You want to know why so many deals go south?

[quote name='onikage']It's probably the first site Manimal checks everyday, even before Gamefaqs.

http://www.nambla.org/ :hot:[/QUOTE]:shock:

I would say thanks for clearing that up, but I think I would have been better off never knowing. :lol:

I thought it was good that those people are using Cag15? Doesn't cheapy get some commission?

[quote name='Apossum']I thought it was good that those people are using Cag15? Doesn't cheapy get some commission?[/QUOTE]

Nope, Cheapy only gets commission when people use referral links from CAG to buy stuff on EB's site.

[quote name='SkyGheNe']As a fellow attending storrs campus uconn and livin in windsor, I third.[/QUOTE]

I 4th that, maybe CAG won't ban you But CT definitely has.

I just don't get why some people want to advertise a new deal everywhere on the Internet. They might end up screwing themselves (as well as everyone else) out of the deal.

[quote name='MaxBiaggi2']I just don't get why some people want to advertise a new deal everywhere on the Internet. They might end up screwing themselves (as well as everyone else) out of the deal.[/QUOTE]Don't you want to share your finds with friends that would appreciate it? I do post a few deals I find on CAG on my personal blog, but I guess the traffic there isn't anywhere near that of FW or GFAQs. I suppose the scale does factor into whether you're being cheap or just... a not-so-nice person. For instance, helping friends in faraway places get to Best Buy to pick up a Burnout Revenge demo is a good thing, is it not? When IGN decides to grab all the copies in stock, it's not so good. What if all the copies are going to deserving people, though? I share any demos I get with friends who'd never make it to a particular store or web site if I didn't tell them. "Ruining" a deal for others isn't good, but if we can avoid hoarders, we should be all right. (A tall order, I know.)

Part of the motivation of posting, I'm sure, is getting recognized on a big board, but the same reasons come into play here on CAG as well. I could avoid posting on the Chicago CAG thread, but it's good to share what's available with neighbors of like mind. And what about if you're a blogger on a game-related site that does get a significant amount of traffic? Would it be permissible to post there as opposed to a straight-up forum somewhere? What about if the deal's already been "leaked" to FW or any of the other big sites already mentioned? Is there a street date on this info that no outsiders should be privy to (and which will never come)? I understand that most of us hang our heads and sigh once a deal's been posted to FW or the like, but (to steal a line from M$) isn't it good to play together? [rant over]

I would actually like to get the opinions of the site moderators (if not CheapyD himself) on this topic and the questions posed as they may be(come) more than hypothetical for not a few people who frequent this board. Would you approve any of the actions listed above? Under what circumstances? (Utilizing the sponsored links, for instance?) Any guidance you can give would be appreciated. Oh, and I'm sure I'll get enough replies along the lines of: "Never tell anyone anything... evar! Except when it comes to posting here, of course." I'm just asking for calm and reasoned answers that go beyond addressing the fear of eBay resellers. Thanks in advance.

--Dan

[quote name='Seventh']I 4th that, maybe CAG won't ban you But CT definitely has.[/QUOTE]

i take that to the power of 5. go back to wherever you came from!

[quote name='dpac']I would actually like to get the opinions of the site moderators (if not CheapyD himself) on this topic and the questions posed as they may be(come) more than hypothetical for not a few people who frequent this board. Would you approve any of the actions listed above? Under what circumstances? (Utilizing the sponsored links, for instance?) Any guidance you can give would be appreciated. Oh, and I'm sure I'll get enough replies along the lines of: "Never tell anyone anything... evar! Except when it comes to posting here, of course." I'm just asking for calm and reasoned answers that go beyond addressing the fear of eBay resellers. Thanks in advance.

--Dan[/QUOTE]
I think I remember CheapyD posting that doesn't mind spreading the word of the deal, but that it would be nice if the person who spreads the word to another site would credit CAG as the source. (I'm trying to remember which thread he posted that in...)

I don't think what MANIMAL did was ban-worthy. Most of the GameFAQers don't even believe him. I mean, people take deals from other sites and post them here all the time. I am surprised he's still here considering his poor trading record, though.

He sent me a PM about something in my tradelist several months ago. I told him if he changed his avatar to something other than his wretched mugshot and stopped raping the English language, I'd send him the game for free. His reply? Something along the lines of, "Aight bro, send yer game n ill change it up straight 4 reel." He's so street.

[quote name='judyjudyjudy']I think I remember CheapyD posting that doesn't mind spreading the word of the deal, but that it would be nice if the person who spreads the word to another site would credit CAG as the source. (I'm trying to remember which thread he posted that in...)[/QUOTE]Thanks for the info, judy. If a proper reference is all that's needed, then all the posts in my blog are in the clear. But, technically, does that mean even a well-referenced post on FW et. al. will be okay with most everyone here? (I know that you can never please everyone all of the time, so "most everyone" will have to do.) And does that mean the original beef with manimal had more to do with not crediting CAG properly than simply posting such a deal on a site like FW in the first place (which many people seem philosophically and/or morally opposed to)? If so (meaning: proper references are what really matter), then I guess my mind can be set at ease; otherwise, further delineation of what's permissible may be required. I'm sure other users (even manimal) would appreciate the guidelines.

[quote name='Richard18']i take that to the power of 5. go back to wherever you came from![/QUOTE]

So much power from CT. We could probably unite to summon captain planet. I'm not heart though.

I call fire. The power to flame.

[quote name='dpac']If so (meaning: proper references are what really matter), then I guess my mind can be set at ease; otherwise, further delineation of what's permissible may be required. I'm sure other users (even manimal) would appreciate the guidelines.[/QUOTE]

Shipwreck made a good point. Just referencing CAG isn't enough in my book. Provide a link to the thread at CAG so Cheapy at least gets some cash out of the extra traffic. If you just post the deal somewhere and credit CAG at the end of the post I doubt most people reading it would bother to find out what CAG is or even visit. But if you tease the deal ("Get Nintendogs free! Find out how at CAG.") At least it gets people to sign up for the forums in order to view the deals and gets them clicking the Affiliate links. In my opinion, just posting on your personal blog's not a big deal, but every little bit helps.

Aww..I see we've found our leak. I wonder how many other deals he's been sending out to GFAQs, FW, etc. He should be banned. I didn't read the thread, and haven't caught up on the trade 3 in deal, but I'm guessing that it's probably gone now or at least there will never be any more like it. I really ought to get caught up on it..

I let others know on DVDTalk about the Nintendogs deal only because there was a previous thread about it, and most people had no idea what was going on.

I simply said
"Its very very very very very YMMV.
There is a 500+ post thread going on atCAG about this:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums...29&page=1&pp=50"

With a link right to thread. That is the way these deals need to be handled. If the deal originated it from here, lets try and keep it that way.

[quote name='Spruce']Shipwreck made a good point. Just referencing CAG isn't enough in my book. Provide a link to the thread at CAG so Cheapy at least gets some cash out of the extra traffic. If you just post the deal somewhere and credit CAG at the end of the post I doubt most people reading it would bother to find out what CAG is or even visit. But if you tease the deal ("Get Nintendogs free! Find out how at CAG.") At least it gets people to sign up for the forums in order to view the deals and gets them clicking the Affiliate links. In my opinion, just posting on your personal blog's not a big deal, but every little bit helps.[/QUOTE]I always link back directly to the CAG thread where the deal was found (unless, of course, the thread's been deleted), but do let me know if there's anything else that I should be aware of. Whether direct linking (and crediting) is still good enough when the post is made on a bigger blog or news site is my primary concern. At any rate, thanks for the feedback, y'all.

[quote name='onikage']It's probably the first site Manimal checks everyday, even before Gamefaqs.

http://www.nambla.org/ :hot:[/QUOTE]

Holy crappers, I though South Park made up nambla. I can't believe it exists. (at least I think it does, did not check to see if it was a parody, for fear of seeing unwanted pics)

I don't know about Manimal (know nothing of his history), but who is this guy? "timpkmn89" on gamefaqs - he's obviously registered on CAG - the bastard quoted ME in the gamefaq's Nintendogs thread :D.

[quote name='dpac']Thanks for the info, judy. If a proper reference is all that's needed, then all the posts in my blog are in the clear. But, technically, does that mean even a well-referenced post on FW et. al. will be okay with most everyone here? (I know that you can never please everyone all of the time, so "most everyone" will have to do.) And does that mean the original beef with manimal had more to do with not crediting CAG properly than simply posting such a deal on a site like FW in the first place (which many people seem philosophically and/or morally opposed to)? If so (meaning: proper references are what really matter), then I guess my mind can be set at ease; otherwise, further delineation of what's permissible may be required. I'm sure other users (even manimal) would appreciate the guidelines.[/QUOTE]

Personally (and I'm sure a lot of CAGers would agree) I think it would be great if the big deals remained exclusive to CAG. That means less people know about them and more chance for CAGers to get in on them. But there's no way to stop a poster from FW or SD from taking the top deals on here and reposting them there. It's not like CAG owns the deals, the stores are the ones selling the games after all.

I've posted deals from SD onto CAG in the past, always giving credit to SD.

I think manimal should have put something like

'Credit to jrbernal83 at CAG' at the top of his OP on gamefaqs, if he simply couldn't resist posting the deal there.

[quote name='Richard18']i take that to the power of 5. go back to wherever you came from![/QUOTE]

You're actually 6th. You guys left out shadylane.

[quote name='SkyGheNe']So much power from CT. We could probably unite to summon captain planet. I'm not heart though.

I call fire. The power to flame.[/QUOTE]

I call heart. :cool:

It's okay, GameFAQers are too pathetic to figure out how to get in on CAG deals anyway. Look:

Could somebody copy-and-paste the article for me? I'm not registered with Cheap Ass Gamer and can't see it. >.>
BTW how do we even know this deal is legit. it sounds kinda crazy.
i apparently need a coupon. damit

They're currently trying to figure out what coupon they need to get the deal.

bread's done
Back