Team Fortress 2 Beta Sept. 17th and more

gorgonzola238

CAGiversary!
On the Steam Powered website, it's been announced that a Team Fortress 2 beta will begin on Monday the 17th. You can also save $5 if you pre-purchase the Orange Box.

Unfortunately, if you own HL2 and Episode 1 you will have to buy it again, unless you do each individually. However, they have a way that you can share your extra copies with a friend.

Info here: http://www.steampowered.com

I can't wait to play TF2!

[quote name='darthbudge']What exactly do you need to do to get in on the TF2 beta?[/quote]

Pre-Order The Orange box by Monday.

It has to be the whole thing, not TF2 by itself.

I'm kinda on the fence, but I've been dying to play TF2. I was definitely on the TF2 is a hoax wagon all the way up until they finally spoke about it.

Sounds like a good plan to get people to pre-order. I really want a physical copy of the games, and at the same time I want to play the beta.

Bluh. While I already have HL2 and Episode One, I'll probably preorder this anyway. If anyone wants either of those games, PM me.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Is there a way to get in on HL2 Ep2, TFC2, and Portal without paying for HL2 and HL2Ep1?[/quote]

I don't think so.

I still don't own HL2 or Ep1, so the Orange Box works great for me. But everyone else gets screwed.

Why is offering the now-cancelled Black Box (which includes just the new stuff) not possible over Steam?

Thanks for the heads up gorganzola. I have been trying to stay away from anything steam until the release date since it just makes me think about stuff I can't have atm. I never would have found out if you had not posted this.

Definitely going to preorder it now from Steam instead of buying a physical copy since no one is giving away any good preorder stuff with it.

I just pre-ordered my copy. This is a great deal, even for those of us who already own HL2 and Episode 1. This is probably the greatest deal in the history of gaming, especially for those few people out there that don't own HL2 or Episode 1. I mean if these people pre-ordered right now they would get HL2, both episodes, Portal, Team Fortress 2, access to the beta for TF2, AND PEGGLE EXTREME all for just $45. I love Valve, maybe on an unhealthy level sometimes.:D

[quote name='Serik']I don't think so.
Why is offering the now-cancelled Black Box (which includes just the new stuff) not possible over Steam?[/quote]

I think they're gonna offer that like a week before it comes out or maybe after it comes out.

[quote name='Noodle Pirate!']Thanks for the heads up gorganzola. I have been trying to stay away from anything steam until the release date since it just makes me think about stuff I can't have atm. I never would have found out if you had not posted this.

Definitely going to preorder it now from Steam instead of buying a physical copy since no one is giving away any good preorder stuff with it.[/quote]

No problem. I just watched the video showcasing the Engineer (The best class in the game) and I'm sold.

Even if you have a physical copy you have to authenticate through Steam. I just figure, download it and burn it to a disk, or redownload it.

Quick question for those who have experience in preloading stuff from steam.

This "beta" for tf2 they will open up on the 17th, is this the full preloaded version that I have? Or will this be a differnt DL that will be made available on the 17th?
When they say beta, do they really just mean early entry into the full retail version?

I got some major concerns on this game as an old TF player back when the mod first surfaced on quake. When it moved to halflife it became a steaming pile of shit in comparison. TFC was total crap (luckily other people made Q3F later). While I do like the new style in TF2 in terms of the art direction, they've removed all Grenades which is what 50% of TF's gameplay was based off of. not to mention the spies can't feign death anymore.................

seems rather gimped to me

[quote name='Noodle Pirate!']Quick question for those who have experience in preloading stuff from steam.

This "beta" for tf2 they will open up on the 17th, is this the full preloaded version that I have? Or will this be a differnt DL that will be made available on the 17th?
When they say beta, do they really just mean early entry into the full retail version?[/quote]

The preload is basically downloading the core components that will not change between now and the final release, i'm guessing textures, sounds and the like. They did the same for when Half Life 2 and Episode 1 were being released. Instead of downloading the entire thing, you preload a majority of the stuff and then you download the final stuff on the release day.

As for the beta, it's just to test the servers and that fun stuff I guess.

[quote name='Zoglog']I got some major concerns on this game as an old TF player back when the mod first surfaced on quake. When it moved to halflife it became a steaming pile of shit in comparison. TFC was total crap (luckily other people made Q3F later). While I do like the new style in TF2 in terms of the art direction, they've removed all Grenades which is what 50% of TF's gameplay was based off of. not to mention the spies can't feign death anymore.................

seems rather gimped to me[/quote]

I never played the original, only TFC so I can't give a comparison. I really loved TFC and is where I cut my teeth on multiplayer (HLDM was too slow paced, i'm used to The Tournament for DM).

For the grenades, I think it's a good thing. The demoman will be the only grenade carrier. In TFC a lot people would spam grenades, like the Spy gas pill at respawn. As an engy I loved the EMP, but now you have to adapt to not having it which I think will be ok.

And they Spy in TF2 can turn invisible now, instead of feigning. I sucked as spy so that doesn't help in the argument, but maybe it will play a little different.

I can't wait til monday almost 8 years since VALVe originally announced this game.

I read TF2 will have a respawn time. If it's not a server-side setting, I'll be pissed; respawn times won't work on brutal maps like Dustbowl.

Hardcore TFC players bitch about Valve's decision to remove grenades, but it's a great way to get plays to employ more creative and team-based strategies. On Dustbowl, defenders can hold back the attackers with nade spam for several minutes alone. It's a viable strategy, to be sure, but it gets old.

I'm also curious about TF2's times-to-kill. In the promo videos, everyone dies instantly, which probably isn't an accurate representation of gameplay. In TFC, TTK was perfect: you could live long enough to pull off some ridiculous shit, but you weren't invincible.

And speaking of invincible, I still have my reservations about the Medic's ability to make teammates invulnerable. These sort of wacky powerups tend to ruin other FPS's I play...

[quote name='gorgonzola238']I never played the original, only TFC so I can't give a comparison. I really loved TFC and is where I cut my teeth on multiplayer (HLDM was too slow paced, i'm used to The Tournament for DM).

For the grenades, I think it's a good thing. The demoman will be the only grenade carrier. In TFC a lot people would spam grenades, like the Spy gas pill at respawn. As an engy I loved the EMP, but now you have to adapt to not having it which I think will be ok.

And they Spy in TF2 can turn invisible now, instead of feigning. I sucked as spy so that doesn't help in the argument, but maybe it will play a little different.

I can't wait til monday almost 8 years since VALVe originally announced this game.[/QUOTE]

Well the grenades really helped balance out against the sentry guns. And technically I guess demomen still have pipebombs, but it's still not the same as the old school grenades. no more gren or conc jumping too so I guess Soldiers will have the only jumping leverage with rockets.

I'm still looking forward to playing (just bought orange box) but so far I don't know how long this game will be fun anymore.

The Fortress Forever mod was released today. If you have HL2, I highly recommend giving it a spin.

If I buy the Orange Box, do I have to wait until October to play HL2?

Are you kidding? Q3F was good but probably one of the buggiest mods that i can remember for quake 3.

I haven't played it yet (looking forward to on monday) but as i recall in most hl games nade spamming can get freakin old after a while.

The orange box is a pretty good deal it's worth it for the new games alone, do people complain when the elder scrolls game of the year comes out and they paid for some of the mods already?
especially when valve is letting you give them away to people who don't own hl2 /episode 1?

--Also why is the pyro burning a beaver on a skateboard???

I will be spending the majority of my freetime on tf2 starting on the 17th. I would enjoy playing with other cags if you guys are interested.

My steam id is str8edgezombie.

I can't wait to relearn the game and hopefully my tfc experience will absorb some of the learning curve of the new version. (and I pray that my pc can handle it smoothly)

The 2 classes I will be playing are Engie and medic with maybe some sniper thrown in. If you are a lonely HW guy looking for that special someone with BSI on their mind, give me a shout!

Never played this, but it seems to be getting a lot of hype. I pre-ordered the Orange Box, so I'm in on the beta. my steamid is Apossum.

[quote name='Serik']The Fortress Forever mod was released today. If you have HL2, I highly recommend giving it a spin.

If I buy the Orange Box, do I have to wait until October to play HL2?[/QUOTE]

Doesn't look like it, I'm now installing HL2, and I just preordered.

So, I'll definatly be in the beta. Steam name's jedi8955

yeah, you can download everything but Portal and TF2 now. You can pre-load TF2.

TF: Classic was the very first FPS that I played for the PC. I remember watching trailers for the "TF:2" back like 5 years ago when it looked like a ww2 game. This game looks FANTASTIC. I like the "Pixar" look. Gives it something new. I didnt want something realistic. Looks like I will be spending alot of time playing TF2. I will be up for a Clan if someone wants to make one. I can supply the webspace and website if needed.

[quote name='Fuzzibunny']TF: Classic was the very first FPS that I played for the PC. I remember watching trailers for the "TF:2" back like 5 years ago when it looked like a ww2 game. This game looks FANTASTIC. I like the "Pixar" look. Gives it something new. I didnt want something realistic. Looks like I will be spending alot of time playing TF2. I will be up for a Clan if someone wants to make one. I can supply the webspace and website if needed.[/QUOTE]

Tf2 first showed up in 99 thats like 8 years ago. Maybe Duke Nukem forever actually has a chance.

Oh crap, I spent a good 3-4 years playing TFC, hell it was the very reason I convinced my parents to get cable back in the day. This game ruled so hard, I can't wait for TF2. Even to this day I play classic every now and then. :)

[quote name='Negative']Oh crap, I spent a good 3-4 years playing TFC, hell it was the very reason I convinced my parents to get cable back in the day. This game ruled so hard, I can't wait for TF2. Even to this day I play classic every now and then. :)[/quote]

LOL I just Downloaded it now. So fun. Very fast pace but i love it. Heavy Gunner and Engineer are still my favorites.

I was playing tfc off and on all day as well. All the skills/techniques/tricks I use to have are slowly coming back to me. It's too bad my trackball picked today to start crapping out on me : ( It better last until I can find a replacement. I dont want something so insignifigant to spoil my tf2 party. I have waited too long for this.

I can't wait to see which maps they have converted to tf2. Monday is a day I thought I would never see. I will need to pinch myself to acknowledge that it's really tf2 and I'm really playing it.:p
It feels a lot like xmas as a kid. You know its coming and you know your getting something sweet, it's just a matter of counting down the days :p

If any new people want to learn how to play an engie well, try the "1|N one world online Pub humans vs bots" tfc server. I have yet to come across any jerks or unsportsmanlike behaviour. It's all about working together and helping each other out on there.

Since your fighting against bots, the best offense is a lot of engies and you get to learn how to use them best and good sg placement. Since engie is my fav class, it's the perfect server for me. Plus you dont get insulted by the bots if they kill you. ;P
The bots on there have to be the most ruthlesslly agressive bots in any fps game I have seen. So much so that sometimes they even win a few rounds. It's challenging but very rewarding when you score. Its a perfect balance I think.

I'm sure those skills will carry over to tf2 no matter how different the new engie is.
Only 1.5 more days till TF2!

These movies were posted up on the official TF2 forums. They are a quick overview of a few of the maps included. You get to see some taunt animations with it as well. Very cool. You can even recognize some of the layouts of the tfc maps that have been redone. : )
http://youtube.com/view_play_list?p=787CF85D42A6808B

I'll be playing tomorrow too. My name is Furry King on there.

TFC was my first online multiplayer game. I had it downloaded for like ages as a kid but I was too scared of gaming on the net so I never immediately played it. One day I was just bored and tried it out and found myself sitting in my pjs for hours. Mess was crack.

Is it just me or why can't i play yet? it's monday, what time is it being released?

[quote name='Zoglog']Well the grenades really helped balance out against the sentry guns. And technically I guess demomen still have pipebombs, but it's still not the same as the old school grenades. no more gren or conc jumping too so I guess Soldiers will have the only jumping leverage with rockets.

I'm still looking forward to playing (just bought orange box) but so far I don't know how long this game will be fun anymore.[/QUOTE]

Conc jumping was way overpowered in TFC. It was so bad that they reduced the verical of concs, and it was still too much. I'm glad they reduced or eliminated grenades. I didn't expect that but it was a balance issue.

I'ma huge TFC fan but goot annoyed by its balance issues that never seemed to be addressed. I wanted to get this TFC2 But it's overpriced. I'm not paying $45 bucks for just TFC2 and HL2E2. I have everything else. In a few months the price will probablly come down or it'll be on sale somewhere.

[quote name='BULL_Ship']its 6pm valve time still no beta[/quote]

man i bet gabe newell has a big red button that has to be pushed to initiate the beta but he promised he'd eat 1000 donuts to the staff on beta release date.
hl2gabe.jpg

[quote name='Qslugs']I bet he left his computer on again and someone stole the sorce code for that start button.[/quote]

LOL I almost forgot about the HL2 Source code

bread's done
Back