CAG Foreplay Podcast #9: New Releases (7/24/07) Get In Your Hole Edition

shipwreck

Staff member
Feedback
91 (100%)
CAG's shipwreck & mrs. shipwreck preview the new releases for the week of July 24th, 2007. This week we take a look at a bunch of games that look strangely familiar. Everything old is new again... or at least it's priced that way.

You can now subscribe to Foreplay on iTunes by clicking this link: CAG Foreplay on iTunes

You can now also contact us with any questions or comments at [email protected] or [email protected].

CAG Foreplay Podcast show notes will be up later today.

[media]http://media.libsyn.com/media/foreplay/cagforeplay9.mp3[/media]

Alien Syndrome Dev. Totally Games Pub. Sega Systems: PSP, Wii MSRP: $39.99, $49.99
This classic Sega game is a top-down 3D shooter with action RPG-elements in which you play as the alien-slaying hero. Specialize your character with new skills as you save innocent people. With weapons upgrades, a third dimension, and updated graphics, this isn't quite the Alien Syndrome of your past. This game looks decent at first glance and has lots of cool RPG improvements, but get ready for your arm to fall off while pointing the wii-mote at the screen for hours on end. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
Deep Discount is offering the Wii version of Alien Syndrome for $44 shipped.

:psp: Purchase At Amazon $37.99 (Free shipping)
:wii: Purchase At Amazon $49.99 (Free shipping)
:wii: Purchase At Family Video $48.01 (99 cent shipping)
:wii: Purchase At Deep Discount $43.99 (Free shipping)

Dynasty Warriors DS: Fighter's Battle Dev. Koei Pub. Koei Systems: DS MSRP: $29.99
For better or for worse, this game actually deviates slightly from standard Dynasty Warriors fare. Instead of choosing from a large selection of historical feudal Chinese generals, players must now choose from one of three new fictional characters. You can choose slow-strong guy, fast-weak guy, or middle-of-the-road guy as you set off to kill millions upon millions of soldiers with your button mashing skills. This time around, however, there are merely a handful of enemies on the screen at a time and anime style graphics have been introduced. The generals that fans are familiar with are still in the game, but are in trading card form as you can strategically place these cards prior to battle. Even if it doesn't turn out fantastic, I at least applaud Koei for attempting to mix up a series that has become extremely stale to me. - ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Dynasty Warriors DS.

:ds: Purchase At Amazon $29.99 (Free shipping)
:ds: Purchase At Family Video $27.64 (99 cent shipping)

Final Fantasy II Dev. Square Enix Pub. Square Enix Systems: PSP MSRP: $29.99
For those of you who need a refresher course of FFII, let me start by reminding you that it wasn't remotely similar to the original FF. The plot revolves around Firion, Leon, Maria, and some dreadnoughts. The coolest part of the original FFII, in my opinion, is that the gamer isn't forced into choosing a character type. Instead, your character improvements are based on your own gameplay. True CAGs will be wondering how the PSP version compares to the version released on the GBA. The answer? Updated graphics (with new CGI cut-scenes) and audio, minus FFI of course. If you own a PSP and haven't played this title, $30 is a great deal. If you have a Nintendo handheld and already played the GBA version, I wouldn't be rushing out to purchase your PSP for this title alone. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Final Fantasy II.

:psp: Purchase At Amazon $29.99 (Free shipping)
:psp: Purchase At Family Video $28.84 (99 cent shipping)
:psp: Purchase At Deep Discount $28.99 (Free shipping)

Guitar Hero Encore: Rocks the 80s Dev. Harmonix Pub. Activision Systems: PS2 MSRP: $49.99
What do you get when you strip away characters, remove most unlockables, re-use venues, put together a lackluster soundtrack, and charge full price? Well, if you're Activision, you get rich. Sure, I'm still frustrated that this is only currently coming out for the PS2 and not accessible to the huge fan base Guitar Hero just built on the Xbox 360, but this game really reeks of a quick cash in. There are a handful of worthy songs sprinkled into this playlist, but with a whole decade of music to choose from, they really could have made this a bitchin' expansion. - ship

Best Deal:
Best Buy is the clear cut winner here offering Guitar Hero Encore for $40 with a free $15 gift card and a free wristband.

:ps2: Purchase At Amazon $49.99 (Free shipping)
:ps2: Purchase At Family Video $43.99 (99 cent shipping)
:ps2: Purchase At Deep Discount $43.99 (Free shipping)
:ps2: Purchase At Best Buy $39.99 (Free $15 gift card & free wristband)
:ps2: See fidodido's Fry's ad $39.99

NASCAR 08 Dev. EA Tiburon Pub. Electronic Arts Systems: PS2, PS3, 360 MSRP: $39.99, $59.99
The one good thing about EA holding exclusive rights to NASCAR: I only have to write one NASCAR preview each year. The PS2 version has the Whelen Modified Series that isn't included in the next gen versions if that makes a difference to you. Don't worry, you can listen to Brooks & Dunn in all three versions. - ship

Best Deal:
Family Video will save you a few dollars on each version of NASCAR 08. If Circuit City doesn't have the game in stock by 2PM on 7/24, the $20 free gift card policy is in effect.

:360: Purchase At Amazon $57.99 (Free shipping)
:360: Purchase At Family Video $54.99 (99 cent shipping)
:360: Purchase At Circuit City $59.99 (Free $20 gift card if not in stock by 2PM Tuesday)
:ps2: Purchase At Amazon $37.99 (Free shipping)
:ps2: Purchase At Family Video $35.99 (99 cent shipping)
:ps2: Purchase At Circuit City $39.99 (Free $20 gift card if not in stock by 2PM Tuesday)
:ps3: Purchase At Amazon $57.99 (Free shipping)
:ps3: Purchase At Family Video $54.99 (99 cent shipping)
:ps3: Purchase At Circuit City $59.99 (Free $20 gift card if not in stock by 2PM Tuesday)

NHRA Drag Racing: Countdown to the Championship Dev. Valuesoft Pub. THQ Systems: PS2, PSP MSRP: $14.99, $19.99
3...2...1...No! In case, turning left is little too complicated... or good games aren't your thing, we are treated to another budget entry into the NHRA franchise. - ship

Best Deal:
Deep Discount will save you a buck on each version of NHRA Drag Racing.

:ps2: Purchase At Amazon $14.99 (Free shipping on orders over $25)
:ps2: Purchase At Deep Discount $13.99 (Free shipping)
:psp: Purchase At Amazon $19.99 (Free shipping on orders over $25)
:psp: Purchase At Deep Discount $18.99 (Free shipping)

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 Dev. Atlus Pub. Atlus Systems: PS2 MSRP: $49.99
Try saying that title three times fast. Set in a Japanese high school, this PS2 RPG title has a very anime feel to it. Your character fights demons at night but attend school during the day. And if that isn't bizarre enough, your character also has to shoot himself in the head on a regular basis. Warning: the first hour of gameplay is pretty passive, with loads of watching cut-scenes and reading dialogue. Once you get through that, I think you'll find this game well worth the $50 and the disappointment of playing it on a last-gen system. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
Amazon is offering Persona 3 for $47 shipped. While EB Games is advertising a "Special Edition" with an art book and soundtrack, I believe that is included with all of the first printings of this game.

:ps2: Purchase At Amazon $46.99 (Free shipping)

Ultimate Puzzle Games: Sudoku Edition Dev. Telegames Pub. Telegames Systems: DS MSRP: $19.99
For those of you thinking that you've had your fill of Sudoku games, you might want to read on. If you're a Sudoku player, there are two reasons to buy this game:
1. You can manually input any Sudoku puzzle and solve it using your DS
2. You can wirelessly download the entire game to another DS and let a friend play (single player OR multiplayer) without actually owning the game
If you're not a Sudoku player, why are you still reading this preview? - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Ultimate Puzzle Games: Sudoku Edition.

:ds: Purchase At EB Games $19.99

On The DL with the Shipwrecks

Devil's Crush Systems: Wii MSRP: $6
This pinball table needs an exorcism! Take down demons, skeletons, cult worshipers, and that really freaky face in the middle of the table by repeatedly hitting them with a large ball bearing. Add in a blistering metal guitar soundtrack and you've got a game that not only is nostalgic, but is actually still fun to play. - ship

Kirby's Dream Course Systems: Wii MSRP: $8
I'm beginning to see a pattern here. There are two courses of action for rehashing a game that did well (or not so well) in the past. The first is to update the graphics and audio, call it an anniversary edition, and re-release it for a next-gen system at a slightly cheaper price than other new games. The second is to leave the game alone and release it for $5-$10 as a downloadable on a next-gen console. Kirby's Dream Course is an SNES golf game that has gotten the latter treatment. In this game, Kirby himself is the ball, and you lose health points as Kirby gets hit. But, strike and enemy or make a putt, and you gain health back. The controls are dated and frustrating, and the "golf" is more like putt-putt. Ship and I died a lot at first, but it's a fun, nostalgic game with a twist that might be worth your $8.

Shining Force Systems: Wii MSRP: $8
This title is a turn-based RPG originally for the Sega Genesis. It, according to Wikipedia, contains some steampunk elements, which is my new word for the day. If I ever in my lifetime have an occasion to use the word steampunk again, I'll let you know. This title is fairly well-known, and pretty simple as far as RPG gameplay goes. If you're a fan of this franchise, you might be in the mood for some nostalgic gameplay for $8. Or you might be in the mood to save your $8 for the next Shining Force game that comes out. - mrs. ship

Super Contra Systems: 360 MSRP: $5
Just like the last time around, shoot all the aliens with updated graphics and online co-op. - ship

Wing Commander Arena Systems: 360 MSRP: $10
This completely new game ditches the old successful Wing Commander space-sim formula and goes for more arcade-style 16-player multiplayer. With third-person views and no movement in the vertical plane, we'll see how this one turns out on Wednesday. - ship

Did we miss a good sale on a game? Did we miss previewing a game completely? Well, the only way that everyone can know a better deal is out there is to let us know about it. Post deals you've found or games that we missed in the thread so that CAGs can make sure they are getting the absolute best prices on new releases.

[quote name='shipwreck']...not accessible to the huge fan base Guitar Hero just built on the Xbox 360, but this game really wreaks of a quick cash in.[/quote]

Grammar police! I think you meant to say "reeks" and not "wrecks".

Oh wait, maybe that does fit? Uh, nicely put, ship!

Did your relatives go on their vacation and buy you those import games? What games did you list for them to attempt to purchase?

[quote name='gunm']Grammar police! I think you meant to say "reeks" and not "wrecks".

Oh wait, maybe that does fit? Uh, nicely put, ship![/QUOTE]
Even if it did fit, the "a" between the "e" and "c" doesn't.

[quote name='masked lemon']When are you two going to do a video podcast?[/QUOTE]
Translation: "I want to get off to Mrs. Shipwreck" ;)

edit:

lol, I just heard you respond to my post about last week's podcast (the thing about doing show notes listing every game you mention during the show)

Mrs. Shipwreck: "that sounds like... fun.... for you."
Shipwreck: "Yes, I definitely need to spend another couple hours on this"

:lol: Yeah, if it's too much work, I totally understand :D

lol, I just heard you respond to my post about last week's podcast (the thing about doing show notes listing every game you mention during the show)

:lol: Yeah, if it's too much work, I totally understand :D

[quote name='gunm']Grammar police! I think you meant to say "reeks" and not "wrecks".

Oh wait, maybe that does fit? Uh, nicely put, ship![/QUOTE]

Ha, you got me. I always get my "wreaks" turned around.

[quote name='Jackal888']Did your relatives go on their vacation and buy you those import games? What games did you list for them to attempt to purchase?[/QUOTE]

Yes, my parents are still on vacation and I know they stopped in a Game store in Paris, but were unable to find anything from the list I gave them. I haven't spoken with them in a couple of days so I don't know if they'll end up finding anything this time around or not.

I know some of the games on the list were B-Boy for the PSP, Jumanji for the PS2, and Gottlieb Pinball for the Wii.

Shipwreck, don't scoff at Mrs. Shipwreck asking about ninjas in Dynasty Warriors. They make as much as sense as samurai in medieval China considering samurai are Japanese. I guess fighting with samurai is more fun than fighting with daoists or confuscians.

Also, the NASCAR "car of tomorrow" is the new stock car the league introduced this year to further standardize the cars to one model. They are being used in a limited number of races this year, and their use will expand next year. I am no NASCAR fan, but I live in the South and learn this stuff through osmosis.

The podcast was good this week despite the lack of compelling game releases. You kids make me laugh a lot.

[quote name='PyroGamer'] lol, I just heard you respond to my post about last week's podcast (the thing about doing show notes listing every game you mention during the show)

:lol: Yeah, if it's too much work, I totally understand :D[/quote]

Nope, not too much work at all, and a good idea. Ship listens to the show at work every Tuesday, so he can actually look like he's working while fullfilling this request.

Hot Shots Tennis is a goodgame. Mrs Ship just did not use the controls. I played the demo and I had no problems. I found it fun and accessible.

Hey Ship,

keep in mind that PSN's version of Castlevania SOTN has the original cutscenes while the XBLA version does not. Another selling point.

[quote name='ZForce915']Another fine podcast shipwrecks! This has quickly become a must listen, right behind the real CAGcast, of course.[/quote]
I couldn't agree more!

[quote name='shipwreck']Guitar Hero Encore: Rocks the 80s Dev. Harmonix Pub. Activision Systems: PS2 MSRP: $49.99
What do you get when you strip away characters, remove most unlockables, re-use venues, put together a lackluster soundtrack, and charge full price? Well, if you're Activision, you get rich. Sure, I'm still frustrated that this is only currently coming out for the PS2 and not accessible to the huge fan base Guitar Hero just built on the Xbox 360, but this game really reeks of a quick cash in. There are a handful of worthy songs sprinkled into this playlist, but with a whole decade of music to choose from, they really could have made this a bitchin' expansion. - ship[/quote]
And the PS2 fanbase is just tiny by comparison, right? ;) Supposedly, Rock the 80s is an exclusive that Sony locked up, according to 1up Yours.

By "saving your $8 for the next Shining Force game that comes along", I hope you aren't, because for all intents and purposes, the Shining Force franchise is dead. The original developers have moved on and it seems Sega intends on running the Shining name through the mud to China and back. If you mean Shining Force II, then I agree it is the better game, but the first game shouldn't be missed either.

Nice show guys. I like the "blast from the past" DS games you guys are working through now :mrgreen:. I played Contact, Magical Starsign, and Rocket Slime all what now seems like ages ago!

Of course, I'm not one to talk, as I have the following DS RPG's and RPG-like games sitting on my permanent backlog: Etrian Odyssey, Chocobo Tales, Puzzle Quest, Children of Mana, and just about every GBA RPG game from Fire Emblem to Sword of Mana to FF IV to Summon Night 1 and 2, and yes, even Final Fantasy I and II. (The only FF game I have EVER played is FF III on the DS).

I liked Magical Starsign because it is fairly straightforward and you can complete it in around 20 hours without missing anything - there aren't a lot of extras that you feel like you are missing if you just plow through the main story. I'm a bit like you Mrs Ship (and unlike Ship) in that I'm obsessive about completing games and getting all the little bits and pieces (doing sidequests, completing collections, etc). This is why I haven't jumped into most FF games and lots of other RPG's - I just don't have the time to play them like I want to. I put over 120 hours into DQ VIII, for example and just finished up over 100 in Rogue Galaxy.

Rocket Slime is a fairly easy game to complete 100% - at least in terms of rescuing the 100 slimes (which is not necessary to complete the story, but nice to do nonetheless). I didn't get all the recipes for tank ammo though - was missing 1 or 2 there at the end. Contact, on the other hand, is maddeningly frustrating in that you can't get anywhere NEAR completing the item collection (fish, recipes, etc) during normal play. You'd have to grind for hours to reach the levels needed to get the more obscure stuff. I'm glad I finished that one and put it away - I don't *always* have to complete things 100% ;).

Anyway, point is, Mrs. Ship, I think you will like your entire playthrough of Magical Starsign - I found it to be the perfect length for an above-average (though not great) DS RPG. It is long enough to engage but not too long to drag on (as Contact started to do).

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Great show as always. For some reason this time I couldn't hear Mrs. Ship very well a lot.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, we should have individual mics within the next couple of weeks.

[quote name='ZForce915']Another fine podcast shipwrecks! This has quickly become a must listen, right behind the real CAGcast, of course.[/quote]

I fully agree! Another great episode, and they're definitely getting better each week. My only fear is that if you guys keep talking about games I want, I'm not going to have much of my paychecks for rent or anything else. ;) Not so much the new releases, but when you guys talk about what you're playing, it seems that every week there's one or two where I say to myself, "Kristin, go buy that game next...." (There were 2 of those this week, dangit!) :D

/tk

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Persona 3 got delayed until next week T.T Probably going to get Dynasty Warriors for the DS. I love those games.[/quote]

Actually it got delayed until Aug 14th..... -_-

Ship & Mrs. Ship,

Nice work on the latest podcast. I check it out every week to get the scoop on what is coming out and what the best deals are.

Also liked the discussion making fun of NASCAR. too funny!

Keep up the good work!

If you were expecting Metallica and Aerosmith in Rock the 80s, you were going to be disappointed by the tracklist anyway. They're not going to put huge songs on this themed expansion pack.

[quote name='shipwreck']CAG Foreplay Podcast #10 is up on iTunes. Written form will be up shortly.[/QUOTE]

Damn you, I wanted to listen late Monday night, but now it is too late (5am, need sleep). I guess I will listen to it late Tuesday night after I play Strikers all evening ;).

bread's done
Back