Your Biggest Waste of Money on Gaming?

Buying a Wii at launch. Thought I'd like the motion controls, but ended up hating them. Once I got an HDTV, I couldn't stand the graphics. Wasn't much I wanted to play after Mario, Metroid and Zelda--though the game line up is starting to pick up again finally.

Ended up giving it to my girlfriend's brother and his family, their kids love it so it wasn't a waste of money I guess!

Re networking my house because my new 360 slim had wireless built in. Bought a new router, wireless printer, adapter for my computer, and even a wireless mouse for my laptop

[quote name='Duck in a Pond']Re networking my house because my new 360 slim had wireless built in. Bought a new router, wireless printer, adapter for my computer, and even a wireless mouse for my laptop[/QUOTE]

So having a wireless network is a waste?

Launch N64 (though I had my parents return it much to their surprise)
DJ Hero (Seriously going to sell it soon. Terribly boring game.)
PS3 (A huge $300 black dust collecting paper weight at the moment. Ugh.)
Resistance series (*zZzZzZzZz*)
Borderlands (Overrated, terrible story, 34309483 variants of the same 50 or so guns in the game got old REAL quick)

Its kind of a cheap answer but nearly every game I bought that I finished in a few days which I could have rented, that I never had an interest in playing again. Like Heavy Rain I wasted €40 on that game, Bought it for €50 and finished it in one weekend, great game and loved it but I am done with it and will more than likely never go back.

[quote name='Number83']Buying the CD attachment for the Turbo-Graffix 16.[/QUOTE]

I wish I had gotten that back in the day. There were a ton of awesome Japanese games that didn't make it over here that you could've played on that thing.

[quote name='evanom']Its kind of a cheap answer but nearly every game I bought that I finished in a few days which I could have rented, that I never had an interest in playing again. Like Heavy Rain I wasted €40 on that game, Bought it for €50 and finished it in one weekend, great game and loved it but I am done with it and will more than likely never go back.[/QUOTE]

That's why I use Goozex. 99% of games are like that for me, so better to just use a trading site to get (and get rid of) most of the games I play.

I built up a base of points trading last gen games off and I tend to keep a balance around 2000 points by just getting a game, beating it and trading it back for the same points I paid for it. So games end up basically costing me only the $2.20 or so in shipping to send them back out.

Biggest waste of money on gaming? That's an easy one.

EVERY GAME THAT I BOUGHT BECAUSE IT WAS ON SALE THAT NOW SITS IN MY BACKLOG.

I love/hate this site LOL

Had 2 XBL 1-year codes that I got for cheap, then missed entering them by about a day and got his with the auto-renew. $50 of whatever it was for 13 months, when I have a $30-something card sitting right next to the 360. Doh!

Full price on MW2, FF8, FF13, PSP, SWG, City of Heroes, Gears of War 2... I know there is others I can't think of atm.

I guess MW2 wasn't a big waste... single player was ok, had a little fun online with friends for like a week, and was able to sell it back to gamestop for $45...

[quote name='evildeadjedi']:wall: :bomb: :censored::censored:#-ofuckfuckAtari Jaguar 64-bit DO THE MATH MY ASS! That console was complete ASS![/QUOTE]

Haha, I worked for Babbages when this was in the stores and my boss and I used to play this one game called "pick one thing in the store and sell it by close." He didn't play fair and picked a Jaguar for me to sell. He lost the bet, I lost my soul, and that poor guy that walked in the door believed me when I said two 32 bit processors meant 64 bit.

Sorry bro.

Oh, and my submission is buying, then selling, then buying, then selling, then buying a Nintendo DS. It took several years to get into it until I finally fell in love with it.

Lets see... I have a track record for wasting money on systems that seem to fail soon after purchasing: Turbographx/TurboDuo, Magnavox CD-i, Jaguar, Virtual Boy, and the Neo Geo pocket.

Excellent pedigree flizmo.

I'd have to say the MW2 360 Bundle, because I ended up having to replace controllers and mic thanks to my temper. :>

And the fact that I threw the disc out into the street last week. But that's still the most joy I ever got out that game.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']Kept it about a month cause Aliens VS Predator was okay and I wanted to beat the game. I got Sega CD at a local game place with Lunar The Silver Star and Spiderman. Lunar was awesome until I got to the Bone Dragon, killed it and then game froze. :(. Reloaded from my last save and killed the Bone Dragon again and the GAME FROZE AGAIN!!! :bomb: Went back to the store told them about the situation and they let me swap the game. Played the game again to get to the Bone Dragon and the fucking :wall::censored::censored::censored:fuckfuckfuck piece of:wall::censored::censored::censored:fuckfuckfuck froze after killing him again.[/QUOTE]

Was this the version 2 of the SegaCD? Did the boss music track reach its endpoint and then not start up again? I had the same problem, and couldn't figure out what was going wrong since it wasn't consistent. I finally gave the entire system a slight *thwack* both out of frustration and desperation, and lo and behold the boss music started up again! I then beat the boss and everything was fine! As far as I could tell, it seemed like that model of the SegaCD had trouble on certain games with starting back up on the music tracks after reaching the end of them. Apparently jostling it like that helped force the laser read the disc again. I had that same issue with Shining Force CD as well come to think of it.

I wouldn't say the money I wasted on the Wii was as offensive as the time I wasted trying to get one at launch. But the money is offensive enough. The Wii.

I have two that were so bad i dont know which was worse.

1. The Aura Interactor.
2. X-band modem for the SNES.

The Wii.

I am serious.

Mostly all the games aside from Nintendo made games (and those come few and far between) lack depth.

I'm surprised not to see more MMORPG's. I've wasted a lot of money on WoW back in the day and basically every new MMORPG that comes out sounds amazing but always ends up a waste of time/money. Thus why I don't get hyped for MMO's anymore.

The worst offender had to be Age of Conan. My friends ASSURED me (at least four times (I asked cause I didnt want to waste my money)) that they would be playing this for a while. I bought it $50 and asked them again, "YOU SUREEE?!" and they said yes again. Opened it, bought a month then a day later everyone quit because the game sucked. Yay for that! fucking waste of goddam money!!! And no, I'll never trust them again.

Back in 2000 I bought a $1000 computer from compusa with a $500 warranty (1st purchase idiocy). I guess it was decent for gaming at the time once I got the 64 MB PCI graphics card put in. Ah, playing Neverwinter Nights on a 12 GB hard drive :rofl:

Also I spent a fair bit of money on $10-20 PC games which looked good on paper, but that I couldn't really get into because the interface sucked. Morrowind and Homeworld come to mind.

[quote name='Drizzt']Was this the version 2 of the SegaCD? Did the boss music track reach its endpoint and then not start up again? I had the same problem, and couldn't figure out what was going wrong since it wasn't consistent. I finally gave the entire system a slight *thwack* both out of frustration and desperation, and lo and behold the boss music started up again! I then beat the boss and everything was fine! As far as I could tell, it seemed like that model of the SegaCD had trouble on certain games with starting back up on the music tracks after reaching the end of them. Apparently jostling it like that helped force the laser read the disc again. I had that same issue with Shining Force CD as well come to think of it.[/QUOTE]

Yes, it was the side by side version and not the stacked one. The boss music did stop and it just froze when the bone dragon was dying on both copies. I did hit it a few times and nearly tossed it out the fucking window but it didn't help :(. The odd thing is I never had another issue with any other title including Shining Force.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']Yes, it was the side by side version and not the stacked one. The boss music did stop and it just froze when the bone dragon was dying on both copies. I did hit it a few times and nearly tossed it out the fucking window but it didn't help :(. The odd thing is I never had another issue with any other title including Shining Force.[/QUOTE]

Hmm that's very odd. :whistle2:? I even remember how I developed the fist slam where I hit the main Sega Genesis unit which sent the right vibration to the CD attachment and started things back up again. That's a major bummer cause the original Lunar is very good.

The Sega Genesis. Not for any reason related to the games, but due to my parents having a one console at a time policy where I'd have to sell the old system when I got a new one. I bought a Genesis with my Xmas money to replace my SNES and my parents ended up buying me a PS1 the following May, so I had to sell the Genesis at our garage sale soon after. It's a good thing that they stopped that stupid policy when I got an N64 a year or so later for Xmas.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']I'm surprised not to see more MMORPG's. I've wasted a lot of money on WoW back in the day and basically every new MMORPG that comes out sounds amazing but always ends up a waste of time/money. Thus why I don't get hyped for MMO's anymore.

The worst offender had to be Age of Conan. My friends ASSURED me (at least four times (I asked cause I didnt want to waste my money)) that they would be playing this for a while. I bought it $50 and asked them again, "YOU SUREEE?!" and they said yes again. Opened it, bought a month then a day later everyone quit because the game sucked. Yay for that! fucking waste of goddam money!!! And no, I'll never trust them again.[/QUOTE]

I payed for 4 years a WoW and it was easily the best gaming deal for me at the time -- quit last year because of what it's become though =/

My friends tried to get me to buy Aion and a new computer to run it, but I held out and watched them all quit. I recommend them games, not the other way around.

The Wii. Bought a ton of Wii games, 3 Wiimotes, a nunchuck, 3 mario kart wheels, wii fit, the wii zapper. All now sitting either in a box or collecting dust. What a waste.
Bunch of great 1st party games at first and then nothing but junk.

Yoshi's Story for N64. I even played the demo at Toys R Us and thought... "wait this is the sequel to Yoshi's Island it's gotta get better" so I bought it. I was wrong.

the biggest waste of money on gaming is cheapassgamer.com.

can't tell you how many times while lurking on the site that i went out and bought some stupid clearance game or got in on a deal only to never play the game or trading it in without any interest in the game..

[quote name='shosh']the biggest waste of money on gaming is cheapassgamer.com.

can't tell you how many times while lurking on the site that i went out and bought some stupid clearance game or got in on a deal only to never play the game or trading it in without any interest in the game..[/QUOTE]

This is cheapassgamer. I think you were looking for dumbassgamer.

Simultaneous subscriptions to EverQuest, Dark Ages of Camelot, The Matrix Online and Final Fantasy XI. I also ran a 30 day free trial of Star Wars Galaxies in there too. I barely had enough time to play one, much less all four of them. Ultimately went back to EverQuest for a bit longer until cancelling them all. I am now scared to try another MMORPG for fear of getting hooked in again.

The days of renting the Nintendo 64 and Perfect Dark nearly every weekend were also pretty wasteful periods in my gaming history.

[quote name='Vinny']Pretty much everything I purchased before I found out about CAG.[/QUOTE]
QFT. I wouldn't say I spend less money on gaming, but I usually get several games for the same cost, thanks to CAG. It's become impossible for me to buy anything at msrp.

There's a lot of games I buy I'm not entirely happy with or simply don't like, but now they all go towards getting me things I'm happy with via trade-in deals and such.

I bought the Dreamcast and PlayStation 1 while the PS2 was out and running wild in the gaming industry. Played Sonic Adventure for 3 months then finally realized the PS2 is out with some really cool games.

PSO III: Card Revolution (GC)

Why oh why the fuck did I buy this game at release?

I absolutely loved PSO: I & II, so to my surprise I found out that the sequel was nothing like it and was instead a card battle game... If only I read past "PSO: III" instead of making a blind purchase...

Buying a Wii and 3 games when it was still $250. Played the Wii 4 times over the course of a year and ending up selling it all the following year. Despite only losing around $40, it still was a waste of time.

Halo 3 Legendary for $130 day 1 takes the cake hands down. I can get it for under $40 today... plus the package blew.

bread's done
Back