Number of Players: 1-5
Release Date:
US: July 30, 2007
Japan: January 25, 2007
Europe: May 11, 2007
MSRP: $19.99
Recommended Requirements:
Rumble Pak support (sold separate)
Features: Online via Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection, Multi-card Multiplayer, Single-card Multiplayer, DS Card Save, Downloadable Content, Vibration

I guess this is now the official Picross DS topic, so any questions, hints, tips, FCs, etc can go here.

I really enjoy it so far, and for the most part, you really don't need to understand Japanese to navigate the menus. There's maybe, 150 normal difficulty puzzles, plus another 100 or so easy, and (I assume, I haven't unlocked them all yet) somewhere around another 150 difficult (free-mode) puzzles. Nintendo has also put some Picross collections online that you can download onto your DS, although I don't have access to wireless right now, so I can't check.

I was afraid that there wouldn't be enough puzzles, but it hasn't been an issue. It's easily worth the $40.

Thanks for the info, although I don't know if I should thank you or hate you for your help, considering I'm probably gonna get this game now :whistle2:(

Also, I just checked and this does have a lot of WiFi options! According to some people at GameFAQs, you can actually create your own puzzles and trade them online. And I think you can also battle people online. So awesome...

mario picross was my favorite gb game ever. I dont know why it took them so long to make more since they seem to be easy to make and incredibly fun. I hope this gets ported over cause, as much fun as picross is, 40 is a bit steep for essentially a simple puzzle game.

Well, it actually isn't TOO bad, considering DS games cost more in Japan than in the US.

Anybody else have this game?

[quote name='hootie']Anybody else have this game?[/quote]

Yeah, i picked it up and love it quite a lot. I went through and finished all the easy and normal puzzles, and about half of the 'free' puzzles.

Each 'level' has 15 puzzles. Easy only has one level, where are all the puzzles are 5 x 5.

Normal has 10 levels, with a bonus after completing all puzzles. You start off with the beginning 4 and when you complete more and more puzzles, you unlock more levels. Level 1 begins with puzzles 10 x 10, and it goes up to 20 x 25.

Easy and Normal puzzles will tack on a time penalty when you guess incorrectly, but 'Free' puzzles will not penalize you for wrong guessing, which makes things kinda tough. Free puzzles start at 10 x 10, and at Level 7 are 20 x 20. I think there are 8 levels overall in Free, and probably a bonus too.

When beginning any puzzle, you can choose to get a hint which'll give you a roulette choice of the answer to a single row and column. I made it pretty far without using this option, but eventually succumbed to the ease.

In Free mode, you have the option of hypothetical solving... where you can make some progress on a puzzle, turn on this option, and all progress after that point can either be saved or discarded. Figuring out which option is 'to save' or 'to discard' is key to using this feature.

There's also 'daily' picross where you can do a spree of 5 short puzzles and it'll record your time and track your daily progress.

I haven't really done any online play with this game... i probably should.

One other weird thing, is that Picross DS uses the rumble pak.. Just to enhance the sound of filling in a square on the board. It's actually useless and you're better off without it, since it wastes battery power.

At this point, i've stopped playing it. The 'normal' puzzles were fun because there was a right and wrong answer, which lead you to the completion of a puzzle within about 10 minutes..

Free puzzles are rather annoying because you don't know if what you are doing is correct, and they take alot longer, especially when you get to 20 x 20 stages. I got somewhat frustrated with spending 20 minutes on a puzzle and having to start over because something was just a little bit off

Overall, i had a great time playing Picross DS. If i was released in the states at the a $20 'brain training' price tag, i would absolutely recommend it. I think $40 is a bit high, but certainly not unreasonable for the right person ^_^

Anywho.... You don't REALLY need to know japanese to navigate through the game, but a translation of the menus and options would certainly help you out.

Do you have a understanding of Japanese or at least enough to figure out how to play import games?

Thanks for all of the info, I appreciate it!

I don't understand any japanese, but some guy translated the menus over at GameFAQs, so I'll be all set.

Also, I see you are 'done' playing it, is there any chance you'd let go of it? I'd be willing to buy it off of ya :)

[quote name='hootie']Also, I see you are 'done' playing it, is there any chance you'd let go of it? I'd be willing to buy it off of ya :)[/quote]

Nah, sorry. I'm one of those crazy people that keeps their games and never sells them unless they are really really bad. Besides, I thought you already ordered it?

If you want, i'm going over to Japan next week.. I could probably pick you up a copy, since it probably actually sells for $35 in japan.

I haven't ordered it yet, but I think if I do buy it, I'll just get it at PA :)

That is, unless you want anything from my list?

I caved last night and ordered it at PA :p Does anyone know about the download features of the game? I saw someone mention something about Nintendo making available a puzzle pack that had the puzzles from the original Mario Picross o_O

[quote name='dyreschlock']you can download NEW puzzles?! o_O .. i should look into that.[/quote]

Yep, I heard they release "NP" packs every week, containing classic picross puzzles.

That just makes me want to get it even more :cry:

I'll never understand why Japan gets games like Picross DS, Jump Ultimate Stars, Chousoujuu Mecha MG, and we get crap like Hannah fuck ing Montana and other useless, crappy games.

[quote name='hootie']I'll never understand why Japan gets games like Picross DS, Jump Ultimate Stars, Chousoujuu Mecha MG, and we get crap like Hannah fuck ing Montana and other useless, crappy games.[/quote]

I wonder who the video game market in Japan is geared towards... are portables targeted at kids there, like they are here? If so, I guess their kids just have much better taste than the ones here :rofl: When did all this happen, anyway? I feel like a little old lady... "In my day, we had Mario, and Zelda... none of this Disney riffraff you whippersnappers play today! :shame: "

I wonder how much it costs Nintendo (or whatever publisher) to bring a Japanese game to the states, anyway. It seems like changing the language couldn't be all that expensive, and you'd think there would be enough of an interest in just about any game for them to turn a profit for doing so... but then I'm probably wrong about the cost.

I'm going to have to check out Jump... I'm unfamiliar with the anime it centers around, but everyone here is always mentioning how great it is...

Don't mean to bump an old thread, but since the game is coming out over here in the next few weeks, I thought I'd throw out a Q for those who have finished every Normal mode puzzle on it.
I have the EU english version, so that might be a bit different then the JP one. Do you unlock anything extra if you complete all the easy/normal puzzles and bonus " !" game puzzles?

I have completed every puzzle under normal, and easy of course, but have the few remaining "copy the puzzle before the time runs out puzzles left".

They are driving me nuts. If they dont unlock anything special, I'm just going to leave them unfinished. I'd like to erase the data and go for a second run through, but not if I'm close to unlocking some extra puzzles.

Also, has anyone created some original pics to trade? I have made one that came out quite nicely, but it would be cool to get some good homemade ones that arent downloadable off the website.

I also have the EU copy, but I haven't completed all of the Normal puzzles yet, I think I'm only on the 6th set (the flowers).

IIRC, I don't think you need to complete those little side puzzles to unlock anything, but I'm not completely sure. But yes, I also really, really hate them.

A couple of people at GameFAQs gave me some of their puzzles and they were actually really good, just check over there and ask around for some FCs.

[quote name='hootie']I also have the EU copy, but I haven't completed all of the Normal puzzles yet, I think I'm only on the 6th set (the flowers).

IIRC, I don't think you need to complete those little side puzzles to unlock anything, but I'm not completely sure. But yes, I also really, really hate them.

A couple of people at GameFAQs gave me some of their puzzles and they were actually really good, just check over there and ask around for some FCs.[/quote]

Thanks Hootie, I might venture over there and see if I can exchange puzzles. Although I haven't set foot in a gamefaqs message board in years. They scare me.
I would imagine though, that a "sophisticated" puzzle like picross wont have too many delinquents playing it, - my fear may not be justified in this case.;)

I just cant get enough picross lately. I even went so far as to dig up my NGPC picross game. I just need a new battery for my system though. :( Picross and portables are like choco and peanut butter. It's just not the same playing it on a pc or puzzle book.

[quote name='Noodle Pirate!']Thanks Hootie, I might venture over there and see if I can exchange puzzles. Although I haven't set foot in a gamefaqs message board in years. They scare me.
I would imagine though, that a "sophisticated" puzzle like picross wont have too many delinquents playing it, - my fear may not be justified in this case.;)

I just cant get enough picross lately. I even went so far as to dig up my NGPC picross game. I just need a new battery for my system though. :( Picross and portables are like choco and peanut butter. It's just not the same playing it on a pc or puzzle book.[/quote]

Bumping this from the dead since some of you have already played it. Does Picross DS have multiple save slots kind of like Brain Age or is it just designed for one person?

I want to get this for my wife and me but if it only has one save slot, that would kind of suck.

It's currently my go-to puzzle game. On the second stage of Normal mode.

These 15 x 15 levels are rather annoying. I can't stand the touch controls on them, but thankfully the button controls work a little easier. I mean, c'mon, it's already annoying enough having to press a button in the corner to switch from Draw to X, but then forcing a third button in the corner just to scroll the puzzle in zoom mode, which is of course the only way to draw or X. Would have been a lot easier if the D-pad scrolled in touch mode. Also, I don't see why we can't play zoomed-out while in button mode.

But whatever, minor complaints for an awesome puzzler.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']wait what? I thought this wasnt out yet?[/quote]

Some CAGs imported it from Japan or the UK. It should be in stores tomorrow. I still haven't gotten an answer to my question though :cry:

Even though the UK version has english and all, I would actually probably rather get the Japanese version, just because they are getting so much more classic packs availible to download on WiFi.

[quote name='lebowsky']Bumping this from the dead since some of you have already played it. Does Picross DS have multiple save slots kind of like Brain Age or is it just designed for one person?

I want to get this for my wife and me but if it only has one save slot, that would kind of suck.[/quote]
there are no multiple profiles to choose which data is saved where. at least not in the Japanese version.

The U.K. version also is just the one save. If you finish a puzzle it shows up as completed everytime you play the game. It doesn't even give you the option of choosing a save slot.
The only save related thing in the game is that you can choose to save your spot in a puzzle and start it up the next time you play, but you can only save one half finished puzzle at a time, any new save will erase the last half finished puzzle.
I hope that helps Lebowsky.
You can also redo puzzles tha tyou have completed to improve your time. The UK version has a 1 hour time limit on puzzles. If you cant finish it in 1 hour then it doesnt count. I know an hour sounds like a long time, but on certain modes, everytime you you color a box that wasn't suppose to be colored, it will add a bit of time to your total.

[quote name='spiwak']It's currently my go-to puzzle game. On the second stage of Normal mode.

These 15 x 15 levels are rather annoying. I can't stand the touch controls on them, but thankfully the button controls work a little easier. I mean, c'mon, it's already annoying enough having to press a button in the corner to switch from Draw to X, but then forcing a third button in the corner just to scroll the puzzle in zoom mode, which is of course the only way to draw or X. Would have been a lot easier if the D-pad scrolled in touch mode. Also, I don't see why we can't play zoomed-out while in button mode.

But whatever, minor complaints for an awesome puzzler.[/quote]

The zoom in and out thing was driving me mad. I finally decided to play it zoomed out the entire time using only the 2 buttons on the control pad to tick or untick boxes. It was a bit wierd at first, but now I cant imagine playing it with the stylus ever again. Its so much easier and faster then using the stylus.
Sure it looks small, but you quickly get over that. It is so much easier to see the whole picture at once, then trying to zoom in and out and manage the whole puzzle.

A button colors the box. B button checks the box

Damn, one of those flower puzzles is giving me one hell of a time trying to stay under the hour time limit...the placement of the flower makes it very hard to get it.

I got a copy tonight. Walmart threw the dozen or so copies they got straight in the bargain bin.

Friend Code 004401 591670

[quote name='Noodle Pirate!']
A button colors the box. B button checks the box[/quote]

I'm with you there. I hadn't gotten to the 15 x 15 puzzles when I downloaded my first puzzle pak of the original Mario's Picross puzzles. I was dismayed to see this crazy zoomy feature. Far, far too frustrating. The way you're playing it, Noodle Pirate, is the way it was originally done on Mario's Picross, if I'm not mistaken. Entirely the same way I intend to play it, once I get to that point again.

Not sure if Nintendo is going to rip every one of Mario's Picross' puzzles and put them up for download, but if folks can find a cheap copy of Mario's Picross and still have their SP collecting dust, this is a great Picross compilation. A little uninspiring, but hey, it's Picross. Like Sudoku, it doesn't need much.

[quote name='Noodle Pirate!']The U.K. version also is just the one save. If you finish a puzzle it shows up as completed everytime you play the game. It doesn't even give you the option of choosing a save slot.
The only save related thing in the game is that you can choose to save your spot in a puzzle and start it up the next time you play, but you can only save one half finished puzzle at a time, any new save will erase the last half finished puzzle.
I hope that helps Lebowsky.
You can also redo puzzles tha tyou have completed to improve your time. The UK version has a 1 hour time limit on puzzles. If you cant finish it in 1 hour then it doesnt count. I know an hour sounds like a long time, but on certain modes, everytime you you color a box that wasn't suppose to be colored, it will add a bit of time to your total.[/quote]

Thanks for the info. That really sucks because both my wife and I will be playing this game. I'm sure as hell not going to buy 2 copies of it though.

[quote name='Noodle Pirate!']The zoom in and out thing was driving me mad. I finally decided to play it zoomed out the entire time using only the 2 buttons on the control pad to tick or untick boxes. It was a bit wierd at first, but now I cant imagine playing it with the stylus ever again. Its so much easier and faster then using the stylus.
Sure it looks small, but you quickly get over that. It is so much easier to see the whole picture at once, then trying to zoom in and out and manage the whole puzzle.

A button colors the box. B button checks the box[/quote]
I never realized that I could check boxes while zoomed out in button mode. That's a great help! It's a shame, but I guess I'll be forgetting about touch controls, that's for sure.

[quote name='lebowsky']Thanks for the info. That really sucks because both my wife and I will be playing this game. I'm sure as hell not going to buy 2 copies of it though.[/quote]

Yeah, I too am bummed about this, because I can see my wife really enjoying it. Can't remember if I ever let her play Mario's Picross or not, but it's right up her alley.

Oh well. Guess we'll just trade off puzzles.

[quote name='pete5883']Almost forgot this was today, I'm excited. What are friend codes for in this? Just trading puzzles?[/QUOTE]
Trading puzzles and competitive online play.

You guys could always asign a certain puzzle section to each person. Theres free mode for people who are already versed in the picross religion, and normal mode where its not quite as free thinking. You are told when you make an error etc.
That way you each can have a set of puzzles and then erase the save at the end when you both compelte your sections and then start over and trade modes. :)

I got this today, because I had a 3 hour wait outside of a concert, and I'm glad I got it. Easy to grasp, but it becomes challenging very quickly!

I too am bummed about the lack of user profiles. This has been the case with most DS games, though, which is very unfortunate (Etrian Odyssey, Sim City DS, Dragon Quest Rocket Slime...), especially since it seems like they could easily add that feature.

But, it's only $20, so I can't complain too much!

A shame you can't switch from button to stylus without going into the menu. Online multi was quite a surprise for me - half my wins are from premature disconnections, and boy did I get my monkey ass whooped for my losses. I got beaten by a "Master" in 35 seconds!

Quick question: What happens when you solve all the puzzles in this game? Unlike Tetris and Puyo Pop there's no replay value in games like this.

[quote name='laaj']Unlike Tetris and Puyo Pop there's no replay value in games like this.[/quote]

Are you kidding me? They have new downloadable puzzles frequently, you can download puzzles from friends, you can battle people on WiFi, and you can make your own puzzles.

[quote name='hootie']Are you kidding me? They have new downloadable puzzles frequently, you can download puzzles from friends, you can battle people on WiFi, and you can make your own puzzles.[/quote]

Nintendo and frequently in the same sentence? So you can only get new puzzles from people you have friend codes with or total strangers? Either way it sounds good in theory but most user generated puzzles won't be good enough. Check out wiipicross.com's user created puzzles for proof.

All of the users who I've downloaded puzzles from on GameFAQs have phenomonal puzzles, they are challenging, and very, very well made.

If anyone wants to add me, My friend code is:

274978 922386

I have one homemade puzzle that took me too long to make and it would be great if someone else found it enjoyable to play: )
It's "river city ransom" related ;P
I found that the 8 bit game sprites were the easiest to make pics out of.

If i can find time, I'm gonna head over to GF and try to snag some of the puzzles from there since Hootie said they were good

I added Radjago and Hootie to my FC. Hope you guys dont mind :) I'm running low on puzzzles and feeling the desperation set in.

Maybe you can answer this, Hootie - how many puzzles can you keep downloaded from other users at once? I really hope it's more than 1 or 2, since I'm sure there'll be favorites I'd want to share with other people. That, and it'd be nice to have an archive of user-made content way down the line when people don't go online w/ it anymore.

[quote name='johnnypark']Maybe you can answer this, Hootie - how many puzzles can you keep downloaded from other users at once? I really hope it's more than 1 or 2, since I'm sure there'll be favorites I'd want to share with other people. That, and it'd be nice to have an archive of user-made content way down the line when people don't go online w/ it anymore.[/quote]

Hmm, I think its 10, and as soon as you complete them you can delete them and get more.

bread's done
Back