you do know about Wal-Mart, don't you?

Okay, unions aren't perfect but they have been very beneficial in this country. Because of unions we have a 40 hour work week, health insurance, child labor laws and a middle class. These things did not exist 100 years ago.

Unchecked, large corporations will do whatever they want.

BTW, I live in a right to work state (Virginia) where you don't have to join the union if you choose not to.

[quote name='Cornfedwb']I would love if people would fall out of the habit of thinking they 'deserve' anything from their employers or from society. [/quote]

I agree--the only thing a company 'owes' me, is the rate we agreed upon, to cover the hours I worked for them. Everything else is gravy. If there's not enough gravy, I can go try to change the company, go somewhere else, or deal with it. Or start a business of their own, and see how much of his 'profit' goes to overhead, complying with regulations, insurances, etc. I'm not saying big business is inherently godlike, but neither is it inherently evil, and there are other factors to consider.

Re: unions: Historically unions have indeed made great strides in advocating worker's rights, which I would consider things like: paying an agreed upon wage, and not changing that at random; being able to work in a relatively safe environment, or at least the employer providing accessories to make the environment safer; a crackdown on child labor, etc.
But many unions today have gotten changed their focus--from making sure the worker isn't abused, to abusing the business/business owner. And wielding immense political clout, with the required union dues from each member, many of whom might not personally support the issues or candidates that the union does, but having to donate to those issues or causes regardless [where's the ACLU and free speech advocates here?]

Of course, here's the *biggest* [and most relevant] reason not to go to WalMart, at least for games:
"Wal-Mart ranked last on video game prices"
"Wal-Mart ranked as the most expensive overall of seven retailers based on the price for a market basket of 30 game titles."
"Wal-Mart’s total price was $1,231.76, nearly 9 percent, or $97.25, more expensive than the overall low-price leader, Amazon.com Inc. "

http://cheapassgamer.com/forum/posting.php?mode=quote&p=158483

Of course, 1237.76/30 games equals 41.06 a game; obviously there were no CAGs involved. Even the low-price leader has an average of 37.82/game.

RBM is right as he should be, he's my coworker. I work in a biological research lab at the UPenn.
KoP mall is great for variety, but I can never find deals there so we travel around for better locations that have clearance/sales.

I have worked for a Wal-Mart for 4 years, is it heaven? Hell no. But I'll tell you one thing, it isn't fast food!

[quote name='dtcarson']Of course, here's the *biggest* [and most relevant] reason not to go to WalMart, at least for games:
"Wal-Mart ranked as the most expensive overall of seven retailers based on the price for a market basket of 30 game titles."
"Wal-Mart’s total price was $1,231.76, nearly 9 percent, or $97.25, more expensive than the overall low-price leader, Amazon.com Inc. "

Of course, 1237.76/30 games equals 41.06 a game; obviously there were no CAGs involved. Even the low-price leader has an average of 37.82/game.[/quote]

Wow I had no idea I guess I should take a trip over to my local Amazon store and pick up some games..... Oh wait they are internet based only? So that means I have to pay taxes, shipping and wait.... Or I could take a trip to an actual store with live bodies and buy the game. Then if I have something wrong I can return it without paying shipping... Hmmm.

Also it costs money to build, insure, put workers, and keep the maintenance up on an actual buildng compared to some wharehouse somewhere or people individually selling things.

[quote name='Snake2715'][quote name='dtcarson']Of course, here's the *biggest* [and most relevant] reason not to go to WalMart, at least for games:

Of course, 1237.76/30 games equals 41.06 a game; obviously there were no CAGs involved. Even the low-price leader has an average of 37.82/game.[/quote]

Wow I had no idea I guess I should take a trip over to my local Amazon store and pick up some games..... Oh wait they are internet based only? So that means I have to pay taxes, shipping and wait.... Or I could take a trip to an actual store with live bodies and buy the game. Then if I have something wrong I can return it without paying shipping... Hmmm.

Also it costs money to build, insure, put workers, and keep the maintenance up on an actual buildng compared to some wharehouse somewhere or people individually selling things.[/quote]

Did you read the article?
I'm fully aware the running a B&M requires overhead and ongoing expenses that a net-only store doesn't have.
I actually would not have included Amazon in the study, because yes, that's somewhat apples and oranges. But some of the other stores in the study, that still beat WalMart, were the classic B&M's of Best Buy, Target, EB, Gamestop, etc., which a special mention given to used games.
Also, that portion of my post was an attempt at redirecting the relevancy of the thread from unions to WalMart, especially as pertaining to games/gamers.

LMAO...my only loyalty is to my family. saving money is part of the equation. if it means giving in to all those alleged ideals, so be it.

Come to think of it, when Walmart first moved into the area around my hometown, Johnstown PA and Somerset PA... they were very proud of their "Made in the USA" products. If I can remember correctly, I couldn't walk down an isle without seeing a US flag or the "made in the USA" tag. I guess most of that went away eventually to make more money... hmmph they seemed to change that, just after they built enough store-loyality.

[quote name='sadmaker']LMAO...my only loyalty is to my family. saving money is part of the equation. if it means giving in to all those alleged ideals, so be it.[/quote]

Exactly. As much as we'd like to think we want to help other people, and 'do the right thing', ultimately it comes down to the survival and prosperity of me and my family. I think it's like that for most people, if they could bring it down to that level. If I can help others, I will; I won't buy stolen/bootleg goods just to save money; but I will go to WalMart and spend 100 bucks on the same things that might cost 150 bucks somewhere else. Would I go to WalMart and get something for 35, that I could get from Mom and Pop for 36.50? Probably not. That extra 1.50 I would be willing to spend to help 'the little guy', but it the difference were, say, ten bucks, most likely not.

bread's done
Back