would pay $500 USD for a PS3?

Needs at least one great exclusive. Aaaand I need an HDTV. But damn, it's still pretty tempting. If only it had launched at this price...

Nope, I'll wait for the price to hit the current PS2 price before biting on Sony's newest 'wondermachine', since it has so much shit I won't use on it.

I'll wait till Warhawk comes out and buy one. I played the beta at a friends house and fucken love it. I was so close in getting one a month ago, but the stupid seller didn't show up.

Maybe, but only because my PS2 is about to die and there are still PS2 games I want to play. Which is a terrible reason to buy one, yet here we are.

No, because I dont have enough time for games this next year anyway:

GTA IV
Halo 3
Unreal 3
SSBB

Thats gonna take me a while, since im sure there will be a ton of out-of-the-blue good games.

I chose "other" - I'd pay $500 for one if there were some AAA exclusive games to play... so until that time I'm a "no"

Hmm..

$500 for a PS3 and a blu ray player all in one.. I could catch up on all the PS2 titles I missed (didn't own a PS2 past 2003.. did play GOW and GOW2, but missed out on Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, the Final Fantasy games, the Kingdom Hearts series, etc).. could play my PS One games again.. and be able to play Lair, Heavy Rain, Heavenly Sword, Resistance, Motorstorm, LittleBig World, Eight Days, and the system selling Afrika..

..eh, I dunno. I probably would.

The PS3 library is lacking, but I'd buy one once there are some games worth playing (that aren't multi-platform).

$500 is a good deal for a Blu-Ray player / video game console.

No. Would at least have to be the same price as the 360, but even then I couldn't justify it as the 360 has so many more games to play.

All the "extras" the PS3 has I really could care less about.

[quote name='Surferflames']If I had an HDTV I would, but until I can afford both it aint happening.[/QUOTE]

I had this same thought until I was able to find a decent 19" LCD HDTV for about $230 after tax with Composite, HDMI, and VGA ports. But I'm sticking to my rule that I won't spend more than 300 bucks on a console. I own a 360 but through trade-in deals it only costs me about 250 bucks cash to get it.

$500 for a PS3, plus the Blu Rays, and maybe an extra controller (+ tax). I just wish I could buy it from Ron Popeil at that price. I'll have one by September.

I was unwilling to pay $500 when it launched, and with the library it built up of 0 interesting games, I remain unwilling.

Would I pay $500 for it? No. Would I buy it when it's $500 if I can find a good coupon, get free Blu-Rays, some other sort of promo, and can still get ~$100 for my almost-new PS2? Tempting.

So really, my answer is a combination of all the poll options. Retail price is a bit much as yet, especially when it would be used more for PS2 games that will take me a long time to get through than for PS3 games over the next 6 months, at the least.

If there was any game on the system or in the forseeable future that interested be beyond a remake of a last gen game then I mighr consider it. As of now, for the next year unless something megaton and exclusive for the PS3 gets announced, there's no reason for me to own one--despite my delusional ramblings about buying one last week. ;)

I bit at launch and haven't regretted it. Now, $500 for the 60gb system + 5 blu-ray movies + a free controller, and seeing the long list of amazing exclusives set to hit this Fall? It's a steal imo.

No, until a few really good games hit it's still going to be an expensive paperweight. However at $500 I might consider buying one early next year.

I'm still not convinced... while the price is better, the games aren't there yet. Sure it'll get better within the next year or so but until then I'm going to hold out.

I'm tempted to, but I'm not sure why. I looked at the list of games available and saw 1, maybe 2 games that I'd be interested in. I do believe there will be a lot of good games down the line, but logically the price would only go down further as time progresses.

I think part of me just sees a price drop and wants to bite - I'm weird like that. That, and I haven't bought an expensive toy lately. :)

[quote name='rendil']
I think part of me just sees a price drop and wants to bite - I'm weird like that. That, and I haven't bought an expensive toy lately. :)[/QUOTE]

I am the same way in this case.. I really didn't want one @ 600, but that magical 500 is actually looking pretty tempting. Really want something that will do 1080p to really break in my monitor (go wii running @ 480p)

Target $500 -10% for signing up for the their card and then 5 Bluray movies for free?

500 -10% = 450
$15-20 for movies on ebay = $75-100

End price, 350-400 depending on ending price, taxes and fees.

Sold.

No, I'm waiting for more games, Specfically Wipeout and Killzone.
Hopefully they dont come out until it has another price drop since I can't justify paying so much for a console to play only 2 games on.

[quote name='Kayden']Target $500 -10% for signing up for the their card and then 5 Bluray movies for free?

500 -10% = 450
$15-20 for movies on ebay = $75-100

End price, 350-400 depending on ending price, taxes and fees.

Sold.[/quote]

That makes it pretty tempting... but those movies are shit so I'd be shocked if you could get $15 shipped for one of them. Still, getting $50 off and then another $50 for the movies would make it $400 plus tax - not too bad. Unfortunately, there's nothing I want to play on the PS3 right now or the foreseeable future (plus, I've got a huge backlog).

But the PS3 would upconvert your backlog.

[quote name='javeryh']That makes it pretty tempting... but those movies are shit so I'd be shocked if you could get $15 shipped for one of them. Still, getting $50 off and then another $50 for the movies would make it $400 plus tax - not too bad. Unfortunately, there's nothing I want to play on the PS3 right now or the foreseeable future (plus, I've got a huge backlog).[/quote]

[quote name='Kayden']But the PS3 would upconvert your backlog.[/quote]

Dammit. I hate logic... and how did you knw that 80% of my backlog are PS2 games?

[quote name='TimPV3']If anybody is considering voting for anything other than YES, remember Warhawk is coming out August 28th.[/quote]

:roll:

Because 80% of the good games came out on the PS2. :lol:

[quote name='javeryh']Dammit. I hate logic... and how did you knw that 80% of my backlog are PS2 games?[/quote]

No, bought one for $380.

The only reason I would turn it on is to fold@Home.

The library is severely lacking at the moment and there is only a handful of titles announced that I am actually interested in.

I'm thinking 2009 will be the year to own a PS3.

By then MGS4,FFXIII, LBP, and hopefully Team ICO's new games will be released in 2009.

Not at this point, no. If it had a decent library of games, I'd easily pay $500, or even the original $600 for it. If it had $600 worth of good games, it wouldn't be a rip off.

That's also why I'm not really pissed that I don't play my Wii that often - I buy a game for it every 4 or 5 months, play the hell out of it, then beat it. Sure the library isn't great (still better than PS3 at this point), but I only paid $250 for it, and I can easily see myself getting $250 worth of entertainment value out of it.

At this point, I can't say that for PS3. I'm not into RPG's at all (FFXIII), I'm not a MGS fan, I'm not interested in an overworld (Home, though it is pretty sweet - just not my thing) and Virtua Fighter, Devil May Cry, GTAIV, and many others have gone Multi-Platform. I just see no reason to get a PS3, save maybe a slight interest in Motorstorm and Little Big Planet.

As of now, I'd buy a PS3 for ~$200-$250, because I think that's how much entertainment value I can squeeze out of it in the long run. Who knows, maybe Sony will announce tons of games I have to have at E3...?

bread's done
Back