You have to go to Best Buy to get the trade in value? Terrible.

AftComet

CAGiversary!
Whose brilliant idea was this? I just tried calling and they told me they need to scan the UPC and can't go by the title. Either they're lying to me to try to make me come in, or their system is really that retarded.

Why can't it be like the US Best Buy website that has a directory and look-up for the trade value of each game.

I know I can use TIVs.ca, but it seems pretty outdated. I was looking to trade in a few games with the offer that they have where if you trade 2 games each worth $5, you get get an additional $5 for each game.

I was looking to trade in the following, in case anyone knew the current actual TIV.

Gears of War 3
Halo Anniversary
Oblivion
Fable 2
Arkham Asylum
Crackdown 2
COD4

If they tell you over the phone, you'll hear how pathetic the trade-in value is and won't do it. If you're already in store, and you've lugged the games in, they know you're more likely to take a low-ball offer.

Yeah but this way I won't come in at all. EB give me TIVs over the phone. And like I said BB USA has a whole trade center on their website where you can look up the current TIV.

I think part of it too is that they will only accept games that can be scanned by their system. I've tried trading-in some games I bought in the US, and they wont accept them because the UPC is not recognised.

[quote name='PapaLau']I think part of it too is that they will only accept games that can be scanned by their system. I've tried trading-in some games I bought in the US, and they wont accept them because the UPC is not recognised.[/QUOTE]

Yeah but it would still be nice to know. If it doesn't scan when you get there it doesn't scan. The point is knowing ahead of time.

I wish businesses would stop being so shady. It's a waste of time for everyone and just pisses off the customer. I don't care if I bring in 100 games and they offer me $1 each. If I'm not getting the value I want I'm walking away.

There you go: www.tivs.ca

Can't really expect much from electronic store CSRs, most of which are just part-time sale clerks, and are more than likely less informed about video games than you.

[quote name='bloodwings']Isn't every store like this?[/QUOTE]

Pretty much. OP just seems lazy TBH. Trading in games lolz

there are actually a number of reasons:
- too lazy to look up every pathetic game you want to trade in
- some games actually have different skus with different tiv's
- just don't have time.

Yeah, won't lie. Before TIVS.ca was around, I used to abuse the power of phoning in places like EB on a regular basis and finding out the trade-in value. Then they changed it to you having to bring it in. Like picklepopcorn said, there are a number of reasons.

[quote name='AftComet']Yeah but it would still be nice to know. If it doesn't scan when you get there it doesn't scan. The point is knowing ahead of time.

I wish businesses would stop being so shady. It's a waste of time for everyone and just pisses off the customer. I don't care if I bring in 100 games and they offer me $1 each. If I'm not getting the value I want I'm walking away.[/QUOTE]

You won't trade them in... but there are many people who will. I know people that buy games at full price and then sell them for much less. Heck, I'd have bought the game from them for more.

It would be nice if you could just call in, but I can also see how many people would abuse that (at the cost of the store). Phoning in and checking trade in values of games they haven't purchased yet, in hopes of buying the game and then trading it in for more than they bought it from.

I've heard it's quite common, just from reading posts on this site and seeing how people spin a bunch of small purchases into a bigger purchase and lots of store credit. so thank those people for not being able to call in to get the TIV of your games.

[quote name='VetraX']Pretty much. OP just seems lazy TBH. Trading in games lolz[/QUOTE]

When stores do promos with trading in games, it saves you money. I don't see how it's amusing to trade in your games you will never play again.

[quote name='Stanger31']You won't trade them in... but there are many people who will. I know people that buy games at full price and then sell them for much less. Heck, I'd have bought the game from them for more. [/QUOTE]

Those people are stupid. You only buy games that are on sale, and cost less than their trade in prices.

[quote name='AftComet'] or their system is really that retarded.
[/QUOTE]
Seriously. When I went to their store to try to get them to switch the payment for UMvC3 (which I ordered online) from my cc to a gc, something their site should have done but didn't even tho I put in the gc code, they couldn't do it with the pack-in order form I brought and needed the preorder slip, which I luckily found the day after. Why? Because their in-store data base doesn't seem to have any access to any other aspect of their stupid corporation, even less their online one..

[quote name='OmegaChaos']When stores do promos with trading in games, it saves you money.[/quote]

Repeat that 200-300 times a day and you've got yourself a job at Gamestop.

[quote name='OmegaChaos']I don't see how it's amusing to trade in your games you will never play again.
[/QUOTE]

I find it hard to take people that trade-in games seriously. Nothing wrong with that: you buy 'em, beat 'em, plat 'em, whatever, trade 'em in. For whatever reason.

When I buy a game, I know I'm buying it to keep it, the way I would most things in my life: clothes, albums, books, and so on. I've been a gamer since a young age, I collect games (the same way my family collects various things to be as heirlooms) and I'm proud of it. I'm not part of this new generation of buying games and trading 'em in. I HAVE done it, and I've almost always regretted either buying that game in the first place and/or trading it in/selling it afterwards. I learn from my mistakes, though. In any case, most people that buy games and trade them in usually don't give a hoot about the history of gaming and the industry in general.

[quote name='VetraX']Repeat that 200-300 times a day and you've got yourself a job at Gamestop.

I find it hard to take people that trade-in games seriously. Nothing wrong with that: you buy 'em, beat 'em, plat 'em, whatever, trade 'em in. For whatever reason.

When I buy a game, I know I'm buying it to keep it, the way I would most things in my life: clothes, albums, books, and so on. I've been a gamer since a young age, I collect games (the same way my family collects various things to be as heirlooms) and I'm proud of it. I'm not part of this new generation of buying games and trading 'em in. I HAVE done it, and I've almost always regretted either buying that game in the first place and/or trading it in/selling it afterwards. I learn from my mistakes, though. In any case, most people that buy games and trade them in usually don't give a hoot about the history of gaming and the industry in general.[/QUOTE]

So?

I bought Oblivion, hated it despite the rave reviews. I wish I traded it in when I could for $25. What am I supposed to do with it? So I sell it for $5.

Bought Lego Batman for $5 bucks. Got boring fast. I'll trade it in for $5.

Bought Fable 2 for $7. Beat, don't care for it anymore. I'll trade it in for $4.

Bought Halo Anniversary for $35. Downloaded the maps to my hard drive, beat the campaign. I'll trade it in for $25. I can always buy it down the road when it's extremely cheap.

The list goes on and on. Not a big deal. I like games, spend vast amounts of time playing them, reading about them, etc, but I don't devote my life to them.

[quote name='AftComet']So?[/quote]

Like I said:

[quote name='VetraX']Nothing wrong with that. For whatever reason.[/quote]

What your preference is, and what you do is your business.

[quote name='AftComet']but I don't devote my life to them.[/quote]

Ha. Is that your way of saying "I'm normal for not doing what you do" :roll:

[quote name='VetraX']Repeat that 200-300 times a day and you've got yourself a job at Gamestop.

When I buy a game, I know I'm buying it to keep it, the way I would most things in my life: clothes, albums, books, and so on. I've been a gamer since a young age, I collect games (the same way my family collects various things to be as heirlooms) and I'm proud of it. I'm not part of this new generation of buying games and trading 'em in. I HAVE done it, and I've almost always regretted either buying that game in the first place and/or trading it in/selling it afterwards. I learn from my mistakes, though. In any case, most people that buy games and trade them in usually don't give a hoot about the history of gaming and the industry in general.[/QUOTE]

So, because people trade in their games after being done with them, means they don't care about the gaming industry at all? I'm sorry, but that logic is just idiotic. I'm not going to keep a game I bought years ago, and finished just to let it collect dust. I'd rather trade it in towards another game I would enjoy.

I also find it amusing how you think you don't save money when trading in games. I've saved over 200$+ in trading in my games when stores do promotions.

[quote name='OmegaChaos']So, because people trade in their games after being done with them, means they don't care about the gaming industry at all? I'm sorry, but that logic is just idiotic. I'm not going to keep a game I bought years ago, and finished just to let it collect dust. I'd rather trade it in towards another game I would enjoy.

I also find it amusing how you think you don't save money when trading in games. I've saved over 200$+ in trading in my games when stores do promotions.[/QUOTE]

This. It's quite simple.

And to the people saying I'm lazy, you're being ridiculous. There is no reason not have an online directory. Like gee oh I don't know, Best Buy US:

http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/

See how informative it is?

[quote name='AftComet']...but I don't devote my life to them.[/QUOTE]

Hm... Perhaps that is precisely why you fuel the used games industry, your gaming tenancies are merely a hobby (perhaps you don't even consider it that). Personally, gaming is a central element in my life, I don't know if I would say "my life" is devoted to games, but I am devoted to gaming. I've never been of the ideal, "I wouldn't want to live without them", but they enhance my life so greatly, I couldn't imagine the person I would be without them.

As VetraX said:
[quote name='VetraX']Nothing wrong with that.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Survivalism']I'm absolutely amazed by some of the shit we find to complain about. Seriously. Go the fuck to the store.[/QUOTE]

I'm going to have to agree with him.

[quote name='dotCody']Why don't you... build a PC? :)[/QUOTE]

Already got a gaming PC. I was looking to trade a few unwanted 360 games towards a PS3. I'd like to play some of its exclusives.

[quote name='OmegaChaos']So, because people trade in their games after being done with them, means they don't care about the gaming industry at all?[/quote]

Did you really not learn a thing from the other thread where everyone was basically telling you the negative impact used games have had? or is this grudge you have against me as persistent as your ignorance.

[quote name='OmegaChaos']I also find it amusing how you think you don't save money when trading in games. I've saved over 200$+ in trading in my games when stores do promotions.[/QUOTE]

Good for you :lol:

Point out where I said trading in games doesn't save the consumer money. Oh right, that was an assumption you made on your very own...

[quote name='OmegaChaos']So, because people trade in their games after being done with them, means they don't care about the gaming industry at all? I'm sorry, but that logic is just idiotic. I'm not going to keep a game I bought years ago, and finished just to let it collect dust. I'd rather trade it in towards another game I would enjoy.

I also find it amusing how you think you don't save money when trading in games. I've saved over 200$+ in trading in my games when stores do promotions.[/QUOTE]

The only way to save money is to not spend it.

Also, you could probably could get more by selling it on CAG and it would still be considered a steal. The prices Gamestop and Best Buy offer are asinine.

[quote name='VetraX']Did you really not learn a thing from the other thread where everyone was basically telling you the negative impact used games have had? or is this grudge you have against me as persistent as your ignorance.[/QUOTE]

You seem to be the one who is ignorant. Every product in existence has a used version of it on the market. Why should gaming be any different? The developers have already earned the money from your purchase.

By that logic, people should stop selling their products to retailers. Seeing how selling anything used is bad for the people who made it.

[quote name='b3b0p']The only way to save money is to not spend it.

Also, you could probably could get more by selling it on CAG and it would still be considered a steal. The prices Gamestop and Best Buy offer are asinine.[/QUOTE]

Yup, games that are 4-7 years old would net you more than what EB has to offer right? With their current promotions, those games get boosted to 25$, which I seriously doubt you'd get by selling it on here or anywhere else.

[quote name='VetraX']Did you really not learn a thing from the other thread where everyone was basically telling you the negative impact used games have had? or is this grudge you have against me as persistent as your ignorance.[/QUOTE]

Are you kidding me? Just because you don't trade in games and I do your farts don't smell and mine do?

Used games have a negative impact? On the consumer? No? Then why should I care? I hope you've never sold a used car, or used skates, or a used house, or anything that is essentially being resold. That would make you a hypocrite.

Why is it a sin to trade in games you've finished and have no interest in anymore? Explain that. Why must I keep something I don't care for anymore?

Hell, even digital distributors such as Green Man Gaming are very slowly starting to introduce trade-in values on digital games.

[quote name='Booyakz']Hm... Perhaps that is precisely why you fuel the used games industry, your gaming tenancies are merely a hobby (perhaps you don't even consider it that). Personally, gaming is a central element in my life, I don't know if I would say "my life" is devoted to games, but I am devoted to gaming. I've never been of the ideal, "I wouldn't want to live without them", but they enhance my life so greatly, I couldn't imagine the person I would be without them.[/QUOTE]

According to Wikipedia, a hobby is a regular activity or interest that is undertaken for pleasure, typically done during one's leisure time. Gaming falls under this category no matter which way you put it.

[quote name='AftComet']
According to Wikipedia, a hobby is a regular activity or interest that is undertaken for pleasure, typically done during one's leisure time. Gaming falls under this category no matter which way you put it.[/QUOTE]

My implication was that gaming is more than a hobby to some, it's part of their identity, something which shapes their being.

Also, where did you ever learn that Wikipedia could be used to prove your points? :S As far as I know, you just wrote that into the article before quoting it.

Regardless, this thread has become somewhat of a war, I think everyone needs to calm down. No, used games don't hurt consumers directly, but they do hurt the industry, which indirectly affects consumers. Is that an accurate statement with which we can all agree?

[quote name='OmegaChaos']You seem to be the one who is ignorant. Every product in existence has a used version of it on the market. Why should gaming be any different? The developers have already earned the money from your purchase.

By that logic, people should stop selling their products to retailers. Seeing how selling anything used is bad for the people who made it.[/QUOTE]

repeatingsameolshit.jpg

I think you should stick to accusing people of saying things they didn't.

[quote name='AftComet']Explain that. Why must I keep something I don't care for anymore?
[/QUOTE]

I believe I already did.

[quote name='VetraX']
What your preference is, and what you do is your business.
[/QUOTE]

[quote name='AftComet']
Used games have a negative impact? On the consumer? No? Then why should I care? I hope you've never sold a used car, or used skates, or a used house, or anything that is essentially being resold. That would make you a hypocrite.[/quote]

Hypocrite! lmao are you genuinely mental, or do you really not see the disparity between video games and the examples you just used? seriously, a house, come on, use some sense.

I think you really did outline your whole perspective on this nicely with the bolded statement. You're doing the developers, art directors, programmers, etc. you know, just the people that put their blood, sweat, and tears into making games at the end of the day proud :applause: 60 bucks a pop, 40 some back after a week, and it ends there for you does it...sadly, for them it doesn't. Thanks for contributing to bringing about the impending digital age, by the way, that should be real swell until most people realize they're out their fickle conveniences.

But like I said, whatever floats your boat and helps you sleep at night. I can't change people - I can only do my part.

[quote name='VetraX']

I think you really did outline your whole perspective on this nicely with the bolded statement. You're doing the developers, art directors, programmers, etc. you know, just the people that put their blood, sweat, and tears into making games at the end of the day proud :applause: 60 bucks a pop, 40 some back after a week, and it ends there for you does it...sadly, for them it doesn't. Thanks for contributing to bringing about the impending digital age, by the way, that should be real swell until most people realize they're out their fickle conveniences.
.[/QUOTE]

Bah. You stole my point.

This is a similar argument I make to friends who pirate games/movies/tv shows. (No I'm not saying buying/trading used games is the same, just that they have similar effects on the industry) When you fuel the used game industry you take a sale away from the developers and publishers. They need to adapt (season passes, online play codes, extensive dlc) or die. In the end, yes you do end up hurting the consumer. I think that everyone should have the right to trade in used games without being criticized too harshly, but you should understand and acknowledge the potential harm of what you're doing.

It should be interesting to see what happens to EB/Gamestop when they realize people are still trading in used games, but not a lot of people are buying them. For older or single player games, its fine. But this online pass stuff HAS to be making some form of impact. Getting $5 off a game no longer has ANY value if you have to buy an online pass for $10. I know I rarely buy used games now. There are SO many preorder deals out there, you can get a new game for $39.99. I can't remember the last used game I bought that was released in 2010/2011

The people who are getting SCREWED are the people who are buying games via digital download legit. No case / no hard copy / no manual and most of all, no discount! Full games should be offered at a discount if its being purchased digitally. I'm talking PS3/360/PC. IMO all new release digital games should be $30 - $40. Might as well make $40 on a game you know for sure will have one owner, than $60 for a hard copy title you may lose $120 or more depending on how many owners it has.

Bottom line, when you PURCHASE something, no matter WHAT it is. You are the owner. You do whatever you want with it. Sell it, smash it, you OWN it.

If you really feel that strong against it, perhaps picket outside EB/Gamestop... Oh, don't forget to boycott the Hock Shop, Goodwill, Salvation Army, Value Village and any garage sales you pass on the way... Actually those houses you probably passed were resale too. Oooh, maybe kick over a little girls lemonade stand while you're at it. Fight the machine! Killing in the name of, HUH!!!

Ok, I may have lost my mind and balance at the end, but you get the idea.

[quote name='AftComet']I was looking to trade in the following, in case anyone knew the current actual TIV.

Oblivion
Fable 2
Crackdown 2
COD4[/QUOTE] What are you expecting from these games? Like if they give you $3 for a game, you'll do the trade, but if they give you $2 then the deal's off?

[quote name='Mr.']What are you expecting from these games? Like if they give you $3 for a game, you'll do the trade, but if they give you $2 then the deal's off?[/QUOTE]

Sometimes its just the principal of the thing. Getting $2 and having them sell it for $15-20 is just insulting. When I do trades its usually Old games or garbage games that I just want off my shelf and none of my friends want. I specifically ask them not to tell me individual trade values. The games have no worth to me, but I still dislike the business model of EB/Gamestop.

[quote name='Mr.']What are you expecting from these games? Like if they give you $3 for a game, you'll do the trade, but if they give you $2 then the deal's off?[/QUOTE]

No. Some games they don't accept, some they offer less than a dollar for. It depends on what I paid for it too. It also allows me to compare trade values between places.

[quote name='Wikkidkarma']Sometimes its just the principal of the thing. Getting $2 and having them sell it for $15-20 is just insulting. When I do trades its usually Old games or garbage games that I just want off my shelf and none of my friends want. I specifically ask them not to tell me individual trade values. The games have no worth to me, but I still dislike the business model of EB/Gamestop.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. What's the point of keeping something you don't want/like/need. It takes up space. Instead of throwing it out I get value out of it.

[quote name='Wikkidkarma']Bah. You stole my point.

This is a similar argument I make to friends who pirate games/movies/tv shows. (No I'm not saying buying/trading used games is the same, just that they have similar effects on the industry) When you fuel the used game industry you take a sale away from the developers and publishers. They need to adapt (season passes, online play codes, extensive dlc) or die. In the end, yes you do end up hurting the consumer. I think that everyone should have the right to trade in used games without being criticized too harshly, but you should understand and acknowledge the potential harm of what you're doing.[/QUOTE]

If the original products were at a more reasonable price, people would buy them new instead of used. Games have been the same price for 20+ years. I remember going to Toys-R-Us as a kid with my parents and seeing Sega Master System games for $60... Really? If games/movies/etc. came out at cheaper prices, they'd sell more and reduce the used market.

I literally pour my blood sweat and tears into my job (something game developers DON'T do, get real!), and I'd never expect someone to worry about how I make a living. If they can't operate in the free market (where you can buy things and sell them used) then they are charging too much or there isn't enough demand.

I would never buy movies at $20-$30, and rarely games (Skyrim or games that give a real return on your money, then sure), so if I did download them, I wouldn't be taking anything away from the people who made them - because they would never be getting my money anyway.

Also, why is it so expensive? You can have a documentary style movie or a blockbuster hit with CGI like crazy and top actors and they sell for the same price in store? The consumer has been abused for far too long and it has been done by the industry.

I can't believe there are people who argue that you shouldn't sell your used games (I personally don't). You can buy and sell most anything you want to! That is what happens when you buy it, it's yours and you can burn it, break it, give it away or sell it. The selling of used games is only hurting developers because their prices are too high and stores keep their prices too high too long.

[quote name='Stanger31'](something game developers DON'T do, get real!)[/QUOTE]

Someone else without a fvcking clue. Brilliant.

[quote name='VetraX']Someone else without a fvcking clue. Brilliant.[/QUOTE]

Are you kidding me?

Sweating? When?
Bleeding? When?
Tears? Really?

Please enlighten me on when anyone working in an office on a video game comes anywhere near these things? Papercuts? Stubbed toes? Headaches? Carpal Tunnel?

I appreciate their work and the products... but don't act all high and mighty. Video game developers are video game developers - not heroes or laborers.

[quote name='Stanger31']Are you kidding me?

Sweating? When?
Bleeding? When?
Tears? Really?

Please enlighten me on when anyone working in an office on a video game comes anywhere near these things? Papercuts? Stubbed toes? Headaches? Carpal Tunnel?

I appreciate their work and the products... but don't act all high and mighty. Video game developers are video game developers - not heroes or laborers.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Your comment on operating in a free market economy sums it up the best. Consumers aren't a collective charity.

Oh, so you literally bleed, sweat, and shed tears in your line of profession then do you. It's an expression, not a literal saying.

Come back to me when you find out what the average wage/salary is for someone working at any given studio, a programmer, for instance, which is arguably the most grueling job in the industry; when you find out how many hours these people work and the deadlines they have to meet on a regular basis; how poorly compensated their line of work actually is; the probability of finding a new job once their studio goes under thanks to bias dipshit reviewers and cheapass consumers alike. Think on that along with the hours of entertainment you received from a single game disc that was brought to you by a collective group of 80-120 people, then come back to me and tell me that they're just a bunch of 9 to 5 individuals who piss away their days at a desk.

Most of them aren't mercenaries. The medium of video games runs in their blood, and fuels their passion. They're living out their dreams, and put up with this cruel industry for people just like them: dedicated gamers. They're not doctors, they're not scientists, but the fact that you could even question, borderline undermine and demean, their work just goes to show how little you know about what goes on behind the scenes.

You said: I'd never expect someone to worry about how I make a living.

I don't think most people do (depending on your line of work) but you still feel a sense of pride in doing what you love well, and appreciate any gratitude that happens to come your way. To carelessly deny them recognition and some sort've appreciation, the way you have, though...

In any case, I'm done here. I really can't be bothered any longer. Good luck on getting those trade-in values, OP.

[quote name='VetraX']Oh, so you literally bleed, sweat, and shed tears in your line of profession then do you. It's an expression, not a literal saying.

Come back to me when you find out what the average wage/salary is for someone working at any given studio, a programmer, for instance, which is arguably the most grueling job in the industry; when you find out how many hours these people work and the deadlines they have to meet on a regular basis; how poorly compensated their line of work actually is; the probability of finding a new job once their studio goes under thanks to bias dipshit reviewers and cheapass consumers alike. Think on that along with the hours of entertainment you received from a single game disc that was brought to you by a collective group of 80-120 people, then come back to me and tell me that they're just a bunch of 9 to 5 individuals who piss away their days at a desk.

Most of them aren't mercenaries. The medium of video games runs in their blood, and fuels their passion. They're living out their dreams, and put up with this cruel industry for people just like them: dedicated gamers. They're not doctors, they're not scientists, but the fact that you could even question, borderline undermine and demean, their work just goes to show how little you know about what goes on behind the scenes.

You said: I'd never expect someone to worry about how I make a living.

I don't think most people do (depending on your line of work) but you still feel a sense of pride in doing what you love well, and appreciate any gratitude that happens to come your way. To carelessly deny them recognition and some sort've appreciation, the way you have, though...

In any case, I'm done here. I really can't be bothered any longer. Good luck on getting those trade-in values, OP.[/QUOTE]

The majority of game developers make over six figures. And much, much more if they have profit sharing plans. You make it sound like their jobs are worse than those in Sweat Shops.

If they don't like their jobs they should find other ones. The gaming industry has record profits almost every year and you think they barely have enough to feed themselves.

[quote name='AftComet']The majority of game developers make over six figures. And much, much more if they have profit sharing plans. You make it sound like their jobs are worse than those in Sweat Shops.[/quote]

To give an example, I have a friend of mine that was laid off from a board game company and was hired by good sized video game company for a lesser position. The job was a pay cut and they are struggling to make ends meet. While he's hoping for a promotion, I don't get the impression he will be making as much as me, and I make six figures.

In any case, consumers make their own decision on how to maximize the value of what they have. Just don't be under the illusion that the people who are in the game industry are all rolling in the dough.

[quote name='TheLongshot']To give an example, I have a friend of mine that was laid off from a board game company and was hired by good sized video game company for a lesser position. The job was a pay cut and they are struggling to make ends meet. While he's hoping for a promotion, I don't get the impression he will be making as much as me, and I make six figures.

In any case, consumers make their own decision on how to maximize the value of what they have. Just don't be under the illusion that the people who are in the game industry are all rolling in the dough.[/QUOTE]

For sure. I'm just saying they're not my responsibility. I'm not a charity.

[quote name='AftComet']The majority of game developers make over six figures.[/QUOTE]

That is absolutely not true. The majority of developers are new to the industry and as such, make much smaller sums of money.

There was an article about this somewhere, but I can't find it, this is the closest I could find:
http://www.animationarena.com/video-game-salary.html

All of the six figure salaries listed can be earned only after six years of experience, and the highest reported salaries aren't something easily attainable, most people spend their entire career in the industry and don't earn that kind of money.

Additionally, their jobs are terribly hard. I love video games, but based on all the horror stories, I've decided against it. Possible terrible management, impossible deadlines and dreadful hours (far beyond 9-5, 80 hour work weeks are the norm, especially during crunch time) are incredibly taxing on their mental and emotional states. The video game industry is harsh on its "labourers" while the upper-echelon and corporate side are the ones getting the pay-off.

In the end, the Used games industry isn't going to fix the video game industry, but there is a largely accepted idea that the Used games industry can result in the downsizing/closing of studios due to bad sales. In short, the only numbers the publishers see, or care for, is the sales of new copies of the game, and if there aren't enough copies sold, jobs are lost. Of course there are occasions where this isn't at all true (Team Bondi crumbled, even though LA Noire was brilliant, though that may be blamed entirely on the head of the studio or Kaos studios shutting it's doors even though Homefront was a massive financial success for THQ).

What I'm trying to say is, this problem is bigger than consumers.

[quote name='AftComet']For sure. I'm just saying they're not my responsibility. I'm not a charity.[/QUOTE]

Which is it? They're fairly compensated to the tune of "six figures", or you don't care because you're not a charity?

Do you know how many studios have gone under in the last five years? Do you actually know anyone who works for a game studio? Its obvious you don't.

I think all people are asking--of any consumer, is to see the big picture. If you're someone who doesn't like the concept of online passes--realize why the industry is implementing them. If you're tired of the same old FPS year after year, realize why the industry is becoming hell-bent on producing only mega-hits to recoup their investments.

Some of the most interesting and innovative games have sank the studios that created them because of poor sales. Poor NEW sales.

'just saying.

[quote name='Stanger31']If the original products were at a more reasonable price, people would buy them new instead of used. Games have been the same price for 20+ years. I remember going to Toys-R-Us as a kid with my parents and seeing Sega Master System games for $60... Really? If games/movies/etc. came out at cheaper prices, they'd sell more and reduce the used market.[/QUOTE]

Joke post? Heavy sarcasm?

You're angry the price of games has remained stagnant for 20+ years? I've got news for you--the prices have come DOWN, while the cost to produce them has skyrocketed.

Ask your parents what a loaf of bread cost 20+ years ago, and look into something called "inflation"--then let me know how prices remaining the same (they've actually come down) for 20+ years is a bad thing.

And as for the "used car, used house" argument--you can't really compare them. The experience of buying a new vs old home is in no way comparable. The same with a car.

An older car or home is a degraded good, and a different experience. A used version of a game is the exact same experience as the new one. It doesn't degrade. It doesn't "wear down" for all intents and purposes.

[quote name='collector42']Joke post? Heavy sarcasm?

You're angry the price of games has remained stagnant for 20+ years? I've got news for you--the prices have come DOWN, while the cost to produce them has skyrocketed.

Ask your parents what a loaf of bread cost 20+ years ago, and look into something called "inflation"--then let me know how prices remaining the same (they've actually come down) for 20+ years is a bad thing.[/QUOTE]

Actually, I was aiming at the other point - how games have ALWAYS been over priced and still are. They may not be as overpriced as they used to be, but they still are. And I was showing their historical greed at the cost of the consumer. $60 for Tommy Lasorda baseball on Sega Master System...

As for costs.... They are able to mass produce CD/DVD's MUCH cheaper than making a game cartridge.

So their programming costs weren't as high before, but their production of the actual product was more expensive. Now their programming costs are up and their production costs are down.

Games have been and are still overpriced. Many people are arguing that you get 80-120 hours of gameplay from a game - not the case with most games, that is very rare. 20-30 is more reasonable. Heck, I'd be ok if they based the price off of game play hours.

Why is Skyrim the same price as a game like Legendary when they are released? Please explain that to me... It's pure greed and they know they can sucker enough people in to buying it. I am very aware that we as consumers do it to ourselves too, buying things that aren't worth it reinforces the video game producers to charge higher prices for things.

I also agree video games are a better bang for your buck (entertainment wise) when compared to other forms of entertainment, but those other forms of entertainment are also overpriced. I don't play PC games, but they seem to have come down in price to a more reasonable level, based on what I've seen from Steam and other sites (let me know if I'm mistaken though).

Just a note for those of you arguing about what people make in the video game industry. I attended the Bioware Christmas party this year, there is a mixture of people making average $40,000 salaries and up into the 6 figures, there is a mixture, I'm sure the majority is in there somewhere. But also consider the benefits you get that aren't money (games, or in Bioware's case: EA points to spend on products).

[quote name='Stanger31']Actually, I was aiming at the other point - how games have ALWAYS been over priced and still are. They may not be as overpriced as they used to be, but they still are. And I was showing their historical greed at the cost of the consumer. $60 for Tommy Lasorda baseball on Sega Master System...

As for costs.... They are able to mass produce CD/DVD's MUCH cheaper than making a game cartridge.

So their programming costs weren't as high before, but their production of the actual product was more expensive. Now their programming costs are up and their production costs are down.

Games have been and are still overpriced. Many people are arguing that you get 80-120 hours of gameplay from a game - not the case with most games, that is very rare. 20-30 is more reasonable. Heck, I'd be ok if they based the price off of game play hours.

Why is Skyrim the same price as a game like Legendary when they are released? Please explain that to me... It's pure greed and they know they can sucker enough people in to buying it. I am very aware that we as consumers do it to ourselves too, buying things that aren't worth it reinforces the video game producers to charge higher prices for things.

I also agree video games are a better bang for your buck (entertainment wise) when compared to other forms of entertainment, but those other forms of entertainment are also overpriced. I don't play PC games, but they seem to have come down in price to a more reasonable level, based on what I've seen from Steam and other sites (let me know if I'm mistaken though).

Just a note for those of you arguing about what people make in the video game industry. I attended the Bioware Christmas party this year, there is a mixture of people making average $40,000 salaries and up into the 6 figures, there is a mixture, I'm sure the majority is in there somewhere. But also consider the benefits you get that aren't money (games, or in Bioware's case: EA points to spend on products).[/QUOTE]

The increased costs in development and marketing are not comparable to price of a disc vs a cartridge, IMO.

I would disagree with video games, or other forms of entertainment, being overpriced, generally speaking. If I go to watch a film in its theatrical release, I pay somewhere between $8-$16 (regular, IMAX and 3D considered). Let's say the average price is $12. A AAA video game costs $60 at release. $60/$12=5. The average movie is 2 hours long, 5x2=10. By this reasoning, a video game is adequately priced.

I understand that you think both video games and other entertainment mediums are also overpriced, but what price would you consider to be reasonable? With the price of development/production and marketing, I believe most forms of entertainment are reasonably priced. If you look at the massive successes, you may disagree, but most entertainment (especially movies and game) barely earn back the money spent on making them.

Additionally, entertainment is not crucial in life, so there is no reason for it to be "reasonably priced", it is a luxury, and really made for the rich who have to much money on their hands (which certainly doesn't describe most gamers, it certainly doesn't describe me). Remember the people who bought PS3s for $600?

Thank you for having real numbers on the salaries which devs make (which support my prior argument). :D

It's great that their EA gaming needs are taken care of by the company, but honestly I don't believe a couple hundred dollars in games makes up for all the negatives mentioned earlier (low salary, long hours, abusive bosses, etc.).

bread's done
Back