "THIS MESSAGE IS ONLY INTENDED FOR ITS INTENDED RECIPIENT IF YOU ARE NOT HIM/HER DESTROY THIS MESSAGE RIGHT AWAY?" Those disclaimers are bullshit for the same reason. Once an email is in your possession, you can do with it what you please.

Never say anything in an email/text/whatever that you wouldn't want to become public unless you trust the recipient 100%. Even then, you don't want them to log into their Hotmail at a shared work computer and forget to log out, and have other people see your stupid message. There's no expectation of privacy in that sense.

Ideally, I would advocate for everyone to have strong encryption as part of any sensitive data that is transferred or stored. PGP, truecrypt, and Scrambls are useful tools but a bit cumbersome, especially when corresponding with non-tech savvy friends; of course there is also always a vulnerability if your recipient does not take measures to maintain security.

What makes a cell phone private? I am not saying I agree with allowing people to take it at random but come on.

Nothing about a cell phone is private at all....you didnt make the phone, you dont own the towers, data lines, sats, the data itself is transferred over their privately own lines. They know what texts you send and receive what time you do it, there is a record of all pictures sent.

What about any of that screams privacy? You shouldnt be sending or receiving things that could be used against you in anyway on such a non secure line of communication.

Although I am fully for privacy 99 percent of most people wouldnt know the difference if it hit them in the face. This generation of post everything everywhere anytime then be surprised when people use it against you is insane.

LOL so I was telling this to the students of my PC Basics class. Basically I told them nothing is really private these days. As soon as you turn on that phone or use that computer's internet, everything can be tracked and recorded. So watch what you say and do on the internet and don't do something stupid out of anger because it will bite you in the ass lol.

bread's done
Back