Who the shaq-fu does Jim Rome think he is?

help1

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
Now, a lot of CAG's may not know who Jim Rome is, but he is a bum "analyst" on ESPN who somehow has his own show "Jim Rome is Burning" What's amazing is that this show manages to be worse than Steven A's show!

This guy is a class act, too. He is constantly taking stabs at players in his "Final Burn" in which he critisizes people, mostly players, for some of the shittiest reasons!

The only reason this guy is still on the air is that his show is before what I call the "ATH/PTI Power Hour" in which ratings jump up right at 4:59 for people waiting to see ATH followed by PTI.

I hate how this guy thinks he is the shit. He is like JimmieMac on TV.

/rant

he does suck, but imo most of the analyst that espn has on air these days suck just as bad. I can't stand the baseball tonight crew...john kruk sucks, fernado vino sucks and the only thing he should be remebered for is albert belle forearm to the head, oreal hershishers is rather weak but compared to the rest he is ok, and the former gm of the mets sucks as well...the only guys they should let talk for baseball is olney and gammons.

Jim Rome is the man. He's the only major sports figurehead who doesn't hold any punches when addressing these over-pampered million dollar athletes. Basically he doesn't care about being politically correct and sucking up to everyone in his industry, unlike most of his competitors.
You may not like his opinions, but his show is an opinion show. Nobody is forcing you to watch it.

I'm just curious- what caused this thread's creation?

I'm not a big hockey fan but I think the best analyst for ESPN is Barry Melrose; he's the only guy who really gives the sense that he knows his sport, though perhaps it's because I know very little about hockey that I think that.

[quote name='uncbaseballfreak']Jim Rome is the man. He's the only major sports figurehead who doesn't hold any punches when addressing these over-pampered million dollar athletes. Basically he doesn't care about being politically correct and sucking up to everyone in his industry, unlike most of his competitors.
You may not like his opinions, but his show is an opinion show. Nobody is forcing you to watch it.

I'm just curious- what caused this thread's creation?[/quote]

There are other ways to do this than be an ass hat.

[quote name='dopa345']I'm not a big hockey fan but I think the best analyst for ESPN is Barry Melrose; he's the only guy who really gives the sense that he knows his sport, though perhaps it's because I know very little about hockey that I think that.[/quote]

Oo, the canadian guy? That guy rocks. He is respectable and respects that ESPN doesn't cover the NHL as much as it should.

Just as often as often as he rips players, he defends them, or even commends them. Yes he is arrogant, confident, and if you disagree with him, probably an "ass hat", but that's his personality, and that is what is necessary to hold down a single-man opinion show.
He's the sports version of "Papa Bear" Bill O'Reilly (who I also enjoy).

I remember the Jim Everett thing, damn I wish the cameras hadn't cut out. I wanted to see Jim Rome get his ass kicked so bad. I bet he cried like a little girl.

[quote name='help1']http://www.aolsportsblog.com/2007/04/04/eric-wynalda-jim-rome-can-suck-my-d/

You don't insult a player on your show by saying his sport sucks right to his face.[/QUOTE]

Of course he says that. Jim hates soccer so it makes sense that a soccer player is going to say that.

And JRIB is but a shell of the Jungle. The jungle is some good shit because the interviews are better, the callers are hilarious, and he loves to talk shit.

And what is he supposed to do help1, try and act with kid gloves around athletes like everyone else does? He calls things the way he sees them and while he isn't always right, he is almost always entertaining.

The only other person on ESPN in his league is Skip Bayless, which makes sense since he is a frequent stand in for Jim Rome and is quite good at it. If he had his own radio show I would probably listen to it as well.

ESPN is now almost a caricature of what it used to be.

Catchphrases and trying to be "cool" ruined what used to be a good sports network. I don't see how anybody can watch Sportscenter any more.

[quote name='uncbaseballfreak']Jim Rome is the man. He's the only major sports figurehead who doesn't hold any punches when addressing these over-pampered million dollar athletes. Basically he doesn't care about being politically correct and sucking up to everyone in his industry, unlike most of his competitors.

I'm just curious- what caused this thread's creation?[/quote]

I used to listen to his radio show for like a year or two back around 2000-2002. I thought he was alright, I listen to it just for the whole "shock" factor, he's basically the sports radio equal of Bill O' Reily, just saying stupid shit to get more attention.

I remember the Jim Everett interview. I respect having your own opinion and not being afraid to voice it, but that's not what Rome does. He knew (because Everett told him so) that he was about to start a fight if he kept mouthing off and that's just what he did. How is calling a man "Chrissy" voicing your opinion? Jim Rome is all about the headlines and getting to hear his own name.

Dee Brown is a ignorant Analyst. But he's a tad bit smarter than Tim Hardaway who was also a ESPN analyst for sometime.

As for Jim Rome his sytle is consistent or rather tamed down from his radio show the jungle. He would make fun of retards if ESPN allowed him to. He is not a Analyst but rather a host that shares his narrow minded opinions.

I'm just curious- what caused this thread's creation?[/QUOTE]

I hate when people say athletes are over paid whiners or pampered or whatever.
Those people work hard every day to stay in top form. They've worked hard for years to get where they are at.

Like Bo Jackson for example. When he was in High school during the 5 minute break between classes. He would do push-ups or wind sprints. Little things like that.

Now athletes aren't gods by any means. But like anyone who has worked hard all their life to get successful. They do deserve respect.

I fully agree with you that athletes do not reach the professional level without years of hard work. For that and their amazing athletic talent they deserve a lot of respect. What I am saying is that on the professional level, they are surrounded by people who constantly pamper them, tell them they are the greatest, and do anything they can to convince the athletes that they are the "best ever."

Unless there is something I don't know, Jim Rome worked hard to host a show on ESPN by himself. Journalists are hard workers as well as athletes. They deserve respect too.

And JRIB is but a shell of the Jungle. The jungle is some good shit because the interviews are better, the callers are hilarious, and he loves to talk shit.

Rack him!

The Jungle ain't what it used to be, though. It's kind of been the same schtick with minor variations in vernacular for over a decade now, and he's leaning too much on that 'Master Mix' of soundbytes or whatever it's called. The athletes, ninety percent of the time, are just as boring as ever.

I can't see him doing what he's doing too much longer. 'Angry surfer' jargon isn't going to fly as well coming from the mouth of a midlife crisis candidate. Maybe he's burning (rimshot) himself out with the daily smack-talk double-shift right now so that he can have that early retirement that much earlier.

He used to be that confrontational on a consistent basis. He pulled the plug on the Baltimore feed because "the monkey" was "jerking with The Jungle", he basically hung up on one of the Smothers Brothers (long story) after giving his 'version' of a golf event, he used to really lay into NASCAR hard, and basically everything most people apparently hate about him now was twice as intensified.

[quote name='uncbaseballfreak']I fully agree with you that athletes do not reach the professional level without years of hard work. For that and their amazing athletic talent they deserve a lot of respect. What I am saying is that on the professional level, they are surrounded by people who constantly pamper them, tell them they are the greatest, and do anything they can to convince the athletes that they are the "best ever."

Unless there is something I don't know, Jim Rome worked hard to host a show on ESPN by himself. Journalists are hard workers as well as athletes. They deserve respect too.[/quote]
Well, its not like professional players that are respected are ass-hats. Cases in point: Tmac, Steve Nash, Tiki Barber. These guys are classy and deserve respect.

Let's also remember that there are plenty of other 'choads' and 'asshats' in sports talk radio, locally and nationally. I remember hearing on Steve Czaban about three years ago, liking him initially, and then hearing him specifically and sincerely say "Thank God for George Bush!" Well, fuck you, "Czabe", as not only do I disagree, but it's shit like that that most of us flee to sports talk in order to escape! Of course, he was on Fox Sports Radio, so he continued to unapologetically trumpet his political alignment.

At least Rome comes across as a jaded, apolitical centrist that's smart enough to keep that shit at bay. Seriously, after listening to him for years now, I couldn't even begin to guess which way he leans. And that's a good thing.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']The only other person on ESPN in his league is Skip Bayless, which makes sense since he is a frequent stand in for Jim Rome and is quite good at it. If he had his own radio show I would probably listen to it as well.[/quote]Skip Bayless has said so many ridiculous things, I've stopped watching Cold Pizza altogether. The last straw was when Bayless blamed Kevin Garnett, and ONLY Kevin Garnett, for being a "coach killer", and the reason behind the terrible Timberwolves.

[quote name='uncbaseballfreak']I fully agree with you that athletes do not reach the professional level without years of hard work. For that and their amazing athletic talent they deserve a lot of respect. What I am saying is that on the professional level, they are surrounded by people who constantly pamper them, tell them they are the greatest, and do anything they can to convince the athletes that they are the "best ever."

Unless there is something I don't know, Jim Rome worked hard to host a show on ESPN by himself. Journalists are hard workers as well as athletes. They deserve respect too.[/QUOTE]

Well those people saying they are the best ever. Come with money, those are just leeches looking for money. Hell your local "mattress king" proly has those people around him telling him he's the best Mattress salesmen in the country.

I agree with you journalists statement like I said "But like anyone who has worked hard all their life to get successful. They do deserve respect."

[quote name='help1']Well, its not like professional players that are respected are ass-hats. Cases in point: Tmac, Steve Nash, Tiki Barber. These guys are classy and deserve respect.[/QUOTE]

Although this is not a fond comparison IMHO, an athlete like Barry Bonds reminds me of Jim Rome.

I'm not a BB fan and don't condone his suspected actions associated with steroids; but I still respect his ability to perform on a high level and recognize his fans' allegiance. I will never but a Bonds jersey, but I can still acknowledge his ability.

Just because a player is a complete jerk doesn't mean he shouldn't garner respect strictly for his athletic performance.

[quote name='uncbaseballfreak']Although this is not a fond comparison IMHO, an athlete like Barry Bonds reminds me of Jim Rome.

I'm not a BB fan and don't condone his suspected actions associated with steroids; but I still respect his ability to perform on a high level and recognize his fans' allegiance. I will never but a Bonds jersey, but I can still acknowledge his ability.

Just because a player is a complete jerk doesn't mean he shouldn't garner respect strictly for his athletic performance.[/quote]I acknowledged Bonds ability back when he used to hit 40 homers a year, not when he's hitting 73, and growing like an angry Bruce Banner.

Jim Rome, Stephen A. Smith, Skip Bayless... and counting

ESPN is definetly not what it used to be, I usually just watch ESPN news now

While I have no opinion of Jim Rome, I do think PTI is one of the best shows on television and has been since its inception. I think Bayless is alright and that Gammons is decent, now that he openly admits he's a Red Sox fan (something he basically denied for years by coming down hard on their every move). Stephen A. Smith is hilarious because he is so angry, although he has calmed down since he has gotten his own show and has therefore lost me as a viewer when I want to laugh. Bill O' Reily is absolutely awful and I enjoy watching Jon Stewart and Colbert kick his @$$ with their wit and their superior interviews (Colbert is starting to become an outstanding interviewer who can mix in being serious with humor). I also like Melrose when I watch Hockey and I do think Sportscenter isn't nearly what it was in the early 90's (when I was in middle school). I do know how to fix that though...

If you have been to ESPN.com there is a writer called the Sports Guy, Bill Simmons. I have been reading his column for over year and think that ESPN should put him on Sportscenter at least once a week, make him a basketball anaylist, and realize that he is a talent before someone else does and steals him away. The dude has well reasoned opinions (whether I agree or disagree which is about 50-50), and seems to really be in touch with his readers. Get him in Bristol now!

I remember listening to the Jungle when Neems called in a couple of times - the last time Romey gave Weems a chance to redeem himself and Neems broke into some shitty song he had written. Rome tore into him, and it was one of the funnier things I've ever heard on the Jungle.

As far as ESPN goes, I hate most everyone on there. Is Bob Ley still on? Cool guy that didn't catchphrase everything, and Charley Steiner was damned awesome.

Berman is a hugely-overrated assbag, and it's mainly his fault that all of the damn stupid catchphrasing started. It never was good, and it isn't now. Stuart Scott ran with that too, now I'm waiting for the ESPN Deportes folks to start in.

Ugh, how cany anyone watch PTI anymore? Tony Kornheiser does nothing but try to get in his stupid little pop culture jokes, and his constant "I thought he was your boy" bits that he is always throwing around are so damn annoying. I don't have a problem with Wilbon, but it seems like Kornheiser only knows pop culture, American Idol, and Northeastern sports.

[quote name='help1']Now, a lot of CAG's may not know who Jim Rome is, but he is a bum "analyst" on ESPN who somehow has his own show "Jim Rome is Burning" What's amazing is that this show manages to be worse than Steven A's show!

This guy is a class act, too. He is constantly taking stabs at players in his "Final Burn" in which he critisizes people, mostly players, for some of the shittiest reasons!

The only reason this guy is still on the air is that his show is before what I call the "ATH/PTI Power Hour" in which ratings jump up right at 4:59 for people waiting to see ATH followed by PTI.

I hate how this guy thinks he is the shit. He is like JimmieMac on TV.

/rant[/quote]

Hey hey, I agree with help1 on this one. I hate Jim Rome. Very rarely do I tune in and on those occasions I do, I usually hate it. Here and there he'll have an ok episode, but 99% of the time its just stupid vitriol and boring discussion.

Actually, you pretty much hit the nail right on the head on every point. Great argument. Everything you said is right.

ATH/PTI Power Hour is what I call it as well. those are my two favorite shows on ESPN. Actually, if it's not for a sports game, then that's the only thing I really watch on ESPN. I really enjoy ATH and they could not have picked a better replacement after Max Kellerman left (ba-bye...look where you're at now...nowhere:lol:) . Reali (sp) just does a bang up job and the panel is usually very well versed. I even enjoy the ones that get on my nerves like Mariotti. It's a blast to watch. PTI is always good, except for when they have Jason Whitock guest hosting or as a stand-in for somebody. I like when Mariotti, Bob Ryan, Michael Smith, or Dan Le batard (he's really gotten better over time and has shown a lot of improvement, though Kornheiser always beats him) have been on. Whitlock just bores the shit out of me and when he's on I know it's time to see if anything else is on.

[quote name='dopa345']I'm not a big hockey fan but I think the best analyst for ESPN is Barry Melrose; he's the only guy who really gives the sense that he knows his sport, though perhaps it's because I know very little about hockey that I think that.[/quote]

Yup, I used to love Hockey but the hold out and other stuff made my interest really wane in the sport. I'm mostly a Basketball/American Football/Soccer sort of a guy anway. Since he's been covering Hockey he's definitely gotten my interest back. Too bad they hardly air it on normal channels.

[quote name='primetime']He's an idiot and a blowhard- a bad combination.[/quote]

Yup and don't forget asshat.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Skip Bayless has said so many ridiculous things, I've stopped watching Cold Pizza altogether. The last straw was when Bayless blamed Kevin Garnett, and ONLY Kevin Garnett, for being a "coach killer", and the reason behind the terrible Timberwolves.[/quote]

I know he can say some ridiculous things, but I like him and his charisma. he's got a great TV personality and he makes a great team with Woody Page/Paige on 1st and ten.

[quote name='Otherguy676']While I have no opinion of Jim Rome, I do think PTI is one of the best shows on television and has been since its inception. I think Bayless is alright and that Gammons is decent, now that he openly admits he's a Red Sox fan (something he basically denied for years by coming down hard on their every move). Stephen A. Smith is hilarious because he is so angry, although he has calmed down since he has gotten his own show and has therefore lost me as a viewer when I want to laugh. Bill O' Reily is absolutely awful and I enjoy watching Jon Stewart and Colbert kick his @$$ with their wit and their superior interviews (Colbert is starting to become an outstanding interviewer who can mix in being serious with humor). I also like Melrose when I watch Hockey and I do think Sportscenter isn't nearly what it was in the early 90's (when I was in middle school). I do know how to fix that though...

If you have been to ESPN.com there is a writer called the Sports Guy, Bill Simmons. I have been reading his column for over year and think that ESPN should put him on Sportscenter at least once a week, make him a basketball anaylist, and realize that he is a talent before someone else does and steals him away. The dude has well reasoned opinions (whether I agree or disagree which is about 50-50), and seems to really be in touch with his readers. Get him in Bristol now![/quote]

I'll have to check this guy out since my sentiments on the different hosts and commentators are pretty much spot on with yours.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Yup, I used to love Hockey but the hold out and other stuff made my interest really wane in the sport. I'm mostly a Basketball/American Football/Soccer sort of a guy anway. Since he's been covering Hockey he's definitely gotten my interest back. Too bad they hardly air it on normal channels.

I know he can say some ridiculous things, but I like him and his charisma. he's got a great TV personality and he makes a great team with Woody Page/Paige on 1st and ten.[/quote]

YEa, the NHL being on Versus isn't helping anyone. Woody paige is pretty awesome, and i do enjoy to see what he will write on his black dry marker board when he is on ATH.

Jim Rome can be pretty entertaining. I miss listening to Dan Patrick since I moved and don't get ESPN radio in the car anymore. So now I listen to Rome. I also liked Dan Patrick on Sportscenter (at least when sportscenter was good). Does anyone remember a few years ago when they tried adding live bands to sportscenter. That show has gotten unwatchable. I now watch FSN's sports highlights at night.

Rome is an asshat, but wasn't that fight staged. I know I've read it was somewhere. I can't remember where though.

[quote name='2Fast']Around the Horn > Pardon the Interruption, since its inception.[/quote]

Really is a matter of opinion. Depends if you like information or humor, since each once leans to another side.

I've got nothing against Jim Rome. Does he sometimes go over the line? Sure, but at least he has the balls to go out and say what he's thinking.

As for ATH vs. PTI, I've always preferred PTI. Kornheiser and Wilbon are great. In my opinion ATH never truly recovered from Max Kellerman leaving the show.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Is there a reason you're quoting the movie "Ransom" during a discussion about Jim Rome?[/QUOTE]

If you listened to his show you would know why. He wore that shit out whenever Mel went crazy.

bread's done
Back