CAGcast #65: Making a Difference

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
This week, CheapyD interviews Jesse Labrocca (aka Defender), NYC independent game retail legend. In addition, we cover the latest industry and game shopping news, your questions from the CAGbag, and so much more, your head might explode!

Listen for details on new contests, sponsored by GameBrink.com and Crackdown (360).

To enter the latest contest, please post in the new contest thread.

Don't forget to:
Not a Digger? Register (it helps the CAGcast and is fast, easy, and free)
Add CheapyD & Wombat as your Digg friends!

Download - 91 minutes, 42MB
(Review us)
RSS feed - Add to Google - Add to My Yahoo - MySpace
Past CAGcasts

[media]http://media.libsyn.com/media/cheapyd/cagcast65.mp3[/media]

Show Linkage/Notes
:

Intro music: Leisure Suit Larry, For Your Thighs Only (PC)

Contest winners: Wageslave (PW2), cgarb84 (Crackdown), wolfpup (killzone), Ashes of Wake (WOW 2 months)

NeoGAF Podcast Thread
Japanese Transformers Trailer
CheapyD Karaoke on SingShot
CAG Foreplay: New Releases (2/27/07)

New Backward Compatability issues for Europe
Phil Harrison: We Are Under No Pressure to Drop PS3's Price
Sony: Rumble is a 'Last Generation Feature'
Sony: PS3 Price Cut Not Likely For Two Years
[FONT=&quot]Virtua Fighter 5 #1 in Japan

[/FONT]EBGameStop exclusive games. [FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]GDC Predictions Analyzed

CAGbag
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]Digg the CAGcast
MySpace

CheapyD's Youtube (Subscribe)

Outro: Atari 7800

Bonus Videos/Pictures!

Click the picture for a complete photo gallery

Great interview. It was interesting, enjoyable and both you and Defender did a good job in it. Great job at cutting the interview into the show. Was it hard to give the generic bookend comments and splice Defender's interview between them? Either way, it'd be nice to have more interviews like this if you can get them.

I don't really see the similarity between Bullet Witch and Gungrave. I'd predict 5-6 scores for it.

More hysterical ranting from Wombat, please. :lol: Whenever Cheapy greenlights the Wombat's Burough, it should be good. You guys should go for an epic three hour CAGcast like the 1up Yours guys did last week, then you'd have no excuse to skip stuff that's important to Wombat.

Shut down again on the CAGbag front. :whistle2:( :lol:

Holy shit! Now, let me say that I laugh during every CAGCast, but this episode takes the cake. When Wombat started playing Cheapy singing "Ring of Fire," in the background, followed by Cheapy begging for it to stop, I laughed so hard that I dropped my laptop and it ripped the headphones off of my head, nearly ripping my ears off.

Great work guys.

'''' The store was very famous and I was interviewed by news all around the world. Also in local NYC papers like the NY Times and Village Voice. I can do a whole thing about my store and what I did one day. We were on MTV and Spin magazine did a spread with NERD in my store too. Basically my store was the focal point for gaming and gamers from all walks of life. We had a TON of famous customers that are too many to list them all but some would be Meg Ryan, Vincent D'Onofrio, Just Blaze, and Ric Ocasek..''''

It's good that he does not take himself seriously...

[quote name='InvaderZim']'''' The store was very famous and I was interviewed by news all around the world. Also in local NYC papers like the NY Times and Village Voice. I can do a whole thing about my store and what I did one day. We were on MTV and Spin magazine did a spread with NERD in my store too. Basically my store was the focal point for gaming and gamers from all walks of life. We had a TON of famous customers that are too many to list them all but some would be Meg Ryan, Vincent D'Onofrio, Just Blaze, and Ric Ocasek..''''

It's good that he does not take himself seriously...[/QUOTE]

Its funny too because I went to that store a few times, and while he did have some good stuff there were way more negatives than postives. Prices were much higher and the guys working there were not the most helpful people for the most part. The "Legend" you speak of was rude to many a customer (Not me but i've witnessed a few times) when ever he was actually at the store. I stopped shopping there not too soon after first discovering the store because it just wasnt worth paying an extra 5 or 10 dollars (for a new game). If you were searching for an older game it was a decent spot to go to I guess.

Damn Cheapy your CAGcasts are getting longer, or is it just me ? ;) Either way I'm listening right before I head off to work. Nice to hear from defender.

Defender is the man. I don't post often but I remember when he was more involved and he was a great contributor. I especially remember when he hooked up a lot of CAG with the reprint of puzzle fighter (a fantastic game). Great to hear from him.

"I played this game so much I didn't masterbate for a week."

Obviously a box quote for the second printing of Crackdown.

man ill say it once and ill say it again the wii is a gimmick and now its showing just how limited it is with all these lame games it keeps cranking out where the wiimote doesnt work well. from her eon in only nintendo brand games will be able to use the wiimote properly. and as far as laice goes flo was cool but vera was freakin hott. a little scary in an odd im kind of mentally retarted but im a functioning retard kind of way but still hott.

and if i remember correctly the person who played flo also played the old woman who got shot through a window in gremlins.

simpsons quote.
Troy McClure: Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!

crackdown

I don't think it's a gimmick. However, I do believe that a bunch of big developers are trying to cash in on it by releasing rushed/crappy games...

If developers start to think 'outside of the box' I believe we will start to get some really decent software for it. If they continue to try and port older games to it they are going to fail.

[quote name='lokizz']man ill say it once and ill say it again the wii is a gimmick and now its showing just how limited it is with all these lame games it keeps cranking out where the wiimote doesnt work well. from her eon in only nintendo brand games will be able to use the wiimote properly. and as far as laice goes flo was cool but vera was freakin hott. a little scary in an odd im kind of mentally retarted but im a functioning retard kind of way but still hott.

simpsons quote.
Troy McClure: Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!

crackdown[/quote]

To Wombat I say that bigger is not always better. I find the size of land in Crackdown to be just about right. Since it's not as big as GTA SA, I now have a better idea where things are at. I definitely disagree with the statement about the game not being finished. What did you want a 50hr. RPG? Besides, they are promising downloadable content so that should give it some more replay value.

is this store still around?? Anyone know where it is located if it is. i am definetly look for some older stuff and I work in NYC.

Good show and very interesting interview. Having been to Multimedia 1.0 and never met defender, he sounds calm and collected rather than his "attitude problem" reputation would have others believe. I guess it helps that he is out of the retail video game business.

Listening to you guys remind my of the talk radio I used to listen to on WNEW 102.7 FM when they used to air Don and Mike, and Ron and Fez. Highly entertaining. Thanks for the continued effort on the CAGcast. I can't wait for the next episode.

[quote name='InvaderZim']'''' The store was very famous and I was interviewed by news all around the world. Also in local NYC papers like the NY Times and Village Voice. I can do a whole thing about my store and what I did one day. We were on MTV and Spin magazine did a spread with NERD in my store too. Basically my store was the focal point for gaming and gamers from all walks of life. We had a TON of famous customers that are too many to list them all but some would be Meg Ryan, Vincent D'Onofrio, Just Blaze, and Ric Ocasek..''''

It's good that he does not take himself seriously...[/QUOTE]

FYI- I didn't really want to post that kind of stuff bit CheapyD actually requested that I did. I really don't take myself too seriously. I am actually very relaxed now that I am semi-retired in Las Vegas. I am even on Prozac to help with some ADD and anxiety and it's changed my life tremendously.

As for the store and my rudeness or attitude. I want you take a moment and think about this. Imagine yourself a moderator here at CAG. Imagine you are paid but not really that much. CheapyD expects you to be on the forums for about 10-12 hours a day 6 days a week. And your basic job is to answer every question asked on the thread no matter how trivial, stupid, or annoying. You find yourself just repeating the same phrases over and over...after a year you realize the questions are the same questions again and again. Now do that for 10 years and if you can do it with a smile and no attitude then you are a better man that me. I sincerely apologize to anyone that personally experienced rudeness or attitude at Multimedia 1.0. It was to say the least a very difficult personal journey. Add on top the stress of 9/11, 4 kids, and a wife. I burned out...I knew it in 2002 and it took me 2 years to get out. I was in a jail of sorts. I owned the store...it was not something I could just close. It wasn't a job I could just quit. It was the income for my family and worst of all...I hated just about every damn second I was there which was constant. It's hard to explain the amount of resentment I felt at the time.

This post is not for any sympathy. I am great now...excellent as a matter of fact. However it's still painful for me to bring up the store and discuss it. I can talk about games and such but to talk about the "glory days" doesn't exactly make my day. While MM1 was pure hell for the last 4 years..it was a golden achievement for the first 6. I am now 36 and I quickly realized that my biggest success most likely has come and passed. It was success...and in the end it was failure. I live with it...and past it now. It's not a pleasant thing for me to think about as it requires a lot of self-reflection some of which makes me very uncomfortable. As I type this I am semi-shaking.

I guess it boils down to this. I do admit I was an asshole. Even then I knew. I was out of control in some sense because...I had no control. My life was being led for me and I hated it. I felt imprisoned by the very thing I created and once loved.

I am a not an asshole anymore. As a matter of fact...I feel great now as a person. I don't get mad, I get along really with my wife and kids. The prozac has straightened me out along with my lifestyle change. Not working sort-of rules.

Thank you all for listening and commenting. The CAGcast was really fun to be a part of.

-Jesse

[quote name='msuna']is this store still around?? Anyone know where it is located if it is. i am definetly look for some older stuff and I work in NYC.[/QUOTE]

Sorry to double post but just to address this question. I sold my store (for peanuts really...inventory wasn't even paid for) to a friend who ran it for a year before having issues with the landlord and forced to move down to 6th street between 2nd and 3rd avenue. He has the same phone number still so you can call to make sure because it might be 5th street.

212-539-1039

The new owner has run the store very similarly to my style with inventory. He concentrates tremendously now on imports and still has an impressive classic selection. He doesn't currently have a website for mail order but if you are NYer you can surely visit. I know he scored some awesome collectables like one of these.

1.jpg

Loved the interview this episode. I think it's a good idea to throw one of those in every now and then. Major Nelson has nothing but interviews, so that tends to get boring rather quickly (it did for me at least as I no longer listen). However, having one every 5 shows or so seems like a pretty good idea if you can get someone relevant on. The SoE story was pretty amusing, although if I was in the business and that kind of situation happened all the time I'm sure be extremely aggrivated as well. With the internet now, and reviews appearing pretty readily before a game comes out, I'm sure it's a little bit easier to guage how much a game will be in demand.

Also, Cheapy, I don't think it's ever been mentioned, but shouldn't people be restricted to post only once in the contest thread? I have no idea if people are posting multiple times (this is a fairly reliable community), but it's definitely possible. If I post 50 times spread out over the 20 pages, my chances would be pretty damn good if you're picking three winners each week just using a random number generator to obtain a post number. When someone wins do you check to see if they've posted more than once and disqualify them if they did? Or are there no rules against that for the time being and I should abuse it?

[quote name='MysteryMan2333']Also, Cheapy, I don't think it's ever been mentioned, but shouldn't people be restricted to post only once in the contest thread? I have no idea if people are posting multiple times (this is a fairly reliable community), but it's definitely possible. If I post 50 times spread out over the 20 pages, my chances would be pretty damn good if you're picking three winners each week just using a random number generator to obtain a post number. When someone wins do you check to see if they've posted more than once and disqualify them if they did? Or are there no rules against that for the time being and I should abuse it?[/QUOTE]

It doesn't matter how many times you post. You can pull up a list of unique posters in a thread and that's what Cheapy uses to randomly pick winners from.

[quote name='defender']FYI- I didn't really want to post that kind of stuff bit CheapyD actually requested that I did. I really don't take myself too seriously. I am actually very relaxed now that I am semi-retired in Las Vegas. I am even on Prozac to help with some ADD and anxiety and it's changed my life tremendously.

As for the store and my rudeness or attitude. I want you take a moment and think about this. Imagine yourself a moderator here at CAG. Imagine you are paid but not really that much. CheapyD expects you to be on the forums for about 10-12 hours a day 6 days a week. And your basic job is to answer every question asked on the thread no matter how trivial, stupid, or annoying. You find yourself just repeating the same phrases over and over...after a year you realize the questions are the same questions again and again. Now do that for 10 years and if you can do it with a smile and no attitude then you are a better man that me. I sincerely apologize to anyone that personally experienced rudeness or attitude at Multimedia 1.0. It was to say the least a very difficult personal journey. Add on top the stress of 9/11, 4 kids, and a wife. I burned out...I knew it in 2002 and it took me 2 years to get out. I was in a jail of sorts. I owned the store...it was not something I could just close. It wasn't a job I could just quit. It was the income for my family and worst of all...I hated just about every damn second I was there which was constant. It's hard to explain the amount of resentment I felt at the time.

This post is not for any sympathy. I am great now...excellent as a matter of fact. However it's still painful for me to bring up the store and discuss it. I can talk about games and such but to talk about the "glory days" doesn't exactly make my day. While MM1 was pure hell for the last 4 years..it was a golden achievement for the first 6. I am now 36 and I quickly realized that my biggest success most likely has come and passed. It was success...and in the end it was failure. I live with it...and past it now. It's not a pleasant thing for me to think about as it requires a lot of self-reflection some of which makes me very uncomfortable. As I type this I am semi-shaking.

I guess it boils down to this. I do admit I was an asshole. Even then I knew. I was out of control in some sense because...I had no control. My life was being led for me and I hated it. I felt imprisoned by the very thing I created and once loved.

I am a not an asshole anymore. As a matter of fact...I feel great now as a person. I don't get mad, I get along really with my wife and kids. The prozac has straightened me out along with my lifestyle change. Not working sort-of rules.

Thank you all for listening and commenting. The CAGcast was really fun to be a part of.

-Jesse[/quote]

dude i dont blame you for getting pissed at customers. i used to work in a conveinence store and i got all sorts of stupid ass questiond and requests. like having to pull out 10 40 oz beers just so i can get somone the one way the fuck in the back because they think its the coolest.

or kids coming into the store with no money asking for free stuff or the ones who come in with money grab a bunch of stuff and dont realize they dont have enough. so not only do you have to take tude from them being upset they dont have enough money ( since they apparently cant add or subtract) but then you have to help them figure out what they want and deal with them taking up your time when you should be taking out the trash or sweeping to wait for them to see which combo of stuff they want.

and dont get me started on penny candy or ciggaretts. and no i didnt work at a nice neat store near a well to do part of town i worked in a store smack dab in the middle of a housing project so yeah people suck because they come in themost times not knowing what they want, not having the money to pay for it and yeah even in a conveinence store you get people coming in just to look around or hang out which im sure has to happen a hell of alot more at a videogame store.......damn just thinkign about it pisses me off even more.

[quote name='shipwreck']It doesn't matter how many times you post. You can pull up a list of unique posters in a thread and that's what Cheapy uses to randomly pick winners from.[/quote]

Ah, okay. Thanks for the info.

People would get mad at me because I wouldn't let them play our demo system. You can see in the pics we had a big TV (specially for back then) and we always had a game running as demo and customers felt they should be able to come into my store and play games. Often times people said they wouldn't buy unless they could first play it. I understand that but imho that's what game reviews are for. For practical reasons if I allowed everyone to "demo" games there would be a line of people all day asking me to change games for them to try out. That would basically require me to get another employee because my first priority in the store was security. We had a lot of theft and theft attempts. Customer service sadly was second but it was important...if you added "gaming demos" to the equation something else would suffer.

Anyways...most people that at one point worked retail understand it's not a fun job.

This is the best Cagcast I've listened to since the famous Mrs. episode . Yeah, it was that good and you should have Defender back in a few months.

The Marvel Trading Card Game release is actually something the VS. System community has been looking forward to for a while. It's a rule-by-rule simulation of the VS System CCG from Upper Deck, just without the DC license (Konami has been unable to get it.)

The retail release of the game will let you use VS cards from the first 5 Marvel sets for VS. System: Marvel Origins, Web of Spiderman, Marvel Knights, Avengers, and The X-Men. No word yet on Heralds of Galactus (released in Sept.) and Marvel Team Up (Spiderman, Sinister Syndicate, Underworld reboot plus Marvel Defenders) which comes out in the next week or so but patches are likely on PSP/PC versions.

The retail PC version is supposed to come out with the DS version (now slated for May.) There is a free download for the PC if you want to try it out at http://www.marveltcgonline.com/

The PC free download features access to online play against PSP and other PC owners (you have to buy the cards details on the site) and a limited single player version. You have a choice of a Spiderman/F4 deck or a Sinister Syndicate/Doom deck playing against Chameleon (running SS/Crime Lords) Kristoff Von Doom (running a Doom Army deck) and Loreli (running a Brotherhood deck.) You also get a 3-step tutorial explaining the basic rules of VS System.

If you have any interest at all with either the Marvel Universe or CCG's in general I highly recommend at least trying the PC download. There's a reason VS System was Inquest's Magazine's CCG of the Year last year. If you have any questions, I'm technically a pro at the game (played in 3 of the 11 Pro Circuits so far) and can answer any general questions about VS System.

Wombat- You may want to consider the PC version since you don't have a PSP because the DS version only allows play between DS to DS, and it's not known whether the 5th Marvel set (XMen) will be in the game. The PSP/PC retail/PC demo versions are all compatible with each other (online play with people on those versions.)

This is the best Cagcast in a while , I'll be re-listening to this one alot .

I like the idea of having an interview once in a while . I'm sure it's better and less confusing than having a 3rd person on Skype .

Just remember , pre-recorded interviews are not a crime . Major Nelson's shows usually have several .

[quote name='thorbahn3']You should have Defender back in a few months.[/QUOTE]
Seconded !!

great show guys made my day feel much better iwas sick:( hey hceapy how about sending me a free copy of the railfan train simulater

Superintendent Chalmers: I've had it with this school, Skinner. Low test scores, class after class of ugly, ugly children...

Crackdown please.

Oh it's nothing to be sorry about now. It's old news. It was just a great story and basically my worst experience with a single game over 10 years. I have lots of stories though. :)

I didn't know a Marvel TCG was coming out for the DS. I've never played VS, but I've heard of it. I've been hoping for a Magic or a Pokemon TCG for the DS since those were the games I played back in the day, but I'm looking forward to trying the VS TCG.

[quote name='defender']Oh it's nothing to be sorry about now. It's old news. It was just a great story and basically my worst experience with a single game over 10 years. I have lots of stories though. :)[/QUOTE]

Great interview, really slick. Awesome tale about State of Emergency, that really puts it in perspective. Man, I'd be terrified to ever stock anything again after getting stuck with 6K in S of E.

I'd love to hear more tales of game industry torment some time, there should be a follow up cast!

[quote name='defender']Oh it's nothing to be sorry about now. It's old news. It was just a great story and basically my worst experience with a single game over 10 years. I have lots of stories though. :)[/QUOTE]

I would love to hear more stories. I bet some of them are really good.

Great interview BTW.

[quote name='defender']FYI- I didn't really want to post that kind of stuff bit CheapyD actually requested that I did. I really don't take myself too seriously. I am actually very relaxed now that I am semi-retired in Las Vegas. I am even on Prozac to help with some ADD and anxiety and it's changed my life tremendously.

-Jesse[/quote]

Hi Defender. I listened to the podcast today and I enjoyed it. From One small retailer to another, I really hope you could reflect on MM1 one day, and realize the word failure doen't belong in the same sentence. You took a shot in life, and built a pretty special store from what I can see. Times change, Business changes, things change. The store might of lost some of it luster to you near the end. It sounds like it even became a tough part of your life. If it were me, i would reflect on the good times, and the postive impact you made on people. It also sounds like maybe you didn't treat some customers good near the end, but there is a positive from this also. It appears to me that you have grown as a person since then. You have also bounced back from a tough time in your life, and you should be proud of that also. The bottom line is MM1 was a very important journy in your life that got you to where you are today. Your Golden Achievement might be the fact that you have grown from both a positive and negative situation. We never know what lies ahead for us. I do know if you worked MM1 for 10 years, you put your heart and soul into it , and you deserve nothing less then concentrating on the good times instead of the bad times. MM1 was just another important stepping stone in your life. Vegas is pretty cool for sure. I have to bowl in Reno at the end of April, and then I will fly down to Vegas to play some golf, before I come back home. Good luck to you!

Tony Liongames.com

[quote name='liongames']Hi Defender. I listened to the podcast today and I enjoyed it. From One small retailer to another, I really hope you could reflect on MM1 one day, and realize the word failure doen't belong in the same sentence. You took a shot in life, and built a pretty special store from what I can see. Times change, Business changes, things change. The store might of lost some of it luster to you near the end. It sounds like it even became a tough part of your life. If it were me, i would reflect on the good times, and the postive impact you made on people. It also sounds like maybe you didn't treat some customers good near the end, but there is a positive from this also. It appears to me that you have grown as a person since then. You have also bounced back from a tough time in your life, and you should be proud of that also. The bottom line is MM1 was a very important journy in your life that got you to where you are today. Your Golden Achievement might be the fact that you have grown from both a positive and negative situation. We never know what lies ahead for us. I do know if you worked MM1 for 10 years, you put your heart and soul into it , and you deserve nothing less then concentrating on the good times instead of the bad times. MM1 was just another important stepping stone in your life. Vegas is pretty cool for sure. I have to bowl in Reno at the end of April, and then I will fly down to Vegas to play some golf, before I come back home. Good luck to you!

Tony Liongames.com[/QUOTE]

Nice post but you really didn't say anything I already wasn't aware of. I often think about the good times of MM1. I still have many friends that I would never have if not for MM1 (CheapyD as a matter of fact). But the way it ended wasn't very good...and in some ways which I can't explain really it's still not ended. There are still lingering issues which I have to deal with from those last couple years. It may be 5+ years before I am "clear" of bad stuff from 2002-2004. I left my shop owing well over $200k...now that's debt.

Anyways thanks for your post.

holy crap I won something O_O

great cagcast like always, had me laughing like always.

about Mario Kart being a drunk purchase, my friend bought it while completely wasted, we played it for like 10 minutes after he bought it. He regretted it totally the day after since he has 2 copies of it already. :rofl:

Hey Cheapy (or anyone with a better memory than me), what were you referring when talking about the 75% chance (or whatever it was) of MS revealing the 120GB 360 at some upcoming show? Is there a link for this, because it doesn't seem to be on any of the gaming news sites. I'm asking what the show is (GDC?) and what the source of the various estimates was. Sorry - my attention kind of drifted there and then snapped back with the mention of the new 360 (which I am waiting on). I could go back through and listen again but I figured one of you younguns would remember it in an instant and save me the time ;).

[quote name='CheapyD']A link is in the OP:
GDC Predictions Analyzed[/QUOTE]

D'oh! Thanks... In my defense the font is small and I'm old (relatively speaking) ;).

OK, read all the stuff at Gamepro. They don't really know anything that we don't already know. As much as I desperately want it to happen, I don't agree with their 90% assessment. We'll see soon enough I guess. I'd really like this to be true as I'm swimming in 360 games at the moment thanks to the Fred Meyer, Best Buy, and now Gamerush clearances. I've never bought so many games before owning a console before.

Great episode! I feel as if the past 3 or 4 shows have been top notch and among the best overall (Listening since the beginning). I enjoyed hearing from Defender and I thought it was a nice addition to an already great podcast. It reminded me of those awesome early CAG days. Videogamedeals.com was great to us...thanks.

bread's done
Back