Final Fantasy 7: Is something WRONG with me?

Trusty Mutsi

CAGiversary!
Feedback
31 (100%)
Last night I looked at my old September 1997 issue of Gamefan, where FF7 got all 100+ scores. I never DID finish FF7, and I bought it 2 different times, and never finished it. The first time I never even got to the 2nd disc. The 2nd try I got to the 2nd disc, but just got tired of it. Maybe if I buy it a 3rd time I'll make it to the 3rd disc?

After reading all the love poeple have had for this game, it makes me wonder if I missed something truly special because I let a slow part of the game dissuade me, or if the game's just not my cup of tea. It's strange because my bro-in-law got my Chrono Cross a long time ago, and I wondered what he was thinking, since he knew I didn't like turn based RPGs much. I think he was trying to turn me. Well, I surprisingly liked it a lot. So maybe it's time to go back to FF7.

Whaddya think? Is it worth me giving it a 3rd try?

It is a little overrated. I think people say it's so great because it was their first RPG. FF8 was my first and is my favorite, but many others will disagree. FF7 was maybe my 8th or 10th RPG and I wasn't really impressed.

Don't worry about your lack of interest.

Not really. The only reason why I liked it so much was the fact that it was 1997 and I've never seen a FF Like it before. The Graphics were amazing. Now the game looks semi ugly. I say wait til they remake it if they ever do.

^^^Yea it was my first RPG for PSone. My first RPG was Breath of Fire for SNES but my favorite RPG was FF6 or FF# USA SNES. Great Game.

It was great for its time for old and new RPG gamers because it was the first real JRPG that had fully rendered cutscenes. Looking back, a lot of people still love it due to nostalgia. I've tried to replay it and always get bored. The story is a little slow IMO until you get around 10 or so hours into it. Also, the translation is piss-poor by todays standards and the graphics are pretty horrible.

FF7's graphics certainly haven't aged well. Making an epic-scale rpg when 3D graphics were pretty much in their embryonic stage was a valiant effort by Square, but today I find them downright ugly. The battles look a little better, but running around towns is just hideous with Cloud and his giant club hands. I find FFT's much less ambitious graphics to have aged much better.

I still really love the game...I've played it through probably 3 times in the last 5 years, and it's still got tons of depth and fun to it. The soundtrack is still a good one, and some of the CG cutscenes are still fabulous (particularly any of the WEAPON scenes).

If they ever do remake it with updated looks, i'll go back and get it again. My biased opinion definitely suggests trying it again, but if you didn't like it the first two times for reasons based in the gameplay or the story, you probably won't like it the third time

My thought is that you are not a RPG fan. Don't even try to play it again.
Stick with the games without a story.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']It was great for its time for old and new RPG gamers because it was the first real JRPG that had fully rendered cutscenes. Looking back, a lot of people still love it due to nostalgia. I've tried to replay it and always get bored. The story is a little slow IMO until you get around 10 or so hours into it. Also, the translation is piss-poor by todays standards and the graphics are pretty horrible.[/QUOTE]

Seconded. This sums feelings on the subject nicely.

[quote name='gcurbelo']My thought is that you are not a RPG fan. Don't even try to play it again.
Stick with the games without a story.[/QUOTE]

Well, I have enjoyed Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Morrowind, and Grandia. And I know I really like games with stories, so I don't think that's it.

I do know that turn based battle systems turn me off if I play for too long. The trick for me is probably to take a break from RPGs for a few weeks when I'm tired of the repeptative battles. I always seem to EVENTUALLY be in the mood for an RPG again, once I'm away from them.

i love this game. it was my first RPG and really made me realized that i like turn-based RPGs. it has really biased my opinion of any turn based RPG game honestly since i really seem to enjoy only Square RPGs. and all this even though i never completed it. the first time i got it, my aunt bought it and didnt like it and gave it to me. i got to the end of the first disc and got stuck and gave up on it (i was about 12 at the time). years later i traded it to a friend for Kingdom Hearts and almost instantly wanted to play it again. so after i finished Kingdom Hearts (another one of my favorite Square series). i then bought FF7 again and played it like twice and left it to collect dust. i recently picked it up again got halfway throught the first disc and then stopped playing it when i bought my Wii. and now two weeks ago, i downgraded my PSP to play it on there and am determined to finish it.

so personally i would buy it again, but im very biased towards it. if u just didnt have fun wit it then dont buy it again. i always stopped because i either got stuck or bought a new game. so if it aint fun to u, dont waste ur money.

I think it was a "had to be there" thing. When it came out, it was the hottest shit ever. You could pop it in and everyone would sit there glued to the TV screen for as long as you played. The gameplay was pretty straightforward, the graphics were great, it had a very cinematic presentation, with a full plot and relatively developed characters, and for that, it attracted many new RPG fans.

if you didn't play it then, you aren't going to get that same feeling that everyone else remembers, which is where the insane amount of hype comes from. Underneath that, it's just another solid FF game, with a good story, so it's still pretty enjoyable.

[quote name='Apossum']I think it was a "had to be there" thing. When it came out, it was the hottest shit ever. You could pop it in and everyone would sit there glued to the TV screen for as long as you played. The gameplay was pretty straightforward, the graphics were great, it had a very cinematic presentation, with a full plot and relatively developed characters, and for that, it attracted many new RPG fans.

if you didn't play it then, you aren't going to get that same feeling that everyone else remembers, which is where the insane amount of hype comes from. Underneath that, it's just another solid FF game, with a good story, so it's still pretty enjoyable.[/QUOTE]

Heh, I WAS there:) Got it day 1. I REALLY did like it then, but I have a horrible habit of getting rid of games as soon as I get bored with them, and then miss them a month or two later. I just need to learn to put games aside, knowing that I will PROBABLY want to play again.

if you have it lying around just pop it in and see if you get into it. but like everyone has said a lot of people love it (myself included) because it was one of the first big next gen rpgs and for a lot of people their first rpg period. it really gave sony an edge that generation and essentially paved the road for rpgs to become the mainstream genre they are today.

[quote name='Trusty Mutsi']Well, I have enjoyed Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Morrowind, and Grandia. And I know I really like games with stories, so I don't think that's it.

I do know that turn based battle systems turn me off if I play for too long. The trick for me is probably to take a break from RPGs for a few weeks when I'm tired of the repeptative battles. I always seem to EVENTUALLY be in the mood for an RPG again, once I'm away from them.[/QUOTE]

All great games ... Time based games is a japanese style for RPG's ... It is a flavor that is acquired and can get old if you play too many in a row. I think the hardest part to RPG's like Final fantasy is leveling up. It would be nice to be able to progress through the story without having to level up for 20 hours.
You can always play another game while putting in a few hours into FFVII.

[quote name='Trusty Mutsi']Heh, I WAS there:) Got it day 1. I REALLY did like it then, but I have a horrible habit of getting rid of games as soon as I get bored with them, and then miss them a month or two later. I just need to learn to put games aside, knowing that I will PROBABLY want to play again.[/QUOTE]

oh, well, then maybe you just don't like the game. it's nothing to be ashamed of :lol:

[quote name='Trusty Mutsi']Last night I looked at my old September 1997 issue of Gamefan, where FF7 got all 100+ scores. I never DID finish FF7, and I bought it 2 different times, and never finished it. The first time I never even got to the 2nd disc. The 2nd try I got to the 2nd disc, but just got tired of it. Maybe if I buy it a 3rd time I'll make it to the 3rd disc?

After reading all the love poeple have had for this game, it makes me wonder if I missed something truly special because I let a slow part of the game dissuade me, or if the game's just not my cup of tea. It's strange because my bro-in-law got my Chrono Cross a long time ago, and I wondered what he was thinking, since he knew I didn't like turn based RPGs much. I think he was trying to turn me. Well, I surprisingly liked it a lot. So maybe it's time to go back to FF7.

Whaddya think? Is it worth me giving it a 3rd try?[/quote]

im in the same boat you are i never finished it and i want to . i keep hoping they will remake it with updated graphics and what not but i doubt that will happen anytime soon so im gonna pick me up a copy if i can find an original version of it. the only reason i didnt bother to finish it was because id gotten pretty far into the game but i had so many ff7 saves on my memory cards i went about organizing them and erasing the ones i didnt need and like a dumbass i erased the wrong one and all of my other saves were too far back into the game.

id gotten up to the submarine level where you can fight that emerald giant thing underwater( i dunno how far that is in the game) and i just didnt have the heart to start from the beginning again. man that game still has the coolest freaking summons ever. knights of the round ruled. i did however beat FF8. and i wouldnt mind playing FF9.

Final Fantasy 9 and 10 are the best in the series IMO, but 6 7 and 8 are all good too.

I suspect 7 would look really ugly to me now too, but you can't underestimate it's importance. It did two immense things. For one, it brought millions more gamers into RPGs, and is possibly the big reason we have so many now. And it also completely changed how we thought RPGs could look. It was one of the most ambitious games released up to that point on any platform.

I remember staying up until 3, 4 in the morning multiple days in a row.

Geez, Castlevania Symphony of the Night and Final Fantasy 7 at the same time :D

The biggest thing I'd like is a better translation. It was pretty rough at the time, and would probably seem even worse now.

The worst I could say about it at the time is that is used basically the exact same "system" as Final Fantasy 6-just tweaked slightly. But it was a great system, so no real complaint there.

FF7 threads always amuse me because it seems like I'm the only person who played it on PC; everyone else always associates it with the PS1. Luckily I thought FF8 sucked (also on PC), so Square/Sony didn't manage to suck me into the modern FF obsession.

More on topic, I really enjoyed FF7 (even though the other half dozen people in existance who played it on PC seem to have encountered game-killing errors) but it didn't have the same draw as FF3/6. It was sort of the beginning of the end of Final Fantasy for me (see FF8 comment above).

Final Fantasy VII wasn't anywhere near my first RPG (that would be Dragon Warrior) and I wasn't interested in playing it because of the graphics, cinemas or other new technology implemented. I've always thought that it was just a great game. It was/is fun to play and I like the characters and story. I remember pre-ordering it based on my love of the previous few Final Fantasy games I had played(I,IV,VI), hoping for a similar experience with VII. Once I had it, I don't think I played anything else for at least a couple of months. Due to a cheap memory card, I lost a couple saves of over 40 hours, but still came back for more(after buying a new card).

IMO you did miss something special, but as long as you aren't afraid of dated graphics it isn't too late to try playing through it again.

[quote name='botticus']FF7 threads always amuse me because it seems like I'm the only person who played it on PC; everyone else always associates it with the PS1. [/quote]

I bought it for PC for the better graphics after beating it on the Playstation, but it was really poorly coded I thought. I couldn't get it to run right on my hardware of the time.

Luckily I thought FF8 sucked (also on PC), so Square/Sony didn't manage to suck me into the modern FF obsession.

FF8 is harder to get into, and IMO not as good of a game. It's still good though once you get used to the "system" it uses. I had given up once years ago, and only started again a year or two back after my brother ordered me to :D

More on topic, I really enjoyed FF7 (even though the other half dozen people in existance who played it on PC seem to have encountered game-killing errors) but it didn't have the same draw as FF3/6. It was sort of the beginning of the end of Final Fantasy for me (see FF8 comment above).

For me, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10 all have the same kind of draw in terms of story and game systems. 8 less than the others, but still. Those 5 games are what I think of as the modern Final Fantasy. I'm hoping Lost Odyssey can duplicate that (or heck, surpass it!)

The game goes to cliche RPG crap once you get out of Midgar and finish the Namco motorcycle minigame.

The highpoint of the game is the Wall Market segment, luckily that is experienced less than 10 hours in! You have restaurants, seedy hotels, sex clubs, and a gym full of flamboyant body builders that you must visit to find a gorgeous outfit to be recognized as a woman. When you are able to get the best outfit (through alot of hard work and squats), the moment that happens in Don Corneo's brothel is just glorious.

All you really need to play is Disc 1, the rest is just pointless fluff and mindless wandering. With rather crude 3d graphics and styles that are rather vanilla (see Tifa (white T-shirt, shorts, huge breasts) and Cloud (some kind of navy-blue jumpsuit, spiky blond hair, huge sword)). The game basically turns into a giant mall where the stores are all vacant at that point. You only go forward, the story will make you cringe.

Although the way Disc 2 ends is real nice. With the Reno, leader of the Turks, challenging Cloud, since he doesn't care about how he dies any longer. He says, if you want to fight, let's fight. If not, let's part ways forever. You are then offered a choice. You can either have the best boss battle in the game or walk away. Disc 2 ends. That there is pretty great.

[quote name='naes']It's the most overrated game of all time, so no, nothing is wrong with you.[/QUOTE]

Overrated doesn't necessarily mean bad though. For instance, I love every minute of the Star Wars films. Are they overrated? Yes.

I played the game for the first time in 2003, so I think I was able to approach it with a pretty balanced point of view. Did I enjoy myself? Yup. Is the game overrated? DEFINITELY. In no way shape or form is it the best game ever, in my opinion... you need look no further than the game's own series to see it bested.

Other than the obvious graphical issues, you have a damn-near incomprehensible story, which is pretty crucial in a story-driven game. It is presented well, but I still found myself scratching my head rather frequently. I had seen the ending many years prior, while watching my friend play - naturally I was rather confused, to say the least. So I figured that it would finally make sense after I played through the game myself. But nope, I was pretty much just as confused as ever! I still needed that same friend to explain everything to me, lol. Oh, and as others have indicated, the spotty translation didn't help matters much. Off the top of my head, I remember them saying "Off course!" a lot when they meant "of course." That doesn't seem like much but it's just the only specific issue that I can recall at the moment.

But I will reiterate, I had a blast playing it. You just gotta recognize the flaws when you're going in. Make peace with those issues first and you can have a blast playing!

Don't feel bad. I've never physically played an FF game (except Tactics I think). I've seen alot of people play it, but I've never actually held a controller in my hand and played it. The reason why? Complete lack of interest.

[quote name='botticus']FF7 threads always amuse me because it seems like I'm the only person who played it on PC; everyone else always associates it with the PS1.[/quote]

I played it on the PC too. I managed to force myself into finishing it back in 2000. I still didn't see what the big deal about the game was.

I thought FF7 was great, but towards the end I think the writers ran out of ideas and wrote the rest on acid. It just got a little too weird.

I am trying not to be that asshole that says FF# is better than FF#. But everytime I see someone who said they liked FFVIII more than any other FF, I cringe and ask myself why? THen I think, everyone is different. But then I say, but the characters were forgettable and the main character was a douchebag. Anyway, to each their own. I personally would love to get FFVII back in my hands. I sold mine because of the PSP PSX emulator. Then they said you need a PS3. Now I want to rip my own game to play on my PSP.

Personally I bought this game when it came out and it's the only game I can remember that has literally put me to sleep while playing it. From others' accounts I got about halfway through. So IMO it's a complete and utter piece of trash that doesn't deserve any more of my precious time.

FF7 remains one of a very select few RPGs that I've beaten (Chrono Trigger, and Super Mario RPG being the others). And I did more than just get the ending, I level-ground till I could take down the extra stuff after the end. It was a lot of fun at that time (got a PS1 and FF7 for Christmas one year), and I've every-now-and-then had the itch to play it again, but not enough to actually do so.

From a non-RPG gamer's point of view, I think you can say you gave it a shot and it wasn't for you--don't feel compelled to buy into the insane hype around it; you'll only be disappointed.

I'm not a fan of Final Fantasy VII and think it's pretty over rated. I thought the characters were pretty boring and generic, Midgar was kind of cool but the rest of the world wasn't, and the story wasn't that great.
I really hope Square Enix doesn't make an updated port of FF VII for the next gen systems. I would much rather see them work on new games (like maybe a new Chrono game).

Nah I can't stand playing it either...the graphics are just awful and beyond playable for me... I literally turned it on for 20 seconds, watched the opening scene, saw the character I was playing with and I really thought it was a joke at first and I was just in like "block world or lego world." Then I played for maybe another 30 seconds, realized the game was this ugly for its entirety, and turned it off :p

No, nothing is wrong with you. I feel the same way about FF VI, tried to play it on SNES, tried to play it on my PC, tried to play it on PSOne, and I might try on GBA one more time

Quite honestly, can not get into it, hate the story and the gameplay doesn't feel right to me. It doesn't help it that the characters are BORING! I love VII though, have you ever played VI?

[quote name='gcurbelo']All great games ... Time based games is a japanese style for RPG's ... It is a flavor that is acquired and can get old if you play too many in a row. I think the hardest part to RPG's like Final fantasy is leveling up. It would be nice to be able to progress through the story without having to level up for 20 hours.
You can always play another game while putting in a few hours into FFVII.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I think that's what I'm gonna do. A little at a time.

Like I said before, I always seem to eventually want to play again, and by then I've traded the game in:(

[quote name='The Crotch']3) I recognize your name - ever been on a forum called The Gutter?[/QUOTE]

Ummm... the forum doesn't sound familiar. What's the forum discussion about? Hope somebody didn't steal my NAME!!!

[quote name='sarausagi']No, nothing is wrong with you. I feel the same way about FF VI, tried to play it on SNES, tried to play it on my PC, tried to play it on PSOne, and I might try on GBA one more time

Quite honestly, can not get into it, hate the story and the gameplay doesn't feel right to me. It doesn't help it that the characters are BORING! I love VII though, have you ever played VI?[/QUOTE]

I don't THINK I've played it. I get all the versions mixed up. If that's FF3 on SNES, then yes, I played it and really enjoyed it, but it was a rental, so I was never able to finish it:(

[quote name='lokizz']im in the same boat you are i never finished it and i want to . i keep hoping they will remake it with updated graphics and what not but i doubt that will happen anytime soon so im gonna pick me up a copy if i can find an original version of it. the only reason i didnt bother to finish it was because id gotten pretty far into the game but i had so many ff7 saves on my memory cards i went about organizing them and erasing the ones i didnt need and like a dumbass i erased the wrong one and all of my other saves were too far back into the game.

id gotten up to the submarine level where you can fight that emerald giant thing underwater( i dunno how far that is in the game) and i just didnt have the heart to start from the beginning again. man that game still has the coolest freaking summons ever. knights of the round ruled. i did however beat FF8. and i wouldnt mind playing FF9.[/QUOTE]

Heh, that happened to me with Splinter Cell. I lost my save and haven't played again for a while. I think I'm ready to get back into that game again soon:)

Does anybody recommend using a guide of faq for FF7, or is it better to discover everything myself?

I've always felt that FF 7 was a very mediocre game in terms of everything besides graphics and soundtrack. Cross out graphics now as this is probably the Final Fantasy that shows its age the most.

Was great for it's time, still pretty awesome.

I love how people shit all over FF7 for it's ancient graphics, the only FF game currently doesn't look like shit is XII. 1-6 look laughable at best, 8 & 9 suffer from the same problems as 7 (admittingly, not nearly as "serious"). X & X-2 suffer from terrible animations, and crappy voicework. As for XI... well, that looked terrible from the get-go.

I still love most of the FFs. Hell, FF7 is still part of my top ten (and is being played on my PSP as I type this). However, in retrospect, everything sucks when compared to today.

FF7 is living proof that:

a) There's always someone out there that'll hate something.

b) People have this stigma about "over-hyped" games and will devote their life to debunk what makes it awesome (and fail 100% of the time).

c) Normal people are worthless (see: a & b), thus why we have to pay proffesionals to tell us if a game is good or not (except for myself).

I think the SNES/16-bit era Final Fantasy games look the best in terms of graphics. That doesn't go for Final Fantasy games either. I just love the colorful sprite graphics. Super Mario World gets my vote for best looking game of all time, still.

I thought Final Fantasy VII and VIII were ugly. Fun, but ugly.

[quote name='cyrix`']I've never played a FF game, is something wrong with me?[/QUOTE]

You're not missing anything unless you like femmed-up whiny brat boys along with crappy menu-driven combat.

I played it when it first came out. Got a ways in and quit, I have always thought it was overrated. I have never liked the overuse of cutscenes to tell a story, and FF7 was one of the worst offenders. The cutscenes looked amazing (and were used for the commercials), and were used as rewards for beating certain areas, then it was back to blocky graphics. People always mention the story, cutscenes, or nostalgia as reasons for why the game was so great, but almost never the gameplay or materia system.

The gameplay system was great too. Still better than 99% of RPGs IMO. The gameplay would have aged better than the graphics, though the graphics were amazing for the time.

bread's done
Back