Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward 3DS - 37.99

Been looking for a good price in this for a while and it is tough. I think I'm going to buy the Vita version on psn for 35, but appreciate the effort!

The 3DS version of this is much worse than the Vita. I enjoy the 3DS library much more than the Vita's but there is no excuse for getting the 3DS version of this game over the Vita if you have the option.

3DS
+ stylus controls are excellent
+ can view menu/notes on bottom screen at the same time as viewing the top screen

- a very common game breaking glitch that corrupts your save file
- only 1 save slot so the glitch really hurts when it happens
- compressed audio (very noticeable with the voices)
- framerate suffers when moving around rooms too fast
- must view unskippable credits scene 14 times before getting to the true end
- one ink color for the notes option
- intrusive scan line filter on the bottom screen, which is the one you will be looking at most of the time while in puzzle sections

Vita
+ high resolution visuals
+ higher quality audio
+ 3 ink colors for the notepad
+ 3 save slots
+ smooth framerate always
+ can skip credits scene after viewing it for the first time
+ large, unobstructed screen (no scan lines) to interact with during all parts of the game

- default finger touch controls are worse than using a stylus on the 3DS (can be remedied by buying a $2 capacitive stylus)
- cannot view menu at the same time as the whole screen

Read more about the save corrupting bug here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=497204
It was a problem in the Japanese version which came out over a year ago as well and was never patched. Aksys has been made aware of the situation but has been silent for over a month.

[quote name='Kaiser499']I heard the 3DS version has a lot of problems, can't vouch for myself though since I have the Vita version.[/QUOTE]

Yeah.. I've got the 3DS version and I've had the game actually freeze on me twice. There's supposedly a save glitch too that corrupts your saved data, but I haven't encountered it yet. The game is well worth picking up though, if you're into deep story plot and solving puzzles. Just be prepared to play those same puzzles over again, as you have to go through the game several times to get various endings.

I have and beat the 3DS version and completely enjoyed the game. The game did freeze on me three times though, but I was lucky and my saves were never corrupted. However, I did read that it happens pretty often in one certain room, but it's impossible to know that without going online first. If the vita version does not have this problem, I'd recommend the latter just so you don't risk losing hours of hard work :(

[quote name='TJKitsune']Yeah.. I've got the 3DS version and I've had the game actually freeze on me twice. There's supposedly a save glitch too that corrupts your saved data, but I haven't encountered it yet. The game is well worth picking up though, if you're into deep story plot and solving puzzles. Just be prepared to play those same puzzles over again, as you have to go through the game several times to get various endings.[/QUOTE]Actually you can get to the true ending without repeating any puzzle at all this time thanks to the flowchart function which lets you skip around. The only reason you would want to repeat a room would be to redo it on hard, since the final scenes are only available once you complete each escape segment on hard.

bread's done
Back