Oblivion: Shivering Isles Discussion

Interesting.

I've got a feeling some aren't going to be happy about it automatically updating your achievement list, even if you don't purchase it.

I'd like to buy it, but I'm a little nervous there may be some mechanism in place to prevent you from using Shipwreck's method of splitting the cost of content. I can justify $15 per Xbox, but $30 for just one system may be too much for me right now.

If $30 is justifiable for the exact same PC expansion ($30 seems about standard for most, Blizzard goes as far as to charge $40 for their Expansion packs), what is it about $30 on the 360 that people are so irritated about?

[quote name='SpecTrE3353']If $30 is justifiable for the exact same PC expansion ($30 seems about standard for most, Blizzard goes as far as to charge $40 for their Expansion packs), what is it about $30 on the 360 that people are so irritated about?[/QUOTE]

Probably because 360 users are only used to paying $10 maximum for what they consider a "microtransaction".

I'm perfectly happy shelling out $30 because that's what it costs on the PC, like you noted. You're gonna get your $30 worth, definitely.

Is this going to be a download only on the 360 or will it have a retail equivalent? The only thing I don't really want to do is spend $30 on digital product, but I will if I have no other choice.

Nevermind, read through the article, it'll be through download on XBL... I really wish they would put out a retail version as well.

This is gonna cost more points than the biggest points card MS has at retail currently, correct? It sucks if thats true, having to buy two cards.

[quote name='NWgamer666']This is gonna cost more points than the biggest points card MS has at retail currently, correct? It sucks if thats true, having to buy two cards.[/QUOTE]

I just thought of that too... that also sucks. You're gonna have 200 points leftover which dosen't buy you shit. Hell, without GGC's, this ends up costing you $40.

[quote name='SpecTrE3353']If $30 is justifiable for the exact same PC expansion ($30 seems about standard for most, Blizzard goes as far as to charge $40 for their Expansion packs), what is it about $30 on the 360 that people are so irritated about?[/QUOTE]

Its the fact that when you buy these PC expansions, you're given a physical disc, manual, etc. I assume no one is questioning whether you're getting a good value, gameplay wise.

If Bethesda offered a disc that installed the data to my hard drive for $30, I'd prefer buying that since I'd have a physical copy in my possession. But to place my faith in Microsoft's Live records of a $30 purchase is something I'm not sure I want to risk especially since I've been burned by their expert record keeping in the past.

I've got a feeling some aren't going to be happy about it automatically updating your achievement list, even if you don't purchase it.

I believe that's something a golfer would call "the needle". It's kind of low, I'll say that.

Sadly, I see an inverse proportion to more and more games/expansions being exclusively offered as DLC, and the existence of the Cheapass Gamer.

[quote name='terribledeli']Its the fact that when you buy these PC expansions, you're given a physical disc, manual, etc. I assume no one is questioning whether you're getting a good value, gameplay wise.

If Bethesda offered a disc that installed the data to my hard drive for $30, I'd prefer buying that since I'd have a physical copy in my possession. But to place my faith in Microsoft's Live records of a $30 purchase is something I'm not sure I want to risk especially since I've been burned by their expert record keeping in the past.[/QUOTE]

I agree with that, and I also think of this - say for whatever reason you decide to sell Oblivion, then you have a $30 expansion sitting on your hard drive that you can't do anything with.

At least with a disc, you could sell that...

$10 is kinda my limit on digital distrubution.

Day 1 download for me. I can't wait. I've put more than 100 hours into Oblivion, and I'll gladly pay $30 for more. I already have the points sitting on my account waiting.

so when exactly in march is this coming out? If it's anything about the nights expansion, it's probably not worht buying. The problem with OBlivion's expanse world is the repetitiveness of ALL the dungeons. They might alter them a little bit but in the end it's all the same.

[quote name='Msut77']How many gigs is it going to be?[/quote]
From what I remember its supposed to be closed to 2 gigs +/-

Are the new achivements worth points or just 0pts achievements?

EDIT: NVM, they are worth points, 200 if I counted correctly.

EDIT2: 250, thanks Rei no Otaku

Apparently, I've heard that Bethesda is going to repackage Shivering Isles and the DLC along with the original game into a new retail package.

Just heard it from fellow CAG's who said they read it in OXM.

At any rate, I'll just sell straight up sell my Oblivion now, because whether I'll have to get it for the PC or in a newly repackaged 360 version, dropping $30 for DLC is crazy (imo) simply because I don't generally keep my games when I'm done with them, and this is $30 I'll never ever get back and can't use again if I were to sell Oblivion.

Luckily I didn't get any of the other DLC's... was planning on it soon, but now I'll just wait to see what Bethesda is going to do.

And don't forget that most PC expansion are usually 10 dollars off MSRP the week of release somewhere. That is what really irks me about forcing people to buy this through XBL. They should at least be like steam and offer a discount for people who pre-order content.

I sold my copy of Oblivion a few days ago and got $27 for it at EB. I'll just buy it again once they re-release it with all of the expansion packs.

[quote name='Roufuss']Apparently, I've heard that Bethesda is going to repackage Shivering Isles and the DLC along with the original game into a new retail package.

Just heard it from fellow CAG's who said they read it in OXM.

At any rate, I'll just sell straight up sell my Oblivion now, because whether I'll have to get it for the PC or in a newly repackaged 360 version, dropping $30 for DLC is crazy (imo) simply because I don't generally keep my games when I'm done with them, and this is $30 I'll never ever get back and can't use again if I were to sell Oblivion.

Luckily I didn't get any of the other DLC's... was planning on it soon, but now I'll just wait to see what Bethesda is going to do.[/QUOTE]

Here, here. Can anyone else confirm this? Exactly the information I was waiting to hear - I never took the plunge for that very reason. But the DLC on retail disc... very tempting.

-Dr. Ugly

[quote name='CAG 79']I sold my copy of Oblivion a few days ago and got $27 for it at EB. I'll just buy it again once they re-release it with all of the expansion packs.[/quote]If I can get around $30 at Game Crazy for this, then I think I'm going to trade it away. I was looking forward to the expansion, but $30 to have 2 gigs taken away from my hard drive isn't quite the right price for me. I'll wait for the GOTY edition, and I've already beaten the game, so not being able to go through it again for awhile isn't a big deal.

Shit, there's too much to spend my points on these days. I guess that's a good thing, but I don't think I will purchase this until I've beaten Oblivion (only like 20 hours left :)).

I wouldn't hesitate at $30 if this were on a disc, but I really hate that price for DLC. The same price as the PC version, without any physical box? At least if I buy a CD from itunes I'm usually saving a few bucks.

I haven't gotten all 1000 points in Oblivion yet, so I'll just stick to what's on the disc for a while and see what happens. Bethesda was blaming MS on some podcast, stating that there were system security reasons they couldn't get it out on disc on 360. Funny, seeing that I've gotten several free DLC pieces from the OXM demo discs now.

Unfortunately, I see this as the way going forward. If these things sell well, and cuts out the used game market, there will be big incentive for devs to release stuff on the digital format.

After a lot of thinking, I'm going to hold off for the GotY edition...I'd just much rather have a box, book and physical disk.

[quote name='fraggedbylaggers']WTF I saw Shivering Isles for the PC for $20 at EB yesterday! Maybe a pricing error...[/QUOTE]

Yea, it's an error, it's definitely $30.

I cannot believe it's $30 for DLC. This is what PS3 is doing with their downloadable games also. Tekken 5 for $20....plus no break on point cards (like GGC for 1600 points).

I prefer to get a physical disc if I pay $20+ for a game....

You DO need the original to play this, correct? Just curious as I sold mine a while back.

[quote name='doubledown']I cannot believe it's $30 for DLC. This is what PS3 is doing with their downloadable games also. Tekken 5 for $20....plus no break on point cards (like GGC for 1600 points).

I prefer to get a physical disc if I pay $20+ for a game....

You DO need the original to play this, correct? Just curious as I sold mine a while back.[/quote]

Yes. Original Oblivion required to play.

Glad I didn't buy this yet. I'm waiting for the GOTY edition. Hopefully it will include all expansion packs for $59.99.

I agree with all of you that this is pretty crummy. Though I'm just happy that they put it on the 360 to begin with, which surprised the hell out of me. I'll buy it anyways because I'm a whore like that.

Isn't it technically $24 for the CAGs? 1600 pts card = $20 - $5 GGC + tax = about $16. 100 pts per dollar.

I'm more hesitant about the file size.

[quote name='polly']Isn't it technically $24 for the CAGs? 1600 pts card = $20 - $5 GGC + tax = about $16. 100 pts per dollar.

I'm more hesitant about the file size.[/QUOTE]

I'm more concerned about the whole "unable to play it offline if you replace your 360."

So uh, anyone that downloaded it before downtime came up have any problems today? Got home and turned it on and my dark elf is completely naked.

[quote name='TrenoV']So uh, anyone that downloaded it before downtime came up have any problems today? Got home and turned it on and my dark elf is completely naked.[/quote]

PICZ?!!?!?!?!?!?

[quote name='CAG 79']Is it true that you can only play the expansion online?

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/776/776209p1.html?RSSwhen2007-03-27_121600&RSSid=776209[/QUOTE]

You only need to be online if you aren't playing on the 360 you originally downloaded it from.

"I'm more concerned about the whole "unable to play it offline if you replace your 360."

Me too. I am having serious doubts about purchasing the expansion for that very reason. I am currently bickering with MS in an attempt to get a points refund on some stuff I had on my old 360 system. I do not have high speed internet of my own, so I can't access all of my content when I want to use it.

^I hope that when the bigger hard drive and the Elite come out that Microsoft eases up on the 360's DRM. I would hope they implement some sort of account migration feature, that would let you link your Gamertag and all of your content to a new 360 and/or hard drive once every 1-3 months, so that people who get a replacement 360 or buy a new hard drive don't have to be online for their content to work.

[quote name='polly']Isn't it technically $24 for the CAGs? 1600 pts card = $20 - $5 GGC + tax = about $16. 100 pts per dollar.

I'm more hesitant about the file size.[/quote]That's the way I look at it. And then I have a friend to split the cost, using the trick shipwreck came up with, so this thing costs me $12, which seems like a more than fair price. The trick does work for this, right? I'm going to check around before I try it, because I heard talks a long time ago that this expansion may be different than normal content.

[quote name='Strider Turbulence']Me too. I am having serious doubts about purchasing the expansion for that very reason. I am currently bickering with MS in an attempt to get a points refund on some stuff I had on my old 360 system. I do not have high speed internet of my own, so I can't access all of my content when I want to use it.[/QUOTE]

It makes me wary of what'll happen when the Xbox 720 rolls around -- even with the detachable hard-drive, are we going to be screwed out of importing our content and saves again? Magic eight ball says: All signs point to 'yes'.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']so anyone hit Sheogorath? cmon! best part of the expansion and nobody tries it yet?[/quote]

Read about it and it sounds hillarious. 200 points shy right now so I have to wait on my card to come in from amazone before I can try.

Hitting sheo was awesome. Main quest line seemed pretty short, but was really cool. Shadowrend rules.

bread's done
Back