Fire Pro Wrestling R ($8.98/$10.98/$13.98 @ FamilyVideo) (Amazon/Buy/Agetec shipping)

Sofa King Cheap

CAGiversary!
Feedback
16 (100%)
11/15 Edit: Amazon.com, Buy.com, and Agetec.com are shipping out orders.

11/12 Edit: We have a new lowest price after coupon or without coupon (thanks CAG IAmTheCheapestGamer) :

http://www.familyvideo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=279351

$10.98 after using coupon code NEWMEM3F (for existing accounts only, and not new members? Still works for me as of 11/14 at 10:30 PM EST)

$13.98 without the coupon code.

There is also some $5 off codes for new members that might not work anymore:

NEWMEM5F
NEWPGMEM
NEWGWMEM

If anyone can confirm that they work, give the heads up.

-------------------------------------------------------

11/11 Edit: Some notes about the release:

The localization producer from Agetec has stated that November 13th is the *ship date* and most stores will not have it in stock on that exact date, but a couple of days later. I guess that means online orders will ship 2 or 3 days later, as well.

For those looking for it in B&M stores, he also stated:

"Actually, Best Buy is a great place place to buy the title at the CL.
Others good places are Gamestop, Blockbuster, K-mart, Freds, Kaybee Toys, Amazon and of course Agetec’s webstore."

CL = checkout lane.

Edit: Some new screenshots are up at Agetec's site:

http://www.agetec.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=119

Edit: A Localization Producer for Agetec has confirmed the release date as being 11/13 (thanks CAG dopehat):

http://www.fireproclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=8220&p=100260&hilit=#p100260

Latest Edit:

GoGamer.com looks to have the cheapest non-promo/non-coupon related price at $14.13 shipped:

http://www.gogamer.com/Fire-Pro-Wre...VproductId22388627VVcatId444710VVviewprod.htm

Also, most e-tailers are giving this an early November release date of November 6th.

----------------------------------------------------
Edit: Agetec has added new box art and has included a video of the game to their website:

http://www.agetec.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=119

---------------------------------------------------
I was hesitant to post this here in the deals forum because it looks like the game will MSRP for under $15 and the links provided below really aren't deals off of that price. However, since Victorious Boxers 2 got CAG love in the VG deals forum here, I'd figure I'd spread the news to fellow bargain hunters looking for a good cheap game. Not to mention if this sells well, it helps the cause for future Spike wrestling games to come to North America.

Anyway, it looks like the critically acclaimed Fire Pro Wrestling Returns from the beloved Fire Pro series of wrestling games (Japan based) is being released in North America with a bargain bin price of around $15 and should be out in mid to late November for the PS2. There is already a CAG forum post about the game here (thread started by CAG pete5883):

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146363

The game is up for pre-order here:

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=205611610&loc=108 $12.99 (Nov 14th) Buy.com sales rank as of 9/9 = 709

http://www.amazon.com/Agetec-Fire-P...39?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1189330779&sr=1-2 $14.99 (Nov 27th) Amazon.com sales rank as of 9/9 = 566

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=7512278&style=games&BAB=M $12.99/12.74 (Nov 14th)

With that price point, buy one for Christmas for everyone you know who has a PS2 or PS3 . :)

I like everything about the games except for the collision detection... It's always been horrible. I wonder if it's improved at all since the DC version.

Gaming Goodness? More like Gaming Greatness.

[quote name='eastx']I like everything about the games except for the collision detection... It's always been horrible. I wonder if it's improved at all since the DC version.[/QUOTE]
Like when it comes to landing a strike move? I'd call it exact.

I've been looking into this series more and more ever since watching the video someone posted a link to in the thread mentioned above. From what I saw of it, you could make CAWs of just about anyone it seemed, though many people don't have the time to sit n tweak their CAWs to that extent.

This series reminds me ALOT of Pro Wrestling on the NES, which was one of my favorites to play at my one buddies house(I always would use Hayabusa and brain kick my friend till he got pissed and shut the NES off).

Anyone know if this'll be on a CD or DVD yet, cause I hate buying CD based PS2 games due to the fact they usually are the cause of DREs more often than not.

I was a huge fan during the Saturn and Dreamcast day but haven't gotten into it for the PS2. Will they have American wrestlers in it and get away with fake names or will it be like the Gameboy games that they didnt look anything like the American wrestlers but had the moves?

I have the import and it's DVD based. To answer Goldeneye's question, FPR had some TNA guys and a couple other free agents, but no one from WWE. As for the recoloring, I couldn't tell ya at this point but the import version has no recoloring.

This is a game you don't even have to like wrestling at all to enjoy. It's just a great game. Customization 2nd to none and the matches are fun as hell. This is so awesome to finally have menu's in English. And for $15? that's like deal of the year. Although I'm still afraid it won't sell well here in the U.S.

[quote name='pete5883']
Like when it comes to landing a strike move? I'd call it exact.[/QUOTE]

No, when it comes to lining up regular punches and kicks. Moves that look like they should connect sometimes don't.

I dislike wrestling but I've always had a soft spot for the FirePro series. It's brilliant, and I cannot friggin' believe this pirce.

This holiday is awesome. We're getting the first stateside release of a console FirePro and Power Pro Baseball.:applause:

[quote name='goldeneye64']I was a huge fan during the Saturn and Dreamcast day but haven't gotten into it for the PS2. Will they have American wrestlers in it and get away with fake names or will it be like the Gameboy games that they didnt look anything like the American wrestlers but had the moves?[/QUOTE]

Yes its like that but you can edit them to make them look like the actual wrestler (Granted it takes awhile)

I didn't like the GBa versions mainly because it was on GBA and fairly limited but I'll totally take a console version for that price.

All over this one, been waiting for a while for this to arrive. Always love when a system dies out slowly, you find some GREAT gems!

this is definately my second most anticipated title this holiday season (under DQM: Joker) and my wrestling game of choice. and, i'm getting it for only $12.99. that just made it sweeter.

[quote name='ZForce']I have the import and it's DVD based. To answer Goldeneye's question, FPR had some TNA guys and a couple other free agents, but no one from WWE. As for the recoloring, I couldn't tell ya at this point but the import version has no recoloring.[/QUOTE]

Off the top of my head, these are the current WWE and TNA wrestlers in the game:

Umaga
Brian Kendrick
The Great Kahli

Sting
Jeff Jarrett
AJ Styles
Petey Williams
Kevin Nash
Scott Steiner
Rick Steiner
Senshi
Curry Man (Chris Daniels)

I'm guessing all WWE guys and some TNA guys get re-colored (except for Curry Man, as that's a Japanese based character). Also, Spike could also surprise us and add some more American names for it to appeal to a broader audience in the states.

Of course, the game also has American Legends and American stars in Japan like:

Vader
Bigelow
Bret Hart
Hall
Andre
Hawk
Animal
Sabu
D Lo Brown (Japan)
A-Train (Japan)
(and a ton more legends)

If a wrestler is signed under the WWE Legends program, they might have to be recolored also.

I never played a Fire Pro game but I keep hearing good things about it. Plus, it has Sting! :( i never got an WCW games so I never felt to joy of being Sting.

Hey, fans of this series MUST go to this site: www.fireproclub.com

The forum is full of downloadable edit packs for the japanese version of the game, literally thousands of high quality wrestler edits, ring edits, logo edits, and so on. And a damn good community to boot.

The great thing about this game? It doesn't matter who is in it because the customization is so deep. Groups live to recreate wrestlers in painstakingly accurate detail in these games - so you can buy this for $15, wait a few days to a week, and there will be gamesaves available with custom WWF/WCW/TNA/ROH/whatever ring aprons, and as many amazingly spot-on custom wrestlers as you can imagine.

It has such a dedicated following that there is no need to be concerned about what it doesn't have, because someone will make sure the game does have it in short order.

[quote name='thegarageband']in b4 Owen Hart falling from that rope thing[/quote]

Yea..pretty low on your part...

Just curious, but how much space on a memory card does a create a wrestler take? I'm kinda hoping or planning to make a big ass roster...

Hopefully someone will make files that will go onto the PS3 as well, cuz I bet a lot of us PS3 owners will be getting this game considering the crap roster we are getting out of Smackdown 08

thanks for posting... cause I definitely want to try the game out. Reminds me of pro wrestling and tecmo world wrestling.

[quote name='eastx']No, when it comes to lining up regular punches and kicks. Moves that look like they should connect sometimes don't.[/quote]

i know what you mean, but i think of it as a sort of "unintentional" realism. i mean, think about it; if you're far right of someone, would you really believe a right punch from you would land?

annoying as all hell, especially w/ grapple and running moves, but i thought the way you picked up weapons in D sucked more, as well as connecting on some moves off the turnbuckle

[quote name='aniousjoe']i know what you mean, but i think of it as a sort of "unintentional" realism. i mean, think about it; if you're far right of someone, would you really believe a right punch from you would land?

annoying as all hell, especially w/ grapple and running moves, but i thought the way you picked up weapons in D sucked more, as well as connecting on some moves off the turnbuckle[/QUOTE]

Glad somebody else acknowledged it. I just don't know how the developer can keep making the same mistakes over and over for years on end. Bad collision detection is bad collision detection, not that it ruins the game. I guess most people enjoy the character creation so much they're willing to overlook it... Kinda like how some bought Forza 2 for the custom cars rather than the racing.

[quote name='bardockkun']Just curious, but how much space on a memory card does a create a wrestler take? I'm kinda hoping or planning to make a big ass roster...[/quote]

A Firepro gave same takes up about 917kb on a Memorycard. Its a standard size, wether you have zero edits created, or even if you fill up all available slots.

The game comes with 500 edit slots for your own, or someone elses creations.

Also, you can have I believe... 6 created Ring logos, 8 Edit referees, a bunch of custom rings, and 8 created title belts.

You can also create your own federations and organizations to order the wrestlers within them as you wish, so if theres a guy you use all the time, he can appear at the top of the list. You can also create factions/stables within those organizations. Dont get too excited tho, this really only affects how you select the wrestlers, what order they show up in on the select screen, etc.

It's obviously just me, but the game looks like ass. The depth of moves and wrestlers is nice, but the graphics looks like they are 10 years old. It would be REAL nice if they would bring over Wrestle Kingdom for the 360 though. Still, it's always nice to see long running Japanese series FINALLY translated. Gives me hope for games like Far East of Eden Ziria. As for those worried about it selling well, it really depends on who carries it. At $15 it should sell well regardless, but if Wally world and target carry it, I would think it will sell exceptionally well.

[quote name='eastx']Glad somebody else acknowledged it. I just don't know how the developer can keep making the same mistakes over and over for years on end. Bad collision detection is bad collision detection, not that it ruins the game. I guess most people enjoy the character creation so much they're willing to overlook it... Kinda like how some bought Forza 2 for the custom cars rather than the racing.[/quote]
i wouldn't go so far as to say "bad" collision detection... it's not random, at least. it is somewhat master-able, and it's not something a newb could beat a skillful person at. it's more like, faulty, 'cause of how concise you have to be... as much as i like the character creation options, tho', i'd have to say that i like the special matches myself: 8 man battle royal, electric steel cages, mma-like octagon, and the lightbulbs and barbed wire death matches... keep in mind, tho', i'm refering to fire pro d (for dreamcast). i haven't tried this ps2 version, so i don't know if these match-types'll show up

[quote name='mietha']It's obviously just me, but the game looks like ass. The depth of moves and wrestlers is nice, but the graphics looks like they are 10 years old. It would be REAL nice if they would bring over Wrestle Kingdom for the 360 though./quote]

the graphics ARE from 10 years old. actually, more than that. point is, this is the age old argument that graphics=great game. hell, rampart looks like shit, but it's still fun to me. it's definitely classic, in terms of looks, but i'd take this over the wwe's broken crap anyday... you won't get an argument from me on Wrestle Kingdom, tho' :applause:

it'll never come out 'cause of it's mainly japanese wrestlers

as i wrote that, i thought of this game, lol... but the likelihood still sucks to me

[quote name='mietha']It's obviously just me, but the game looks like ass. The depth of moves and wrestlers is nice, but the graphics looks like they are 10 years old. It would be REAL nice if they would bring over Wrestle Kingdom for the 360 though. Still, it's always nice to see long running Japanese series FINALLY translated. Gives me hope for games like Far East of Eden Ziria. As for those worried about it selling well, it really depends on who carries it. At $15 it should sell well regardless, but if Wally world and target carry it, I would think it will sell exceptionally well.[/QUOTE]

Nah, last time they tried porting a wrestling game for the US, we got "Power Move Pro Wrestling" out of Toukon Retsuden. Yech.

Besides, Fire Pro plays like Fire Pro - Wrestle Kingdom is just various Japanese promotions on top of the WWE Day of Reckoning engine. You've played that game already.

just to add on support, i think the most defining moment for me about this series is that as a little kid, i always tried to think of new moves; moves the wwf/wcw/ecw never showed. while some may have just been left to toys (ie. impossible in real life), it was actually indescribable to see some of the moves i thought i "made up" performed in this game!!

I'm tagging this thread so I don't forget to buy this. If there's one thing I love, it's customizable games and Fire Pro is the king of customization.

[quote name='darkcrawlspace']I thought Google checkout didn't work on pre-orders.[/quote]That's what I've heard, but decided to check it out. The page for Fire Pro even says you can get $10 off. So I tried it and voila:

[quote name='Confirmation e-mail'] Order Details - Sep 10, 2007 09:26 GMT-06:00
Google Order #759623458377076
Shipping Status Qty Item Price
Not yet shipped
1 Fire Pro Wrestling Returns USD12.99
Shipping & Handling (Standard: 3 to 5 business days) : USD4.40
Tax (UT) : USD0.00
Google Checkout & Buy.com $10 Sign-up Bonus -
Bonus may not appear on Buy.com's web site or emails. -USD10.00
Total: USD7.39[/quote] [quote name='aniousjoe']just to add on support, i think the most defining moment for me about this series is that as a little kid, i always tried to think of new moves; moves the wwf/wcw/ecw never showed. while some may have just been left to toys (ie. impossible in real life), it was actually indescribable to see some of the moves i thought i "made up" performed in this game!![/quote]I started watching wrestling back in high school. And sometimes my friend and I would come up with moves together. I remember once I thought of a move that we named the "rocking horse". Then a couple of weeks later we were watching WCW and Konnan did "my" move. What's even stranger is that Mike Tennay then said, "Oh, this is a new one. And I was talking with Konnan earlier today and he says he calls it the Rocking Horse Cradle'." I couldn't believe the similarity. But it was probably a move that had been around for a long while. It's just nobody uses it. It's a pretty no-brainer move to improv in the ring. But I thought it was cool, nonetheless.

[quote name='MorPhiend']That's what I've heard, but decided to check it out. The page for Fire Pro even says you can get $10 off. So I tried it and voila:

I started watching wrestling back in high school. And sometimes my friend and I would come up with moves together. I remember once I thought of a move that we named the "rocking horse". Then a couple of weeks later we were watching WCW and Konnan did "my" move. What's even stranger is that Mike Tennay then said, "Oh, this is a new one. And I was talking with Konnan earlier today and he says he calls it the Rocking Horse Cradle'." I couldn't believe the similarity. But it was probably a move that had been around for a long while. It's just nobody uses it. It's a pretty no-brainer move to improv in the ring. But I thought it was cool, nonetheless.[/quote]

Cool, I love that move. I first saw it performed in All Japan Womens wrestling. Konnan was the first guy I ever saw do it in the US.

Cool that you know him irl too. I think Konnan is one of the greatest & most underrated Mic workers in the biz. I cant count how many times he's had me cracking up with his hilarious promos.

Never tried this series, but combine all the good things I've been hearing with the fact that I've never used Google checkout before, and how can I resist for less than $8?

[quote name='MorPhiend']I started watching wrestling back in high school. And sometimes my friend and I would come up with moves together. I remember once I thought of a move that we named the "rocking horse". Then a couple of weeks later we were watching WCW and Konnan did "my" move. What's even stranger is that Mike Tennay then said, "Oh, this is a new one. And I was talking with Konnan earlier today and he says he calls it the Rocking Horse Cradle'." I couldn't believe the similarity. But it was probably a move that had been around for a long while. It's just nobody uses it. It's a pretty no-brainer move to improv in the ring. But I thought it was cool, nonetheless.[/quote]

this is the move i thought of. i called it a joe-driver (not THAT much imagination for a kid- bear in mind, i was, like, 10):

schwein.jpg

but it's called "schwein" (or "shubein" in D)... badass move, but gotta give it to them jap wrestlers... THEY are the true innovators of wrestling. just wiki up "the muta scale" for some badass, useless information, lol

bread's done
Back