Zelda TP Game Ending Bugs! Do Not Save in These Two Locations!

foltzie

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
Since these issues are currently game halting issues I will not be hiding them behind spoiler tags, but I will be as vague as possible.

First, once you complete the second dungeon you will leave town and cross a bridge. Part of the bridge will be removed during a cutscene. Do not save and quit until you have entered the next area or your character will respawned on the wrong side of the bridge and be unable to enter the next area.

Secondly, after the fifth sixth dungeon you will encounter a room with a large cannon and during which you will interact with a Non-Player Character. If you save and quit before the NPC leaves the room, when you respawn the NPC will not be loaded. However, when you try to leave the room, or complete the objective, the game will prompt you to address the NPC.

At this time both bugs are inescapable. Your game save will be forfeit if you save and quit in these two locations. Since the second bug affects me*, let this be a lesson that while there is no excuse for mistakes of this nature in a game, its best if you rotate saves if possible.

I have emailed Nintendo about this issue asking for a workaround or a corrected disc, since the bug is with the game and not the save itself.

*Note: Since someone will ask why I saved in one of the two lucky spots, as it was clearly during the middle of an objective, I have two responses. The first being that it shouldn’t matter where I save and quit, testing should catch this kind of bug as it is one of the most likely to occur in any game. Secondly, I was tired and since I wasn’t reading spoilers so I didn’t know of the issue.

EDIT: Youtube video of the second glitch, minor spoilers.

[quote name='6669']Are there multiple save slots in the game?[/QUOTE]

3 and of course you could move the Zelda game save off of the Wii onto a SD card to act as second backup, but thats overkill and a bit of a pain.

[quote name='foltzie']3 and of course you could move the Zelda game save off of the Wii onto a SD card to act as second backup, but thats overkill and a bit of a pain.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I'll probably just rotate my saves towards the end.

a thought to the op. in another forum i saw it was suggested to load the broken save, then kill yourself with bombs. maybe that could fix things?

Thanks for the heads up

Which one is the fifth dungeon? I haven't been counting the dungeons.

[quote name='icyjones']a thought to the op. in another forum i saw it was suggested to load the broken save, then kill yourself with bombs. maybe that could fix things?[/QUOTE]

Already tried that, it was the first thing I thought about since it would force a reload. Additionally I tried all status or perception altering items too.

[quote name='Apossum']Thanks for the heads up

Which one is the fifth dungeon? I haven't been counting the dungeons.[/QUOTE]

Its actually the sixth, and its
Temple of Time dungeon, but before the Sky Dungeon
. The cannon is a big event, and you really cant miss it...

Well thanks for the ehad's up, even though I usually never save until I've finished up all loose ends. Otherwise, I would easily forget what I had to do. But thanks anyways.

Prince of Persia:Sands of Time had something like this too, that screwed the game for good. It erased a block that you had to push into a hole, so that there was no way to move on. Luckily I had another save on that one, but I still ran around for 2 hours trying to figure out what to do(I figured I'd missed something. Just loaded an old save and got back there, and the block was there the next time.

I've got the game but not the Wii yet, so thanks for the heads up.

I've been backing up my saves periodically to an SD card but I have only been using one save within the game. Thanks for the heads up, I will begin rotating them as well.

I always rotate between two saves anyway (one for overworld shit, one for dungeons), so I probably would've been fine, but thanks for the info, I haven't gotten to the second one yet.

As long as we're on the subject, back up all your saves for all games before doing a firmware update. A corrupt firmware copies unusable crap to your SD card that a fresh machine from Nintendo won't use.

Not apologizing for crappy code here, but those are some really odd places to just save and quit all of a sudden. Regardless, Nintendo is known for their quality and this isn't good for that image.

[quote name='daroga'] A corrupt firmware copies unusable crap to your SD card that a fresh machine from Nintendo won't use.[/QUOTE]
How much crap? Enough to warrant formatting the SD card after a firmware update if we didn't remove the SC card beforehand?

[quote name='dothog']How much crap? Enough to warrant formatting the SD card after a firmware update if we didn't remove the SC card beforehand?[/quote]If you have firmware go corrupt on you during an update, the savedgames you copy to the SD card after that will be worthless because they won't work in a properly working system.

Got a response from Nintendo and I must admit I'm rather disapointed.

Hello,

Unfortunately, you have encountered a known quirk in The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, one for which we do not have a workaround or fix. The only option for you is to start over. You have my deepest sympathy.

Sincerely,
Nintendo of America Inc.
David M

Bugs of this caliber are 100% unacceptable. I've lost a good bit of respect for Nintendo at this point.

Thank you very much for these warnings. I'm one to just randomly save at unfinished points (I tend to play games for 10-20 minute spurts, then move on to another game, regardless of my position in a game)...so I'll have to watch out for these moments in the game.

The 2nd save glitch with the Cannon is only valid for the Wii version...it was fixed in the GC version. Not sure about the first one, but I'm guessing that's fixed as well for GC. So mainly these warnings are for the Wii version (Even though its posted in the Wii section, some people might not know this)

[quote name='Spades22']The 2nd save glitch with the Cannon is only valid for the Wii version...it was fixed in the GC version. Not sure about the first one, but I'm guessing that's fixed as well for GC. So mainly these warnings are for the Wii version (Even though its posted in the Wii section, some people might not know this)[/quote]

how do you know for sure that it is only in the Wii version and that they fixed it for the Cube version??

Well people have tried it on the GC version by saving at that part and you could still play fine after you saved there. I haven't actually tried it myself, but people have been writing about it...so I'm not 100% sure... but theres a darn good chance.

i just played twight light princess and reached a point where I recall reading this post before.
I searched for this thread and made sure not to save before the NPC leaves the room. Thank you again OP!!

I heard about these glitches but didn't really pay attention...I still was lucky and nothing happened though, just beat the game...for those that have finished the game, I'd like to think that
Link, Midna and Zelda had a threesome after Link defeated Ganondorf.

lol a friend of mine discovered the cannon room glitch. Waited a few weeks for a patch, gave up, and restarted the entire game. No idea how anybody could let glitches this huge get through... they're pretty much the worst glitches you could imagine without shit blowing up. Get 9/10 of the way through a game and have to restart.

[quote name='zewone']Don't save and quit.[/quote]

Ok, thanks.

I need to write this down and put it in the case or something because I'll probably forget.

That's why i always make two save files and after every game session i alternate saves, like that if something goes wrong you only loose one gaming session and you have the other as a backup !

Wow. Really sorry to hear about your save, OP.

I'm right before the end of the game. Just gotta pick up one more heart container and then the only other thing I haven't done is find all the Poe's. (I don't think I'm going to do that!)

This is the kind of thing I'm always afraid of in games with a 'save anywhere' feature. I'm really surprised Nintendo let these ones get past, as they're usually the best about putting out "glitch-free" products.

Nintendo is replacing copies of Zelda: Twilight Princess that had the sky cannon bug.

It's a slow news day, and the bug that we're going to talk about was first reported last year, but maybe this'll help all those who have stopped playing The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess because of that blasted sky cannon bug. While there have been a few workarounds for the said bug, most of them involved dumb luck. Stephen Munn from Aeropause has come across a better remedy: get your Twilight Princess disc replaced.

Munn reports that Nintendo is replacing broken launch copies of Twilight Princess that had the bug in them on request. All you have to do is contact Nintendo of America, send them a letter explaining the issue and how you encountered it, and mail the letter along with the buggy game disc (just the disc, no case).

Best of all? You don't even need to restart the game. Shad will be there when you play the new disk. Munn also says that according to Nintendo, the replacement disc will also resolve the issue in games that are stuck because of it. If you've encountered the bug and want to get on with your Twilight Princess adventure, here's the Nintendo of America address:

NINTENDO OF AMERICA
ATTN: CS ADMIN
4900 150TH AVE NE
REDMOND WA 98052-5171

http://wii.qj.net/Nintendo-replacing-buggy-Twilight-Princess-discs/pg/49/aid/88806

i kinda notice this would happen since my first dungeon task... i defeated the baboon to get the boomerang and i saved and quit (gotta do other stuffs, i love to continue playing, but can't do). When i restarted the save, i was outside of the temple. WTF? Not only makes no sense, but i didn't even do the boomerang wind thing to open up the cave door (no spoilers here, it's still tutorial stuffs here).

So, note to self, try not to save/quit in the dungeon area too much... agree, bugs of this caliber is bad, really bad, shame on you Nintendo! And not able to fix this via patches (you could get this in the mail) or download is equally bad... Yeah, take my risk to get a replacement... i only did that with the WB's superman collector edition screw up, but that's b/c i care less for the screwed up discs (not in this case).

Is there any way to tell if you have the fixed discs already, or is Nintendo still only shipping the original version. My gf just bought Zelda for me and I don't want to start playing the buggy version.

Hmmm, good question, i don't really know... Come to think of it, it's not that of a big pain in the ass, as long as you rotate the saves, you should be okay. I wrote down where i have to becareful and that's pretty much it. If i do get stuck, oh well, do over from a previous save. Of course, it sucks... but what you can do?

Perhaps the bar code on the game is different?

bread's done
Back