You can't spell Ottawa without OTT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I am using a DLC code for the first time...do I really need to read "Health Warnings" before using this shit? Serious Sony?

At least it's not a Phillies reference. I don't care for hockey, so make all the flyer references you want. :razz:

And hockey brings me to cold, and cold comes from the air conditioner.

I really wish I turned my AC off last night. Freezing my ass off right now and the cat is sitting on top of me so can't really get up either. Funny thing is, I thought I had the dial turned to low fan, but instead, the little hash was pointed in the other direction (hi cool).

[quote name='JStryke']At least it's not a Phillies reference. I don't care for hockey, so make all the flyer references you want. :razz:

And hockey brings me to cold, and cold comes from the air conditioner.

I really wish I turned my AC off last night. Freezing my ass off right now and the cat is sitting on top of me so can't really get up either. Funny thing is, I thought I had the dial turned to low fan, but instead, the little hash was pointed in the other direction (hi cool).[/QUOTE]

philadelphia_phillies-12643.jpg

Off to get the ingredients to bake a cake for my best friend's baby shower. Guinness chocolate cake (the alcohol cooks off) with chocolate ganache and whipped cream frosting.

Fly Phillies Fly on the road to victory. Hit em low, hit em high, and fly Phillies fly! P-H-I-L-L-I-E-S Phillies Phillies Phillies!

[quote name='Chika']Off to get the ingredients to bake a cake for my best friend's baby shower. Guinness chocolate cake (the alcohol cooks off) with chocolate ganache and whipped cream frosting.[/QUOTE]

Sounds good. Recipe? That doesn't come from tastespotting by any chance does it?

[quote name='TheRock88']Hey UPS, please deliver my Star Wars set so I can watch it ASAP. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I hope its there when I get home.

So, can you print out shipping labels online for USPS First Class stuff? I know Amazon uses Stamps.com to generate their shipping labels, but the USPS website just lists Priority Mail as my shipping option.

[quote name='TheRock88']Hey UPS, please deliver my Star Wars set so I can watch it ASAP. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Stoopid Amazon and thier free saver shipping...Won't even ship it to me till next week.

:bomb:

[quote name='Number83']Stoopid Amazon and thier free saver shipping...Won't even ship it to me till next week.

:bomb:[/QUOTE]

Hey, at least that way you get one more week before crushing disappointment.

yea i use paypal to print out my labels. i use parcel to ship big boxes and lie about weight so i pay 70% less than the amount i would have to pay at the post office.

its wrong i know, but i dungivafuqson

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']Hey, at least that way you get one more week before crushing disappointment.[/QUOTE]

NO...NOOOOOO!.new_vader.gif
__

Best Buy is becoming the new Gamestop. I walk over to the game section and immediately I get bombarded by a dude who starts asking me all kinds of questions: What kinds of games do I like, have you pre-ordered anything, asks if I have any trade ins, goes on for 10 minutes about his professional League of Legends guild...Oh, and all the information he tells me about upcoming games was dead inaccurate.

Guess thats one more Brick and Mortar store I won't be going into during my lunch hour.

[quote name='giantqtipz']yea i use paypal to print out my labels. i use parcel to ship big boxes and lie about weight so i pay 70% less than the amount i would have to pay at the post office.

its wrong i know, but i dungivafuqson[/QUOTE]

I'm surprised you haven't had more returns. Usually, what I ship can go first class, so I do that and if it's an extra 14 cents for the ounce, I'll pay it rather than piss off my buyer because my shipping was slow.

[quote name='corrosivefrost']High Five! :lol:[/QUOTE]

Shhhhhh!!!! ;)
___

Gears 3 comes out next week? Damn, I gotta finish 2 this weekend.

GF convinced me to come home this weekend. It's nice to be home for a bit, but I find myself missing Gainesville. Strange. Speaking of, I wish stoneface didn't disappear. I have his phone number, I might have to text him sometime.

[quote name='Maklershed']Sounds good. Recipe? That doesn't come from tastespotting by any chance does it?
[/QUOTE]

No, it's a combo of several recipes I've used and it's my favorite parts of each.

For the Guinness Chocolate Cake

1 cup stout (such as Guinness)
1 stick unsalted butter
1/2 cup vegetable oil (light flavored work the best like canola or light olive oil)
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (preferably Dutch-process)
2 cups all purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
2/3 cup sour cream

Ganache Filling
8 ounces bittersweet chocolate
2/3 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons butter, room temperature
1 to 2 teaspoons Irish whiskey (optional)

Preheat oven to 350°F. Bring 1 cup stout and butter/oil to simmer in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add cocoa powder and whisk until mixture is smooth. Cool slightly.

Whisk flour, sugar, baking soda, and 3/4 teaspoon salt in large bowl to blend. Using electric mixer, beat eggs and sour cream in another large bowl to blend. Add stout-chocolate mixture to egg mixture and beat just to combine. Add flour mixture and beat briefly on slow speed. Using rubber spatula, fold batter until completely combined. Divide batter among two 8"-9" round prepared cake pans or one 10" prepared pan (grease and flour). Bake cake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, rotating them once front to back if your oven bakes unevenly, about 45-60 minutes. Cool on a rack completely.

Make the filling: Chop the chocolate and transfer it to a heatproof bowl. Heat the cream until simmering and pour it over the chocolate. Let it sit for one minute and then stir until smooth. (If this has not sufficiently melted the chocolate, you can return it to a double-boiler to gently melt what remains. 20 seconds in the microwave, watching carefully, will also work.) Add the butter and whiskey (if you’re using it) and stir until combined.

Wait for the filling to cool slightly - should be spreadable but not drippy. Spread on bottom layer and place top layer on top. Refrigerate 2 hours before frosting.

Stabilized Whipped Cream Frosting

1/4 cup cold water
1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup confectioners sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions

Chill mixing bowl and beaters for at least 15 minutes before using. Place water in a small microwave-safe bowl. Sprinkle gelatin over water and allow to soften 5 minutes.
Dissolve gelatin by microwaving for 3 minutes, stirring after every minute. Remove from microwave and let stand at room temperature for 10 minutes; gelatin must be liquid but not warm when added to cream.
Remove bowl and beaters from refrigerator and pour in cream, sugar, and vanilla extract. Beat together just until beater marks begin to show distinctly.
Add gelatin mixture to cream, pouring in a steady stream while beating constantly. Beat until stiff peaks form. Use immediately.

I'm also doing a layer of home made raspberry jelly with raspberries from my garden

3cups raspberries, crushed
5.25 cups white sugar
1 package sure-set pectin
1 cup cold water

Mix pectin and water in a small sauce pan. Bring to a rapid boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Boil for exactly 1 minute. Pour over sugar-berry mixture and stir for 3-5 minutes until well combined and no longer grainy. Let sit at room temp for 24 hours before using then refrigerate for up to 2 weeks or freeze up to 1 year.

So for the longest time I thought Fred was the number one user on Youtube who is so unfunny and undeserving on his fame that it isn't even funny. I would also file Ray William Johnson (=3) into that category, however I can see his appeal if you like The Soup for the internet, have never seen Tosh.0, and/or like to watch annoying douchebags talk.

But I found the new winner. What the fuck. Apparently this guy is ridiculously famous and has gone to meet celebrities and shit, and "performed" with them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lm_n3hg-Gbg&feature=related

...Yeah, totally. Realistically, he only became notable because he has some kind of disease. Lip-synching in an overzealous dramatic manner is nothing new. It's not that it's foolish, it's that it's completely stale and uninteresting.

So Jim's annoying me right now. Last week he busts on me and Derek (his son) about the dishes. Sure, I haven't been doing them a lot in the past couple weeks because I was working but if I was off, I'd try to do them. But he was saying that if you dirty something wash it right away. And the last three mornings? There were dirty dishes in the sink.

Today, he has me take a tire off his truck (first time I ever did that, but why can't he do it?). He has his other son coming over to replace his rotor / brake pads, and it sounds like he's going to make me come back down afterwards just to put his tire back on. Why can't Josh do it? Seriously? Then he says about the pool needs covered. Ok, fine, but why does he say me and Derek should do it Sunday? Why can't Jim help me (or my dad or whatever) and just knock it out now? My luck, he'll try to interrupt me on Sunday when I'm going to be busy with other things and say to get crap down then.

He also mentions about the tree in our backyard (which won't be an issue until November I guess). When November comes, I'll be lucky to have much time to myself working retail. And like hell I'm going to want to spend it raking fucking leaves.

[quote name='JStryke']So Jim's annoying me right now. Last week he busts on me and Derek (his son) about the dishes. Sure, I haven't been doing them a lot in the past couple weeks because I was working but if I was off, I'd try to do them. But he was saying that if you dirty something wash it right away. And the last three mornings? There were dirty dishes in the sink.

Today, he has me take a tire off his truck (first time I ever did that, but why can't he do it?). He has his other son coming over to replace his rotor / brake pads, and it sounds like he's going to make me come back down afterwards just to put his tire back on. Why can't Josh do it? Seriously? Then he says about the pool needs covered. Ok, fine, but why does he say me and Derek should do it Sunday? Why can't Jim help me (or my dad or whatever) and just knock it out now? My luck, he'll try to interrupt me on Sunday when I'm going to be busy with other things and say to get crap down then.

He also mentions about the tree in our backyard (which won't be an issue until November I guess). When November comes, I'll be lucky to have much time to myself working retail. And like hell I'm going to want to spend it raking fucking leaves.[/QUOTE]

You work retail for a major corporation. No way in hell they let you work overtime and if they do that shit is minimal. Stop complaining like you work all the time. That dude bitching about his 34 hour day has grounds to complain, but you don't have a leg to stand on. You don't see me bitching on here constantly about how terrible my work week is and its been 70+ hours the past several weeks.

[quote name='zewone']Who the fuck is Jim?[/QUOTE]

One of the guys I live with.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']You work retail for a major corporation. No way in hell they let you work overtime and if they do that shit is minimal. Stop complaining like you work all the time. That dude bitching about his 34 hour day has grounds to complain, but you don't have a leg to stand on. You don't see me bitching on here constantly about how terrible my work week is and its been 70+ hours the past several weeks.[/QUOTE]

They don't do overtime, no. I just hate long work weeks as I do like my free time and to me, it feels like I don't get a lot of shit done. The weird thing is, I hate 40 hour work weeks, but 45 hour weeks don't bother me as much as then you at least get paid for it. It probably wouldn't bother me as much if they put me in work centers I actually liked somewhat, but they keep sticking me on carts which I don't like. And it's not so much the carts themselves, but just all the shit I put up with while doing carts.

Who the fuck are you kidding, when I worked carts it was the best job in the store (this is at a grocery store). I did that shit in the pouring rain and blizzard conditions and loved every fucking second.

[quote name='Chika']No, it's a combo of several recipes I've used and it's my favorite parts of each.

1 stick unsalted butter
1/2 cup vegetable oil (light flavored work the best like canola or light olive oil)
2 cups all purpose flour
2 cups sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
2/3 cup sour cream

Ganache Filling
2/3 cup heavy cream

Preheat oven to 350°F. Bring 1 cup stout and butter/oil to simmer in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add cocoa powder and whisk until mixture is smooth. Cool slightly.

Whisk flour, sugar, baking soda, and 3/4 teaspoon salt in large bowl to blend. Using electric mixer, beat eggs and sour cream in another large bowl to blend. Add stout-chocolate mixture to egg mixture and beat just to combine. Add flour mixture and beat briefly on slow speed. Using rubber spatula, fold batter until completely combined. Divide batter among two 8"-9" round prepared cake pans or one 10" prepared pan (grease and flour). Bake cake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, rotating them once front to back if your oven bakes unevenly, about 45-60 minutes. Cool on a rack completely.

Make the filling: Chop the chocolate and transfer it to a heatproof bowl. Heat the cream until simmering and pour it over the chocolate. Let it sit for one minute and then stir until smooth. (If this has not sufficiently melted the chocolate, you can return it to a double-boiler to gently melt what remains. 20 seconds in the microwave, watching carefully, will also work.) Add the butter and whiskey (if you’re using it) and stir until combined.

Wait for the filling to cool slightly - should be spreadable but not drippy. Spread on bottom layer and place top layer on top. Refrigerate 2 hours before frosting.

1/4 cup cold water
Directions

Chill mixing bowl and beaters for at least 15 minutes before using. Place water in a small microwave-safe bowl. Sprinkle gelatin over water and allow to soften 5 minutes.
Dissolve gelatin by microwaving for 3 minutes, stirring after every minute. Remove from microwave and let stand at room temperature for 10 minutes; gelatin must be liquid but not warm when added to cream.
Remove bowl and beaters from refrigerator and pour in cream, sugar, and vanilla extract. Beat together just until beater marks begin to show distinctly.
Add gelatin mixture to cream, pouring in a steady stream while beating constantly. Beat until stiff peaks form. Use immediately.

I'm also doing a layer of home made raspberry jelly with raspberries from my garden

5.25 cups white sugar
1 cup cold water

Mix pectin and water in a small sauce pan. Bring to a rapid boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Boil for exactly 1 minute. Pour over sugar-berry mixture and stir for 3-5 minutes until well combined and no longer grainy. Let sit at room temp for 24 hours before using then refrigerate for up to 2 weeks or freeze up to 1 year.
[/QUOTE]

Oh wow, that sounds complicated. Thanks for typing it out. I wish I would've thought to get a few cans of Guinness or Murphy's at the bar tonight.

[quote name='zewone']I wish I knew where I could buy Gears early in the LA area. I see a ton of ads on Craigslist for it.[/QUOTE]

Hit up the local mom & pop shops...specially the Asian stores, they usually don't give a shit about street dates.

[quote name='Maklershed']Oh wow, that sounds complicated. Thanks for typing it out. I wish I would've thought to get a few cans of Guinness or Murphy's at the bar tonight.[/QUOTE]

I just copied and pasted:)

[quote name='Chika']No, it's a combo of several recipes I've used and it's my favorite parts of each.

1 stick unsalted butter
2 cups all purpose flour
2 cups sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
2/3 cup sour cream

Ganache Filling
2/3 cup heavy cream

1/4 cup cold water
Directions

5.25 cups white sugar
1 cup cold water

[/QUOTE]

I am definetly making this.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']Who the fuck are you kidding, when I worked carts it was the best job in the store (this is at a grocery store). I did that shit in the pouring rain and blizzard conditions and loved every fucking second.[/QUOTE]

The snow doesn't bother me too much (mainly as we always get dry snow), but I'm not a fan of the rain. Don't really want to be dripping wet when I get off work and generally feel like crap. But not counting the weather, it's all the other crap. Customers leave trash in their carts, they complain if it's wet (although I haven't heard complaints as much at my new location as opposed to my old one), and being the cart boy, it's almost as if you're the whipping boy. And I just don't like that feeling.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']I just bought a bag of Cheesy Poofs. Mother fucking Cheesy Poofs.[/QUOTE]
Ahahaha.

I went to Wal-Mart for Rice Krispies Treats cereal (since they are the only ones that carry it) and ended up buying the most awesome thing ever.

Oh and I forgot to mention this since I saw it a few weeks ago, but kept forgetting to post it. I actually saw a Vet that specialized in birds the other day while leaving Duke. All I could think about was Curb. Shit had me cracking up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHZH_8Ly-u8

[quote name='CaseyRyback']Oh and I forgot to mention this since I saw it a few weeks ago, but kept forgetting to post it. I actually saw a Vet that specialized in birds the other day while leaving Duke. All I could think about was Curb. Shit had me cracking up.[/QUOTE]

Man the hottest mixed Asian (I believe she was part Korean) vet at our old animal clinic specialized in nothing but birds. Strangely enough, she couldn't hide the fact that she was a little terrified of my Mom's blue & gold macaw- which my wife and I kept for 6-7 years before our daughter was born.

[quote name='Rocko']So for the longest time I thought Fred was the number one user on Youtube who is so unfunny and undeserving on his fame that it isn't even funny. I would also file Ray William Johnson (=3) into that category, however I can see his appeal if you like The Soup for the internet, have never seen Tosh.0, and/or like to watch annoying douchebags talk.

But I found the new winner. What the fuck. Apparently this guy is ridiculously famous and has gone to meet celebrities and shit, and "performed" with them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lm_n3hg-Gbg&feature=related[/QUOTE]

This guy looks like Patton Oswalt, if he were even more of a midget.

[quote name='Lyricsborn']I am definetly making this.[/QUOTE]

I have a couple of tips after having made it a few times if you're serious about making it -shoot me a message. Also, it's a lot of work and a lot of dirty dishes. It's my version of a cake my family used to have at the bakery (they used chocolate mousse instead of whipped cream). It's a lot easier if you're making several cakes at once, but it's really a lot of effort for a single cake. In the past, I've had issues with the cake sticking to the bottom of the pan, but thankfully it came out really nicely this time. I'm really pleased with how it's turning out. I just need to ice it, pour some ganache on the top to make it look nice and shiny, then decorate it. I'm going really simple with blue and green dots around the edges and something like "Welcome to Twinsanity"

[quote name='CaseyRyback']I just bought a bag of Cheesy Poofs. Mother fucking Cheesy Poofs.[/QUOTE]

i fucking love cheesy poofs.

[quote name='Temporaryscars']I need to take an ammo inventory.[/QUOTE]

Is Zombie-pocolypse coming? Remember to take double-tap into account, so whatever ammo you think you need, double it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back