Ys Ark of Napishtim / Field Commander (PSP US versions) $15 each @ Play-Asia

The loading is pretty bad, though. That's the only PSP game that I own where the loading times get in the way, IMHO. It's most noticeable in town, where you have loading times each time you enter a house. Running it from a memory stick solves the problem, if you're able to do that.

Hey is field commander the same as the US release? I mean is it the same as the one I would buy at gamestop? The description of it from playasia says US compatible and region free. Doesn't that usually mean its a Japanese version playable on US systems?

Note that Field Commander is $16 at Target this week ($19.99 but on the endcap with 20% off "value" games, and it scans $16 automatically). I picked one up last night. Still too pricey for me, but I'll have 90 days to find it cheaper.

[quote name='DarkKnight']Hey is field commander the same as the US release? I mean is it the same as the one I would buy at gamestop? The description of it from playasia says US compatible and region free. Doesn't that usually mean its a Japanese version playable on US systems?[/QUOTE]

Look to the right of the item picture, there is an American flag ;)

For Japan releases there is a Japanese flag, and for those "Asia" releases there is, what I believe to be, a Chinese flag.

So yes, its the exact same game you'd buy at GameStop.

Thanks for your quick help guys. I just bought FC at gamestop on saturday for $30. I know, not a cheap ass move but none of the stores that marked it down ever had it in my area. Luckily I havent opened it yet so its going back to GS as soon as I get the playasia one. Thanks again!

It's apparently about the same, but without voice acting (which apparently wasn't too good in the PS2 version). But the load times are a lot longer on the PSP version, as mentioned above.

[quote name='freshzen']Look to the right of the item picture, there is an American flag ;)

For Japan releases there is a Japanese flag, and for those "Asia" releases there is, what I believe to be, a Chinese flag.

So yes, its the exact same game you'd buy at GameStop.[/QUOTE]
That's a Hong Kong flag

[quote name='io']Note that Field Commander is $16 at Target this week ($19.99 but on the endcap with 20% off "value" games, and it scans $16 automatically). I picked one up last night. Still too pricey for me, but I'll have 90 days to find it cheaper.[/QUOTE]

I got my copy Field Commander yesterday at Target too :)

As people have already mentioned, the load times for Ys are HORRIBLE. It irks me how this game went through quality control. Seriously, I tried to give this game a chance because I loved the art, and the game itself wasn't too bad. But the loading killed it for me. Some areas take around 12-20 seconds to load. This is especially annoying when you're going through parts of towns and forests. Put this game on your memory stick to eliminate all load times, if you're into that sorta thing.

Good prices. Any thoughts on Untold Legends : Warriors Code? I like Diablo-like dungeon crawlers when they're well done (like X-Men Legends II). Will I like this one? The first game got brutal reviews.

[quote name='Decker']Good prices. Any thoughts on Untold Legends : Warriors Code? I like Diablo-like dungeon crawlers when they're well done (like X-Men Legends II). Will I like this one? The first game got brutal reviews.[/QUOTE]
Well, I like both of the Untold Legends games to an extent, but they're both pretty generic fantasy games. The second one has more of a story rather than the randomly generated dungeons of the first one, if that means anything to you. You can get this pretty cheaply in the US, though, so you don't have to feel compelled to get it from this sale.

Thanks for the warnings on Ys. I'm pretty tolerant of some technical issues, but load times are killer. I'm gonna pass.

As for Untold Legends, I played the first one, and ended up quitting about 10 hours in... something I almost never do... because I was bored with it. Dungeon Siege is a much better option for a Diablo-style game on PSP.

Thanks OP. I've been waiting for a deal on Field Commander and this saves me a trip to Target. I guess I'm a lazy and cheapass gamer.

Silly question I'm sure, but Play Asia's safe and legit, right, and these are new copies and everything?

I've really wanted both since release. Had to pass on Y's for the PS2 since I'd really rather own a PSP version if it's available...but I've never seen it cheap until now. And Field Commander...well I've used up Advance Wars DS, so it's about time I can pick it up too :)

[quote name='CaoPi']f. commander? never even heard of it...[/QUOTE]

Never heard of it? It got good reviews. One of the big releases last spring if I'm remembering right. It's an Advance Wars-esque strategy game...except different I guess (uses 3D like air and land units being able to occupy the same space I think).

[quote name='Wolfpup']
I've really wanted both since release. Had to pass on Y's for the PS2 since I'd really rather own a PSP version if it's available...but I've never seen it cheap until now.[/quote]

If your local Toys R Us has Y's Ark of Napishtim in stock, it'll be $13.98 ;)

[quote name='waxHead']If your local Toys R Us has Y's Ark of Napishtim in stock, it'll be $13.98 ;)[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately mine sold out of Y's way before that clearance hit. :( Never made it below $30 at mine.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Silly question I'm sure, but Play Asia's safe and legit, right, and these are new copies and everything?[/QUOTE]

Yeah. It'll take about 2 weeks to get the games, but Play Asia is all good. I've never heard of anyone having any problems at all with them.

Avoid Ys like the plague. Load times kill any fun you could have with that game, I had to give up on it.

WTF is very interesting, but it's seriously the worst game I've ever played. It just sucks your time away. I can't believe I'd be up till 3AM making pens.

bread's done
Back