Zelda Breath of the Wild - gameplay discussion

You don't need 900 koroks to max out your inventory, fyi. It maxes out at
440... not 450, which would make sense being half way. Super strange.
So there must be an extra reward for 900. Tempted to look it up but I'll wait for the surprise. I'm assuming probably just unlimited rupees like other titles?

Last edited by a moderator:
So I've played a little bit when spare time has allowed. Tried to use some amiibo but it says I haven't played long enough? Is there a certain time period you have to play before amiibo can be used?

Man... The Master Sword makes the divine beast boss fights super easy. Outside the dungeons it's just a really good sword, but inside it's pretty over powered. 

Well... I finally killed Gannon, but I have to do it again because I
didn't get all of the memories before the fight to get the true ending.

I'm still enjoying all of the other stuff. I think I have over 100 of those shrines to still get around to doing. I also don't have many of those seeds, but that's ok.

So many times!

xj7BXiba047VMjxTnNIu8WA2c9RB30vOqfGGOPSfe6o.jpg

Man... The Master Sword makes the divine beast boss fights super easy. Outside the dungeons it's just a really good sword, but inside it's pretty over powered.
I read about how hard those divine beasts are, but I haven't had any issues with them. Part of it might be the potions I'm using too though. I haven't had any trouble with the three I've faced so far and I only used the master sword on the last one I did.

So I just started this a few days ago and... is it normally to wander around aimlessly to get from point A to point B? Like, I'm supposed to go to Kakariko Village and I feel like it's taking me forever to get there on foot/gliding. 

And will I ever get a weapon that doesn't break? Kinda annoying having to switch weapons in the middle of fights (especially bows, which don't have a D-pad shortcut if your weapon breaks). 

So I just started this a few days ago and... is it normally to wander around aimlessly to get from point A to point B? Like, I'm supposed to go to Kakariko Village and I feel like it's taking me forever to get there on foot/gliding.

And will I ever get a weapon that doesn't break? Kinda annoying having to switch weapons in the middle of fights (especially bows, which don't have a D-pad shortcut if your weapon breaks).
Spend your time running to the village. It will feel like your largest foot trek of the game. You will get fast travel to every shrine you unlock. Make sure you stop and see the sights right along the road to Kakariko, as there are a couple of things you don't want to miss.

Hold RL, I think, then hit the dpad shortcut. You can get to bows and arrows by holding a button.
Ah, thanks. I was driving me nuts that there was no bow shortcut... don't suppose there is an arrow type short cut, is there?

Spend your time running to the village. It will feel like your largest foot trek of the game. You will get fast travel to every shrine you unlock. Make sure you stop and see the sights right along the road to Kakariko, as there are a couple of things you don't want to miss.
I feel like I've been exploring quite a bit... problem is, most of the exploration has been very unrewarding outside of the 5 shines I found- two by complete luck. I thought the shines in the area were supposed to be visible from those map scanning towers but guess not? I did get my first horse but I end up just going on foot most of the time since it's easier to explore.

I feel like I'm doing something very wrong with this game.

Ah, thanks. I was driving me nuts that there was no bow shortcut... don't suppose there is an arrow type short cut, is there?

I feel like I've been exploring quite a bit... problem is, most of the exploration has been very unrewarding outside of the 5 shines I found- two by complete luck. I thought the shines in the area were supposed to be visible from those map scanning towers but guess not? I did get my first horse but I end up just going on foot most of the time since it's easier to explore.

I feel like I'm doing something very wrong with this game.
There is an arrow shortcut, I believe you just press left on the dpad instead of the right. Whatever bow is, it's the opposite.

As for exploration, I definitely felt like I was wandering aimlessly until I got to Kakariko. Shortly after that I feel like the world makes more "sense" in a way once you unlock all of the main quests. If you want, just do the beginning quest then go back to exploring.

There is an arrow shortcut, I believe you just press left on the dpad instead of the right. Whatever bow is, it's the opposite.

As for exploration, I definitely felt like I was wandering aimlessly until I got to Kakariko. Shortly after that I feel like the world makes more "sense" in a way once you unlock all of the main quests. If you want, just do the beginning quest then go back to exploring.
Thanks... I kept thinking "didn't I see a way shortcut for this?" but there was a day gap between when I started playing to when I picked back up and couldn't figure it out. Things are definitely starting to fall into place and things are starting to feel more natural.

If you feel like you are wandering too aimlessly then do some quests.  Advance the main quest some and do  side and shrine quests.  

I've had this since March, but only recently had some time to get really put into it.  I'm maybe halfway through now.  And man just gets better.  

My kid finished it awhile ago.  He did say it got too easy in the end.  That he was too powerful.  

I haven't had that problem yet lol. 

Yeah, that's definitely what I've learned... the world is open from the get go but it's not worth exploring early on and ends up being more of a waste of time in most cases. I've run into a number of dead ends and/or fights I cannot win- and unless I was able to find a quick travel spot, it's likely a trek I'll need to remake. I progressed with the story a bit from where I was and it's been a lot more fun. Still no real dungeon yet though which I guess there might not be any? 

Traveling is still a pain many times- I wish horses were easier to find in the wild (unless you can quick travel with your horse? hm... should try that) but oh well. 

I'll have Nintendo props on the world though... you can literally go anywhere in this game (mostly in part to Link's laughable ability to climb basically anything). It's nuts how HUGE this world is and I've only explored maybe 2/5 of the world so far. 

So I think I'm putting the game down. I beat the game just over a week ago and have been exploring the world since. Overall, it's a great game.... but also felt a bit disappointed. I love the Zelda series so I guess there were certain things I was expecting (going through a dungeon, finding that big reward at the end) but I guess the series is headed in a new direction. The shines and 4 dungeons (not sure I count the last place is a dungeon) were pretty weak and the entire experience felt a bit cheapened by the lack of any real feeling of being rewarded (mostly caused by the "breaking weapons" aspect of the game). Also, the story and character development felt like a huge missed opportunity. I loved the storytelling in SS but this game was a complete dud. 

EDIT* Put 80 hrs into it... by far the most I put into any Zelda game. 

Anyone else feel like master mode should be MORE difficult? I think everything should've gotten a DPS/HP buff.

So I think I'm putting the game down. I beat the game just over a week ago and have been exploring the world since. Overall, it's a great game.... but also felt a bit disappointed. I love the Zelda series so I guess there were certain things I was expecting (going through a dungeon, finding that big reward at the end) but I guess the series is headed in a new direction. The shines and 4 dungeons (not sure I count the last place is a dungeon) were pretty weak and the entire experience felt a bit cheapened by the lack of any real feeling of being rewarded (mostly caused by the "breaking weapons" aspect of the game). Also, the story and character development felt like a huge missed opportunity. I loved the storytelling in SS but this game was a complete dud.

EDIT* Put 80 hrs into it... by far the most I put into any Zelda game.
Thanks for your thoughts! Since this game's release I've tried to avoid as much video coverage/reviews. With games or movies that I know I'm going to buy, I try to not spoil as much as possible before seeing it. I've been replaying Skyward Sword on my Wii and enjoying it, but I'd be curious to see how that compares to SS as I agree with you, the dungeon/reward aspects of Zelda are generally some of my favorite.

Thanks for your thoughts! Since this game's release I've tried to avoid as much video coverage/reviews. With games or movies that I know I'm going to buy, I try to not spoil as much as possible before seeing it. I've been replaying Skyward Sword on my Wii and enjoying it, but I'd be curious to see how that compares to SS as I agree with you, the dungeon/reward aspects of Zelda are generally some of my favorite.
I feel like SS's only major weakness were the waggle controls. If it wasn't for the many annoying bits that required waggle, it would have been in the top tier of Zelda games for me.

I was hoping that SS got ported to the Wii U for full HD visuals, but (since that's def not happening) I'm thinking maybe Switch would be better and they couldn't force waggle controls. But I also wonder if anyone will want to go back to the old non-Skyrim Zelda format.

I feel like SS's only major weakness were the waggle controls. If it wasn't for the many annoying bits that required waggle, it would have been in the top tier of Zelda games for me.

I was hoping that SS got ported to the Wii U for full HD visuals, but (since that's def not happening) I'm thinking maybe Switch would be better and they couldn't force waggle controls. But I also wonder if anyone will want to go back to the old non-Skyrim Zelda format.
Hard to say, though so far Nintendo remastered Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, so I wouldn't be too surprised if Skyward Sword gets one on the Switch as well. We can dream!

How much harder is "Master" mode?  I felt that after getting a bunch of hearts and Champion abilities, the game became too easy.  I had no trouble fighting the beast bosses and Ganon.  I think I have more trouble fighting the Lynels than I did those guys.

Hard to say, though so far Nintendo remastered Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, so I wouldn't be too surprised if Skyward Sword gets one on the Switch as well. We can dream!
That would be awesome. I dunno about you guys, but it's really hard for me to go back and enjoy Wii graphics. I'm not even a graphical snob either. But man those games look jagged.

That would be awesome. I dunno about you guys, but it's really hard for me to go back and enjoy Wii graphics. I'm not even a graphical snob either. But man those games look jagged.
I know what you mean, I recently dug up my Wii and have been replaying some of the greats (Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, Metroid Prime Trilogy, House of the Dead Overkill, etc). I'm playing these on a 4k TV, but I was surprised how well the art style holds up on a lot of the Nintendo Wii games. Super the polygon count and resolution leaves a lot to be desired, but the simple charm of Super Mario Galaxy and the bloom lighting and vistas of MP are as impressive today as they were ten years ago. At least to me, just my two cents.

You guys should give Dolphin a try, if you have a moderately powerful gaming PC. I tried it years ago just after the game came out... my rig was on the lower end and struggled with it, but it was a huge setup from Wii visuals. Controls were also kinda funky because motion controls didn't perfectly work (or I screwed up setting it up). I wish I had a gaming rig now because I heard they cleaned it up quite a bit. 

I played through Mario Galaxy 2 for the first time a couple of months ago and was actually quite surprised at how great it looked.  Mario Sunshine, on the other hand, could use an HD remake.  How amazing would it be if they released all the Zelda games for the Switch though?  Portable Zelda is the best Zelda IMO.

bread's done
Back