Your ideal Video Game Store

MiNuN

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Lets hear it! But I will start off :applause:-

I wish for a Video Game Store that has employees that actually knows what is going on in the Video Game industry, and knows when to say " I do not know" in a acceptable way instead of providing false information & assumptions.

Background story behind this: I went to EBgames when the integrated motion plus Wii Remotes came out. The store only had White & Black, so I asked when they will be receiving Blue & Pink?

His response was "I doubt there is any, I do not think they will be made, usually colours are made for holidays, we will probably carry the red ones since the 25th Anniversary Mario Wii Console just came out". He said it like he knew everything so I honestly thought "Is this what this motherf**ker tells clueless people who does not know about video games?"

I wish I could go back and say IN YOUR FACE, I see blue & pink right there! and no such thing as Red! But thats retarded =P:bouncy:

If all the employees were these guys,

bunny_pancake.jpg

A store that uses display boxes for all games so there is no need to gut the actual games, not accepting any games that have more than a few scratches on the disc, and has a selection of older games (NES and later) and gives a decent amount of credit for trade ins (like $4 - $5 for a game they would sell for $10).

A Purell dispenser to combat all of the germs being passed along by the community controllers at the gaming kiosks.

I also hear it's delicious! ;)
dricker_purell.jpg

:lol:

A game store that has different prices for disc only, disc with manual, disc with case and complete game with everything. At the very least a disc only game or cartridge only game should be priced at less than a full complete copy. As far as I know in Japan its the norm to price games based on this method, why it is not done here I do not know. If the store doesn't price disc only cheaper than a complete game then they should not take incomplete games in at all.

I will thank anyone that ha serious answers, I am going to turn this in to a personal research, so I appreciate your answers!

[quote name='MiNuN']I will thank anyone that ha serious answers, I am going to turn this in to a personal research, so I appreciate your answers![/QUOTE]

Are you telling me if all the employees were rabbits with pancakes on their heads, you would not want to shop there?

You're crazy!

[quote name='Squarehard']Are you telling me if all the employees were rabbits with pancakes on their heads, you would not want to shop there?

You're crazy![/QUOTE]

Maybe as a store pet, but definitely not as employees o_O

[quote name='SaraAB']A game store that has different prices for disc only, disc with manual, disc with case and complete game with everything. At the very least a disc only game or cartridge only game should be priced at less than a full complete copy. As far as I know in Japan its the norm to price games based on this method, why it is not done here I do not know. If the store doesn't price disc only cheaper than a complete game then they should not take incomplete games in at all.[/QUOTE]

I second the tiered prices idea, even if the complete game was priced at $30 and the disc-only was $25 it would help move the incompletes and make the store stock look better overall.

[quote name='MiNuN']Maybe as a store pet, but definitely not as employees o_O[/QUOTE]

What if you got the bunny with every $20 and above purchase?

Personally, I would love to have a store run by myself and other CAGs that I am friends with.
We know we can trust each other, so there would never be the issue of employee theft. I would look forward to going to "work" each day where 75% of the time is spent discussing a subject I truly enjoy. Even during the actual work portion, you still have people that you enjoy being around to keep you company.
That would be sweet.

Instead, the last time I was at a shop in the U.S. I bought some used games and the guy started tucking them into the cases without letting me see the disks themselves. He kind of rolled his eyes and said "All our disks are in working condition and, if there was a problem you can return them within # days." I stated that I live in Japan and that returning them was not an option, to which I received another eyeroll along with a sigh as he pulled the disks out to show me.

I ended up passing on two of them.

Anyway, to make my point, not only did he not care about another gamer or their standards, he didn't even seem to care about the games themselves as if they were unimportant.

I would want to be in a shop where every single person there cares about their coworkers the product, the service and the customers.

Tiered pricing is nice but realistically the only way a store can stay in business is with low trade in prices.

With games dropping in price, sitting on shelves etc its either low trade in prices, or they refuse trade in of the game if they have several copies already.

The way Toys R Us used to sell games with a ticket system. There was a picture of the game case art on front and the back art on a reversible card. A number of tickets/copies were available to purchase below the game case art card.

This would work, especially for used games that could be stored in back. Disc only or manual only would be indicated. Or maybe like FuncoLand used to do with the newspaper printout of used prices.

I also think plastic prisons like Target has now would be fine for new games, where there was one or two copies on the floor tethered to something. Maybe printed case art would work on generic cases to advertise new games like many other retailers do now.

None of these ideas are original just take what people have complained about.

Don't use gutted cases for new games in order to advertise a game. Don't let employees take new games home to test and sell it as new. Don't force employees to push pre-orders when there is no bonus incentive from pre-ordering a game.

If you're going to use stickers don't put it on the actual paper/cardboard case art that it is printed on or on the disc/cartridge art itself. Saw a collector's editions of Assassin's Creed Brotherhood with torn/slashed Best Buy stickers. Looked more like X-men's Wolverine used his claws on the price sticker.

Customers need to take care of their games and should be rewarded for trading in mint condition games.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Brian9824']Tiered pricing is nice but realistically the only way a store can stay in business is with low trade in prices.

With games dropping in price, sitting on shelves etc its either low trade in prices, or they refuse trade in of the game if they have several copies already.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Thank you.

I would add self serving checkout/kiosk machines were you could buy new games,merchandise and preorder games.All used games on the floor will have a plastic security seal and will also have the price on the item.

[quote name='mrx001']I would add self serving checkout/kiosk machines were you could buy new games,merchandise and preorder games.All used games on the floor will have a plastic security seal and will also have the price on the item.[/QUOTE]
This will never happen. Even at a place like Wal-Mart, where they have self checkout lanes, you can't purchase video games through them.

As for the store ideas, I'm in with those who said staff who care/know about the industry, pre orders and other deals(game guard insurance, warranties, memberships) are available but not pushed too hard, and there is a respectable standard for used games.

I don't think that's too much to ask

The trade in prices would reflect the condition of the item as well as the final selling price, aka each item would be priced individually. A very scratched, disc only game would sell for less than a mint complete copy, and the trade in value would also be reflected.

I don't think trade in prices could get any lower than Gamestop, if a store was to beat Gamestop's trade in's by even a dollar or 2 especially if they pay cash then I think they would be able to steal their business provided the store had decent inventory. There is also the huge advantage of an indie store being able to accept whatever they want for trade, Gamestop only takes newer stuff in for trade.

I don't see how its so hard, all the fleamarket booths do this, though some of their pricing is out of whack, but at least the pricing reflects the condition of the item, and some of the booths do not take scratched or incomplete games at all. The booths I go to are basically like indie game stores.

For me? My ideal video game store would have Olivia Munn as 'customer service' in nothing more than heels, a skirt, a tight top, and a smile. So glad I got to see that on Chuck!

But seriously? I want to see more games from older consoles. Games that are in excellent condition and complete! And...Olivia Munn.

bread's done
Back