Zombie books

Dragonsbane

CAGiversary!
Feedback
40 (100%)
I have had the max brooks zombie novels for a while now and I was wondering if any of the cags had any other favs among zombie books, Im looking for more, any opinion appreciated.

I am Legend, by Richard Matheson. Although I think technically they are vampires. It was basically the basis for night of the living dead.

[quote name='rodeojones903']The Walking Dead.[/quote]
Good stuff, I don't read comics but I read this series! This reminds me I gotta get back up to date on the series last issue I read was around 25 and they are in the 40s! :bomb:

Well if anyone likes the resident evil franchise like I do then I'd recommend the scifi novels by S.D. Perry. She did novelizations of all the resident evil games plus a couple of her own branching stories. I personally liked Caliban Cove as it added a whole new angle to the T-Virus Infection.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/p/s-d-perry/

as for zombie books in general, I highly recommend 'The Rising' by Brian Keene. really good stuff. It even has zombie animals. His followup novel City of the Dead wasnt as great but it was still a good read too

The Walking Dead is the best comic format Zombie book. Another pretty good comic was the Blask Gas mini by Warren ellis

World War Z and I am legend are also must reads as mentioned

[quote name='Dragonsbane']Anyone heard anything on the day by day Armageddon book?[/QUOTE]

its pretty good, its written in journal format, so you follow the guy on a day by day account. a different twist on the genre. i think the guy who wrote it is military so he uses a lot of the jargon

Monster Island, especially if you're familiar with New York landmarks. The sequels, Monster Nation and Monster Planet, pretty much suck the big one, though.

this is not a 'novel' but it is a fun zombie read - "The Zombie Survival Guide." Pretty much a parody on a survival guide with a zombie twist. It even has a few short stories towards the end about outbreaks that have already occurred but kept under raps. Fun book to read but not if your looking for a more serious look at a zombie story.

world war z im reading now, its awesome
OP, i highly recommend "dead city" i forgot the author, but its an amazing book, real page turner!
i also have i am legend which i plan on reading right after WWZ :)

[quote name='red flare graf']Cell was pretty good, I thought. The Walking Dead takes way too long for shit to happen.[/QUOTE]

Cell started out awesome, it had so much potential. Really the first 3/4 of the book are amazing, but King just fubared the end, its like he didnt know how to wrap it up. Still a recommended read despite its shortcomings

[quote name='phantom2k2']this is not a 'novel' but it is a fun zombie read - "The Zombie Survival Guide." Pretty much a parody on a survival guide with a zombie twist. It even has a few short stories towards the end about outbreaks that have already occurred but kept under raps. Fun book to read but not if your looking for a more serious look at a zombie story.[/QUOTE]

I love this book. After reading it, it actually makes you think you could have a chance to survive if a zombie outbreak were to occur.

[quote name='GBmanNC']I am Legend, by Richard Matheson. Although I think technically they are vampires. It was basically the basis for night of the living dead.[/quote]

Ditto on this. Amazing book. They are vampires, but they don't act like your traditional vampire. Read it before the movie staring Will Smith comes out.... blah.

THANK YOU!

I remember seeing a movie starring Vincent Price that was like that. I thought it was a great flick, and I couldn't for the life of my figure out the name of it.

Now I'll have to read the book that the film is loosely based on. :D

Edit: And the film was "The Last Man on Earth", in case anyone is wondering.

[quote name='yukine']THANK YOU!

I remember seeing a movie starring Vincent Price that was like that. I thought it was a great flick, and I couldn't for the life of my figure out the name of it.

Now I'll have to read the book that the film is loosely based on. :D

Edit: And the film was "The Last Man on Earth", in case anyone is wondering.[/quote]

Yep, and also Charleton Heston starred in another loosely adapted version of I Am Legend, which is a cult classic - The Omega Man. They were going to have a remake 10 years ago or so, with Arnold playing the role. But now we have this new rendition coming with Will Smith.

If you're looking for a new twist on Zombies, check out of the Xombie series: www.xombified.com. The first arc is about a sentient zombie named Dirge trying to return a 6-year old girl named Zoe to her family in a post-apocalyptic, zombie-infested world.

The full story is told in Xombie: Dead on Arrival, but you can get the overall story in a series of 10 Flash Animations on the website. Awesome, creative stuff.

The second arc is told in 6 Comic Books (Xombie: Reanimated), and takes place about 10 years after the first arc.

I highly recommend it, it's good stuff in the Zombie genre. Aside from that, I also recommend the Resident Evil novels by S.D. Perry, and many hours of Dead Rising on the 360.

~HotShotX

I'm going to pick up a few zombie books myself now that I've read this thread. I'll start off with WWZ and I am Legend. Anyone agree these are the best zombie novels posted in this thread so far?

[quote name='Plac1d']I'm going to pick up a few zombie books myself now that I've read this thread. I'll start off with WWZ and I am Legend. Anyone agree these are the best zombie novels posted in this thread so far?[/QUOTE]

I'd say so, with the reminder that I am Legend is really about vampires. Well, it's really "about" the day to day business of the last man on earth trying to stay safe and sane, but still: vampires, not zombies.

I Am Legend were only vampires in the no sunlight rule, they were more like infected people who were a little more social than the 28 days later infected, at least in the Heston movie. The smith one is gonna suck.

The Rising and City of the Dead by Brian Keene are both good. They do not have the basic Night of the Living Dead zombies, but it's still good.

[quote name='jputahraptor']I Am Legend were only vampires in the no sunlight rule, they were more like infected people who were a little more social than the 28 days later infected, at least in the Heston movie. The smith one is gonna suck.[/QUOTE]

In Heston's "The Omega Man," they were sun-fearing mutants. In the book, they're vampires. Sunlight, wooden stakes, garlic -- the whole bit.

I don't have high hopes for the Wil Smith version, but it's not like "The Omega Man" was particularly good, or true to the novel, either.

bread's done
Back