CPS3 Emulation progress.

PhrostByte

CAG Newbie
Skipping Ahead

Dox decided to hack around a bit with the driver, and found a way to skip some of the tests. As a result JoJo and JoJoba actually now execute some of the game code, rather than just the bios. They both hang after the Japan warning however. The code appears to be stuck in a big loop, dong not much at all.
Doing this properly is something of a pain in the backside due to the way MAME works. The games execute code from FlashROMs, however due to the way FlashROMs are accessed MAME must map them as Read/Write handlers in the driver, not blocks of RAM/ROM. MAME’s CPU cores don’t handle executing code from Read/Write handlers well, nevermind *encrypted* code (with the possibility of *decrypted* data) from such handlers. This is probably going to require some rather ugly hacking around.
Its interesting to note that JoJoba is the NCD set, while JoJobaa appears to be a standard set. They both however still check for the CD, so I’m guessing there must be something else to it too.
It’s also interesting to note that the dates these things are booting up with seem completely wrong. Maybe it’s not running the correct boot code.

http://haze.mameworld.info/2007/06/11/skipping-ahead/#comments

Pretty much anyone who hung around in arcades in the late 90s should know what the CPS3 board is.

And it matters because maybe someday I'll actually get to play Red Earth. Unless Capcom decides to stick it on a compilation but I'm not holding my breath for that.

Isnt the whole CPS3 library basiclly Street Fighter 3, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, and Red Earth. Capcom and everyone else pretty much jumped on NAOMI

I personally want to play 2nd impact....back when Ibuki was good :whistle2:(

[quote name='cyrix`']what?

how many people do you think actually know what a cps3 is and/or care?[/quote]

G... :hot: Well sorry for posting I guess? My post was meant completely for you.. and not any of the other thousands of people on this site. I always wondered why there wasn't a real emulation community on this site. Maybe it's against the rules to talk about emulation? Oh well, all I know is this is a big deal for fighting game fans. I was around when CPS2 was cracked and that was frikkin HUGE. While this task might not mean as much practically, it means a lot from an engineering standpoint.

[quote name='62t']Isnt the whole CPS3 library basiclly Street Fighter 3, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, and Red Earth. Capcom and everyone else pretty much jumped on NAOMI[/quote]
Yeah pretty much... Like I said it's not the biggest of emulation mile stones, but it's pretty cool nonetheless. I personally have always been a huge Capcom fighting game fan (I guess specifically Street Fighter) but I've never had a chance to play Warzard/JoJo's Adventure or any of the older versions of SF3 (I have SF:AC for PS2, which has Third Strike).

[quote name='cyrix`']what?

how many people do you think actually know what a cps3 is and/or care?[/quote]

I bet more care about that than CAGcast.

[quote name='PhrostByte']Yeah pretty much... Like I said it's not the biggest of emulation mile stones, but it's pretty cool nonetheless. I personally have always been a huge Capcom fighting game fan (I guess specifically Street Fighter) but I've never had a chance to play Warzard/JoJo's Adventure or any of the older versions of SF3 (I have SF:AC for PS2, which has Third Strike).[/QUOTE]
well the older version of SFIII are not really worth playing if you have third strike, though it would be nice to play the arcade version of JoJo since the US console version was censor.

[quote name='62t']well the older version of SFIII are not really worth playing if you have third strike, though it would be nice to play the arcade version of JoJo since the US console version was censor.[/quote]

Maybe they're not worth using as a main version but I still want to check them out to see how the game evolved...

I don't know. Second Impact was significantly different from Third Strike. Sean was actually fairly powerful in Second Impact and good enough to be at least a 2nd tier. They weakened him immensely on 3rd strike.

cps3_001.png
cps3_002.png
cps3_003.png

cps3_004.png
cps3_005.png
cps3_006.png

cps3_007.png
cps3_008.png
cps3_009.png

correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't marvel vs capcom 2 on cps3 ?

the only way i've been able to play this on the pc is through chankast (dc emu)

it was a pain in the ass to set up, but i got it running, i'd say it was about 95% console perfect. it had slight sound issues, and looked slighty scrambled at any resolution higher than 640x480. but at that low resolution, it was very pixelated.

[quote name='level1online']correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't marvel vs capcom 2 on cps3 ?[/quote]
MVC2 was on Naomi.

[quote name='level1online']it was a pain in the ass to set up, but i got it running, i'd say it was about 95% console perfect. it had slight sound issues, and looked slighty scrambled at any resolution higher than 640x480. but at that low resolution, it was very pixelated.[/QUOTE]
Uh, 640x480 is the game's native resolution, as in, that's the resolution it plays at on your TV. So, if you go higher than that, then the emulator has to post-scale the image, so, of course it looks wonky.

[quote name='62t']Second Impact also has different backgrounds and music, so it is still worth checking out.[/quote]

You're also forgetting that 2nd Impact also had more detail then 3rd strike. But it's very minor. Wierd how capcom lost detail on 3rd strike though.

These decryption/emulation guys are just too amazing... Check this out.

no. background / sprites will be hard, could take a few months.
Posted by: Haze at June 17, 2007 4:08 pm

http://www.speksnk.org/foro/viewtopic.php?t=66324
ElSemi has some shots of the backgrounds up, I’m still debugging the code a bit in MAME, but the theory is all there. As you can see, ElSemi still has some bugs too.
Posted by: Haze at June 17, 2007 9:10 pm

5 hours, pretty quick huh? :]

More news and shots.

CPS3 Tile / Sprite Data Compression

CPS3 uses compressed data for it’s BG tiles and Sprite Data. The system has a ‘DMA’ list in Video RAM, and when given the command the video hardware will process this list, and copy + decompress graphic data from the FlashROMs into Video RAM for use by the game.
The compression initially looked rather complex, but actually turns out to be much more simple than first thought (although emulation still isn’t perfect)
The basics of it are simple. The first command in the DMA list is a special command, telling the chip to upload a 256 byte table to its internal memory. The Compressed data contains 8 bit values from 00 - FF. Byte with 0×80 set (0×80 - 0xFF) are treated as a lookup into the table it uploaded, replacing one byte, with one word from the table. This allows them to compress the 128 most common words to a single byte instead of a word, thus saving 50%.
After that there is an RLE stage, bytes with 0×40 set are command bytes, telling the chip to repeat the next byte a certain number of tiles. What you’re left with is a series of values between 0×00 and 0×3f, giving 6bpp (64 colour) sprite / bg tiles.
What isn’t quite understood is what happens if there is an RLE command byte followed by an RLE command byte, or if RLE is applied to a 0×80 byte, does it just affect the first value in the table, or do both get repeated etc.
Here are some screenshots, they’re not quite as good as ElSemi’s, probably due to a bug in the code I’m using right now. Also I’ve had to disable the text layer palette for now because MAME can’t handle over 0×10000 colours in a palette without custom drawing functions.

http://haze.mameworld.info/

Aweseome - looks like it's only a matter of time now... and the way they are moving it doesn't look like it will be that long.

[quote name='javeryh']Aweseome - looks like it's only a matter of time now... and the way they are moving it doesn't look like it will be that long.[/quote]

You aint kiddin.

elsemi_sf3.png

Am I right in thinking that they haven't gotten Naomi emulation to this point yet (or anywhere)? I'm really not up on my MAME info.

[quote name='daroga']Am I right in thinking that they haven't gotten Naomi emulation to this point yet (or anywhere)? I'm really not up on my MAME info.[/quote]

Yeah, I think Naomi is still a long uphill struggle :]

yeah, Naomi isn't coming anytime soon... although we were saying that about CPSIII only a few years ago so maybe we will be playing MvC2 one of these days...

[quote name='javeryh']yeah, Naomi isn't coming anytime soon... although we were saying that about CPSIII only a few years ago so maybe we will be playing MvC2 one of these days...[/quote]

MvC2? More like CvS2 mirite? Actually the Naomi sets have only recently been added to MAME... I think a couple months ago.

bread's done
Back