Question about new games at EBgames..did I get screwed?

Quintox

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
My mom went to EBgames while I was at school to get a game for my little brother (Trauma Center for Wii). She got the display case that said $50 new, took it up to the register, and the guy put a disc in that case, and put tape over the part of the case where you open it. My mom said she wanted a new one, not used, and he said it is.

Disc looks OK, a few finger marks, but still, that's NOT a new game! I thought they had sealed copies behind the counter?

I'm pissed and am about to drive over there and get a refund or the a sealed copy.

It must have been the last one as they usually do have sealed copies behind the counter. Unfortunately, that's the way they do it. And that's why I refuse to buy their "new" display copies. It isn't so much that it isn't sealed, it's the principle of buying a used game at a new price. To me, as soon as they open the game and handle it, it becomes used.

[quote name='Quintox']So can I just take it back and get a refund?[/quote]

You should be able to. Did you open it? I believe their policy is they will accept returns on new games within 7 days. Not sure how they handle the display copy returns. I assume he put the tape over the case to see if you opened it. And if you haven't you should be good to return it.

This has been discussed several times already. If you don't like the practice, try returning it - assuming you didn't remove the tape. You can even go so far as calling corporate if you deem it necessary. I always ask if they have a sealed copy, and if they don't I usually buy elsewhere (unless the price is significantly different).

EB / Gamestop display copies suck. Don't buy them!

The box has been handled by every grimy kid that passes through the store. And display copies = free employee rentals.

Well, at least your purchase HAD a game inside.

Some retailers reshrink used or display demos, and if a customer returned it, it might just be the case & manual. That practice has also been discussed here on CAG a few times, but I don't have the direct links.

Update: This is long, so I'll just paste what I wrote to EBgames.com to summarize.

I recently went to my local EBgames store, and went to purchase a new game. So I picked the game I wanted, and brought it to the counter. Instead of recieving a sealed copy of the game, I got the display case with the "new" game inside. I asked the employee if this was a new game, and he said yes.

Now, how can this be a new game if there is no sealed packaging? I didn't want a dirty display game case and a game that is "new" by their standards. I am active in many gaming forums and I've read of this practice used many times. I know of many other people who are unhappy with this and thus don't shop at EB/Gamestop. I understand that of the new games that come in, 1 has to be used to display, but I don't understand why that game isn't sold as used and not new. A NEW game should be sealed, not opened and sitting on the wall.

When I went to ask for a sealed copy or my money back the same day, I basically got a "it's a new game, nothing wrong with it, sorry". Eventually after arguement I got them to agree on a refund but it was a pain in the neck, and they ended up calling another EBgames in the area and told me that I can go there to get the sealed copy.

That is out of my way and I should have recieved the sealed one in the first place. I understand that it may never have been played (though it had fingerprints on it), but a new game should always be sealed. It'd be like going to buy a car and them telling you the manager drove it a few days to work, but it's still new.

I am not happy at all on my experience and I don't think I will be shopping at EBgames anytime in the future.

Glad to hear you got your money back.

For future reference the car analogy was a bad one to pick as you will never find a new car that has never been driven.

That's part of the reason I stopped shopping at EB/Gamestop. I have gotten display copies with crumbs in the case, scratched discs which means they were obviously used. Most customers don't seem to mind though which is unfortunate because they have been doing this for years.

[quote name='YoshiFan1']That's part of the reason I stopped shopping at EB/Gamestop. I have gotten display copies with crumbs in the case, scratched discs which means they were obviously used. Most customers don't seem to mind though which is unfortunate because they have been doing this for years.[/quote]

Yeah, many game purchasers just don't seem to care too much what kind of condition there game is in. I hate selling used games anywhere really because no one takes into account the condition. I guess you can on ebay but then you have to deal with all of their fees and not knowing if a customer is gonna try to rip you off.

Actually at my gamestop, they don't put the tape on it. So I'm not sure if those make it non-returnable or not. But yea, I refuse to buy it if it's open no matter what they say.

They love screwing people with their "new" games. Gotta love how they also let their employees take the "new" games home and play them.

[quote name='GTZ_NSR']They love screwing people with their "new" games. Gotta love how they also let their employees take the "new" games home and play them.[/quote]
Yeah, I called them out on that at the store. I lied and said I had a friend who used to work at EB and I said he was allowed to take games home, and they stumbled and were like "uh, you're friend must not know..uhmm bblalala" and changed subject.

BTW: I didn't get my $$ back, figured I'd just be getter another game there anyway plus it'd be a pain in the ass and not worth the time. I could have but chose just to keep it and complain to EB about their crappy company.

The joys of videogame retail. Everyone should stop buying from these stores. Deals or not, fuck em.

bread's done
Back