Random DS Announcement #2: Bioware to make Sonic RPG!

botticus

CAGiversary!
Feedback
50 (100%)
SEGA AND BIOWARE COLLABORATE ON NEW SONIC ROLE PLAYING GAME FOR THE NINTENDO DS

LONDON & SAN FRANCISCO (Thurs 21st June 2007) -- SEGA® Europe, Ltd., SEGA® of America, Inc. and Canada-based developer studio BioWare® Corp. today announced a partnership to create a new video game based on the classic SEGA flagship icon, Sonic The Hedgehog. The exact name of the game is undetermined, but this new title developed exclusively for the Nintendo DS will ship in 2008.

“BioWare is one of the hottest names in RPG development in the world,” said Simon Jeffery, President and COO, SEGA of America, Inc. “Everyone at SEGA has huge confidence that Sonic is in the safest of hands, and that BioWare can create the ultimate handheld RPG experience for gamers of all ages.”

BioWare is the award-winning independent developer that has created some of the world's best-selling titles including the Baldur's Gate™ and Neverwinter Nights™ series, the 2003 Game of the Year, Star Wars®: Knights of the Old Republic™ and the 2005 RPG of the Year, Jade Empire.™ BioWare is currently developing one of the most anticipated next-generation titles of 2007, Mass Effect.™

“We’re thrilled to be working with SEGA on Sonic, one of the industry’s most enduring and compelling icons,” said Greg Zeschuk, president of BioWare. “As huge fans of Sonic ourselves, we’re committed to delivering a truly amazing story-driven experience within the Sonic universe, focusing on capturing the character’s broad appeal and placing him in a completely original adventure,” added Ray Muzyka, chief executive officer of BioWare.

The relationship with BioWare reinforces SEGA’s increased emphasis on Western content development for Western audiences. In the past few years SEGA has announced partnerships with developers Bizarre Creations, Gas Powered Games, Monolith Productions, Obsidian Entertainment, Planet Moon Studios, Pseudo Interactive and Silicon Knights. SEGA has also acquired development studios The Creative Assembly, Secret Level and Sports Interactive.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6801177&postcount=109

Link to the official version: http://www.bioware.com/bioware_info/press_releases/2007_06_21_Sonic_DS/

Replace 'Sonic' with the name of any other gaming franchise in the world, and then I'll be interested. Where's my Flicky RPG?

[quote name='pete5883']Replace 'Sonic' with the name of any other gaming franchise in the world, and then I'll be interested. Where's my Flicky RPG?[/quote]Tingle?

I haven't enjoyed a Sonic game since the Sega Genesis. I've never understood why people continue to buy Sonic games when they have been universally panned for years. At least Sega finally did the smart thing and let a talented company work on a Sonic game. Give them credit for that.

dang sweeeeeet. Hopefully its like the Super Mario RPG was to Mario...this game will rock :D. Too bad it's for the DS though...I'd prefer 360/Wii/PS3 =/ I'm not a huge handheld gamer really...

[quote name='dragonreborn23']I haven't enjoyed a Sonic game since the Sega Genesis. I've never understood why people continue to buy Sonic games when they have been universally panned for years. At least Sega finally did the smart thing and let a talented company work on a Sonic game. Give them credit for that.[/QUOTE]

People bought the Sonic games because they like them? Maybe?

[quote name='Spades22']dang sweeeeeet. Hopefully its like the Super Mario RPG was to Mario...this game will rock :D. Too bad it's for the DS though...I'd prefer 360/Wii/PS3 =/ I'm not a huge handheld gamer really...[/quote]
I think you need to look up some Bioware games. They aren't JRPGs.

I might be interested. One issue that definitely comes to my mind first is that unlike the Mario universe, there are a whole lot of Sonic characters that I really don't like, which should in theory make it harder to adapt to an RPG. But I'm still always willing to give a good Sonic game(not that these have been very common lately) or a good RPG a try, so if the game ends up being good I know I'll buy it.

Cut and paste my response from the other thread since it'll get locked:

Well, everyone makes a shitty game once in awhile... I guess Bioware's streak of good games will soon come to an end.

Anything set inside the Sonic universe is an instant fail... I really don't see this being a surprise breakout hit like Mario RPG, simply because, imo, the Sonic universe just isn't... endearing enough, I guess is what I want to say. Other than Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and Robotnik, who the cares about the rest of them? And Sega has proven time and time again they really suck at making new additions to the Sonic World - Rouge, Big, that stupid robot, lame. Hell, even Shadow is just a "darker" Sonic, but it's not pulled off with the same greatness Mario ---> Wario was. Maybe Bioware will have free reign but I'm sure Sega will tell them what they can and cannot do and who to specfically add into the game.

I'm sure Bioware can make it an awesome RPG but I got a feeling Sega will have them dumb it down and the plot will be some ridiculous garbage like the Sonic Adventure games.

Me and Pygmy share the same ideas on the Sonic "universe"... while 99% of people in the Mario universe are great, and the new characters added into that universe through the RPG's are generally decent, I think anyone added into the Sonic universe will just be more pointless stupid characters that really serve no purpose other than to be there.

Kind of disappointed because I feel Bioware should take their superior talents and focus on their own IP's, or at least an IP that isn't garbage and has a horrible stigma surrounding it - Sonic is a joke these days.

Wow, horrible news. I knew Bioware was working on a DS project, and I was really excited...but Sonic?!

I think people are definitely underrating this.

Other than Sonic, Tails, Robotnik, and maybe Knuckles, I'm personally expecting a whole new cast for this game.

[quote name='Zen Davis']I think people are definitely underrating this.

Other than Sonic, Tails, Robotnik, and maybe Knuckles, I'm personally expecting a whole new cast for this game.[/QUOTE]

The cast will be good if Sega basacially gives the license to Bioware and says "Here you go, do what you want, make a good RPG".

The cast will be shit if Sega goes "Hey, can you make us an RPG, but use all these characters we designed?"

Sega has made so many shitty characters for the Sonic universe game after game after game that I have 0 faith in them to ever make a character who is more than a one dimensional stereotype with a stupid story tacked on. I don't want to play any of Sega's horrible creations in a 15 - 20 hour long RPG (I don't expect this to be 40 +, no way).

So we'll see. Bioware having free reign would be great, but somehow, I doubt it will happen. Sega makes a new cast it seems for every game and that cast is usually stupid as hell and looks like it took all of 5 minutes to think up.

imo, Sega is desperately trying to make a cohesive "universe", similar to how Mario isn't just Mario anymore, but a whole plethora of characters compromising a world, which also provides it a lot of spinoff's and leeway with what Nintendo can do with it's characters. It looks like Sega is just trying to copy this idea years too late. A Sonic RPG would have been cool around the time we saw Mario RPG, or even Paper Mario, but now, blah. I'll keep an eye out just because it's Bioware, but I even doubt Bioware has their top people working on this anyways.

I'm intrigued. Hopefully it'll be that super bad ass mid-90s Sonic cartoon world where it's a dystopia future with Robotnik being an evil emperor type rather any of the other crap that Sonic has had done with it recently.

I hope this means he's not in Smash Bros then.

Selfish blue motherfucker.

You have ENOUGH rings goddamit. Learn to hold onto 'em.

can't be worst then whatever characters they made for Knuckles' Chaotix. I still think Bioware is better then 90% of the developer Sega could turn to. My only concern is that Bioware hasnt made a E rated game.

[quote name='Strell']I hope this means he's not in Smash Bros then.

Selfish blue motherfucker.[/QUOTE]
Oh, he'd BETTER be in Smash Bros. Otherwise, I'm not buying it.

Well...I probably will buy it. I'll just do it angrily and make a scene about it at the fine retail establishment I buy it from.

[quote name='whoknows']
Well...I probably will buy it. I'll just do it angrily and make a scene about it at the fine retail establishment I buy it from.[/QUOTE]

You'll get it, and when we play online, I'll keep putting myself on the blue team and mercilessly reminding you he's not in the game with great passion and glee.

[quote name='Strell']You'll get it, and when we play online, I'll keep putting myself on the blue team and mercilessly reminding you he's not in the game with great passion and glee.[/quote]

I want him in the game....
waaah!

Nintendo systems have been home to the best of the Sonic games as of late, especially the handhelds. The Sonic Advance games were decent, not great, but alright. Sonic Rush was fantastic--the closest we've gotten to a "real" Sonic games since S&K. Sonic & the Secret Rings for the Wii was pretty solid too.

So, Roufuss, while I understand where you're coming from, the Sonic = Fail idea only works if you only focus of the Adventures / Heroes / Riders / Rivals / 360&PS3 games (sorry whoknows ;) ). Sonic's had decent games lately, just not always the most high-profile ones. I'm inclined to say that Sonic + Nintendo Handheld = Win, actually.

However, this whole project confuses the heck out of me. It could either be really good or really, really wretched.

[quote name='Foolman']I think you need to look up some Bioware games. They aren't JRPGs.[/quote]

Don't know what you mean by this...I never said or cared that they were JRPGs :O. Basically what I meant by that post was that I hope its a game similar in greatness as Mario RPG was to the mario characters...

[quote name='daroga']Nintendo systems have been home to the best of the Sonic games as of late, especially the handhelds. The Sonic Advance games were decent, not great, but alright. Sonic Rush was fantastic--the closest we've gotten to a "real" Sonic games since S&K. Sonic & the Secret Rings for the Wii was pretty solid too.

So, Roufuss, while I understand where you're coming from, the Sonic = Fail idea only works if you only focus of the Adventures / Heroes / Riders / Rivals / 360&PS3 games (sorry whoknows ;) ). Sonic's had decent games lately, just not always the most high-profile ones. I'm inclined to say that Sonic + Nintendo Handheld = Win, actually.

However, this whole project confuses the heck out of me. It could either be really good or really, really wretched.[/QUOTE]

Sonic = Fail for one reason and one reason only - Sonic's universe is devoid of interesting and entertaining characters. They are mostly one dimensional characters (Shadow is an evil Sonic...ooo...spooky... and he uses guns!!) with the bare minimum in personality - doesn't Shadow have some backstory about a little girl or something? Who cares, anyways, it was so poorly told it doesn't matter.

In an RPG, it's all about the party and the other characters, and sorry, the thought of being trapped in a group with the yammering of other stupid Sega creations like Rouge, Big the Cat, Blaze, Generic Speed Character #13191, Sonic Look-a-like #18, or whatever else Sega comes up with and forces Bioware to use makes me never excited to play this game.

I'm excited if Bioware gets to do whatever they want in terms of everything, and doesn't use 99% of the Sonic cast. Even Tails has turned into a whiny bitch lately.

The point of an RPG is to have a good plot and characters - no Sonic game has either.

It really depends on how close a leash Sega has Bioware on. And like I said earlier, this probably won't be Bioware's best, it's more or less the B team working on it since the A team wants to finish Mass Effect.

But in general, the Sonic universe is so bland the thought of an RPG set inside of it doesn't make me excited, because I doubt anyone can pull off what Nintendo did with Mario, which is taking a core group of characters and, over the years, expanding the universe to include many interesting characters. Sonic's universe seems to have a new character every game with no personality. The different paths two competing mascot's took is an amazing thing to look at, and is really a testament to Nintendo products. I don't think there is any other mascot who still makes quality games like Nintendo does with Mario.

Crash? Nope. Spyro? Nope. Sonic? Hell no.

[quote name='62t']I wonder what the Bioware plot twist will be[/QUOTE]
Shadow turns Sally into a man and gives Sonic a vagina in his butthole.

Anyways, uh, yeah, do not want. I'm getting a "horrible" vibe already. Bioware is great and all, but quite frankly, the story, plot, characters, universe, and the stylings in general of the Sonic series these days is, to put it frankly, completely fucking retarded. The cut-scenes in most recent Sonic games are horrible enough, but having to trudge through an entire story-heavy Sonic RPG? Hell, no. I'll pass.

And I 100% agree with everything in Roufuss' post. Good show, sir. My one point of contention being that Tails has been a whiny bitch from the first second he was able to talk, so, I wouldn't call it "lately." ;)

[quote name='Roufuss']Sonic = Fail for one reason and one reason only - Sonic's universe is devoid of interesting and entertaining characters. They are mostly one dimensional characters (Shadow is an evil Sonic...ooo...spooky... and he uses guns!!) with the bare minimum in personality - doesn't Shadow have some backstory about a little girl or something? Who cares, anyways, it was so poorly told it doesn't matter.

In an RPG, it's all about the party and the other characters, and sorry, the thought of being trapped in a group with the yammering of other stupid Sega creations like Rouge, Big the Cat, Blaze, Generic Speed Character #13191, Sonic Look-a-like #18, or whatever else Sega comes up with and forces Bioware to use makes me never excited to play this game.

I'm excited if Bioware gets to do whatever they want in terms of everything, and doesn't use 99% of the Sonic cast. Even Tails has turned into a whiny bitch lately.

The point of an RPG is to have a good plot and characters - no Sonic game has either.

It really depends on how close a leash Sega has Bioware on. And like I said earlier, this probably won't be Bioware's best, it's more or less the B team working on it since the A team wants to finish Mass Effect.

But in general, the Sonic universe is so bland the thought of an RPG set inside of it doesn't make me excited, because I doubt anyone can pull off what Nintendo did with Mario, which is taking a core group of characters and, over the years, expanding the universe to include many interesting characters. Sonic's universe seems to have a new character every game with no personality. The different paths two competing mascot's took is an amazing thing to look at, and is really a testament to Nintendo products. I don't think there is any other mascot who still makes quality games like Nintendo does with Mario.

Crash? Nope. Spyro? Nope. Sonic? Hell no.[/quote]
I can agree with most of what you said, lately the "sonic-verse" has become very boring lately.We see new sonic games almost every year, that practically suck.I can vouch the last good sonic game was Adventure, and from what other people say,sonic rush (and the advance ones, which were decent)

If it comes out bad, at least its a much better idea than "sonic riders, rivals or that never ending loading screen of that sonic game for the 360 and PS3."

Well it may not be on the calibur of Paper mario...
But,Its not bad to hope is it?

I'm not gonna lie, I think Sonic games are fun (Sonic Rush is getting closer to the awesomeness of the Genesis games), but I don't like any of the characters. Tails is alright. As long as they drop the dumb Xtreme Sonic with the skateboarder 'tude then it might be passable. I'm still reeling in shock.

[quote name='whoknows']Oh, he'd BETTER be in Smash Bros. Otherwise, I'm not buying it.

Well...I probably will buy it. I'll just do it angrily and make a scene about it at the fine retail establishment I buy it from.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='RyanTheGNR']I want him in the game....
waaah![/QUOTE]

Kind of off-topic, but why do people want to play another fighter with Sonic in it? Seriously, did Sonic the Fighters/Sonic Championship not teach us anything? The only reason I'd want to see him in Brawl would be to kick his ass for laughs. Perhaps some sort of "bash the dead, out-of-touch, played-out mascot" mini-game.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Kind of off-topic, but why do people want to play another fighter with Sonic in it? Seriously, did Sonic the Fighters/Sonic Championship not teach us anything? The only reason I'd want to see him in Brawl would be to kick his ass for laughs. Perhaps some sort of "bash the dead, out-of-touch, played-out mascot" mini-game.[/QUOTE]

Yea, because SSB and Sonic Fighters use the same fighting engine... Good thing Capcom didn't mind putting Ryu and Sagat in SFII after the disaster of SF1. I don't see anything wrong with wanting one of Mario's biggest and oldest rival in SSB.

I never played KOTOR, but did they take liberties with the Star Wars mythos? Hopefully(though doubtful), Sega gives Bioware some leeway in making, perhaps even redoing, the entire Sonic story. Didn't Sega change the story around, or did stuff that happened in 2 and 3 occur actually stayed with the story?

I guess it'll be passable as long as they don't try nihilist or Ayn Rand bullshit or whatever college-pseudo-intellectual shit goes down for "awesome plots" these days.

Yeah, that's right. I went there. They'd do that in a Sonic game, that's what I implied!

Seriously though, the only way this will be at all good is if they base it off the Sonic SatAM cartoon. (Dystopia, Robotnik emperor, Princess Sally, Bunny Rabbot, and chili dogs.)

[quote name='whoknows']Oh, he'd BETTER be in Smash Bros. Otherwise, I'm not buying it.

Glitter?

Anyway, I'm semi-interested and will be curious to see how this turns out. I'm not a huge Sonic fan myself, but having Bioware behind it means it at least deserves attention on my radar.

Hopefully now that Bioware is developing for the DS we can expect more games from them, preferably with their own IP.

Dear Bioware,

We enjoyed your april fools joke quite a lot, however, in the future, we recommend a more timely method than sending it via elderly in hoveround. Thank you.

Sincerely,
DS Owners

[quote name='Teeheehee']Yea, because SSB and Sonic Fighters use the same fighting engine... Good thing Capcom didn't mind putting Ryu and Sagat in SFII after the disaster of SF1. I don't see anything wrong with wanting one of Mario's biggest and oldest rival in SSB.[/quote]
My objection is that, more than any character in Smash Bros so far, Sonic punching and kicking would just look completely stupid, what with those wirey-ass arms and legs of his.

[quote name='Teeheehee']I never played KOTOR, but did they take liberties with the Star Wars mythos? Hopefully(though doubtful), Sega gives Bioware some leeway in making, perhaps even redoing, the entire Sonic story. Didn't Sega change the story around, or did stuff that happened in 2 and 3 occur actually stayed with the story?[/QUOTE]
I don't think Sonic has a cohesive enough plot for them to have something to follow. To note, though, Sega did "reboot" the story of the franchise with the shitty 360/PS3 game last year. They're replacing nonsense with the exact same nonsense, but appearantly it's enough to classify as them "starting over."

[quote name='Foolman']I think you need to look up some Bioware games. They aren't JRPGs.[/QUOTE]

Thank god they're not JRPGs. I'm happy that Bioware is working on this and am interested to see what they will pull off on the DS.

[quote name='jer7583']Dear Bioware,

We enjoyed your april fools joke quite a lot, however, in the future, we recommend a more timely method than sending it via elderly in hoveround. Thank you.

Sincerely,
DS Owners[/quote]

Yeah, this really DOES seem more like a joke than something that could ever actually ever happen.

P.S.

GET BACK TO WORKING ON MASS EFFECT NOW

P.P.S.

We love you. Thanks for KOTOR.

I'm not sure how to feel about this. On one hand I don't really like Sonic and I wouldn't care if Sega never released another one.
On the other hand Bioware has been my favorite game developer since I played Baldur's Gate 1.
I get the feeling that I'll be picking this up on day one, but it's too bad we couldn't have gotten a more traditional setting, perhaps a supplement to Dragon Age.

Wouldn't it be wild, though, if Bioware single-handedly made the Sonic story line interesting?

There was actually the rumblings of a pretty decent plot with the early games. The first Genesis games had a real "protect your home" / anti-government motif going on. The jump of Sonic to our earth in the Adventure games was pretty horrid. The plot worked much better when it was Robotnik (please, Bioware, call him Robotnik, not "Eggman") who was out of place, not Sonic. No one ever cared that a 6 foot tall blue, talking hedgehog was roaming their cities.

The game set in Mobius, with Robotnik attempting to take over the world / harvest its resources by destroying all the creatures on the planet. Sonic as the one character people are depending on, Tails as the seemingly useless helper who saves the day at least once or twice, and Knuckles as the tricked, or maybe even legitmately power-hungry and greedy counterpoint could make for an interesting plot. Cliche and not exactly original, but when was the last time an RPG had a legitmately original plot? It's still infinitely better than hot Hedgehog / Human makeout action. *shudder*

bread's done
Back