Most Under rated Xbox titles?

MillerTime2523

CAGiversary!
Feedback
119 (99%)
What are some of your favorite Xbox games that are under rated for various reasons?

The under rated game I can think of is Max Payne 2. I bought it because it was like $1.50 @ EB Games (How it was cheaper than Madden 05 & March Madness 04 I have no clue). Anyway, I just picked it up because I had a 3rd game free in the B2G1 sale, and I love it. Between bullet time & slow motion action the game is sick. If you ever find it at EB i'd suggest picking it up.

I'm sure there are a lot of games out there that I should have picked up, but passed over because of the names or developers.

What do you guys think?

Advent Rising.

Got a lot of hate due to it's glitches, but I played both versions (PC and Xbox) and while the PC version was better due to glitches, the Xbox version was far from unplayable.

Awesome game...sucks they aren't going to make the sequels though.

I wouldn't consider Max Payne 2 under rated, it was more or less the perfect rental. The price is probably the outcome of some trade in deals and excess printing.

Anyways in terms of cheap budget priced Xbox games that some may consider under rated, I would suggest:

Yager
Hulk Ultimate Destruction (maybe not under rated)
kill.switch
Armed and Dangerous
Breakdown

[quote name='whoknows']Advent Rising.

Got a lot of hate due to it's glitches, but I played both versions (PC and Xbox) and while the PC version was better due to glitches, the Xbox version was far from unplayable.

Awesome game...sucks they aren't going to make the sequels though.[/QUOTE]

The fact they are not making a sequel creates a reason not to play this game. The cliffhanger ending pissed me off because I was so enthralled with the game, which is a testament to the fact that it was playable despite its glitches.

[quote name='prisonerac']The fact they are not making a sequel creates a reason not to play this game. The cliffhanger ending pissed me off because I was so enthralled with the game, which is a testament to the fact that it was playable despite its glitches.[/QUOTE]
I disagree.

It's a fun and enjoyable game. Even though the sequels are indefinitely postponed I still think the game is worth playing. The ending will piss you off, yes, but you'll get over it.

Gladius. I don't know if it's underrated, exactly, but it certainly isn't mentioned much. There are hardly any turn based strategy games on the Xbox, but this game would shine no matter what (I turn off the button twitch hit meter mechanic). It's very close to my favorite console game of that generation. I played through it on GC before I got an Xbox, but I had to pick up for XBox once I had one. It's actually a tiny bit better on GC because of the load times, the graphics are on par. The PS2 version is inferior, load times are terrible and the graphics are slightly worse.

[quote name='whoknows']I disagree.

It's a fun and enjoyable game. Even though the sequels are indefinitely postponed I still think the game is worth playing. The ending will piss you off, yes, but you'll get over it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it is still fun I just found the idea of knowing that there is no sequal going into it a bit of a let down. Of course I am still holding my breath for a sequal to Shenmue 2.

[quote name='Scorch']Breakdown
Indigo Prophecy
Still Life
Freedom Fighters
Psi-Ops[/QUOTE]

Man I stil have not finished Still Life, that cooking puzzle ruined the atmosphere. Serial Killers and baking just do not mix in my book.

Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction - Well reviewed, but horrendously underplayed. Anyone who thinks the greatest aspect of Crackdown is the jumping and climbing can thank IH:UD for inspiring the designers, and ought to play IH:UD as it has a FAR more robust climbing/jumping/melee mechanic.

Burnout 2: Director's Cut - The best Burnout/boost mechanic in any racing game, coupled with the arcade fun of wreckless driving for points equals the single most intense racer I've ever played. You see, unlike in the latter releases of Burnout 3 and Burnout Revenge and so on, Burnout (or boost) is developed until the bar is full, at which point it can be used (and only at this point). Once you begin to boost, you can either stop at any time to save yourself and then refill your bar to reuse it, or you can boost all the way until your meter is empty, thereby adding a multiplier and refilling your bar instantly. Racing through oncoming traffic on a Burnout x8 is more nerve-wracking than surgery. This is fact.

Spider-Man 2 - Again, well reviewed, but criminally underplayed. Not until IH:UD had there been a more perfect recreation of BEING the superhero you play. Swinging around is still more fun than smashing things, though, ridiculous as that may sound.

The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay - The most beautiful game on the XBox with the best first-person melee gameplay I've encountered. Sneaking around in the dark is thrilling, and wrestling a shotgun out of a soldier's hands to have him blast himself in the face with it is forever satisfying. Good acting, and I've never been so excited to get a new shank before!

Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy - Once again, well reviewed, but (insert adjective of negative hyperbole) underplayed. Throwing dudes around with your mind has yet to be replicated in such a fun, fluid, intuitive manner.

[quote name='supershammy']Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction - Well reviewed, but horrendously underplayed. Anyone who thinks the greatest aspect of Crackdown is the jumping and climbing can thank IH:UD for inspiring the designers, and ought to play IH:UD as it has a FAR more robust climbing/jumping/melee mechanic.[/quote]

don't forget, it also has far more variety in the side-missions/mini-games.

[quote name='Scorch']Breakdown
Indigo Prophecy
Still Life
Freedom Fighters
Psi-Ops[/quote]

I couldn't get into Breakdown. I really wanted to like the game but it didn't work out that way. I still have to give a lot of respect to the developers for trying something new though.

The Thing

I saw this mentioned in another thread and reminded me about how underappreciated it is. I think it is $3.99 used at EB and it is a very good game. BC also.

I also thought Scrapland was pretty good.

Otogi 1/Otogi 2: Both receiving below the average of 82% is absurd for one of the best games on the XBox. Both games are brilliantly designed and well told. Unfortunately the original sold pretty badly, and I was shocked that a sequel was made but happen none the less. If you like hack and slashing with a little jumping here and there, this game is perfect. Oh, and even with the 360 out the game still looks very beautiful.

Bard's Tale: Crafted with the beautiful and addictive Dark Alliance engine, then add Cary Elwes for one of the most funniest video games ever (Maybe even over Conker) this game reeks of awesomeness. Unfortunately the comedy is probably the most enjoyable part, as even the addictive Dark Alliance engine can't save the repetitive and shallow combat. But this is underated just by the fact that Cary Elwes is a comedic genius.

Call of Cthulhu: It's really hard to describe it, kind of like a first person survival horror mixed with puzzle solving. Game has a rather large amount of twists, and wonderfully voice acted. Unfortunately the sequels were all canned as the company go KO'ed. Maybe not extremely underated, but underated none the less. Can also now be found on eBay for cheap.

Dungeons and Dragons Heroes: Diablo style hack and slash. Unfortunately the harder modes offered no extra experience. If this game had a online mode it would still be played to this day.

House of the Dead III: Lightgun made this game. Most people pass on it, but it was a great time waster. Hopefully the competition (Wii) takes off where the XBox forget to capitalize on and I see more lightgun games in the future.

Kingdom Under Fire: RTS/Hack and Slash heaven combo.Think Dynasty Warriors with brains. Really great series and cant' wait to see the pure hack and slash version coming to the 360 :)

Kung Fu Chaos: Just ask around. Most will agree :)

Marvel versus Capcom 2: The most (or second most behind Steel Battalian) expensive game on the XBox. For good reason. This game saw ports from the Dreamcast version, but all in all is a perfect port with no online. One of the best VS games ever to this date, and only lowly rated because of no added features when it was ported (This was due to licensing issues, and is completely understandable on Capcoms part). Saw low production and was clearanced from CC long ago, then sold out everywhere.

Men of Valor: Run of the mill FPS that is actually pretty good. Had solid online back in the day.

Voodoo Vince: Ugh. So many people put this game down, and even less bought it. One of the best platformers for past gen systems, and unfortunately we will never see a sequel thanks to sales. Believe me folks, this is 100x better then B linx.

Can't believe no one has mentioned Beyond Good and Evil yet. One of my top 3 xbox 1 games. I'm still praying it becomes backwards compat

Spartan was great! I just couldn't get past the last area...too many mobs not enough time...This was a great pre-300 movie game too :D

[quote name='DJSteel']Psychonauts...[/QUOTE]

I literally just finished this game, it is amazing (though the Meat Circus is some Submissives wet dream) If you have not had a chance or have been holding out, I say go for it, I played it for the last three days in the evening and I have consistently stayed up past midnight, the game is just that goodm I forget about time (and that I have work in 5 hours)

Breakdown
Psi Ops
Otogi 1 and 2

Those are my top picks for games that got snubbed, especially Breakdown which had one of the best plot twists in years.

The first Buffy the Vampire Slayer was a great game, all characters except Buffy were voiced by their real life counterparts. Never played the sequel although I have heard good things.

Conker Live and Reloaded
Max Payne 1 and 2
Psychonauts
Mercenaries
Second Sight

Special tip o' the hat to Whiplash, Black, and Urban Chaos for being WAY better than I was expecting them to be.

I think overlooked is a better way to categorize these games as most of them (but not all) where reviewed fairly high.

My list:

Psi-Ops - Did a good job of adding your powers one by one so that in the end you could balance them all easily. I also liked the story and characters, they weren't top notch but everything was well done.

Republic Commando - My second favorite Star Wars game on the Xbox. Great inter-squad chatter added character to the otherwise stale Stormtroopers. The game had a ton of action packed moments crammed into the short campaign.

Freedom Fighters - The best part of this game was in the middle sections where you had enough of a squad to get things done but not so many that you got bogged down in ordering people around.

[quote name='SpreadTheWord']I think overlooked is a better way to categorize these games as most of them (but not all) where reviewed fairly high.

My list:

Psi-Ops - Did a good job of adding your powers one by one so that in the end you could balance them all easily. I also liked the story and characters, they weren't top notch but everything was well done.

Republic Commando - My second favorite Star Wars game on the Xbox. Great inter-squad chatter added character to the otherwise stale Stormtroopers. The game had a ton of action packed moments crammed into the short campaign.

Freedom Fighters - The best part of this game was in the middle sections where you had enough of a squad to get things done but not so many that you got bogged down in ordering people around.[/quote]

Republic Commando ahead of one of the KOTORs? Really? I played it and thought it was okay.

[quote name='Porksta']Republic Commando ahead of one of the KOTORs? Really? I played it and thought it was okay.[/quote]

Never played KOTOR 2. If I see it for cheap, I'll pick it up on the PC. I heard there are some great community mods and patched for it aswell.

I'm a big fan of roller coaster FPSs like Half-Life 2 and Call of Duty so Republic Commando was right up my alley.

I second the votes for Star Wars: Republic Commando, Psi-Ops and especially Chronicles of Riddick.

Riddick was an amazing game that got good reviews but not too many people played.

The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay: This game successfully blended elements of fps, stealth, and even role playing into one impressive package. The single player was a bit short, but this game was technically astounding at the time and is still a lot of fun to play.

XIII: This is one game for which I can't really nail down what made me like it so much. The cel shaded style was a welcome change to most of the fps' out there and the deathmatches were very fun.

Amped 2: This is absolutely one of my favorite extreme sports games. The visuals and soundtrack were absolutely great, and the career mode was both challenging and fairly long.

Beyond Good & Evil: Some of the best storytelling I've ever come across in a game. Everything from the gameplay mechanics (feels a bit like the 3d zelda games) and the pacing to the awesome characters and music made this game one to not pass up.

Jet Set Radio Future: This game has more style and charisma than pretty much any other game I've come across. The gameplay is simple enough, yet still challenging, and the soundtrack is nothing short of excellent.

Shenmue 2. My 2nd favorite game ever. If you have not played Shenmue, you should. Gameplay can be a bit slow at times, but the story is epic.

[quote name='DJSteel']Psychonauts...[/quote]

And Stubbs the zombie. Psychonauts was great, But I can't believe i'm the first to mention stubbs. It is great!

bread's done
Back