Your favorite Christmas movie?

squeezymeat

CAGiversary!
The idea to make this post hit me like hot stink in the summer time (i just made that up). Im stalking the forums as usual with my tv blaring in the background. Guess what's on? The Grinch that Stole Christmas (the cartoon original)!!!!!!!!! :bouncy: . Anywho to the point... What Christmas movie completes your holiday?

[quote name='mtxbass1']A Christmas Story. I can watch that movie for days.[/QUOTE]

Christmas begins and ends with this movie. Nothing else is necessary. Unless you count Requiem for a Dream, which is really the greatest xmas movie of all time :lol:

B0000BWVAK.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

[quote name='Greetard']Nightmare Before Christmas. Tim Burton's the man.[/quote]

True dat.. Makes me wonder if Sweeney Todd is going to be any good. Comes out on Christmas (for those who don't know)

[quote name='squeezymeat']True dat.. Makes me wonder if Sweeney Todd is going to be any good. Comes out on Christmas (for those who don't know)[/QUOTE]
It's actually out on the 21st.

A Christmas Story is probably my favorite too. RIP Daren McGavin (the old man) who passed away two years ago, I believe. I read a very nice story about him during his last few years. He was very good at writing back each and every fan, and it was noted that he used to ask everyone to send pictures of themselves of themselves and their family so that he could know whom he was writing back.

I love the line to see Santa, "Um... don't bother me.. I'm thinking."

A Christmas Story or Elf. Bad Santa is pretty funny as well.

Where's the annual "best Christmas song" thread so I can help endear more folks to the Pogues "Fairytale of New York"?

The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus or Jack Frost (Any Rankin-Bass is usually excellent).

Christmas Story, Rudolph, Grinch and Frosty are all good too.

Die hard is def. my all-time favorite, followed by National Lampoons Christmas Vacation. I've watched those @ christmas every year for as long as I can remember. Another new favorite xmas movie is "Love Actually"....

I always have to watch Christmas Vacation and A Christmas Story at least once every Christmas Break. And while I don't consider Die Hard a christmas movie, for those who do, it is tied with the other two.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Love, Actually.[/QUOTE]

Love Actually is a great, great movie. Current gf forced me to watch it and I have to say I really enjoyed it. Lots of great lines and situations. The guy that goes to America subplot I think is completely worthless though, but eh.

I'd also put it on the "Chick Flicks Guys Can Enjoy Too" list.

[quote name='DJSteel']Scrooged[/QUOTE]

Oh good god. Another person who knows about this movie. My ex had a big thing for it. I didn't care for it, didn't think it was terrible. Just thought it was a little kooky from what I remember.

In fact, I'd say it was one of the stranger Christmas movies I'd seen, until I saw whatever the hell what shit is with John Lithgow and ...Dudley Moore? And he makes a lollipop? I don't know what it is, but that shit was insane.

[quote name='Strell']Love Actually is a great, great movie. Current gf forced me to watch it and I have to say I really enjoyed it. Lots of great lines and situations. The guy that goes to America subplot I think is completely worthless though, but eh.[/QUOTE]

I just watched that the other night, and got the feeling that a lot of Colin's story (I think that's his name) was left on the cutting room floor. I did have a not-very-chick-flick mentality when watching it, thinking "when are those girls going to tear out his kidneys and sell them on the black market?"

It is very good overall, made damned good solely on the merit of Bill Nighy alone.

That's exactly how I felt. Here's all these tiny stories all meant to convey a greater sense of the emotion, and then there's one dude totally in it for the Red Bull/Axe Spray nonsense.

I mean I could have bought it if he'd found a nice girl and they sort of have a date or something. Not this MTV Tila Tequila hogwash.

But eh.

And yes, Nighy was excellent.

"You tease!"

Not much new to add except for Planes, Trains, and Automobiles (which technically takes place at Thanksgiving, but I usually get the itch to watch it around Christmas).

Also:
Scrooged
Nightmare Before Christmas
Die Hard / Die Hard 2

I recently scored A Wish For Wings That Work on DVD at Walmart...if you've never seen it, it's a weird little Christmas tale starring Opus and Bill from Bloom County. It hasn't aged well, but it brought a smile to my face.

"Now I have a machine gun... ho... ho.... ho...."

Hans-gruber.jpg

"Oh god noooo.. please don't shoot...."

"Billlll Clay...."

You know it's Christmas when you can see "A Christmas Story" for 24 hours straight on TNT.

I just can't stop seeing that movie when it's on.

Speaking of A Christmas Story, wasn't there a second (or was it a first?) film that also involved the same characters? I seem to recall one where the family went to a world's fair with Ralphie playing with a top, a fishing trip with his dad, and a plotline of trying to get back at the Bumpuses (sp). Or am I imagining things?

I always watch "Muppet's Family Christmas" which I think was a made for TV movie. It includes all the Muppet Show Muppets, Sesame Street, and Fraggle Rock. Also a cameo by the man himself, Jim Henson.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Speaking of A Christmas Story, wasn't there a second (or was it a first?) film that also involved the same characters? I seem to recall one where the family went to a world's fair with Ralphie playing with a top, a fishing trip with his dad, and a plotline of trying to get back at the Bumpuses (sp). Or am I imagining things?[/QUOTE]

Please don't let that be the truth. I've seen "Shock Treatment," I've seen "Staying Alive." I don't need any more horror in my life.

[quote name='soonersfan60']Year Without a Santa Claus.

The Miser Bros. always crack me up, and some great Christmas tunes in it to boot.[/QUOTE]

Heh. I was a sous chef years ago, back when I was a spry young deviant - I always had my hair dyed bright red and spiked out. One of the servers always referred to me as "Mr. Heatmiser." I've never been too fond of nicknames, but always dug that one.

Last but not least, let me add "Santa Claus Conquers the Martians." Got it in the cheap-o $1 slimline DVD rack at Target the other day. Beats the fuck out of watching it on YouTube, and worth it for the theme song alone.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Speaking of A Christmas Story, wasn't there a second (or was it a first?) film that also involved the same characters? I seem to recall one where the family went to a world's fair with Ralphie playing with a top, a fishing trip with his dad, and a plotline of trying to get back at the Bumpuses (sp). Or am I imagining things?[/quote]

Better known as My Summer Story...and don't bother.

Suprised nobody has mentioned The Ref yet. So many xmas classics, but Ralphie reigns supreme.

bread's done
Back