Zellers Boxing Week sale

jlaking

CAGiversary!
Nintendo DS with New Super Mario Bros. $129.96 (save $50)
X-Box 360 Pro 60 $269.99*
X-Box 360 Elite $369.99*
* comes with a FREE Platium Hits game of your choice
Purchase any PS3, PS2 or PSP and receive a Greatest Hits title FREE
50% off all Sony NBA and MLB titles for PS3, PS2 or PSP (note: Motor Storm Pacific Rift is pictured)
Save $20 off Sanints Row 2 or Smackdown vs. Raw 2009 (all systems)
19.98 for both Rainbow 6 Las Vegas & Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter for X-Box 360
34.98 for both Rayman Raving Rabbids 1 & 2 for Wii

So it's R6:V AND GR:AW for $20? That ain't bad! I have R6 and GR2 for PS3, but I cannot in good conscious play a shooter on a PS3, save the exclusives.

[quote name='game_fanatic']So it's R6:V AND GR:AW for $20? That ain't bad! I have R6 and GR2 for PS3, but I cannot in good conscious play a shooter on a PS3, save the exclusives.[/QUOTE]

Yes

Not boxing day or anything, but Eternal Sonata 360 was $19.99 at Zellers. Not sure if that's the standard anymore, but a good price!

[quote name='heimdal']There's nothing good anyway.

Plus we benefit more from them than they do from us.[/quote]

Still, copy and pasting is WRONG!

[quote name='gamer602']Still, copy and pasting is WRONG![/quote]
We do it all the time...the guy gave credit to CAG, what more do you want?

[quote name='game_fanatic']We do it all the time...the guy gave credit to CAG, what more do you want?[/quote]

a steady commitment to CAG? ;)

well, they are decent, so im not complaining.

[quote name='Bencherstyle']hmmm interested in the Nintendo Ds but i can get it for 80 just for the ds.... so ill wait on that.

thanks![/quote]

Just make sure you get New Super Mario Bros. after you get a DS. One of the best DS games ever.

[quote name='Bencherstyle']hmmm interested in the Nintendo Ds but i can get it for 80 just for the ds.... so ill wait on that.

thanks![/quote]

But you don't get Club Nintendo points.

[quote name='Lone_Prodigy']But you don't get Club Nintendo points.[/quote]

screw Club nintendo, i have money!. ...

wait hold on, if i have money, why am i on this site :p

[quote name='Firestorm']Ok, I thought people knew this but we've had quite a few new members: if you post a CAG deal on RFD, do not mention CAG.[/quote]

didnt know that, but why is that?

[quote name='Firestorm']Ok, I thought people knew this but we've had quite a few new members: if you post a CAG deal on RFD, do not mention CAG.[/quote]
Is the guy who posted this particular deal from CAG?

I wonder how many hoarders from Rfd are now on CAG...

We simply want to keep greedy people away from CAG... They need find this site from a source other than hoarderville!

[quote name='gamer602']I wonder how many hoarders from Rfd are now on CAG...

We simply want to keep greedy people away from CAG... They need find this site from a source other than hoarderville![/quote]
As far we know, hoarders have been lurking on CAG for quite some time. If they spend a lot of time and effort hoarding, they obviously check out RFD/CAG/SlickDeals/whatever other deal websites there are. Especially given the fact that it's much easier to sift through the "hoardable " deals. It's inevitable.

Exactly why it this forum should be viewable to registered users only and maybe have inactive accounts pruned every couple of months.

Or actually... instead of pruning them you could have it so that if they don't have a high enough post ratio/day (lets say 0.25 - a post every 4 days) then their accounts get set to "inactive" by the system but that info remains invisible to the user and they only get to see-say-every fourth thread from the main forum page starting with the fourth from the first. If I weren't so busy over the school year I'd be willing to try and program that for CAG. Maybe during the summer?

Then we'd get more inside people who work at WalMart, Toys R Us, TSCC (if they are still alive). Man, it'd be a Canadian CAG's utopia I tell ya!

[quote name='dark5']Exactly why it this forum should be viewable to registered users only and maybe have inactive accounts pruned every couple of months.

Or actually... instead of pruning them you could have it so that if they don't have a high enough post ratio/day (lets say 0.25 - a post every 4 days) then their accounts get set to "inactive" by the system but that info remains invisible to the user and they only get to see-say-every fourth thread from the main forum page starting with the fourth from the first. If I weren't so busy over the school year I'd be willing to try and program that for CAG. Maybe during the summer?

Then we'd get more inside people who work at WalMart, Toys R Us, TSCC (if they are still alive). Man, it'd be a Canadian CAG's utopia I tell ya![/quote]
Sounds like a great idea, fundamentally, but the problem with the post-count system is if we set a number that people have to attain, there might be a lot more thread-crapping. There would have to be constant moderating and whatnot to prevent such behaviour, but I'd be all for it.

[quote name='game_fanatic']Sounds like a great idea, fundamentally, but the problem with the post-count system is if we set a number that people have to attain, there might be a lot more thread-crapping. There would have to be constant moderating and whatnot to prevent such behaviour, but I'd be all for it.[/quote]

+1

I did it to prove a point, okay? Don't ban me for spamming please.

[quote name='game_fanatic']We do it all the time...the guy gave credit to CAG, what more do you want?[/QUOTE]

Credit to the person who posted this. :D

Rather than an automatically moderated system which can be easily abused, it would be better to human-moderate users. Anyone who is a (for lack of a better term) "good" user gets an attribute added to their account. Then make the deals forum invisible to anyone without that attribute. It's all perfectly supported by the software. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a "web of trust" feature. Anyone who is a "good" member can give the flag to someone who isn't. (Ideally, that second member couldn't give the flag until they too achieve "good" standing).

The delicate balance here is that CAG is all about letting gamers know about deals. This information, to this point, has been public, benefiting all. Unfortunately hoarders are members of the public. The only way to cut them off is to cut off the public. Is the benefit of having a private, moderated forum greater than the risk of losing the support, viewership and input of the public?

What if any deal more than 1 day old gets moved from the private to the public forum? It would let a CAG member get the game or two they want without impedance, and then would let the public rip it apart the next day.

The public should be encouraged to submit and share deals in the public forum. It has to be assumed that any deal posted there will be hoarded-- and also that it is public knowledge available at any other site. It would serve as a "proving ground" more than anything else.

Oh yeah, and if you ever wanted to weed out any leaks from the public site, that's pretty easy. Create a custom plug-in that will insert a random error or two into a "seeded" deal (change the penny value, drop a vowel, etc). Each error is unique per account. Then if a private deal shows up on another site, just run the errors through the error detector, and it will let you know which account leaked it. It will catch anyone who copy&paste it.

[quote name='halcyon1234']Rather than an automatically moderated system which can be easily abused, it would be better to human-moderate users. Anyone who is a (for lack of a better term) "good" user gets an attribute added to their account. Then make the deals forum invisible to anyone without that attribute. It's all perfectly supported by the software. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a "web of trust" feature. Anyone who is a "good" member can give the flag to someone who isn't. (Ideally, that second member couldn't give the flag until they too achieve "good" standing).

The delicate balance here is that CAG is all about letting gamers know about deals. This information, to this point, has been public, benefiting all. Unfortunately hoarders are members of the public. The only way to cut them off is to cut off the public. Is the benefit of having a private, moderated forum greater than the risk of losing the support, viewership and input of the public?

What if any deal more than 1 day old gets moved from the private to the public forum? It would let a CAG member get the game or two they want without impedance, and then would let the public rip it apart the next day.

The public should be encouraged to submit and share deals in the public forum. It has to be assumed that any deal posted there will be hoarded-- and also that it is public knowledge available at any other site. It would serve as a "proving ground" more than anything else.

Oh yeah, and if you ever wanted to weed out any leaks from the public site, that's pretty easy. Create a custom plug-in that will insert a random error or two into a "seeded" deal (change the penny value, drop a vowel, etc). Each error is unique per account. Then if a private deal shows up on another site, just run the errors through the error detector, and it will let you know which account leaked it. It will catch anyone who copy&paste it.[/quote]

i understand what you're saying, and yes, people hoarding stuff sucks, but the reality is that these sales and deals are public sales and deals. i would very much doubt that guarding information that is posted here would stop them from being posted on rfd.

making it a private forum, viewable to anyone who signs up, i can see being fine, but anything else seems like it'd hurt the cag community more than it would help it. if people want to sign up just to check the forum every other day to see what deals are happening that particular week, i say so be it.

also, i don't think there's a good way to define 'good' user. i mean, if someone comes here every day, but posts once every two or three weeks, yet never posts things on rfd and never buys more than one copy of a game that's on sale, are they a good or bad user? they're not contributing really at all, but i'd say they're using the forum as it's intended in my opinion.

i think there's a really good community here, and everyone seems to look out for other people's best interests. i think a move to make this community more exclusive is unnecessary. sure, there are probably some people who sign up just to read the threads and in turn, they maybe hoard stuff or post on rfd (the latter i don't see as a problem because a ton of rfd deals are posted there first and then posted here), but i would guess that's a very low percentage of members, probably in the 1-2% range.

sorry, that got a lot longer than i intended...just my 2 cents.

If hoarders register just to view the hidden deal areas, chances are that they still won't say anything on the forums and just lurk around, which is just what they were doing before, except now with a user name.

A possible solution to this problem would be to show "users viewing thread" or "users viewing forum" to easily pick out the lurkers.

The issue is that it's impossible to differentiate a lurker from a hoarder. Either we resign to that fact, or remove all lurkers from the mix. I can't see much else of a solution. And as matty excellently points out, taking information away from the public will be more harmful to the CAG community than beneficial. (I know a year ago I wouldn't have stuck around if it was all locked down with no deals to be found)

this thread is getting a little bit big brother lol. there isnt much you can do about hoarders. they're public sales and these are public forums.

bread's done
Back