Who the shaq-fu does Jim Rome think he is?

[quote name='captainfrizo']I've got nothing against Jim Rome. Does he sometimes go over the line? Sure, but at least he has the balls to go out and say what he's thinking.[/quote]

So does Ann Coulter, but that doesn't make it justified, right, or good.

As for ATH vs. PTI, I've always preferred PTI. Kornheiser and Wilbon are great. In my opinion ATH never truly recovered from Max Kellerman leaving the show.

I don't know, it's off and on. Some weeks I can just love ATH for striaght weeks where it may seem like PTI is lagging, but then PTI can just as much turn it around. To tell you the truth, I've always preferred Riali to Kellerman. Don't get me wrong, Kellerman was good, but he came off plenty of times as a douche. Still, I really liked him when he was on and was shocked when he left. Riali makes an equally capable host. In truth, I actually feel that Riali has more of an on air personality and I love when mutes someone for saying something stupid or ragging on Woody.

Never really caught his show on TV but his syndicated radio show cracks me up. It isn't just him either, his listeners write in the most hilarious emails that he reads off on his show. I guess I'm in the minority but I rather enjoy Stephen A's radio show as well. I find that both of them act like "themselves" more on the radio than on TV which is why I find their talk radio shows more enjoyable.

Jim Rome has been a piece of crap from the day he graced God's green earth. Those clones of his try so hard to be witty in writing letters to the show and it comes off really stupid.

He and Colin Cowherd are two of the shittiest sports personalities to ever air on sports radio.

Mike and Mike are generally great. Craig Shemon and James Washington are awful, especially J Dub. Dan Patrick was ok until he started inviting Olbermann on. The Drive on Fox is good, but it has been awhile since I listened to them.

Mike and Mike suck hard. They repeat the same three topics the whole four hours and the only interruption in this cycle are interviews. You can turn them on, listen for ten minutes, turn them off, and pick up an hour later and you won't have missed anything. Hell you might even pick them up mid sentence from where you turned off.

Rome at least works to provide a decent show and puts some effort into what is discussed and why it is discussed.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Dan Patrick was ok until he started inviting Olbermann on. [/QUOTE]

Olbermann is the best part of the show.

Rome's radio show is pretty good. I don't catch it that often, but when I do, he's usually speaking the truth.

And that fight with Chris, I mean Jim Everett was absolutely hilarious, staged or not.

[quote name='buttasuperb']Olbermann is the best part of the show.[/quote]

Listening to Dan Patrick try to match wit and humor with him is not though.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']If you listened to his show you would know why. He wore that shit out whenever Mel went crazy.[/quote]I don't listen to Rome, he's not on in this area of the country. My station used to carry him, but they wised up and dropped him.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']Mike and Mike suck hard. They repeat the same three topics the whole four hours and the only interruption in this cycle are interviews. You can turn them on, listen for ten minutes, turn them off, and pick up an hour later and you won't have missed anything. Hell you might even pick them up mid sentence from where you turned off.

Rome at least works to provide a decent show and puts some effort into what is discussed and why it is discussed.[/quote]

I love Mike and Mike, and can't stand Jim Rome cause he's a douchefuck.

[quote name='MorbidAngel4Life']I love Mike and Mike, and can't stand Jim Rome cause he's a douchefuck.[/quote]

He may be a douche, but he doesn't continually plug his weight loss system, talk about his kid, his other job, and the same sports topic repeatedly. I will take the douche over the waffling middle aged whiny guys any day of the week.

Seriously that show is the Regis and Kathie Lee of sports shows except that it lasts four hours.

The only way that show even gets any type of action is that it is attached to ESPN and they have the power to get good guests. That is the only thing that keeps the show on the air.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']He may be a douche, but he doesn't continually plug his weight loss system, talk about his kid, his other job, and the same sports topic repeatedly. I will take the douche over the waffling middle aged whiny guys any day of the week.

Seriously that show is the Regis and Kathie Lee of sports shows except that it lasts four hours.

The only way that show even gets any type of action is that it is attached to ESPN and they have the power to get good guests. That is the only thing that keeps the show on the air.[/quote]

You should listen to Colin Cowherd. The man repeats the same point he tries to make at least seven times before he moves on. Plus he badmouthed Eddie Guerrero when he died a few years ago.

Mike and Mike just seem like regular guys and Rome seems to be in love with his voice.

The more posts I see in this forum about the state of ESPN, the more I am convinced they need to somehow get Bill Simmons on the air (The Sports Guy). If anyone wants to check him out, go to ESPN.com, check out his archives and read his running diary of the NCAA tournament. He has great insight and his genuinely funny.

I don't get ESPN. Colin Cowherd rips Eddie Guerrero after he dies, saying nobody should care about him dying. Oh, and he also ripped Kirby Puckett after HE died, bringing up the possibility that Puckett was on steroids, despite Puckett only hitting 30+ homers once. So after all that, they promote him, and give him his own segments on Sportscenter, and his own show on ESPN Classic.

Max Kellerman left and had a very good show I thought in I,Max. But once his brother was killed, he took a leave of absence and the show suffered.

ATH is alright, a nice segway to PTI. PTI is total class, honestly, MNF should just have those two, they'd be great.

[quote name='ph33r m3']Max Kellerman left and had a very good show I thought in I,Max. But once his brother was killed, he took a leave of absence and the show suffered.

ATH is alright, a nice segway to PTI. PTI is total class, honestly, MNF should just have those two, they'd be great.[/quote]

I really liked I, Max. I wish Michael Holley was still on ATH.

On the subject of Jim Rome, I used to not like him, but now I don't mind his show.

If you listen to Rome on the radio, you can tell that he is reading 90% of the stuff he is saying. But when it is obvious that a caller is reading his/her "take", he rips them to shreds for sounding so scripted.

[quote name='2Fast']Around the Horn > Pardon the Interruption, since its inception.[/QUOTE]

Are you serious? PTI is the best show on ESPN. I mean come on, Tony Reali aka statboy? Please! Wilbon and Kornheiser are great together. Around the Horn just pits four blowhards against each other to see who can talk louder. I will say that Around the Horn was better when Max Kellerman was on there.

I, Max was an awesome show--sad to see it go, but seriously, I hardly ever watched it, because it was at a bad time in my area. Probably why it died.

Jim Rome's TV show is merely a micro taste of his daily radio show. He waters down his takes from the radio for TV. If you listen to his show, he is not always agreeable, but he's usually entertaining, and at times downright "oh my god I have to pull over so I don't crash" hilarious. His show is an aquired taste--it takes a few listens before you start to get what it is about. He'll call out players when it is appropriate, but he also gives them props when they do good/great things too.

Colin Cowherd I used to really like when it first came on around here, but lately his shows have been super-mega-extremely redundant. I like how he formulates arguments, but he also doesn't admit when he's wrong on a show, and will flip-flop from one day to the next on topics. I like that he's a northwest "guy" though, and will stand up for west-coast sports teams, because most of the talking heads on radio and TV are really ignorant (at best) about the "other" shore. Colin will often even get analysts on his show to bring them to task if they say something stupid, which makes for entertaining discussions.

[quote name='Otherguy676']
If you have been to ESPN.com there is a writer called the Sports Guy, Bill Simmons. I have been reading his column for over year and think that ESPN should put him on Sportscenter at least once a week, make him a basketball anaylist, and realize that he is a talent before someone else does and steals him away. The dude has well reasoned opinions (whether I agree or disagree which is about 50-50), and seems to really be in touch with his readers. Get him in Bristol now![/quote]
Just read a few of that guy's articles, all of them were great.

Yeah, I think some of you only know of his tv show. Let me tell you, the radio show is 100x better imo. Rome can be a dick, but at least hes being a dick to dumb athletes or ignorant callers. Rome is a big suck up though. Its kinda funny how he always calls everyone he likes a "class act," everytime. Listen to his radio show, its good.

Did Rome ever appologized for the Chris Everett thing?

Half-heartedly acknowledged that he was younger, being stupid etc., but predictably stopped short of any sort of apology. It's just not in the guy's polarizing nature.

(He actually brought it up for whatever reason just a few days ago. I don't think the reason was because he's a CAG lurker...but maybe "J-Stew" is?)

bread's done
Back