What the hell is wrong with Jena, Louisiana?

Ikohn4ever

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
Jena Six refers to a group of six African-American teenagers who are charged with attempted second-degree murder after assaulting a white teenager in Jena, Louisiana. Critics including Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton have claimed that their arrests were racially motivated.[citation needed]

The "white tree"

At Jena High School, students of different races customarily seldom sat together. Black students traditionally sat on bleachers near the auditorium, while white students sat under a large shade tree, referred to as the "white tree," in the center of the school courtyard.[1]

During a school assembly on August 31, 2006, a black male freshman student asked permission from the principal to sit in the shade of the "white tree."[2] According to the recounting of events given by U.S. Attorney Donald Washington, the question was posed in a "jocular fashion."[3] The principal told the students they could "sit wherever they wanted."[2]

The following morning, three nooses were discovered hanging from the tree. Anthony Jackson, one of two black teachers at the high school, recalled, "I jokingly said to another teacher, 'One's for you, one's for me. Who's the other one for?'" Jena's principal learned that three white students were responsible and recommended expulsion. The board of education overruled his recommendation, to which Superintendent Roy Breithaupt agreed. The punishment was reduced to three days of in-school suspension.[1][4] The school superintendent was quoted as saying, "Adolescents play pranks. I don't think it was a threat against anybody."[5] Black residents of Jena claim that this decision stoked racial tensions that led to subsequent events.[4] The school district and parents who were aware of the incident did not report it to the police or any legal authority, though such incidents may be prosecuted as federal hate crimes by the Federal Bureau of Investigation.[3]

District Attorney Reed Walters and the "pen statement"

Accounts differ as to what happened afterward. According to some accounts, on September 5, a number of black students organized a peaceful sit-in under the white tree in response to the commuted punishment of the perpetrators. The protest was then dispersed by police.[6][7] U.S. Attorney Washington, speaking in July 2007, stated he could find no confirmation of this protest occurring. He could confirm that police were called to the school several times in the days after the noose incident in response to a rash of interracial fights between students.[3]

The principal called an impromptu assembly on September 6, in which students segregated themselves into white and black sections. The Jena Police Department asked LaSalle Parish District Attorney Reed Walters to attend and speak at the assembly. Walters was unhappy with the request because he was busy preparing for a case and, upon arrival, felt that the students were not paying proper attention to him.[3] Walters is alleged to have threatened the protesters if they didn't stop fussing over an "innocent prank" and to have stated, "See this pen? I can end your lives with the stroke of a pen." Black students state that Walters looked specifically at members of the black audience as he said this. Walters and school board member Billy Fowler, also present, deny that the comments were specifically directed at black students.[1] Nevertheless, police began patrolling the halls of Jena High on September 7, and the school was declared to be in total lockdown the day after.[8]

On September 10, several dozen black students attempted to address the school board concerning the recent events but were refused because the board was of the opinion that "the noose issue" had been adequately resolved.[9] Racial tensions and fights continued through the fall but were held in check by the ongoing football season. The high school team was doing unusually well, in large part due to efforts of several star black players, and students were unwilling to do anything to upset the season.[1]

Events prior to the Jena Six assault

On 30 November 2006, the main building of the high school was set on fire. The building was gutted and had to be later demolished. Blacks and whites accused each other of the arson.[1][10]

On Friday, December 1, there was a private party, attended mostly by whites, at the Fair Barn. Five black youths, including 16-year-old Robert Bailey, attempted to enter the party at about 11pm. According to U.S. Attorney Washington, they were told by a woman that they were not allowed inside without an invitation. The five youths persisted, stating that some friends were already in attendance at the party. A white man, who was not a student,[3] then jumped in front of the woman and instigated a fight. After the fight was broken up, the woman told both the white man and five black youths to leave the party. Once outside, the black students were involved in another fight with a group of white men, who also were not students.[3] Police were then called to investigate. Several months later, Justin Sloan, a white male, was charged with simple battery for his role in the fight and was put on probation. Bailey later stated that one of the white men had broken a beer bottle over his head,[4] but there are no records of medical treatment being given.[3]

The following day, an incident apparently stemming from this fight occurred at a local convenience store. A student who had attended the party encountered Bailey and several friends. An argument ensued, after which the white student ran to his pickup truck and produced a pistol-grip shotgun. Bailey ran after the white student and wrestled him for control of the gun. Bailey's friends intervened in the scuffle and took the gun away. Bailey refused to return it and ultimately took it home with him. Local police reported that the accounts of the white student and black students contradicted each other and formed a report based on testimony taken from eyewitnesses. This resulted in Bailey being charged with three counts: theft of a firearm, second-degree robbery and disturbing the peace. The white student who had produced the weapon was not charged.[1][3]

Jena Six assault

The following Monday, December 4, a white student named Justin Barker, aged 17, loudly discussed - "bragged," as characterized by National Public Radio - how Bailey had been beaten up by a white man that Friday night.[1] When Barker walked out of the school gymnasium into the courtyard later that day, he was assaulted by Bailey and five other black students, and was temporarily knocked unconscious. The concussion he suffered has been described in the media as resulting either from a punch to the face or from hitting his head on concrete when thrown to the ground. While on the ground, Barker was kicked repeatedly. Barker was examined by a doctor at the local hospital.[2][1] After two hours of treatment and observation for his concussion and an eye that had swollen shut, Barker was discharged in time to go to the school Ring Ceremony that evening.[4] In the meantime the six black students, eventually dubbed the "Jena Six"[11], were arrested.

Trial, prosecution, and legal proceedings

The six students - Robert Bailey, Mychal Bell, Carwin Jones, Bryant Purvis, Theo Shaw, and an unidentified minor[12] - were initially charged with aggravated assault. However, District Attorney Walters increased the charges to attempted second-degree murder, provoking protests from black residents that the charges, which could result in the defendants being imprisoned past age 50, were disproportional to the crime.[4]

On June 26, 2007, the first day of trial for defendant Mychal Bell, Walters agreed to reduce the charges for Bell to aggravated second-degree battery and conspiracy to commit aggravated second-degree battery.[13] A charge of aggravated battery requires the use of a "deadly weapon". Walters thus argued that the tennis shoes that Bell was wearing and used to kick Barker were deadly weapons, an argument with which the all-white jury agreed. Despite conflicting witness accounts on whether he was even involved in the attack[14], Bell was found guilty and will face the possibility of up to 22 years in prison when he is sentenced on September 20, 2007.

In late July, U.S. Attorney Donald Washington noted the lack of connection between the noose incident and the beating at Jena High school, noting that the more than 40 statements all failed to mention the noose incident.[3]

The case is currently in dispute as the court-appointed public defender did not call a single witness in his attempt to defend Bell.[14] Bell's new defense attorneys, Louis Scott and Carol Powell-Lexing, requested that a new trial be held on the grounds that Bell should not have been tried as an adult and that the trial should have been held in another parish.[15] On September 4, 2007, a judge dismissed the conspiracy charge but let the battery conviction stand, though he agreed that Bell should have been tried as a juvenile.[16]

On September 4, 2007, Carwin Jones and Theo Shaw also had their charges reduced to aggravated second-degree battery and conspiracy.[17]

Bell's criminal history

Mychal Bell's juvenile record was recently released, revealing that he had been previously convicted of four other crimes. Bell was put on probation for a battery that occurred December 25, 2005, and he was later convicted of yet another battery charge and two charges of criminal damage to property.[18]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jena_Six

dont like using Wiki as a source, but it just covers the whole story well. This shit has been going on since June and the only reason I heard about it was because of Real Time with Bill Maher. You combine this with the black athlete from Georgia who was charged with aggravated child molestation for having oral sex with a girl when they were both underage. You really get a picture of the justice system below the mason dixon line.

Good to see this story is starting to spread. It's currently got a Facebook group and I believe a couple Diggs.

But yeah, some of the people in this story are prime examples as to why there should be selective breeding in some states.

~HotShotX

that shit's just fucked up. Could've probably stopped most of it at the start by expelling the dumb kids that put up the noose. Like they didn't know exactly what they were doing

[quote name='HotShotX']Good to see this story is starting to spread. It's currently got a Facebook group and I believe a couple Diggs.

But yeah, some of the people in this story are prime examples as to why there should be selective breeding in some states.

~HotShotX[/quote]

my two cents:

I actually don't want to see this story spread, because in my opinion, at the heart of it, I feel it's just promoting more racial strife.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I swear people need to learn how to live together.[/quote]

Those idiots can't even manage to sit near each other to eat lunch. It's gonna be a long time before they can live together in peace.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I swear people need to learn how to live together.[/QUOTE]

It's gonna get a hell of a lot worse before it gets any better.

[quote name='pittpizza']Is it just me or does this remind anybody of To Kill a Mockingbird?[/quote]

"That's right Your Honor, there's no way we could've beaten up that young white boy, as all six of us caught our arms in cotton gins when we was young."

my two cents:

I actually don't want to see this story spread, because in my opinion, at the heart of it, I feel it's just promoting more racial strife.

Perhaps, but six lives should not be destroyed all because some cannot bring themselves to acknowledge evil in our country, let alone stare it in the eye.

~HotShotX

[quote name='mykevermin']It's gonna get a hell of a lot worse before it gets any better.[/quote]

Hehe, enter Al Sharpton!

Thousands are marching today in Jena. I feel so bad for the good people that live there. Whatever the racism these black kids faced, they beat a kid into unconciousness and then continued to beat him after he was down with a concussion. They don't deserve the death penalty or life in prison, but they don't deserve to be free either.

I have no doubt, though, that once again white guilt will trump sanity. With thousands of blacks marching in the streets, white people will once again give in to the Jesse Jackson's and Al Sharpton's. Sickening.

I know they say that it is wrong to judge a book by its cover. But look at a picture of Justin Barker. That racist hick is probably a KKK member who hung the nooses on the tree. He really reminds me of one of the dudes who killed the girl at the beginning of A Time to Kill. Its people like him that make me hate country music. I'm not saying he deserved the beat down...wait a minute...yes I am.

EDIT: here is the pic: http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2007/US/law/09/20/jena.six/art.justin.barker.gi.jpg

[quote name='pittpizza']I know they say that it is wrong to judge a book by its cover. But look at a picture of Justin Barker. That racist hick is probably a KKK member who hung the nooses on the tree. He really reminds me of one of the dudes who killed the girl at the beginning of A Time to Kill. Its people like him that make me hate country music. I'm not saying he deserved the beat down...wait a minute...yes I am.

EDIT: here is the pic: http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2007/US/law/09/20/jena.six/art.justin.barker.gi.jpg[/quote]

He deserves to be beaten into unconsciousness because he looks like a racist? Wow. You also realize that you just equated hanging nooses from a tree with the gangrape of a child? Nice. Are you a minority yourself, or is that white guilt eating at you?

[quote name='dragonreborn23']He deserves to be beaten into unconsciousness because he looks like a racist? Wow. You also realize that you just equated hanging nooses from a tree with the gangrape of a child? Nice. Are you a minority yourself, or is that white guilt eating at you?[/quote]

If it looks like a racist and walks like a racist, its a racist. So yeah, IMO racists deserved to get beat down.

I didn't equate hanging nooses from a tree to the gangrape of a child, you did. what I said was...and I quote: "He really reminds me of one of the dudes..." Judging by the first sentence I thought it was clear I meant based on his appearance. If it wasn't, then its my bad, if it was then its your bad. When you try to put words into someone's mouth, remember that it doesn't work as well when everything they said is laid out in text before them. Also try to remember that I already acknowledged its wrong to judge a book by its cover; so you're not really going to teach me anything there.

Some would debate whether I am a minority or not. I am a religious minority but I am a caucasion. I don't like to be called "white" because I wish to take responsibility for what I've done, not for what I am.

[quote name='pittpizza']

Some would debate whether I am a minority or not. I am a religious minority but I am a caucasion. I don't like to be called "white" because I wish to take responsibility for what I've done, not for what I am.[/QUOTE]

does it represent everything you hate? Oh and stop listening to so much NOFX.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']does it represent everything you hate? Oh and stop listening to so much NOFX.[/quote]

No, not everything I hate but some of it.

I can't stop listening to NOFX, i love punk music and they just rock so fucking hard! (and fast!)

[quote name='dragonreborn23']Hehe, enter Al Sharpton!

Thousands are marching today in Jena. I feel so bad for the good people that live there. Whatever the racism these black kids faced, they beat a kid into unconciousness and then continued to beat him after he was down with a concussion. They don't deserve the death penalty or life in prison, but they don't deserve to be free either.

I have no doubt, though, that once again white guilt will trump sanity. With thousands of blacks marching in the streets, white people will once again give in to the Jesse Jackson's and Al Sharpton's. Sickening.[/quote]

I kind of agree with this in some respect. The black kids did assault the white kid so they do deserve some form of punishment, regardless of the reason. However, this was a HIGH SCHOOL fight. How many of you ever saw or witnessed a high school fight? How many people were dragged through the courts from these fights? I bet not many and if they did, was there an ATTEMPTED MURDER charge dropped on them? 22 years in jail?!! It's assault at best, nothing else!

This is messed up and that is what skews the entire thing. The simple fact that a black kid having to ask administrators at his school if he could sit under the "white" tree is fucked up by itself. Nooses being hung, white kids being expelled and then brought back a few days later when it was classified as a prank?!! Good ol' deep south! As racist as ever.

Wow.........the white community there sure are racist. This explains it all.

This resulted in Bailey being charged with three counts: theft of a firearm, second-degree robbery and disturbing the peace. The white student who had produced the weapon was not charged.

Edit : Oh yeah, reading the wiki is way easier than reading the shit whoever wrote it on yahoo.com

[quote name='pittpizza']If it looks like a racist and walks like a racist, its a racist. So yeah, IMO racists deserved to get beat down.[/quote]

You started this all off with the preface "I know it's wrong to judge a book by its cover." And that's true. Nevertheless, you went ahead and pegged him as a bonafide racist because he's in overalls, with a hillbilly teen beard, and photographed next to a tractor.

That's where you're wrong - because a racist can look like anyone, and a racist doesn't have to be the kind of person who just calls people "nigger." The racist can be a dapper, well-spoken business owner who quietly refuses to hire any minority. The racist can be the person who blames all blacks for the poor condition of the inner-city; the person who refuses to look at patterns of felon disenfranchisement laws and see that their passage state-to-state is clearly related to the number of black felons incarcerated. The racist is the person who doesn't bother to know the differences between shias/sunis/kurds, waving off such nonsense with a swift "aw, they're all the same, anyway."

Racism is much more than Archie Bunker and backwater ya-hoos chasing people down in pickup trucks. If you think bigotry is a market cornered by John Cougar Mellencamp's America, you've got another thing coming.

Some would debate whether I am a minority or not. I am a religious minority but I am a caucasion. I don't like to be called "white" because I wish to take responsibility for what I've done, not for what I am.

Unless you're wearing krishna robes in public, what you appear to be is how you are judged. My guess is another white kid in jeans and a shirt (t or oxford?). What you appear to be is far more important than what you actually are, since people take visual cues and pass judgment, at every moment of your life, as to who you are and what you represent. Just think of how you judged that white kid above; who's to say he isn't a practicing Taoist? You?

As for the Jena case, what really bothers me is the fact that, yet again, our culture has decided that it's perfectly fine to charge teenagers as adults. For the Rainbow Coalition/PUSH foks, their charges are detestable because they perceive differential treatment due to race (and they seem to have a case there). However, at no point has anyone suggested that it's horrible and absurd to charge and punish teenagers as adults. We seem to be perfectly fine taking away folks' lives before they really begn.

[quote name='pittpizza']I know they say that it is wrong to judge a book by its cover. But look at a picture of Justin Barker. That racist hick is probably a KKK member who hung the nooses on the tree. He really reminds me of one of the dudes who killed the girl at the beginning of A Time to Kill. Its people like him that make me hate country music. I'm not saying he deserved the beat down...wait a minute...yes I am.

EDIT: here is the pic: http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2007/US/law/09/20/jena.six/art.justin.barker.gi.jpg[/QUOTE]
Seriously? Buddy, you're in Pittsburgh. I hate to break it to you, but you're hardly in high-brow Heaven. For every student at CMU there's someone with a mullet pinning for the good old days of the '70s.

Regardless, you're an idiot for judging this guy by the way he looks and where he's from. I taught for a while at a black college in Mississippi, and I was amazed to see how much more blacks and whites intermingled in daily life in Mississippi of all places, than anywhere else I've ever lived...and that includes Pittsburgh.

[quote name='mykevermin']
As for the Jena case, what really bothers me is the fact that, yet again, our culture has decided that it's perfectly fine to charge teenagers as adults. For the Rainbow Coalition/PUSH foks, their charges are detestable because they perceive differential treatment due to race (and they seem to have a case there). However, at no point has anyone suggested that it's horrible and absurd to charge and punish teenagers as adults. We seem to be perfectly fine taking away folks' lives before they really begn.[/quote]
That's an excellent point. There is no justification for these minors to be charged as adults.

I just watched the CNN special on it and while I hate basing everything I hear off of the media, this is just a horrible story. There is definately something wrong in Jena. It's also pretty bad when the DA says in any context to a group that was clearly upset about the nooses that, I can take away your lives with the stroke of a pen. At first, I found that hard to believe until not only a black substitute teacher confirmed it to the CNN reporter, but also a white man on the school's committee confirmed it as well.

The scariest thing is the fact that the ONLY reason we hear about it is the public demonstrations and media. It sucks that there are other communities out there that just have to sit there and take it because they aren't in the spotlight and their voices fall on deaf ears.

Yeah, it seems to me that this whole situation could have been avoided, if not tempered, if actions that clearly needed to be taken were actually taken. The kids who hung the nooses should have been punished more decisively, the DA should have some sort of action leveled against him, the white guy who brandished the gun at the black kid should have been charged, and the school should have actually fucking done something about the racial divide.

That being said, the Jena 6 should not be freed. Racist or not, they ambushed and beat someone into unconciousness. They deserve jail time.

I never said I was right in judging a book by its cover, I just said it. Just my opinion and it very well may be wrong, it isnt the first time and it wont be the last.

Myke has some very intersting points about the types of racism. Its an interesting and heavily loaded word "racist" and I've studied it extensively in a class called U.S. Races and the Justice system. It was a fascinating class and had surprisingly open discourse about sensitive subjects. There are passive racists, active and agressive racists, ones who use the N word and ones that simply avoid. There is no doubt a continuem (sp?). At the far end, towards the top, is probably this kid (or whoever hung the nooses) and his buddies.

I also didnt mean to imply that every kid w/ a mullet in Mississippi is racist. But the whole Jena incident is a racial issue and they did beat this kid down within a short time of when the nooses were hung. I am making an inference (maybe an incorrect one) by his appearance, the issue, the location and the facts of what happened that he is probably a racist.

Personally, I know I don't appear like a minority when I wear a red or blue tie, with a white shirt and a navy or black or grey suit. When I have to ask my boss for days off of work that aren't celebrated by non-minorities I do. I would never attempt to equate myself to people whose minorities are readily apparent.

I know Pittsburgh is filled with Mullets and Hicks and the middle of PA is even worse. A race track about 2 miles from my house used to have swastikas and KKK spraypainted on it all the time. It didnt come off that quickly either if I remember correctly.

Sharpton may do more harm than good IMO. He is just too over the top. Shit has gotta be crazy for people down there now. Didn't somebody say it was gonna get worse before it gets better?

From a legal standpoint, I doubt these kids would have gotten charged (AS ADULTS) with attempted murder for a high school fight if they were sons of rich white people. The other side would point out that this was a 7 vs. 1 fight and the kid was seriously hurt and say something like "If you do an adult crime, you will do adult time." Myke always points out that being tough on crime is always politically popular. This still shouldn't happen IMO.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']The south is such a $hithole. I wouldn't mind one bit if the US sold the bottom half of our country to Mexico.[/QUOTE]

Idiot. Just because this happens in some small LA town, the rest of the South is a shithole. You're just as ignorant as the dick who hung up the nooses.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']The south is such a $hithole. I wouldn't mind one bit if the US sold the bottom half of our country to Mexico.[/QUOTE]

This could be the most ignorant comment in the entire thread.

[quote name='pittpizza']There is no doubt a continuem (sp?).[/quote]

continuum. Or, you can use "spectrum" as well.

I know Pittsburgh is filled with Mullets and Hicks and the middle of PA is even worse.

Steelers fans, no doubt. ;)

Sharpton may do more harm than good IMO. He is just too over the top. Shit has gotta be crazy for people down there now. Didn't somebody say it was gonna get worse before it gets better?

I did, but I meant in the long run. As for Sharpton, he tends to have a "radical flank" effect, IMO. It's the political/protest version of asking for $20 allowance when all you want is $10 (which suddenly seems reasonable by comparison).

Myke always points out that being tough on crime is always politically popular.

Indeed I do. Indeed I do.

Have any more bridges collapse?

That's about as ignorant as your statement was.

Anyways, wasn't going to get involved but I wanted to share two people got arrested last night for having nooses hanging out the back of their truck.

Man the weird thing no one knows is early that day a kid pulled a shotgun on one of the african american kids, thats why he got "Assaulted with a deadly weapon" a.k.a shoe. And the african american kid went to prision for stealing a fire arme: he pried it out of his potential killiers hands. NPR has a good segment on this. check it out.

[quote name='MemphisGun']Man the weird thing no one knows is early that day a kid pulled a shotgun on one of the african american kids, thats why he got "Assaulted with a deadly weapon" a.k.a shoe. And the african american kid went to prision for stealing a fire arme: he pried it out of his potential killiers hands. NPR has a good segment on this. check it out.[/quote]

What the hell are you talking about?

bread's done
Back