Your GOTY so far

Rodimus

CAGiversary!
Feedback
183 (100%)
It's mid year so I was curious what everyone's Game of the Year is so far? BTW the game must have launched in 09'.

For me it's a tough choice because while I've played tons of games I liked (and even a few surprises) I've yet to play anything that blew me away. I guess it would be Skate 2. It really imporved on the formula of the first and I just had a blast doing all the challenges and just free skating around. Tons of replay value and a good bang for my buck. I still play it to this day and I've done everything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it came out at the end of November 2008 but, I'd have to say the WoW expansion Wrath of the Lich King. It's the only game I got a lot of enjoyment out of this whole year so far.
If that doesn't count, then I'd say nothing so far has made me say 'wow, what an awesome game' :(

1. Killzone 2
2. inFamous
3. Resident Evil 5

Honestly though, there hasn't been much in the first half of this year. Killzone 2 is easily head and shoulders above anything else simply because the online mode was so much damn fun.

Prototype for it's great gameplay and mass amounts of moves and actually being one of the few games in the past few years that got BETTER as it went along.

I was expecting more love for inFamous. For me, it's most definitely inFamous. It's the first game I wasn't able to set down in 6+ months.

I would have to say Infamous. I am really enjoying the game. The twist at the end was pretty well done as well. Had a much better executed story than I expected. You just needed some way to get to the top of tall buildings faster than climbing, or the ability to fly. I am about halfway through my evil play through and I am still enjoying it greatly.

If Chrono Trigger released this year I would say that is number 2. JRPGs get on my nerves sometimes, but Chrono Trigger is fantastic. And the 1st episode of Tales of Monkey Island was pretty great as well.

That being said I have mostly been playing backlog console and pc games so far this year and haven't played a lot of new ones. So no Killzone 2 or Overlord 2 to sway my vote yet. Oh and go play Web of Shadows, that game is simply fun to play. The combat mechanics and freedom of movement are just plain enjoyable. It has a fun story as well. Just a fun game that should have had 3 months more polish and been released in January and would have done huge numbers. That is a lot of funs, but I don't know how else to describe that game. I had a grin on my face the whole time.

This fall is insanely loaded though: Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age: Origins PC, Champions Online, Starcraft 2 (maybe), Modern Warfare 2, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2, Uncharted 2, Heavy Rain and something I am sure I am forgetting on 360. I am sure the GOTY will come from there.

I'll go with Infamous with a very close second to Red Faction. Could be Street Fighter IV if I was a bigger fan of fighting games though.

I fully expect Scribblenauts to be a viable contender!

Just been catching up on games from 2008 and 2007; only game I played (not including demos/betas) that launched in 2009 was Killzone 2 and that was a regret.

I'm gonna say Street Fighter IV, since it's the most played game for me this year (game that was released in 09). I haven't played much this year (new releases for 2009) after thinking about it....

The 2009-released games I've played/enjoyed most this year are kind of surprising:

Peggle (XBLA)
Red Faction: Guerrilla (360)
Retro Game Challenge (DS)

I have yet to play iNFAMOUS, GTA DS or Prototype; barely touched RE5; and wasn't into Killzone 2 or SF IV. And I used to be a reviewer! Didn't take long to get out of touch. That's what happens when you're so busy making games. I also blame the time I've logged in with Lost Odyssey, which is just awesome.

RPG: Phantasy Star Portable
Fighter: SFIV ( Yes over all I think its better than BB )
Action: I have high hopes for Darksiders

Last edited by a moderator:
My current GOTY: Street Fighter IV

Contenders (games I'm in the middle of or have yet to play that I believe will be great): Red Faction: Guerrilla, BlazBlue, Dragon Quest V, Trine

After thinking about it for a bit I realized that I really haven't played many games this year... I enjoyed RE5 but it didn't blow me away or anything. I need to step it up.

Out of the handful of 2009 releases I've played, easily Knights in the Nightmare. First playthrough barely scratched the surface of what can be done in the game, so it'll stay in my collection for some time.

re5.
i had so much fun playing co-op in that game.

and i keep coming back to fallout 3 for the dlc which i've really enjoyed so far, especially point lookout.

have yet to play infamous/redfaction/prototype

blazblue, havent had that much fun with a fighter since mvc2, cvs2 and tekken 5, in terms of depth it is much better then sf4 by a longshot even tho it has a small roster

[quote name='Moxio']Nothing. I'm waiting for MW2.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. MW2 is gonna be GOTY for sure.

However, in the time being I would say Red Faction: Guerrilla is my favorite game of the year.

Wow, I really need to get on inFamous. I haven't gotten to a lot of the top 2009 games yet due to backlog concerns. I might have to go with MLB09 The Show, though I'm really digging Prototype so far as well.

I'm pretty sure the only thing I've played that was released in 2009 is Resident Evil 5. It was pretty fun, so I guess I'd pick that as my GOTY rather than abstaining.

I haven't played any new 2009 games for 360 and I do not have a PS3....yet. I am too bust catching up on the old (aka cheap) ones.

BUT I would have to say Knights in the Nightmare (NDS) is pretty amazing although I haven't found the time to finish it yet.

I should not admit this but I have also been enjoying Super robot taisen OG saga Endless Frontier (whew mouthful). I thought it was going to be just comically bad but it is turning out to be a nice little RPG with a battle system similiar to Valkyrie Profile.

A few days ago I would've gone with Wolverine but now I have to say Red Faction. I think the only thing that has a chance to change that is Modern Warfare 2.

[quote name='Maklershed']A few days ago I would've gone with Wolverine but now I have to say Red Faction. I think the only thing that has a chance to change that is Modern Warfare 2.[/QUOTE]
Uncharted 2!?

bread's done
Back