Your thoughts on Super Mario Sunshine

Yeah, personally I think it is a nice evolution of SM64, but given that SM64 was so revolutionary it is hard to beat it. I liked how it wasn't the same lava world, ice world, etc. crap that the 3d platforming genre had gotten bogged down in.

personally I thought sunshine was every bit as good as SM64, if not better, but that's my opinion. I do realize that sunshine is a bit shorter, but I like big worlds/environments :)

it was a blast to play and a LOT harder to find all shines than it was to find all stars in sm64. I just wish there was more varied environments (desert, snow, etc.)

I loved SMsunshine! It is one of my favorite games for the Gamecube. I finished it complete with all 120 shines. Some of the levels are very chanllenging! Highly recommended! Only complaint is it was a bit on the short side if you didn't go for the 120 shines. :D

the game was fun for a while, then I began to hate it...

I donno... I jus thought it was so bad. I cant even bring myself to finishing it...

the only good parts were the platform levels, the really hard ones.

that's jus me tho...

I forgot I had this game. I played it for a week, then somthing else came out and I forgot I had it. Thanks to this thread, I got something good to play until Mega Man Collection come out in a week.

yeah I loved it. The best were the homages to the old school Mario games-the music, the images and the platforming.....

All I know is that the Mario for the Revolution better kick some serious ass. I want something revolutionary. I want them to revitalize the genre. I don't want another collect-a-thon.

The waterpack is a neat new idea, which made it seem quite different from the 64 predecessor. I enjoyed it though, with only a few things that frustrated me. Some of the music kicked ass.

Collecting the blue coins in all the levels is what I found annoying. I haven't played it in a while, but I'm still missing 2 from the level with the village with giant trees and pollen.

Mario Sunshine, Like Mario 64 before it, totally sucked. There has not been a good, new mario Platformer since Yoshi island.

Very cool platform game . . . the water pack adds quite a bit to the play. The graphics are beautiful. Quite a bit of challenge.

It was missing a spark . . . but it was an underrated game. Bypassed by GTA3 and more adult games??? Jak and Daxter (1st one) had the same problem.

Ron

I personally do not care for it, but my kid loves it. Therefore I am forced to play it. At least he can play it too, and he really enjoys it.

I liked the game a great deal. A worthy addition to the mario library, however, every once in a while the camera in this game WOULD NOT DO WHAT I WANTED IT TO DO. fuck 3D MARIO'S CAMERA. It sucked super hard in Mario 64 and it comes very close to sucking just as much in Sunshine...

To semi-quote Mel Gibson: "gimme back my 2d!"

I've only played this game briefly, but it seems like it will be much more difficult to get all 120 shines than it was to get all 120 stars (i don't use guides)...

the levels without a water pack were so much fun I wish they would make a game with about 150 of those levels.

I would pay 50 for it, and play that game to death

The only camera problem I had with it was on that one level in the amusement park (the one where you climb the back of a ferris wheel or something). I swear I spent more time fighting the camera than playing the level.

[quote name='ex0']The only camera problem I had with it was on that one level in the amusement park (the one where you climb the back of a ferris wheel or something). I swear I spent more time fighting the camera than playing the level.[/quote]

YEAH! That level came this close *holds thumb and finger a half inch apart* to destroying that game for me...

I've been considering buying this but it just doesn't look real great to me. Does it have any variety to the levels like Mario 64 did? Decent music or is it all tropical themed shit? I just don't dig the whole tropical thingy. :D

I got my fair share of fun out of sunshine. Shouldn't have bought it, in retrospect, though, cause I could have just as easily borrowed it from someone and I know now that I'll never play it again.

Alright. I absolutely loved Sonic Adventure and Mario 64, but haven't play the sequels to either.

If I buy one, which one should I get? Sonic Adventure 2: Battle or Mario Shunshine? :)

i did not even finish the game..and that is coming from somebody who got all 120 starts in SM64...i didn't like the water pack that much and I just got into more games i liked more for my GC like metroid...maybe i'll give it another shot though!

Yeah, SA2 was weak. SA was cool at the time, but looking back now it was only so-so. I only played the demo of Sonic Heroes but I enjoyed it.

[quote name='Drico']I've been considering buying this but it just doesn't look real great to me. Does it have any variety to the levels like Mario 64 did? Decent music or is it all tropical themed shit? I just don't dig the whole tropical thingy. :D[/quote]

Now that it can be easily had for a proper CAG price I'd give it a high rating. I would have been annoyed if I'd paid anywhere near original SRP as there was just something about this game that felt more like work than fun. This is a problem a lot of franchise face when they need to play both to the hardcore fans and the mainstream audience.

[quote name='Tromack']Yeah, SA2 was weak. SA was cool at the time, but looking back now it was only so-so. I only played the demo of Sonic Heroes but I enjoyed it.[/quote]

hey, if they had unenjoyable demos then the game is going to have a big problem, right? hehe

Yeah, but there are a lot of games where the demo is either unimpressive or the game is unimpressive so that no matter what they put in the demo it will suck.

Worst Game Ever! Only because I have come to expect so much from a Mario game. This one I found just plain annoying and no fun at all. The water pack doodad ruined it. It's annoying (there's that word again!) and frustrating.

OK, maybe not worst game ever because that crown is owned by Secret of Evermore, but it is still bad compared to say Mario 64 and Super Mario World.

Just my opinion of course.

Waiting for Mario 64 2

Chris

mario seems to be getting farther and farther away from the original storyline..

he's a plumber, and so in the original mario there were pipes for him to go in. He also fought against turtles, which could be in the sewer i guess.

now its gotten so far away from the storyline that its kinda weird.. now he has a water gun that lets him hover above ground and wash dirty stuff. he doesnt shoot fireballs anymore.

to me Super Mario Sunshine was fun... but didnt seem like a mario game. Its like they made a game that had nothing to do with Mario or any of the mario games.. then used mario as the main character.

[quote name='DenisDFat']Mario 64 was horrible. it and OOT made me hate video game for a couple years.[/quote]

And when do you expect to start liking them again?

I enjoyed it. I must say i have never been dissappointed from a mario game so maybe my views were a little skewed but still I thought for what it was it was great. Now if Nintendo cranks out the next mario game like that I won't be so happy but for now it was great. It's like going from mario 3 to super mario world. Mario 3 was revolutionary, world refined it. Same with SM64 to sunshine.

[quote name='DenisDFat']Oh i like them, but only the good ones.[/quote]

u only like good games? not shitty ones? ... thats just silly.. lol jk.

[quote name='Cracka'][quote name='DenisDFat']Oh i like them, but only the good ones.[/quote]

u only like good games? not shitty ones? ... thats just silly.. lol jk.[/quote]

lol :lol:

I, too, loved the pure platforming levels floating in the air. Some of them were extremely difficult, but I enjoyed them all. The sense of satisfaction you get from those is missing in a lot of 3D games.

The camera also gave me problems. Not only on the amusement park behind those walls (which was the worst), but on the swinging boats on that level as well. Ugh!

I do agree, though, that the people and similar environments got old. They tried to vary it as much as they could within the tropical theme, and they did alright. Oh, and they still fit a lava level in there because... that... lady's dog was... really... hot....... Worst excuse for lava EVER.

[quote name='DenisDFat']Mario Sunshine, Like Mario 64 before it, totally sucked. There has not been a good, new mario Platformer since Yoshi island.[/quote]

so says DennisDidiot. It's not only fact, but law!

A little more level variety would have been nice, but all in all it was a fun game. had me hooked for the week or so it took to beat...

It's no Super Mario World, but I thought it was alot of fun. The waterpack was a great idea and added some neat challenges to the game. However, the greatest challenges came in the form of the waterpack-less levels. Those bitchs were hard as hell. Well worth the 50 price tag, a steal at 20

[quote name='ElfAngel7']It's no Super Mario World, but I thought it was alot of fun. The waterpack was a great idea and added some neat challenges to the game. However, the greatest challenges came in the form of the waterpack-less levels. Those bitchs were hard as hell. Well worth the 50 price tag, a steal at 20[/quote]
Now that I look back, I thought they were kinda easy. Except that one with the Islanders throwing you...that was a bitch.

bread's done
Back