Your collection - post a photo - show us what'cha got!

Because the dude couldn't get to places to install it?

For $5, i would buy a bunch of those - instore only? Didn't see online costco.com.
Yeah. I had to block the port in my bedroom with stuff, so to make room in my closet and kitchen/main area, I had to move a lot of stuff out of my place. The guy ended up splicing the line in the attic and I think in doing so he killed the port in the kitchen and the bedroom. He said that is how they do it now b/c everyone has cordless phones and uses voip. I think once it gets a little cooler, I'll have someone else come out and do it properly. Felt bad because the dude was int he attic for a long time on the hottest day in decades. I had to go up there too to help get him near the area we though the cord was located.

Yeah I only saw them at my local store. They were something like $5.86 or something (yes they are the bigger size). They are cheap/have rough edges/may have a little extra plastic they didn't stamp out properly-that I cut off with a blade, but they are really solid and slightly flexible on the bottom so they work well for systems and cords and stuff like that. They are made to stack too!

Since I was cleaning out the closet in my old bedroom at my parents' house, I decided to snap a few quick pics of the SEGA CD/Saturn games. There is definitely at least one or two boxes missing (since Albert's Odyssey, Panzer Dragoon Zwei, and a few others are missing.)

I didn't bother taking pictures of the consoles (there is a boxed Genesis, boxed Sega CD, boxed Saturn, CD-X, etc)

There are a few new games in there like Monkey Island.

My Sega CD/Saturn collection is pretty much one of the best deals game wise I ever got. Everything except Keio was picked up (about 7/8 years ago) for a total of about $35 (from a $10 sight unseen bundle and a $25 sight unseen duffle bag full of games)

[attachment=23122:20160731_163631.jpg]

[attachment=23123:20160731_164023.jpg]

[attachment=23124:20160731_164029.jpg]

You can add this to the pictures of my NES stuff I posted about 2 months ago hah

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been buying Lego Dimensions Fun Packs when they go on sale. Started to run out of space on my TV stand, so I stopped opening them until I got something to display them on. It arrived yesterday, so I decided to catch up.

So I had to get AT&T internet installed and shit got real with how much stuff I have. I bought 10 of these and that only stored about 1/20 of my game collection (they were on sale for $5.xx each at costco). I will not be able to display my collection until I by a bigger home.
The worst part of my move was definitely finding decent boxes that didn't have rounded edges/corners... the dozen boxes I got work weren't nearly enough. I'm glad someone mentioned bankers boxes, I found some at WM for cheap and they were sturdy enough to stack.

I know this is the collection thread - but has anyone here ever pared down their massive collection?

Was it by choice or necessity? 

How much did you end up clearing?

What did you use the money for?

Did you regret it later on?

I mentioned a few months back I was starting to think about and sell off some of my stuff and thought I'd ask to see what other people have done.

I did this with my anime DVD collection back in 2008. It was the first time I started to really sell on eBay and used  the funds to pay for a trip to Japan after college graduation. I ended up clearing about 4K but know I spent probably double that over the years on them (I had started buying freshmen year of high school and had pretty much stopped by freshmen/sophmore year of college). It wasn't a necessity but I had hundreds of sets, art boxes, pack in bonuses (I remember Najica had a pair of panties included), etc. and decided to try and make room before I moved back home after school. I never regretted it since 95% were things I watched once and put away to never look at again (aside when people would borrow them).

Now I've started to purge out alot of game stuff. I've moved into my own house and had previously kept everything stored at my parents' place. My mom is looking to potentially move out and I honestly wouldn't want to crowd my own place up with thousands of video game things (My collection is pretty much stored in my old bedroom taking up a good hunk of the entire room). Even if I did bring it over I don't think I'd want to fill up and entire room with just bookcases and bookcases full of carts and cases. (I already have bookcases full of statues, figurines, and other things)

So far out of the collection I've cleared about 11K in sales (after fees/shipping). This includes most of the GBA, DS, 3DS, Wii, Xbox, PS2, Dreamcast, and PC collection. So far I haven't regretted it, but I don't think I will be able to sell a few things like my NES and SNES collection, my World of Nintendo light up sign, or my 7ft tall Virtual Boy display unit.

I had started to sell my collection when I started in college.  I probably unloaded 20 games or so before I already started to regret it.  I didn't *need* the money; it was mostly just helping out with little bills and whatnot. 

Thankfully, I didn't sell anything *too* rare.  Some of the things I've recently picked up and got them cheaper then when I sold them (looking at old PM's).  Still have a few games I need to re-buy though. 

For me, I think I would regret it *unless* I needed to sell for a medical emergency/family emergency (or something like that).  I wouldn't regret it one bit if I need the money to fund a surgery or something, but I know I'd hate myself if I funded a temporary thing (vacation) or just for spending money or something else.

Part of keeping my collection isn't necessarily even about the games and consoles, but the memories I get when I browse through it.  Sometimes I go in and pull a game off the shelf to reminisce about times playing it, how/where I bought it, etc. 

It helps that my wife is pretty encouraging about my collection.  While she doesn't play, she helps find deals from garage sales and whatnot, and she's very happy to help assemble a man-cave in our next home.

For me, it's more about lack of space. We got a storage unit to give us space to clean and sort, and we ended up filling up any space we cleared out just as fast.

I've been trying to buy a lot less, i.e. getting vanilla Vita games vice the big LEs.

I've been trying to get rid of the larger items and pricier items first, but only if I don't actually want them any more. My criteria is basically if I didn't have it, would I buy it? If so, I keep it. Else, I get rid of it. I got rid of maybe 30% of my CEs so far that way. I lost momentum when I ran out of shipping boxes and my Prime ended, around February. Planning on ramping up again soon.

Part of keeping my collection isn't necessarily even about the games and consoles, but the memories I get when I browse through it. Sometimes I go in and pull a game off the shelf to reminisce about times playing it, how/where I bought it, etc.

It helps that my wife is pretty encouraging about my collection. While she doesn't play, she helps find deals from garage sales and whatnot, and she's very happy to help assemble a man-cave in our next home.
The memories stuff is why I don't think I'll sell the NES or SNES stuff. Those two systems are my go to systems in terms of memories. My earliest video game memory is getting Zelda 2 for Christmas when I was like 5 and then a SNES when I was 7 and at some point Link to the Past when I was like 7. I went over the manuals on both those games a million times. Even though I wasn't reading much at 6 I loved the pictures in the Zelda manuals.

One of my favorite video game images of all time is Link walking away from the castle from Zelda 2. I even bought the Japanese handbill so I could hang it up.

Zelda_2_Flyer_01.jpg

The rest of my collection is 99% never been played. The SEGA Saturn, CD, Genesis, Master System, etc. I've played probably 10 games total out of the whole bunch. I've only played through one turbo grafx cd game (Y's 1+2 combo).

Not that I need the money myself, but it just seems like a better idea then having stacks of boxes in an old bedroom or closet. Also I'm use the money for a few expensive things I'd like for myself so that is nice too.

Had a major scare last weekend when my basement flooded. The front half is finished and that's where my collection is, but the back half has been having some problems with the masonry. It was only 1.5" of water and fortunately all the shelves are on legs, and my wife was able to get everything out of the way. The only thing that got damaged was the box for a Wii Fit board, which is definitely not a huge deal.

I've sold off a couple of things that I've come to regret, all for the gamecube: Tales of Symphonia, Paper Mario, Skies of Arcadia, Cubivore, Battalion Wars, and Ikaruga.  On the bright side, I picked up Tales on the PS3 for a lot cheaper than what I sold it for, but I haven't been able to get the others.  My only consolation is that I wouldn't have had a chance to play them anyway.  

From time to time I get the urge to sell all my old systems and games (Intellivision, NES, SNES, N64) especially now that they can be emulated if I ever want to play them again.  Then I stop myself because I don't really need the money.

Sometimes I wish I was like Cheapy though.  He goes through a purge of old stuff when when he transitions up to the next gen.  That would greatly help with clutter and moving.

I've thought about purging my collection many games but every time I start going through my games, one by one, it ends up the same... I find 1-2 that I'm cool with selling, and then the other 100 that I want to keep, and ultimately say screw it and don't bother. 

With that said, I've slowed down my purchasing quite a bit. I've settled on making the Wii U the last system I collect for. I'll still buy games for my PS4 and 3DS but not with the goal of collecting. I also plan on dumping some CEs... they take up too much space. 

A while back I mentioned that I was in the process of building a custom cabinet for my game consoles.  Well, it's finally done and all set up.   I took a bunch of pics along the way and figured I'd share.

The cabinet is made up of four parts: the main body is broken into individual left and right pieces in order to make transportation possible (the whole thing weighs over 400 pounds), a top counter, and a bottom kickguard/skirt.  

The unit has 30 individual front compartments to hold individual game consoles as well as my AV receiver and Framemeister.  Each compartment has a fan to produce air flow to safeguard against overheating.  

There is a hidden rear compartment that houses all of the AV wiring, electrical (48 mounted outlets via a pair of workbench strips), and gigabit networking.  The rear compartment is also cooled with a temperature-sensing fan system.  I realized while typing this up that I didn't get a good pic of the rear compartment after everything was connected (just during the earlier stages of the build process).

The exterior has a cherry finish that matches my Mt. Vernon Cherry Polk LSiM speakers (although the lighting in the pics doesn't make it look like they match for some reason).   The interior of the compartments is white so that it reacts with the blue LED lighting.

There are a TON of pictures here, so I'm popping them in spoiler tags so as to not clutter up the whole page.

On to the pics (click for high res):

Stage 1:  initial interior framing

Stage 2: exterior attached & casters mounted

Rear view (the vertical center boards on top and bottom allow the two independent units to be bolted together, the large holes are for the fans, the small holes will be fitted with grommets for cable passthrough)

Front view (the front facing has yet to be finished at this stage)

Individual compartment view

Stage 3: Woodwork complete - time to mount fans and install lighting

Right-side unit

Rear view after fan mounting (pardon the sawdust - I had just drilled all the bolt holes for the fan mounts):

Top counter completion (my woodworker buddy drilling the holes in the top counter for TV power and HDMI passthrough):

Rear view of the right side unit, now with thermal control (top), fan and lighting power switches, and exterior vent fans installed:

Stage 4: Delivery Day!

Immediately after being rolled off the truck and into my game-paying room

Prepping to bolt the two units together (front view):

Combined rear view.  This is before I actually wired all of the fans up, and mounted the electrical outlets.  The final unit has each row of fans able to be turned on/off independently and has two 72" 24-outlet workbench power strips mounted along the back.  I've got two gigabit switches mounted to the two top center panels so all network-capable devices are connected via gigabit Cat-6.  The back also houses a various RGB SCART and HDMI auto switches and splitters (so that consoles are auto-detected and can be routed to either TV).

Top countertop and bottom kickguard installed (i.e. the complete unit, before any systems are setup)

Stage 5: Fully-Populated and Ready to Game!

Here's what it looks like with the room lights on.  The faint blue glow in the compartments is from the blue LED fans.  In this pic the actual blue LED in each compartment are not on.  The main TV is a 64" Samsung plasma, the secondary TV is a 46" Sony Bravia LCD.

Game%20Cabinet%20-%20Stage%205%20-%2001.jpg

And here it is with the LEDs turned on:

Left side systems (Sony, Nintendo, & Sega, as well as my Marantz SR5010 receiver.

Right side systems (more Sony, Microsoft, 3DO, Atari, Turbo Duo, and my old component switch - which has been swapped out since it was defective, which you can see in the pics below)

Right side panel view (top is the rear compartment thermal display, power switches control the fan rows and the LEDs, bottom fan panel is to vent the rear compartment - these only kick on when the thermal controller detects a specified temp back there)

And the left side panel, just the other vent fans.  The right side blows in cool air and this side vents out hot air.

And here's the unit all lit up with all of the blackout window shades closed (this pic doesn't really do it justice because the iPhone camera sucks in low light)

My Connected Systems

And here are the systems (While I have multiple versions, variants, etc of many of these I only have one of each system type in the cabinet).  I have room for some expansion here as I still want to get a NeoGeo AES and a few other goodies.  Everything here is ready to play at a moment's notice and entirely configured with my Amazon Echo (including the cabinet lighting and fans) --  "Alexa, trigger GameCube" and I'm up and running on GC and ready to rock.

Atari 2600 Woodgrain - I'm planning on modding this with the new RGB mod that Tim Worthington developed, so this isn't actually hooked up until I do that.

Atari SpaceToilet... er... Jaguar/JagCD - This has the CatBox attachment and a custom RGB coaxial cable for the CatBox that Retro Console Accessories made for me.  Routed through the Framemeister for upscaling.

Nintendo NES - I've modded this with a new Blinking Light Win 72-pin connector and tray and the HiDefNES HDMI board from Kevtris - the HiDefNES is gorgeous, I highly recommend it.

SNES Mini - This is modded for RGB and routed through the Framemeister with a coax RGB SCART cable from Retro Console Accessories.

N64 - This is modded with the UltraHDMI board from RetroActive - like the HiDefNES, this looks stunning with the UltraHDMI.

GameCube & GameBoy Player - This is routed through the Framemeister via the official Nintendo Component Cables.

Wii U

DS and Virtual Boy (sadly, the cabinet doesn't give me any places to really display the VB properly with its stand, it's just too tall and I didn't want to make the cabinet any taller - it's already 4 feet tall as it is).  On the shelf above them you can see my Harmony Ultimate hub, which is how I automate all of the switching via Alexa and IFTTT.

Sega Tower of Babel... Genesis/CD/32X - In order to cut down on outlet use, these are all powered with the fantastic Sega Trio from Retro Game Cave.   Routed through the Framemeister via RGB SCART coax from RCA.

Sega Saturn - Routed through the Framemeister with RGB SCART coax from RCA.   I'm really looking forward to the Optical Drive Emulator device from Dr. Abrasive so I can hook a USB hard drive to this baby.

Sega Dreamcast - As you can sort of see in the first pic, this is connected via a Toro VGA/RGB box, then via an RGB SCART coax to the Framemeister.  I've also modded this DC with the USB-GDROM from Mnemo (which you can see in pic 2).

OG Xbox - Right now I have the Mt. Dew system hooked up, but it looks kind of funky as the only off-color console in the cabinet, so I've actually swapped it out for my standard one.  Routed through the Framemeister via Monster component cables.   My standard Xbox has 2TB hard drive installed (via IDE-to-SATA board), running XBMC.

Xbox 360 Slim

Xbox One fat

PS1 - Routed through the Framemeister via RGB SCART Coax from RCA  (I apparently took this pic before actually plugging it in, you can see the scart cable dangling in the grommet in back)

PS2 fat - routed through the Framemeister via Monster component cables.  Running Free McBoot.  1TB SATA 2.5" SSD installed via the Network Adaptor and an IDE-to-SATA board.

PS3 - backward-compatible launch model

PS4 

PSP, PS Vita, and PS TV - I'm not really a fan of playing on handhelds, but I tend to love the handheld libraries.  So I've got PSP component cables that are routed to the Framemeister so I can play on the TV and a PSTV for my Vita games (the PS TV is tucked behind the Vita itself so you can't see it in this pic).

Panasonic 3DO FZ-10 - This has two mods installed in it - Otaku's RGB mod and Mnemo's USB mod (the latter of which you can see in pic 2).  Routed through Framemeister via RGB SCART (I haven't upgraded this SCART to a coax from RCA just yet).

Turbo Duo - I've replaced all of the crappy original NEC capacitors and installed the RGB mod in this one.  Routed through Framemeister via RGB SCART coax from RCA.

And finally, here is my XRGB-Mini Framemeister as well as the professional Inday switches that route the component cables and audio for the non RGB SCART stuff going to the Framemeister (all the SCART connections run through two Bandridge 5-way SCART auto-selectors in the rear compartment).

Absolutely awesome work!  That's a type of setup I'd wish to have in my man cave (someday, when it's house buying time). 

Can the LED's be turned off?  How long was the project, start to finish?

I'll have to look into the Saturn mod you were talking about; I love my Saturns.

What SATA-IDE adapter did you use in the Xbox?  I never considered one of those as an option.  Back in the day, I think 500GB was the maximum drive size (but when we were all still using the IDE drives).  I may have to adjust my softmod to get a bigger drive in there!

A while back I mentioned that I was in the process of building a custom cabinet for my game consoles. Well, it's finally done and all set up. I took a bunch of pics along the way and figured I'd share.

The cabinet is made up of four parts: the main body is broken into individual left and right pieces in order to make transportation possible (the whole thing weighs over 400 pounds), a top counter, and a bottom kickguard/skirt.

The unit has 30 individual front compartments to hold individual game consoles as well as my AV receiver and Framemeister. Each compartment has a fan to produce air flow to safeguard against overheating.

There is a hidden rear compartment that houses all of the AV wiring, electrical (48 mounted outlets via a pair of workbench strips), and gigabit networking. The rear compartment is also cooled with a temperature-sensing fan system. I realized while typing this up that I didn't get a good pic of the rear compartment after everything was connected (just during the earlier stages of the build process).

The exterior has a cherry finish that matches my Mt. Vernon Cherry Polk LSiM speakers (although the lighting in the pics doesn't make it look like they match for some reason). The interior of the compartments is white so that it reacts with the blue LED lighting.

There are a TON of pictures here, so I'm popping them in spoiler tags so as to not clutter up the whole page.

On to the pics (click for high res):
This is so awesome on so many levels...

Thanks. :)  I'm pretty thrilled with how it turned out.   It had been something on my "one day I'm going to..." list for years and I finally decided to just make it happen.

I spent about a month planning the unit out - collecting system measurements, figuring out the best alignment and use of space based on the differing system sizes, figuring out all of the lighting/cooling/electrical components, etc.  

Then I found a cabinet maker on Thumbtack to do all of the woodwork (I'm comfortable working with wiring and electrical/networking/etc, but I'm certainly not a builder of any sort).  He had some very helpful tweaks to my design (the two-unit construction, the grommets, the heavy-duty casters, etc).   He was pretty backed up with kitchen work most of the summer, so I was in his waiting queue for a few months.  Once he started the woodwork, that portion was completed in a couple weeks (various stopping points for me to get down to the wood shop to make sure fan holes, grommet holes, stain color, etc were all spot-on).

Then I spent an entire weekend in his shop doing all of the wiring work once the build was complete.   Mounting fans, mounting lighting, running power cables for everything, etc.

All in all, including all of the down-time, it was about 6 months from first planning work to completion.

---

The Saturn mod isn't in production yet.  Dr. Abrasive just cracked the Saturn recently and developed the prototype for a USB connection (via the system's rear I/O port, somewhat like the PSIO).   My guess is they won't be available for order until early next year.   Here's a link to the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOyfZex7B3E

---

I'm actually using the same IDE-to-SATA adapter in both my PS2 and Xbox - it's this one from Startech.  In the Xbox, that's all you really need.  The maximum hard drive the OG Xbox can use reliably is a 2TB.

The PS2 setup has an extra component in it (only because of the alignment of the IDE port and the hard drive bay).  I have an IDE extender card (this one), which just serves to essentially "flip" the IDE port in the Network Adaptor upside down so that the 2.5" SATA drive is sitting nicely on the expansion bay floor.   I went with a card instead of just using an IDE ribbon so that the drive is hard-mounted inside instead of sliding around.   The maximum size hard drive the PS2 can use reliably is only 1TB (I'm not sure if this is a PS2 file system limitation or a software limitation with OPL).

Looks awesome. I put a bunch of blue LEDs in my computer case when I built it a few years ago. Sometimes I think it is awesome other times I turn them off because it gets distracting when watching a movie.

I keep trying to figure out what to do in my empty rooms. I have a small one that is like office sized and a bigger bedroom. I keep planning on putting another TV and making the extra bedroom something but I either hang out in my living room or my other extra bedroom (which I made into a computer room/eBay room/whatever else)

When I bought the place I never thought about having too much space - now I'm still trying to figure out what to put in it.

Haven't posted my collection since I moved into my new place almost two years ago. I thought you guys might enjoy. General orientation of the room and pics will be in a clockwise order from the door (if that makes sense).

Entryway from left side.

Same entryway from right side.

Same shelves from inside the room.

Closet. Doors are normally closed to hide this mess.

SNES and N64.

Anime, Turbo, random shelf/soundtracks, and trade pile corner

PS2, PSP, Dreamcast, and PC

Amiibo, Xbox, boxed NES and Gameboy family, Wii U

figure shelf 1

Random collections, DS, Zelda shrine. 

figure shelf 2

Playstation and 3DS

Downstairs where we play games. Also fat cats.

---

I'm actually using the same IDE-to-SATA adapter in both my PS2 and Xbox - it's this one from Startech. In the Xbox, that's all you really need. The maximum hard drive the OG Xbox can use reliably is a 2TB.

The PS2 setup has an extra component in it (only because of the alignment of the IDE port and the hard drive bay). I have an IDE extender card (this one), which just serves to essentially "flip" the IDE port in the Network Adaptor upside down so that the 2.5" SATA drive is sitting nicely on the expansion bay floor. I went with a card instead of just using an IDE ribbon so that the drive is hard-mounted inside instead of sliding around. The maximum size hard drive the PS2 can use reliably is only 1TB (I'm not sure if this is a PS2 file system limitation or a software limitation with OPL).
Thanks I was about to ask which adapter you used since I remembered I used to have an old ps2 with a HDD adapter but it has been years feel like trying this simple mod again

Why are Gamecube component cables selling for $300 when you can get the same experience using a Wii with BC?  Is it because of the Gameboy Player or do people want it just because it is rare?  

Sorry for the O/T...

Probably a bit of both.
I want them, and I have a Wii with component.

Also, I think it's just part of that collector mentality. I know that my Gamecube, when plugged in, isn't as good as it could be...

Weird, but that's just how it goes for me. Always hope I will come across a pair someday for cheap. (Hahahahaha.)

I can see that. Not being as good as it can be is what stops me from selling mine. $300 is pretty tempting though.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

I'm not 100% sure but I thought there was a difference between GC games running on a GC using comp cables vs Wii using comp cables, hence why people pay hundreds of dollars for them? I remember asking the same thing and I think there's a site that compared the two and the GC w/ comp cables were marginally better. 

I remember the reason I bought them: Resident Evil 4. I was super hyped for that game, even though I am a complete puss when it comes to horror games, and was blown away by how good it looked. I dropped the $45 on the cables on Nintendo's online store after a few hours of the but by the time the cables came, I already beat the game. It was cool seeing some other games in pro-scan but I actually never used mine too much. Never thought they be worth as much as they are... 

I remember how good games looked when I got those cables. It was the same when I got the VGA box for the Dreamcast. I couldn't believe consoles could look that nice.

Also, I think it's just part of that collector mentality. I know that my Gamecube, when plugged in, isn't as good as it could be...
I think that is the biggest part. You can google online and the general consensus seems to be that the gamecube looks slightly better. Like here is a hardcore analysis http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=51789&sid=c212f7010e3e85b70b8e371b5c9216e7&start=30

The fact that it looks so slightly better means that probably 98% of people wouldn't be able to tell the difference sitting back on their couch 7 feet away from the TV.

For me, personally, I went the GameCube+component route for two reasons - 1) the GB player, and 2) cabinet space efficiency.

Re: Point 1 - I love the games that come out for handheld systems (because I'm a big JRPG fan and there tend to be pretty prevalent on handhelds), but I really hate playing games on a tiny little screen. I play my GB/GBC/GBA games exclusively via the GB Player.

Re: Point 2 - While I have a GC, Wii, and Wii U, I'd rather only hook up the GC and the Wii U while leaving my Wii in the box on a shelf. The combination of a Component GameCube and an HDMI Wii U effectively gives me the best video output possible for four systems - GC, Wii, Wii U, and GBx.

But then, when I picked up my GC component cable (only within the last year) it only cost me about $80 (got it as part of an eBay lot with a system, carrying case, a few controllers, memory cards, and a dozen or so games).

I'd like to think I'd pass on it if the thing was $300, but then I think of the money I have put into various mods (Hi-DefNES, SNES RGB, UltraHDMI, 3DO RGB, TurboDuo RGB, etc), cables (custom coaxial RGBSCART for basically everything that isn't component or HDMI), switches, etc to get my setup how I have it and then I realize I'd probably cave and buy the cable in the end after all. :|

I'd like to think I'd pass on it if the thing was $300, but then I think of the money I have put into various mods (Hi-DefNES, SNES RGB, UltraHDMI, 3DO RGB, TurboDuo RGB, etc), cables (custom coaxial RGBSCART for basically everything that isn't component or HDMI), switches, etc to get my setup how I have it and then I realize I'd probably cave and buy the cable in the end after all. :|
I'd wager there is gonna be a HDMI mod for the GC sooner or later... hell, there might already be one. Would probably be cheaper to buy a modded system than buy GC component cables.

I never knew older systems could be modded, until I saw a NES Toploader with composite. I wish I was good with electronics/soldering so I could do of that stuff.

EDIT* Just searched... yep, GC has HDMI mods already. Looks amazing...

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/01/hardware_review_we_look_at_a_definitive_gamecube_hdmi_mod

Oh damn - i don't have the GC anymore, but might still have the component cable.

*Edit* Sold it in 2006 for $50. Oh well.

Nice find on that GC HDMI mod Vinny, I hadn't seen that one yet. I might have to give that mod a try and compare it to the Component.

I'm loving the NES and N64 HDMI mods.

I've read that a true HDMI mod isn't possible on the SNES for some reason (which I don't fully understand - I would think that if a native RGB mod is possible, then an HDMI mod for it should be as well).

I had hoped the HDMI mods for GC would actually bring he price down on the component cables. I like playing on my old Trinitron, so component is the best it can do.

So far, it hasn't happened yet.

I had hoped the HDMI mods for GC would actually bring he price down on the component cables. I like playing on my old Trinitron, so component is the best it can do.

So far, it hasn't happened yet.
I'm surprised someone hasn't just been able to duplicate the component cables. I know there's some special chip in there or whatever, but still, you'd think someone could figure it out.

In either case, it's a collectible Nintnedo item. I don't see it dropping unless Nintendo decides to make more. Even if there was a third party made cable that was as good as the original, I don't think the original would drop.

I'm surprised someone hasn't just been able to duplicate the component cables. I know there's some special chip in there or whatever, but still, you'd think someone could figure it out.

In either case, it's a collectible Nintnedo item. I don't see it dropping unless Nintendo decides to make more. Even if there was a third party made cable that was as good as the original, I don't think the original would drop.
There was a generic Gamestop one though?

I don't think there's been a third-party GameCube component cable. I think some of those universal ones don't actually use the component?

I don't think there's been a third-party GameCube component cable. I think some of those universal ones don't actually use the component?
Correct. There is no generic GC component cables.

A lot of companies release "multi-system" component cables that would work as component for PS2/XB but only composite/s-vid for GC.

Here's a page I found with a bit more info. Sony and MS had 1 port for the PS2/XB for all outputs, with a chip built in to handle any conversion (the digital video output by systems had to be converted to display on analog inputs like composite, s-vid and component). Nintendo did not... Nintendo had one port for analog out (composite/s-video) and then a separate digital out to cut costs (no chip needed). Instead, the chip itself was included on the cables, so Nintendo could save on the system and pass the costs on to the cables themselves.

http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=av:gamecube_rgb

I had a chance a couple of years ago to grab GC Component Cables for $80. Reeeaaally wish I had gone for it, but I couldn't justify the cost what with already having the Wii Component Cable.

This happened,

image_46.jpg

Bought new house, packed it all up.  I guess new shelves are in order, though I did take the ol' Super Mushroom drawer pull that I made years ago to the new house O:)

Only been at the new house for about a month, so we still have a ton of setup and whatnot to do, but eventually I'm going to build something really nice to house all the loot.  The good news is that the house is about 2.5x the size with a 2,000 square foot garage that we're turning into the new home of RCG, so my commute to work will be a tad shorter.  Not to mention all of that equipment being at my disposal on the property.  Gonna be  killer when it's all done.

This happened,

image_46.jpg

Bought new house, packed it all up. I guess new shelves are in order, though I did take the ol' Super Mushroom drawer pull that I made years ago to the new house O:)

Only been at the new house for about a month, so we still have a ton of setup and whatnot to do, but eventually I'm going to build something really nice to house all the loot. The good news is that the house is about 2.5x the size with a 2,000 square foot garage that we're turning into the new home of RCG, so my commute to work will be a tad shorter. Not to mention all of that equipment being at my disposal on the property. Gonna be killer when it's all done.
Thought you got robbed there for a second... glad to see that's not the case, b/c I planned on robbing you.

j/k Congrats, on the new place. I still haven't unpacked at my new place... or brought over everything from my parent's place.:lol:

Ha, I saw the fan on the floor and thought someone else's gaming area got flooded. Glad that's not the case!
Luckily I live in Cleveland, so flooding isn't too much of a concern. The collection is going to end up on the first and second floors of the new house, so it's even less now :)

Thought you got robbed there for a second... glad to see that's not the case, b/c I planned on robbing you.

j/k Congrats, on the new place. I still haven't unpacked at my new place... or brought over everything from my parent's place.:lol:
Haha! Thanks!

Unpacking blows. Good luck!

Speaking of floods and getting robbed, does anyone here have their collection insured?  Basic homeowners insurance does not cover collections or items of high value.  I learned this the hard way when part of my coin collection was stolen.

Speaking of floods and getting robbed, does anyone here have their collection insured? Basic homeowners insurance does not cover collections or items of high value. I learned this the hard way when part of my coin collection was stolen.
I mentioned it to my insurance company and they said it would be covered under personal property. Just gotta keep evidence of everything show how (meaning receipts or pictures). But really, it would be a huge pain to value so many games fairly. I'm sure they'd lowball the hell out of it.

I think I saw something about this on Racketboy way back when... games as a collectible are a bit easier to get insured for b/c there's less variables on a game's value (as most of a game's value is based on it's functionality- if it doesn't work, it's worthless) vs stuff like old comics, coins, etc wherein most of its value is based on condition. Something like a car is 50/50, wherein a collectible car that doesn't work still might have significant value b/c it's individual parts still have value (good condition/original seats, body, engine).

I mentioned it to my insurance company and they said it would be covered under personal property. Just gotta keep evidence of everything show how (meaning receipts or pictures). But really, it would be a huge pain to value so many games fairly. I'm sure they'd lowball the hell out of it.

I think I saw something about this on Racketboy way back when... games as a collectible are a bit easier to get insured for b/c there's less variables on a game's value (as most of a game's value is based on it's functionality- if it doesn't work, it's worthless) vs stuff like old comics, coins, etc wherein most of its value is based on condition. Something like a car is 50/50, wherein a collectible car that doesn't work still might have significant value b/c it's individual parts still have value (good condition/original seats, body, engine).
I was told I would need additional insurance for collections. As for my currency collection, I had over $1,300.00 FACE VALUE in old star notes, silver coins, etc. stolen and they said they could only cover $300 because that's all the policy would cover for cash stolen. I needed an additional policy for collectible currency.

They may not think of video games as having much value. I know I would be pissed if they tried giving me $300 for my gaming collection when just one game is $300.

bread's done
Back