Your Thoughts on Stanley 'Tookie' Williams?

[quote name='Zoglog']OMG can they just kill this guy already? I just heard Snoop Dog's apkpeal to the Govenor and he was speaking all stupid ghetto talk and ebonics all the while taling about teaching children..... Real good influence there.[/quote]
When you become more gramatically proficient, then some of us might take your disregarding of negroes talking like negroes seriously. In the meantime, take some time to write coherently if you want to criticize the way people deliver their information. Jesus Christ.

[quote name='zoglog']Well Clemency was not granted so things are looking up.[/quote]
Okay, you and I don't agree...but get ready for the punchline...
[quote name='zoglog']Death Penalty solves nothing in my opinion in the big picture.[/QUOTE]
Normally, it doesn't bother me if people write something contradictory to another thing they wrote (I'm certainly capable of being accused of doing it). But in the NEXT GODDAMN SENTENCE!?!?!?! C'mon, kid, your parents would be ashamed of you.

[quote name='alonzomourning23']If he is providing a benefit then thats all that counts, and he has campaigned to keep kids away from gangs. Being one of the founders of the crips gives him credibility in that area. His own inner thoughts are secondary, especially since he won't be released either way. He is providing a benefit pure and simple. He could provide more (ie. by "snitching"), but considering what he is currently doing he's more beneficial alive. And there's always the small chance he could eventually tell some of what he knows about the gang, there's no chance if he's dead.

And besides, if rotting in prison is so much crueler then why not give this "sociopath" the cruelest treatment, ie. life in prison? You have no problem with speeding up executions (which would increase the amount executed and the amount wrongly executed) but when you have someone convicted of extremely violent crimes you use that to justify execution? Shouldn't that be used to justify life in prison, the one you describe as crueler?

But you know something camoor, I would rather die than spend 15 years on death row. But most would not. Due to the fact that trying to rush things will increase the amount of innocent people executed, and the fact that most do not want to die, there is no reason for such a thing. If someone on death row wants to die they can speed things up by not appealing and by doing nothing to push off the date. Most exhaust every channel they can to avoid the death penalty.

Personally I think everyone should be able to die if they truly want to, so I have no problem with death row inmates choosing to die. The problem is your system would kill those who do not want to die, and you'd increase the innocent people killed.[/QUOTE]

When there is no doubt about who committed the crime and they are sentenced to death, there should be absolutely no appeals. It should not be delayed. It should be done asap.

There is no doubt that he killed four people. ABSOLUTELY no doubt.

He is sentenced to death.

It shouldn't have taken more than a year.

I wonder if you would be this passive if this had happened to one of your family members? I know I wouldn't. If a murder was done out of cold intentions and is proven to be committed by someone without doubt, I'm for death the next day.

[quote name='mykevermin']When you become more gramatically proficient, then some of us might take your disregarding of negroes talking like negroes seriously. In the meantime, take some time to write coherently if you want to criticize the way people deliver their information. Jesus Christ.

Okay, you and I don't agree...but get ready for the punchline...

Normally, it doesn't bother me if people write something contradictory to another thing they wrote (I'm certainly capable of being accused of doing it). But in the NEXT GODDAMN SENTENCE!?!?!?! C'mon, kid, your parents would be ashamed of you.[/QUOTE]

no and no =p
there's a difference between msg board grammar posting and requesting clemency to the govenor. Context my friend... context.

And I feel more sorry for you and ashamed. Sounds like you're trying to stick personal ideals and moral values on other people. I don't see how i'm contradicting myself. I don't believe in the death penalty in terms of the death penalty itself. However in this particular instance where the guy is recruiting tons of annoying celebrities and proclaiming himself as a saint.... well yeah...

So before you start callin other people kid you should look in the mirror boy ;)

Who is he "recruiting" exactly? Also, why does celebrity endorsement allow you to bend your anti-death penalty stance? Shall I assume that you are against the death penalty in general, and in the instance of celebrity intervention, that becomes the catalyst for a person deserving to die at the hands of the state?

You're not very good at arguing, I'll have you know. While you had a minute point regarding context and grammar, your initial assertion comes across as trite based upon your poor grammar. If I disregard your ability to form a sentence, it remains trite due to your inability to tackle any of the issues Snoop Dogg brought forth; instead, you attacked his character and his delivery, and thought that sufficient to find his argument unsuitable. You may not be a "kid," but you certainly don't argue like an adult.

You know, I think Schwarzenegger should have had to give the news to his face that he was not granting him clemency.

[quote name='SkyGheNe']When there is no doubt about who committed the crime and they are sentenced to death, there should be absolutely no appeals. It should not be delayed. It should be done asap.

It shouldn't have taken more than a year.

I wonder if you would be this passive if this had happened to one of your family members? I know I wouldn't. If a murder was done out of cold intentions and is proven to be committed by someone without doubt, I'm for death the next day.[/QUOTE]

Define doubt.

[quote name='mykevermin']Who is he "recruiting" exactly? Also, why does celebrity endorsement allow you to bend your anti-death penalty stance? Shall I assume that you are against the death penalty in general, and in the instance of celebrity intervention, that becomes the catalyst for a person deserving to die at the hands of the state?

You're not very good at arguing, I'll have you know. While you had a minute point regarding context and grammar, your initial assertion comes across as trite based upon your poor grammar. If I disregard your ability to form a sentence, it remains trite due to your inability to tackle any of the issues Snoop Dogg brought forth; instead, you attacked his character and his delivery, and thought that sufficient to find his argument unsuitable. You may not be a "kid," but you certainly don't argue like an adult.[/QUOTE]

wow the kettle blows out nothing but hot steam. That was a long way of saying "I have no argument so i'll ask a series of useless questions and recycle my grammar argument"

Anyway a bunch of morons decided to goto the federal building near my work and protest. Why the federal building for a state matter durr? It's people like this that make me want to help execute that guy =p.

People like 50 cent, Snoop dog, and this guy make me sick. They only help the man keep them down =p Well either way he's probably gonna die so no point in arguing really

[quote name='RedvsBlue']You know, I think Schwarzenegger should have had to give the news to his face that he was not granting him clemency.[/QUOTE]
The jury convicted him to his face, the judge sentenced him to his face, every appeal has been denied to his face. The Governator has the power but not the obligation to grant clemency if theres reason for it, he has found that there is no compelling reason to override every judge and jury member that has decided he is guilty and deserving of the death penalty.

I think he should ask the families of the victims for clemency, to their face. Maybe he should look them in the eye, tell them he killed their loved ones, and convince them that he's such a nice guy now and he shouldn't die. How about that instead?

[quote name='dafoomie']The jury convicted him to his face, the judge sentenced him to his face, every appeal has been denied to his face. The Governator has the power but not the obligation to grant clemency if theres reason for it, he has found that there is no compelling reason to override every judge and jury member that has decided he is guilty and deserving of the death penalty.

I think he should ask the families of the victims for clemency, to their face. Maybe he should look them in the eye, tell them he killed their loved ones, and convince them that he's such a nice guy now and he shouldn't die. How about that instead?[/QUOTE]

He probably will be doing that in about 4 hours when he's executed.

[quote name='mykevermin']Should the state stick to its commitment to execute him this coming Tuesday, or does he deserve a reduction to a life sentence with no possibility of parole?[/QUOTE]That "reduction" would be even worse than execution. So either way is fine with me. I don't even know what he did. :oops: :lol:

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']That "reduction" would be even worse than execution. So either way is fine with me. I don't even know what he did. :oops: :lol:[/QUOTE]

Wow, Sub makes a rare VS. forum appearance.

[quote name='Zoglog']wow the kettle blows out nothing but hot steam. That was a long way of saying "I have no argument so i'll ask a series of useless questions and recycle my grammar argument"

Anyway a bunch of morons decided to goto the federal building near my work and protest. Why the federal building for a state matter durr? It's people like this that make me want to help execute that guy =p.

People like 50 cent, Snoop dog, and this guy make me sick. They only help the man keep them down =p Well either way he's probably gonna die so no point in arguing really[/QUOTE]
If you find yourself reading through the thread, you'll note that I have plenty of arguments to make, none of which were refuted by your "Snoop Dogg wants him to live, so I want to see him die" argument.

Here's a challenge: make a fucking point, and I'll discuss it. Until then, your pedantic banter is the only thing I have to focus on.

[quote name='mykevermin']I don't like spending my money to pay for traffic lights. What of it?

The "cost" argument is rather pointless, don't you think? You are going to *have* to pay for either housing or executing this criminal, unless you don't want to do anything to them (and I doubt few but the most foolish of libertarians would recommend *that*).[/QUOTE]

I agree, I'm just talking about what I'd rather pay for. I don't mind paying a little extra to see justice served.

[quote name='mykevermin']Additionally, the argument had nothing to do with being released. The clemency argument was centered on either going through with his execution, as planned, or on allowing him to remain imprisoned for the rest of his days until he died of natural causes. In this case, his getting free is a complete non-issue. You're also completely ignoring the data alonzo cited that show fewer than 2% of released murderers are rearrested for murder, a repeat offense rate *FAR* lower than others (over 50% lower, at the very least). That's some pretty important factual information, as it renders your hypothetical of release and repeat homicide extremely unlikely.
Not at all; I am pointing out, however, that the decision Gov. Schwarzenegger made would have far reaching and long-lasting implications in regards to the policy direction of our criminal justice, courts, and corrections systems, the behavior of future inmates, and it would also set another precedent for race relations between blacks and the state for quite some time. To ignore these kinds of effects when deliberating over one person's death is poor governing.[/QUOTE]

I'd like to think that he'd never be released, but laws can change and there might be a period in Cali's future history where they do trust mass-murderers enough to free them from the jails after a stint. How many gang-banging murderers with circumstances similar to Tookie's repeat their offences? When talking statistics it doesn't make sense to mix in all of the cheating and manslaughter cases with what Tookie does.

Is the governor supposed to consider penal policy direction, race relations, etc when granting clemency? Is Schwartzeneger supposed to spare Barabbas because the mob has spoken? I thought it was supposed to be a decision based on correcting a judicial error - if the politicians are continually allowed to slide on this point we are eventually going to see many more pardons like that of Marc Rich.

[quote name='SkyGheNe']When there is no doubt about who committed the crime and they are sentenced to death, there should be absolutely no appeals. It should not be delayed. It should be done asap.

It shouldn't have taken more than a year.[/quote]

Well there is some doubt. Though how exactly do you determine that? There are rape victims who can go to a lineup, quickly point out a guy, swear that person raped them and only years later find out that they had the wrong guy. How do you determine when there is absolutely no doubt? Unless you have a video of him doing it I don't see how that would work. In this case the witnesses all had reason to testify against him (since they were criminals themselves), and you had ballistics evidence connecting the shots to his gun but not necessarily him. Look, I don't really care whether he's guilty, that doesn't effect my opinion on this and I have no interest in arguing that aspect. But this absolute proof you speak of would not fit him. There are many cases that seem air tight and major issues are found later on during appeals, new testimonies, evidence etc.

I wonder if you would be this passive if this had happened to one of your family members? I know I wouldn't. If a murder was done out of cold intentions and is proven to be committed by someone without doubt, I'm for death the next day.

Last time I checked we don't allow families to determine punishment.

But in this case we have a person that since his "reform" (reform, con, whatever word you want to use I don't care) has saved lives. Be it the people who say he helped alter the course of their life through his words, or things such as the gang truce he helped lay the groundwork for in newark. People are allowing the concept of justice to override the greater concern of keeping society safe. Thats what the police and court system should be there for, to ensure the safety of society. In this case they are doing more harm than good by executing him. It has long been shown that executions have no deterrent effect. But, unlike executions, anti gang activism does help deter violence. When you have a weapon such as this, the co-founder of the most notorious gang in the u.s., you shouldn't be so eager to get rid of it.

If we had killed tookie 20 years ago more people would have died from gang violence. I don't care whether the total difference is 5 people. Those are 5 families who don't have to seek justice for their loved one, families that won't have to deal with the same pain that tookies victims families do. And the gang truce in newark, all the students and church youth who hear his speaches (either taped or by phone), I'm sure more than 5 lives have been saved. Those 4 people are dead, the crips are a mega gang. Killing him is going to do absolutely nothing to change anything that has occured due to his past.

I'd like to think that he'd never be released, but laws can change and there might be a period in Cali's future history where they do trust mass-murderers enough to free them from the jails after a stint.

Laws can change to the point where life without parole mean parole in 30 years?

[quote name='alonzomourning23']Well there is some doubt. Though how exactly do you determine that? There are rape victims who can go to a lineup, quickly point out a guy, swear that person raped them and only years later find out that they had the wrong guy. How do you determine when there is absolutely no doubt? [/QUOTE]

Yeah that's crazy and it should scare anyone. In this country, if a woman accuses a man, then for all intents and purposes he is guilty until proven innocent. Thank goodness things like DNA testing are elminating alot of this, but noone should have any doubt that it still happens.

If I were to speak the language I guess he ran out of quarters lols.
So what did he request as his last meal? Now there's something worth discussing :)

[quote name='Zoglog']If I were to speak the language I guess he ran out of quarters lols.
So what did he request as his last meal? Now there's something worth discussing :)[/QUOTE]

It actually is interesting. He refused a last meal.

This just in from the sports desk....

The needle won :37 seconds into the first round. Looks like the Vegas oddsmakers called this one right on the money.

[quote name='PittsburghAfterDark']This just in from the sports desk....

The needle won :37 seconds into the first round. Looks like the Vegas oddsmakers called this one right on the money.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure gang recruiters were watching and cheering right along with you.

Though there was one reporter on fox (the female reporter) who seriously needs to learn how to make an unbiased broadcast. Also, fox needs to learn that people who rather listen to the actual live descriptions of what happened rather than what the fox commentator thinks of the descriptions.

wow, 12:35 AM too, they didn't even let him get a nights rest!

Good riddance, as ahnuld says, there IS no redemtion, john connor!!!

HE'S TERMINATED

[quote name='alonzomourning23']I'm sure gang recruiters were watching and cheering right along with you.

Though there was one reporter on fox (the female reporter) who seriously needs to learn how to make an unbiased broadcast. Also, fox needs to learn that people who rather listen to the actual live descriptions of what happened rather than what the fox commentator thinks of the descriptions.[/QUOTE]

Details.

[quote name='alonzomourning23']Well there is some doubt. Though how exactly do you determine that? There are rape victims who can go to a lineup, quickly point out a guy, swear that person raped them and only years later find out that they had the wrong guy. How do you determine when there is absolutely no doubt? Unless you have a video of him doing it I don't see how that would work. In this case the witnesses all had reason to testify against him (since they were criminals themselves), and you had ballistics evidence connecting the shots to his gun but not necessarily him. Look, I don't really care whether he's guilty, that doesn't effect my opinion on this and I have no interest in arguing that aspect. But this absolute proof you speak of would not fit him. There are many cases that seem air tight and major issues are found later on during appeals, new testimonies, evidence etc.

Last time I checked we don't allow families to determine punishment.

But in this case we have a person that since his "reform" (reform, con, whatever word you want to use I don't care) has saved lives. Be it the people who say he helped alter the course of their life through his words, or things such as the gang truce he helped lay the groundwork for in newark. People are allowing the concept of justice to override the greater concern of keeping society safe. Thats what the police and court system should be there for, to ensure the safety of society. In this case they are doing more harm than good by executing him. It has long been shown that executions have no deterrent effect. But, unlike executions, anti gang activism does help deter violence. When you have a weapon such as this, the co-founder of the most notorious gang in the u.s., you shouldn't be so eager to get rid of it.

If we had killed tookie 20 years ago more people would have died from gang violence. I don't care whether the total difference is 5 people. Those are 5 families who don't have to seek justice for their loved one, families that won't have to deal with the same pain that tookies victims families do. And the gang truce in newark, all the students and church youth who hear his speaches (either taped or by phone), I'm sure more than 5 lives have been saved. Those 4 people are dead, the crips are a mega gang. Killing him is going to do absolutely nothing to change anything that has occured due to his past.

Laws can change to the point where life without parole mean parole in 30 years?[/QUOTE]

If there's doubt, as long as there is no chance of parole, keep him in there. I'd find that a bit more miserable than dieing personally.

As far as him saving people goes, i'll be sure to keep that in mind when I go on a killing spree myself and am waiting out the sentence.

As long as I touch just one person, that's all that matters. I've made a difference.

There shouldn't be exceptions to the law. That's all I am saying. What you're talking about is utilitarianism and sometimes you have to do what's "right" whether that be death or life in prison. I don't care which because at the moment, the death penalty is more expensive than life in prison.

So why not just let em' rot.

[quote name='alonzomourning23']I'm sure gang recruiters were watching and cheering right along with you.

Though there was one reporter on fox (the female reporter) who seriously needs to learn how to make an unbiased broadcast. Also, fox needs to learn that people who rather listen to the actual live descriptions of what happened rather than what the fox commentator thinks of the descriptions.[/QUOTE]

Yes, because I bet the recruitment numbers are going to be overwhelming now that his books died along with him.

At any rate, anyone find it funny how they constantly mentioned him being nominated for the nobel peace prize? Did you know you can nominate yourself for that?

And don't watch fox news looking for anything more than entertainment.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Wow, Sub makes a rare VS. forum appearance.[/QUOTE]Only to reveal that I have absolutely no idea what is going on in the world. :oops: :lol:

I read nothing in this thread but here are my thoughts.

Here is what counts:

1) He killed people.

2) He found a gang that is known for killing people.

3) Said gang has killed several people since its founding. While he is obviously not responsible for what they do, his crime organization kills innocents and rivals alike.

4) He was found guilty.

5) He was found guilty in a state that enforces the death penalty and was sentenced to do so.

6) His sentencing is coming to pass.

Here's what is not applicable:

1) Race, at least not to the extent a bunch of advocates what to make it out to be. If that were the case it would have been argued for far longer and much more vohemently in the court at the time of hearing.

2) What he did in prison (books). If that were payment for his crimes then...well, I don't want to imagine what scenarios that would create, but they scare the living shit out of me. The fact that he got nominated for a Nobel is pretty sickening (although I concede that is my own personal view).

3) Whether or not the death penalty is wrong/right. This is completely beside the point and shouldn't even enter the equation. They had, what, 20 years to debate this for this case alone? And let's not forget how long it has been deliberated since the dawn of f*cking man. Save this argument for another day, because it is not the focus here.

4) "Redemption." What a laughable excuse. If this is coming from a spiritual/religious standpoint, then you understand that you STILL live by the laws of both man and your diety. And if he truly wants that, he understands that his diety will pass judgement upon that article of his life. Let's assume for a moment it's Christianity and God. Well, his soul is God's property and he can do what with he wants, that's not man's domain. Secondly, the Bible states you live by the law of the land. And the law of the land here is death penalty. That's where the judgement by man ends. This is very cut and dry. If he is truly redemptive, then he is no different from the theif on the cross, and God will do what he wants with his soul. "Redemption" is a personal thing. Everyone wants to make it out like this guy is a marty and representative of an entire group/generation/race/whatever. He's not. He's one man and his decisions rest with him, just as his consequences do.

The whole redemption/book thing is no different than the Menendez brothers bringing in evidence about their troubled childhood. This is the problem with the justice system, where people think all sorts of various peripheral arguments are valid over the cold, hard facts. We're not debating whether or not Tookie wrote books and advocated AGAINST violence, we're discussing if he killed people. A jury decided there was enough evidence he did.

It would be a huge slap in the face of all the victims if courts threw up their arms and said "oh GEE JAMIE FOXX IS RIGHT" and negated all the previous judgements. Perhaps this, too, should not be taken into account, but it would be unimaginably cruel if not.

I cannot and will not deliberate on the remains of his soul, whatever condemnations he may or may not receive, what will happen to him post-life, or anything else regarding what he truly feels emotionally. Likewise I cannot deliberate on the court's decision - I was not there. In fact, most of us here weren't even born yet. All I can hope for is that they examined every possible piece of evidence, that they came to a decision based on said evidence, and that his guilt was evaluated as complete. I cannot say whether or not the death penalty is right or wrong.

What I can say is this, purely:
He was found guilty, the court ruled death, and he got it.

My personal opinion is that if everything I've said is true, and that if he is guilty, then he merely got the consequences due to him. Whether or not those consequences are found in efficient and structural faith - meaning, within humanity and our judgements upon man - is something I have no way of confirming because I am not omnipotent.

The bottomline is that if you commit crimes - again, something I can only assume was shown to be found true in a court of law - then prepare to face the consequences.

If he is innocent, and there is a post-life station, and a judging of souls takes place, then all of his supporters need not worry.

If he is guilty, and there is a post-life station, and judging of souls takes place, then it is up to those dieties to deliberate.

In other words, our place as humans remains solely here on Earth, and our peers found a man guilty for brutal slayings. Nothing else should enter into the argument beyond that. It is sad, shallow, and hollow to believe anything else should be considered.

[quote name='Strell']My personal opinion is that if everything I've said is true[/QUOTE]
The fact that you disregarded race shows that you don't know much about the criminal justice or prison systems.

The fact that you expressed your opinion that redemption is impossible shows that you have a biased notion of justice.

The fact that you disregarded the context of criminal justification (in the case if the Menendez brothers) is contradictory to the arguments you put forth about how deserving Williams is of the death penalty; namely, his indirect culpability as one of the founders of the crips.

The fact that you disregarded the context of criminal justification shows that you lack the legal understanding of concepts such as "justifiable homicides."

Your argument is full of postmortem speculation - the "let god handle him" argument. That's not the role of the state to determine, and its uncertainty deplorable, when you consider that you're letting your *opinion* about what happens to people when they die inform your opinion of whether or not someone *should* die.

You wrote a very thorough and coherent argument, but one ultimately full of holes, speculation, and misinformation. Let me give you my nutshell question: How will society benefit from this man's death?

[quote name='mykevermin']The fact that you disregarded race shows that you don't know much about the criminal justice or prison systems.

The fact that you expressed your opinion that redemption is impossible shows that you have a biased notion of justice.

The fact that you disregarded the context of criminal justification (in the case if the Menendez brothers) is contradictory to the arguments you put forth about how deserving Williams is of the death penalty; namely, his indirect culpability as one of the founders of the crips.

The fact that you disregarded the context of criminal justification shows that you lack the legal understanding of concepts such as "justifiable homicides."

Your argument is full of postmortem speculation - the "let god handle him" argument. That's not the role of the state to determine, and its uncertainty deplorable, when you consider that you're letting your *opinion* about what happens to people when they die inform your opinion of whether or not someone *should* die.

You wrote a very thorough and coherent argument, but one ultimately full of holes, speculation, and misinformation. Let me give you my nutshell question: How will society benefit from this man's death?[/QUOTE]

I think maybe some of my arguments/comments aren't coming through as I intended, or I'm just writing bad ones, either of which are entirely possible because I prefer to stay away from internet arguments. This is a broad statement and not meant to sound like a reaction to you specificially, or more importantly, this forum.

Anyway...

The main point I was trying to say is that consequences can't be avoided. He was found guilty for crimes he probably committed. I admit freely I don't have all the info and I have no way of knowing it aside from reading a LOT of information I don't want to wade through, and even then there's no way to tell if it is biased or not.

First off, I'm probably wrong about race. But I'm tired of things being seen as only in terms of race. Going with your hypothetical, what would be the situation if Tookie was white? I'm just curious to know. Or Asian, or Hispanic, or from another country, etc etc? When do we see people as simply people? That's probably hopelessly idealistic on my part. I'm sure this is directly related to the fact that I'm white and really don't have any sort of basis to say anything about racial inequality aside from what I've read in classes.

Secondly, I wasn't saying redemption isn't possible. In fact, I didn't say that at all, and if it sounded like that, I apologize. I was saying it is a PERSONAL thing, that it remains between you and whatever dieties your faith believes in. Isn't this what everyone complains about with religion anyway? How there are people complaining that the word Christmas endorses Christianity and simultaneously denies other religious? My point is that if he has achieved redemption, then it is up to him and his faith. It is not based on earthly, corporeal realms - it is something entirely ethereal. Since that is the core of most post-life arguments in most religions, then what would happen to his soul would be up to those forces.
And if that's the case, how could we judge it at all? Probably about as well as we can judge a man to die.

Again, case in point, if he became Christian, God handles him. Man doesn't. It doesn't matter what man does to him, God has ultimate control. I can't speak for other religions because I know I am woefully under-educated on them. He dies, he's good, he goes to heaven. He's bad, he goes to Hell. If you believe that sort of thing.

So I'm not trying to say he is beyond rehabilitation/redemption, I'm saying man's judgements and actions imparted onto Tookie are completely insignificant to a godlike figure. Again, theif on the cross comes to mind.

So my point is that all these peopel screaming about "redemption!" need to sit back and realize that in this reality, it is completely secondary to what happens once you die. I remember a lot of arguments towards Schiavo supporters along these lines - "If you love her and feel she is a CHristian and bla bla, why would you keep her chained to this world when you think she'll reach heaven?" Same idea here. Stop passing it off as a huge banner to wave your own personal agendas around. Schiavo shouldn't be shoveled off anymore as an icon for Christianity anymore than Tookie should be for African Americans. That'll never happen though.

If Tookie is honestly redemptive - again, something I can't measure and neither can anyone else, his supporters included - then what happens to him doesn't matter. His soul isn't ours to govern. When I hear pastors and other persons of faith say something like "I know I'm going to Heaven when I die," I can't help but think how arrogant that sounds. We don't get to decide, God does (assuming he exists), and the same applies here.

To go along with that, I was saying that the Bible states you still follow the laws of man. From what I understand there were multiple appeals and attempts to exhaust all methods of law. Whether or not those attempts were met with biased rejection, I don't know. I have to assume it was carried out properly. I guess that sounds biased, and it sounds like I think the justice system is flawless. It clearly isn't and if I sounded like that, I apologize, because it's not. But you still have to play by the rules. I realize it's skewed here and there but that's not something I can change, and if this guy is innocent then, again, his redemption/soul/whatever will be clarified in that light and his post-death experience will reflect that.

-None- of the above should declare/augment/determine if a man should die. None of it. That is what I'm saying - it's all something out of our hands. In the end, if there is postmortem experience to be had, then it happens beyond our control. That was my point. Redemption is personal, it is not meant to be a martyred ideal to spread across a representative group, and it is not a reason to say he's innocent/guilty.

Thirdly, I said he was not responible for his gang's actions, but I did say it counted, and you are right, it is the same as the Menendez brothers. So I concede that and it becomes negligable.

Fourth, yea, I probably do lack the understanding of lots of things. So do a lot of people around here. I believe thats why I used the word if. You certainly seem out to get me for not understanding things I full well made clear I probably don't. Isn't that what this board is for? For opinions? That's NOT giving me carte blanche to say anything without reason, but I'm just pointing out that I'm probably about as well informed as the majority of users here, and less so than some others who have made it their specialization.

Fifth, will it better humanity? I'm not at liberty to say that. In the short run it is going to cause, possibly, riots and things like that. In the long run it will perpetuate unrest, distrust, and a lot of social problems. And it will definitely bring race relations to the forefront for some time. And it will be a precedent for a long while in court systems. And people will talk about it. That much I know.

Had he stayed alive it would appease several persons and not infuriate a lot of agonized people. It probably wouldn't have affected the victims' families too much because I hope they have found solace (although nothing like this has happened to me so I can't say what sort of mentality they live with, nor do I know much about what they are feeling now except some sort of closure, whether or not it is justified beyond simply killing Tookie) in that they feel he's behind bars. It would come off as a huge triumph for African Americans, and like it or not that would piss off lots of White Supremacists. And religious nuts would be all over it claiming it was a breakdown of justice and that "hoo boy, God gunna get'em sooner 'r later."

Sounds like a lose lose lose situation to me.

I guess all I can hope for is that his books and his message outlive his crimes and that it saves people from making the same mistakes.

And that maybe gang rivalry/warfare bullshit will finally begin to recede. But it didn't happen with Tupac and Biggie so I can't see it happening here.

Also the followup hypothetical is probably "how do you think it should be handled," and all I can say is I don't know and I'm appreciative that I don't have to know. That's not my position. And I don't see much of a reason to play the what if game on that one because it's going to make my head hurt like hell.

I'm not sure any of this helps my argument but I'm really bored at work.

America and Japan are the only Adv. Industrial countries that condone capital punishment.

On a side note he did have milk before he died but no food and apparently he got black power salutes from supporters in the back. moot!

[quote name='mykevermin']Details.[/QUOTE]

When the media (who witnessed the execution) came out and began reporting on what happened fox cut to their commentator and he began talking about what the media was saying. They may have gone back, but I switched to another channel after about 15 seconds.

Though there were 2 main fox reporters. One was doing a good job, stating how peaceful everything was (even when a protestor hit a cameraman who tried to remove their sign, he kept saying that 99.9% of the people here were peaceful and explained why) and open to both sides of the tookie issue. The female reporter seemed to be more interested in stating how guilty tookie was, but at this point I don't remember exactly what she was saying.

Yes, because I bet the recruitment numbers are going to be overwhelming now that his books died along with him.

At any rate, anyone find it funny how they constantly mentioned him being nominated for the nobel peace prize? Did you know you can nominate yourself for that?

And don't watch fox news looking for anything more than entertainment.

Of course not, but I'm sure the death of anyone who speaks against gangs is a welcome death to gang leaders.

Though I know its relatively easy to get a nobel prize nomination, that doesn't really add or take away from everything else. And the reason I was watching fox was because I was watching hannity and colmes (al sharpton was the guest) before that.

As far as him saving people goes, i'll be sure to keep that in mind when I go on a killing spree myself and am waiting out the sentence.

As long as I touch just one person, that's all that matters. I've made a difference.

There shouldn't be exceptions to the law. That's all I am saying. What you're talking about is utilitarianism and sometimes you have to do what's "right" whether that be death or life in prison. I don't care which because at the moment, the death penalty is more expensive than life in prison.

So why not just let em' rot.

Because if they're more beneficial alive then thats where they should be. Justice is great, but when that person does things that decrease (even if only by a very small amount) the amount of gang violence or deaths then thats a few extra people who don't have to seek "justice" for their loved one. If there wasn't a gang truce in newark then right there you would have had a few extra dead people at least, and a few extra families seeking "justice".

The central focus of the courts and the police should be protecting society. Dead he does nothing for that, alive he did. What's "right" is keeping alive a tool to keep people away from gangs.

I also honestly doubt you're going to go on a killing spree "just cause you'll only get life". Again, deterrence isn't a good argument since no evidence supports it and, actually, states with the death penalty have higher homicide rates on average.

I'm only barely following this story, but are this man's good works enough to repay the debt of the four lives he took?

I'm going to have to go with Arnold on this one. Without remorse, there is no redemption.

Our justice system is not set up how some of you think. If a person receives a death penalty, they won't receive leniancy because they've become a "good person". Becoming a "good person" after a conviction does only one thing, it clears your own conscience. Does it bring back people from the dead? No. If you commit a crime, you pay the price. If you steal a tv, they aren't going to kill, but you will serve your time. If you kill someone (in the right state), and are convicted, they will kill you. If you don't like the rules, don't kill anyone. It's a pretty simple concept. I think it's great that he says he's "changed". It still doesn't change the fact that he murdered 4 individuals, and ordered many more killings. It's like a kid who gets caught stealing a candy bar...he may really want to change after being caught, but he still has to be punished for his actions.

[quote name='Derwood43']Our justice system is not set up how some of you think. If a person receives a death penalty, they won't receive leniancy because they've become a "good person". Becoming a "good person" after a conviction does only one thing, it clears your own conscience. Does it bring back people from the dead? No. If you commit a crime, you pay the price. If you steal a tv, they aren't going to kill, but you will serve your time. If you kill someone (in the right state), and are convicted, they will kill you. If you don't like the rules, don't kill anyone. It's a pretty simple concept. I think it's great that he says he's "changed". It still doesn't change the fact that he murdered 4 individuals, and ordered many more killings. It's like a kid who gets caught stealing a candy bar...he may really want to change after being caught, but he still has to be punished for his actions.[/QUOTE]

Your entire thesis is predicated on the fact that our justice system is perfect. It isn't.

Celebrities shouldnt recieve special treatment. There have been plenty of Reformed inmates killed, and this one shouldnt be any different. I dont see anyone standing up for "Son Of Sam", and hes an altar boy.

Just a question here for any who think he should have been spared. Have any of you lost a relative to a violent crime and had to go through the judicial (sp?) process afterwards? Were any of you a victim of a violent crime yourself and if you were would you feel any different? I ask because I lost my brother in law to a murder when he was shot over 35 times back in '86 by a friend (I know some friend) of his. The Murderer was convicted and tried clemency 3 times and was denied and all three times I had to go through that mess with my wife. It wasn't a picnic by any means, so back to the question, would any of you if you had lost a relative or were the victim of some horrific crime feel any different about wanting to spare the person responsible the death penalty?

You've only identified the person seeking clemency by the crime they committed. That's insufficient detail as far as I'm concerned.

It's inconvenient and unfortunate for you and your family, but you're also trying to argue that your emotional involvement somehow gives you better insight. I would argue the opposite, that your emotional involvement impedes you from recognizing that a person convicted of a crime can change for the better. Your loss and situation is unfortunate, but it's not really an applicable argument.

[quote name='Derwood43']If you kill someone (in the right state), and are convicted, they will kill you. If you don't like the rules, don't kill anyone. It's a pretty simple concept.[/QUOTE]

It's not that simple - there are legally justified kills, manslaughter, and 3 degrees of homicide.

It's interesting to note that if it's a one-on-one situation, then the US does not authorize a pre-emptive strike. Yet if it's a nation-on-nation situation, preemtive strikes by the US are A-OK (even if the reasons for doing so turn out to be faulty).

[quote name='mykevermin']You've only identified the person seeking clemency by the crime they committed. That's insufficient detail as far as I'm concerned.

It's inconvenient and unfortunate for you and your family, but you're also trying to argue that your emotional involvement somehow gives you better insight. I would argue the opposite, that your emotional involvement impedes you from recognizing that a person convicted of a crime can change for the better. Your loss and situation is unfortunate, but it's not really an applicable argument.[/QUOTE]

I am not arguing anything, I asked a question. It's a simple as that, if anyone who thinks tookie should have been spared was a victim of a horrific crime or lost a relative to one, would they feel any different. I made no argument for it one way or the other. As far as my situation it was very cut and dry, witnesses, weapons the whole 9 was never in doubt, also he was given life w/out parole instead of death and wanted to use clemency and gain time to get out of prison altogether, so it is not the same as tookie. I never saids a person could not change either. Please do not put words in my mouth, I asked a simple question and put the reason why i asked it, I never said one way or the other, but if you must know, I believe he (tookie) should have died as he was convicted and the true crime is how long it took to get to the point of him leaving this Earth. As far as my "loss" I am well over it, the only true insight I have is going to court time and time again and truth be told if the person who did murder my brother in law did in fact change and do a great good for this world I would in fact look to it with open eyes (more so than my wife's family) and look at all options cause i would like to believe my brother in law would not want them to dwell and stress over this for the rest of their lives and he would was them to learn to forgive as well. Thats just my .01, so back to the original question I asked.

[quote name='KingNES']Just a question here for any who think he should have been spared. Have any of you lost a relative to a violent crime and had to go through the judicial (sp?) process afterwards? Were any of you a victim of a violent crime yourself and if you were would you feel any different? I ask because I lost my brother in law to a murder when he was shot over 35 times back in '86 by a friend (I know some friend) of his. The Murderer was convicted and tried clemency 3 times and was denied and all three times I had to go through that mess with my wife. It wasn't a picnic by any means, so back to the question, would any of you if you had lost a relative or were the victim of some horrific crime feel any different about wanting to spare the person responsible the death penalty?[/QUOTE]

An ex family member (my cousin divorced him) was killed by his girlfriend. Though he was abusive and even pulled a gun on my cousin, so its not like anyone was really distraught. One of his daughters was a little upset, the other couldn't have cared less. I just think of it as an example of how screwed up some of my family is and a nice story to tell, I never cared personally and it never bothered me. I guess it does kind of fit here, only because it shows how I think of people who have harmed those I care about. I also remember a friend in high school who was almost raped, I would have welcomed someone going in and shooting that guy. But there's a big difference between wanting harm to come to someone and thinking that it's a good idea to let those with a personal relationship to the victim to decide the legal fate of a person. Though I do feel that if the victims family wants the murderer not to be executed then the execution should be stopped. I've seen a few cases where that happened (and it wasn't like this where some families wanted an execution while other didn't or didn't care), but the execution went forward.

But, ok, so even if I do accept the idea that revenge for past killings overrides current good works there's still a problem. This mans good works led to a truce between gangs in newark and helped lead to at least some people not joining gangs. If he prevented 1 more death, if he prevented 1 more family from knowing the sorrow of the victims family, isn't that more valuable than seeing justice for past crimes? He continued his anti gang work, it wasn't as if that was over with and there was nothing more to gain by keeping him alive. There's little doubt that some peoples lives were saved by his past work, we'll never know whose life may have been different in the future, but its a safe bet that somewhere, someone will commit a violent crime or murder that may have been indirectly prevented if tookie was still alive. His guilt or innocence, his inner thoughts etc. have little to do with this.

Unless you dispute that his anti gang work (including the truce) has had any effect, it just doesn't make much sense to me to suggest that making him pay for past crimes is more important than his work that helps prevent future crimes. Just as families suffer from his past, families will suffer in the future due to crimes committed.

Also, this seems overlooked, while the courts did uphold the conviction, the 9th circuit did strongly advise the state to commute his sentence to life with parole. It is very rare for any court to do that. Going back to some previous arguments about it being an open and shut case, there was no dna evidence, and the courts did state that there were issues with the witnesses (since they all got deals for testifieing resulting in incentives to lie), that there were serious issues with racial discrimination in the prosecutions case, and that it was based primarily on circumstantial evidence. The way I see it if he didn't do it he still had the mindset to do it, and I take that from listening to his own words. I'm not comfortable with this whole thing being a con, since if it was he would have done everything possible to protect himself (meaning he would have confessed like everyone, including his lawyer, advised him to to gain clemecy). If its legit then it was just an issue of he didn't commit this crime, not that he wouldn't have eventually killed someone (or hadn't killed someone else that he wasn't accused of).

This is a basic truth against the death penalty that noone has been able to answer:

Innocent people sometimes get convicted. If they are given a prison term, new evidence can come out and they can be set free. If they are executed, they can't be brought back.

And some questions:

Would you be willing to die for a crime you didn't commit in order to preserve the death penalty?

What reparations, if any, should the family of a wrongly executed man receive?

Should we go back and reexamine any case that may be overturned because of DNA evidence?

If the desired result of the punishment is to permanently remove someone from society, in what way is the death penalty better than life in solitary confinement?

Should there be a time limit between conviction and execution?

[quote name='evanft']If the desired result of the punishment is to permanently remove someone from society, in what way is the death penalty better than life in solitary confinement?[/QUOTE]It costs less.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']It costs less.[/QUOTE]

Florida would save $51 million each year by punishing all first-degree murderers with life in prison without parole, according to estimates by the Palm Beach Post. Based on the 44 executions Florida has carried out since 1976, that amounts to an approximate cost of $24 million for each execution. This finding takes into account the relatively few inmates who are actually executed, as well as the time and effort expended on capital defendants who are tried but convicted of a lesser murder charge, and those whose deathe sentences are overturned on appeal.....

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/article.php?did=108&scid=7

A 2003 legislative audit in Kansas found that the estimated cost of a death penalty case was 70% more than the cost of a comparable non-death penalty case. Death penalty case costs were counted through to execution (median cost $1.26 million). Non-death penalty case costs were counted through to the end of incarceration (median cost $740,000).

(December 2003 Survey by the Kansas Legislative Post Audit)

The estimated costs for the death penalty in New York since 1995 (when it was reinstated): $160 million, or approximately $23 million for each person sentenced to death. To date, no executions have been carried out.
(The Times Union, Sept. 22, 2003)

http://www.amnestyusa.org/abolish/cost.html

With 11 executions spread over 27 years, on a per execution basis, California and federal taxpayers have paid more than $250 million for each execution.

It costs approximately $90,000 more a year to house an inmate on death row, than in the general prison population or $57.5 million annually.

The Attorney General devotes about 15% of his budget, or $11 million annually to death penalty cases.

The California Supreme Court spends $11.8 million on appointed counsel for death row inmates.

Source
Tempest, Rone, "Death Row Often Means a Long Life", Los Angeles Times, March 6, 2005.......

http://www.deathpenalty.org/index.php?pid=cost

If you want to cut costs then the death penalty is not the best option. If you want to ensure that innocent people are not executed (I pointed out earlier that 70% are overturned due to serious errors, the most common being incompetent defense and suppression of evidence, and only 5% ever carried out) then you can't cut back on the costs.

[quote name='KingNES']I am not arguing anything, I asked a question. It's a simple as that, if anyone who thinks tookie should have been spared was a victim of a horrific crime or lost a relative to one, would they feel any different. I made no argument for it one way or the other. As far as my situation it was very cut and dry, witnesses, weapons the whole 9 was never in doubt, also he was given life w/out parole instead of death and wanted to use clemency and gain time to get out of prison altogether, so it is not the same as tookie. I never saids a person could not change either. Please do not put words in my mouth, I asked a simple question and put the reason why i asked it, I never said one way or the other, but if you must know, I believe he (tookie) should have died as he was convicted and the true crime is how long it took to get to the point of him leaving this Earth. As far as my "loss" I am well over it, the only true insight I have is going to court time and time again and truth be told if the person who did murder my brother in law did in fact change and do a great good for this world I would in fact look to it with open eyes (more so than my wife's family) and look at all options cause i would like to believe my brother in law would not want them to dwell and stress over this for the rest of their lives and he would was them to learn to forgive as well. Thats just my .01, so back to the original question I asked.[/QUOTE]
The rambling nature of this response suggests that you're doing far more than asking a question, and does nothing to suggest that you could emotionally remove yourself from a situation.

The nature of your question is, despite anything said thus far, foolish anyway. "Feelings" exist external to the law, and the feelings of a victim's family have no bearing on court decisions or sentences (except in the rare cases where a victim or their family argue on *behalf* of the accused).

Knowing all that, your question is simply idiotic. For this very reason: what you are asking is a hypothetical, and a hypothetical that is completely irrelevant to the debate at hand. Would people feel different if they knew someone who was murdered? Of course they would; positive or negative, how could anyone NOT feel different?. The important question is this: are you competent enough to let knowledge and facts guide your opinion, rather than one individual case to which you are emotionally tied?

Now, let me ask you this: what does your question have to do with Tookie's clemency hearing? What led you to thinking that your question was important, valid, and worthy of debate here? Also, what's your overall point?

[quote name='evanft']

Would you be willing to die for a crime you didn't commit in order to preserve the death penalty?
[/QUOTE]

This is an excellent question and I hope you don't mind but I will be using this in future death penalty debates I may have.

Innocent people sometimes get convicted. If they are given a prison term, new evidence can come out and they can be set free. If they are executed, they can't be brought back.

There is no way to bring back the time lost from a prison term either.

Whether an innocent person is likely to be wrongfully executed is not really the issue. After all, one could design the death penalty in such a way that there would be NO risk of an innocent person being murdered. For example, reserve the death penalty for cases where the murder was on film, there was a confession, at least two eye witnesses, etc. The point is that the debate about the death penalty should be a moral one at its base, not a practical one.

For the same reason, arguments about the death penalty being more expensive to administer than the cost of keeping someone in prison for life without parole really miss the point. We could certainly reduce the cost of administering the death penalty -- limit the number of appeals, place a time limit for executions to be carried out, etc. The fact that our system allowed Stan Williams to be on death row for 24 years (and to file countless appeals at taxpayer expense) is not an argument against the death penalty. It is an argument against the way we currently administer the death penalty.

So, the real question that needs to be answered is whether you believe that it can be justified for the state to execute someone who has unquestionably murdered. In my view, the answer is "yes." I think that society, as a collective entity, can decide that certain crimes are serious enough that the perpetrator has surrendered his right to live. I find nothing immoral about that.

The cost, the risk of executing an innocent man, the time spent on death row, these are all details that are ultimately beside the main point.

bread's done
Back