Zelda/Mario teams working on new projects

Lan_Zer0

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Some interesting news at IGN:

http://wii.ign.com/articles/890/890200p1.html

Nintendo hinted at the Mario/Zelda teams working on new games at the press conference. Here, Miyamoto confirms a new Zelda in the works.

Interesting news, but sounds a long way off.

EDIT: Meh, on second thought, this isn't that interesting at all. I'd be surprised if they weren't working on new games.

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally thought Twilight Princess was quite amazing, but I would welcome another Zelda game. Swinging the Wii-mote for sword functionality is not necessary, and it would be a nice option to not have that. However, should the controller's responsiveness be improved, I could get exuberantly excited. MotionPlus, anyone?

That said, I like the mature style of Twilight Princess, although my heart has a special place for Windwaker. I wouldn't care which style the team returned to, but I, for one, could do with something a little less dark than Twilight Princess. When the game is so heavy and weighted, I have trouble returning to it, whereas Windwaker was a joy.

Considering the virtual absence of information, we can likely figure the next Zelda and Mario core games to be a while from coming.

Personally, I would want something that captures the sense of exploration that the original did so well. All the 3D entries have been a derivation of OoT, and that was the 3D incarnation of ALttP.

Link's Awakening was beautiful though. Hands down favorite Zelda.

Mario Aerobics and Zelda: Ocarina Training CONFIRMED!
j/k, of course

Those sound more like plausible titles than jokes to me.

I fully understand that Nintendo is pretty much blowing off gamers at E3 anymore, but it's still vaguely depressing. Say what you want, but I think the 'gamers' games' will mostly be found early in the Wii's lifecycle when it's all said and done. I'm honestly not sure if we'll see anymore 'next steps' with their 'Holy Trinity', but instead some steps back via WiiWare. Which the zea--I mean, fans--will no doubt love...until they get them, play them, fight off the non-believers, and then they'll pine for 3-D again.

Whatever, though. E3 can officially go away for good after this year. It kind of feels like companies are doing some Weekend at Bernie's shit with its lukewarm corpse.

I kind of hope the next Zelda tries to rip off Okami (more than it did with Twilight Princess). I loved Okami so much, and while I realize that it owes a great deal to Zelda, it just resonated so much more with me than any Zelda game ever did. If I can't have Oka-zelda-mi, then I'm with utopianmachine on this one hoping for something less heavy.

Apparently, IGN has been following Miyamoto around, asking questions about different franchises, and he has been either dropping hints, giving "maybe-maybe not" answers, or flat-out denying it. They have a bunch of different articles on the subject.

[quote name='Miyamoto on Pikmin and New Super Mario Bros. 2']"There isn't anything that we can announce right now, but I'm sure we'll probably do something with it," Miyamoto said of a Wii Pikmin sequel. "The Pikmin team is, of course, still there and maybe we'll have something to talk about before too long." We like the sound of that.

In regard to a new New Super Mario Bros. for DS, Miyamoto tried to throw us off guard with trickery about not being able to announce unfinished projects. "That team is also working hard," he said. "The thing that's difficult is that, as you know, the way we handle our announcement is we work on product and once the product is at a state where we feel it's ready to show to people, then that's when we're willing to talk about it. Which is why it's difficult for me to talk about different projects in interviews. I have a lot of different teams and those teams are all at different points in their experiments or development, so it's typically once they've finalized something that we're able to talk about it. But for me to go into too much detail would be a little bit irresponsible in an interview. All that I can say is that that team is also working."

When we pressed him for more, Miyamoto added, "Maybe the best thing for you to understand is that all of the leaders of those teams -- of the Mario team, of the Zelda team and of the Pikmin team -- all sit within 150 feet of my desk. The Galaxy team is the only one that's farther away -- they're in Tokyo. But I do have video conferencing with them."
[/quote]
[quote name='Miyamoto on Punch-Out!']"The Wii remote itself is good at detecting larger movements whereas the WIi MotionPlus is good at detecting more subtle movements. By combining the two of those, the feeling is that it just opens up the palette of what can be done in terms of motion control," said Miyamoto. "So that means that there is a lot of possibility, whether it's something like a very accurate version of Punch Out! that goes beyond what Wii Sports boxing can do, or even other ideas, I just think there are a lot of different possibilities right now. And just one point of clarification. Punch Out! is just an example. I'm not saying that we're working on that."

Asked whether or not the MotionPlus technology was open to third-party developers yet, Miyamoto said, no, not yet. "We've only just announced it today, and because of that I'm sure we'll start getting many inquires. But the libraries will be in a state that we believe we can pass off to third-parties very soon," he added.[/quote]
[quote name='Miyamoto on Kid Icarus']Miyamoto smiled. "Yeah, I'm not the producer of any Kid Icarus titles," he said coyly. "There are some people who have some different ideas, but since I'm not the producer I can't comment on anything."

When pressed onward, asking him to confirm that Kid Icarus was in development even if he isn't producing it. Miyamoto laughed and reiterated his answer. "I'm not the producer of any Kid Icarus game, so I really can't say anything. Sorry."[/quote]

Miyamoto on Earthbound: "No." (Not an exact quote)

That is fantastic. Miyamoto gives me a gay boner, and I am not gay. But I might switch teams for Miyamoto. Either that or I wish he was my dad. I'm not really sure.

It sounds like MotionPlus is a pretty terrific enhancement to the Wii system. My only concern is how much it will be sold separately, or how much it will be bundled together with Wii Sports Resort. I'm sure MotionPlus won't be backwards compatible with previously released Wii games (or would it?), but if implemented strongly upon release, I can see the Wii gaining some serious ground in motion-technology playing.

ANOTHER Zelda and Mario???? WTF??!!!1

Miyamoto has the internet's permission to kick the IGN guys in the balls next time they badger him for info. Just haul off and take it to their nuts, Shiggy.

:rofl: at whoever tagged this as not news.

It really isn't. Nintendo basically said these people are doing their jobs, but we have nothing to show for it. Here is some crap for you to get your mother excited - a $50 frisbee game to go with your $90 hula hoop game.

bread's done
Back