You cant setup sound to come out of...

BREVITY

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
... optical and HDMI?

I just got my cables today for the PS3 and this is the first I have messed with all its settings. I got it setup to do 720P instead of 1080i (Best I can get on my 32" Samsung) and its what I have the 360 set to. Anyways I couldnt find a setting for sound to come out of both optical and HDMI meaning I have to pic to have sound through the TV or sound through the 5.1 system. I love how on the 360 sound comes through the TV and the sound system. That way I dont always have to have the sound system on. Am I missing something?

Don't think it does, however I know with my TV I had to switch the Settings from DVI to HDMI and it worked both ways, but that was before the latest firmware upgrade.

No, you can only have one source of sound.
So unless you split one of the cables, it's only going to come out of the 5.1 system.

I don't mean to criticize, but why do you like sound to come out of the TV as well as the surround setup? That ruins some of the surround effects from sources that use it.

I consider my TV speaker dead.

I tested this out several ways and with moving my wire setup around so that I took it out of the TV being fed the HDMI and tried it setup that way. Still not working like you would think it should.

I like this option for the same reasons I like it on the 360, which has this setup (granted its not HDMI there). I get sound out of the TV and through the optical. That way if I dont want the sound system on I still have the TV sound. Also with the 360 digital sound is always present in menu systems. With the PS3 using optical digital, sound is only present when you do something that creates noise, like moving through the menu. Other wise my digital receiver says nothing is being received. Also in the PS3 menu system it has digital sound that’s more like stereo instead of DD or anything else.

However with the PS3 using HDMI sound seems to always be present w/o having to navigate through the system.

Hmm, you're right.
The sound is always present when switched to HDMI. But that doesn't really matter as there is no sound when 'not' switching through the menu anyway.

The only thing DD is the startup sound on the PS3, the rest of the menu is 2 channel PCM.

In that case, I don't now how to do it, other than just switching your sound options in the PS3 settings to HDMI when you don't want to use the surround.
Bit of a hassle then.

I agree dallow for the most part this is a non-issue. I am fine with always having the sound system on. In game sound is always present anyways. I was just asking in case I missed something in the setup. There are loads of options there. Playing in 720p via HDMI with the optical 5.1 surround sound on was awesome last night.

bread's done
Back