Someone is stealing food in my apartment...any help? ***UPDATE 9/22***

Droogs

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
So, I’ve lived in the same apartment for a year now with my best friend from high school. Over the past year we've been noticing that some of our food was gone and got mad at each other over it thinking the other one ate it. But this isn't the case.

Tonight, I went to grab a bag of popcorn to make. I bought three boxes of Orville Redenbacher’s a few months back and only opened one box. When I reached down to grab it, I noticed it was empty and even had an empty wrapper in it. I thought to myself, "what the hell". So i grab for the next box, and again, this one was empty. Needless to say, the last one was empty too. Whoever took the popcorn opened the boxes and put the opened end on the bottom.

Now, I’m thoroughly convinced it is the maintenance people seeing as how they are in the next door over in the hallway and they have a key to our apartment. I'm not sure what to do, but I’m thinking about using a camera to catch someone before I bring it up to the main people.

I have the Xbox live vision camera I can connect to my laptop. Are there any programs that will start recording video when it detects motion? Because that seems to be the only solution. Nothing else has been stolen except for food over the past year, which makes me even more certain it's a maintenance guy just coming over for a snack.

***UPDATE 9/19/07***
sample picture of where my webcam is set up

***UPDATE 9/20/07***
Roomate's girlfriend comes alone, somehow has key

***UPDATE 9/22/07***
Roomate's girlfriend keeps unplugging my computer instead shutting it because i yelled at her for doing that awhile ago. It's pissing me off, so i'm posting more of her.

This is a joke... right? Wouldn't they want your money? Or maybe food that doesn't need to be warmed up would be a better solution for them...

In that case, make sure that you only have healthy foods in your house so that they don't become overweight. No oreos in your house anymore!

The hidden camera thing *might* work, as long as they don't see it.

Try this...

pretend to leave your apartment, and make ZERO noises...then wait for a knock on the door (hopefully your not expecting anyone that day)....

If they knock, then use the keys to get in, then you catch them in the act.

060907hamburgler.jpg

I had one of those operations set up a few years ago. I had gotten a webcam and it came with this security program and I used it to check on the cleaning lady. It only came on when there was motion and worked great. There was no stealing though.

This isn't a joke, It's been going for months now. We've had Oreos, Pop-Tarts, Popcorn, Soft Batch Cookies, oatmeal, Mountain Dew, among other food items. But no other type of thing has been taken. I have thousands of dollars worth of videogames, music, and DVDs in bookcases, and i guess they just pass on by.

I'm going to check out the video program and we'll see how it goes.

[quote name='Zen Davis']All right I admit it. It was Punk_Raven. He stole your food.[/quote]

I thought nobody would find thoose daily trips from Maryland to Ohio suspicious. :applause:

:roll:

[quote name='Dingleberry']This isn't a joke, It's been going for months now. We've had Oreos, Pop-Tarts, Popcorn, Soft Batch Cookies, oatmeal, Mountain Dew, among other food items. But no other type of thing has been taken. I have thousands of dollars worth of videogames, music, and DVDs in bookcases, and i guess they just pass on by.

I'm going to check out the video program and we'll see how it goes.[/QUOTE]

The reason why they aren't stealing the other expensive shit because they know that will trigger a police investigation.

Now here is a good idea.. Set up a tripod and a video camera and have it facing the door in PLAIN view. Attach a note just below the camera and write in big letters.... "I GOT YOU NOW BITCH!". If they can read English, they are going to panic and get out quick. If they take the camera/video tape, well then they will leave behind finger prints.

Once you trigger the police investigation, the police will see no sign of forced entry and asks you who else has the keys to the apartment, you will then say Landlord and the maintenance guys. The police will question them and if they do a fingerprint match then they are screwed.

If it turns out to be the land lord, only one thing I can tell you... "Get the fuck out of there ASAP!"

[quote name='Punk_Raven']I thought nobody would find thoose daily trips from Maryland to Ohio suspicious. :applause:

:roll:[/quote]

Well too bad for you that I was paying attention!

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']put exlax in a bunch of stuff, they will learn their lesson, just make sure not to eat it[/QUOTE]

that can backfire in so many ways you know..

[quote name='ITDEFX']Now here is a good idea.. Set up a tripod and a video camera and have it facing the door in PLAIN view. Attach a note just below the camera and write in big letters.... "I GOT YOU NOW BITCH!". If they can read English, they are going to panic and get out quick. If they take the camera/video tape, well then they will leave behind finger prints.
[/QUOTE]

It scares me that you're a teacher.

Are you allowed to put up a chain guard on the door? That would stop people from entering your apartment when you aren't there (if you get the kind with a key that detaches and attaches for when you leave).

[quote name='ITDEFX']that can backfire in so many ways you know..[/QUOTE]

yes, but as long as it backfires on his roomy and not him, it will remain funny

[quote name='Dingleberry']http://www.universityvillage.com/

It's like a mile north from the OSU stadium on Olentangy.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I'm very familiar with the place. Never been in there, but I see buses all the time at school. It doesn't seem like a place I'd want to live in, with noisy, drunk college students. If I ever live off-campus while in college, it'll be at a place where college students don't live.

/nerd

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Yeah, I'm very familiar with the place. Never been in there, but I see buses all the time at school. It doesn't seem like a place I'd want to live in, with noisy, drunk college students. If I ever live off-campus while in college, it'll be at a place where college students don't live.

/nerd[/quote]

you've obviously never been here....because it's pretty much all asians that don't want to deal with the noise of living on campus.

[quote name='Dingleberry']you've obviously never been here....because it's pretty much all asians that don't want to deal with the noise of living on campus.[/QUOTE]
That makes sense, as all the people I see getting on/off the buses are Asians. :lol: They also love the nearby Kroger.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']That makes sense, as all the people I see getting on/off the buses are Asians. :lol: They also love the nearby Kroger.[/quote]

that, they do...and i just went there to replenish my supply of popcorn.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Now here is a good idea.. Set up a tripod and a video camera and have it facing the door in PLAIN view. Attach a note just below the camera and write in big letters.... "I GOT YOU NOW BITCH!". If they can read English, they are going to panic and get out quick. If they take the camera/video tape, well then they will leave behind finger prints.
[/QUOTE]

How will they leave behing finger prints if they take they things they touched, Camera/Video?

[quote name='pimpinc333']How will they leave behing finger prints if they take they things they touched, Camera/Video?[/quote]

I have three empty popcorn boxes...they've got to be all over those.

[quote name='ITDEFX']The reason why they aren't stealing the other expensive shit because they know that will trigger a police investigation.

Now here is a good idea.. Set up a tripod and a video camera and have it facing the door in PLAIN view. Attach a note just below the camera and write in big letters.... "I GOT YOU NOW BITCH!". If they can read English, they are going to panic and get out quick. If they take the camera/video tape, well then they will leave behind finger prints.

Once you trigger the police investigation, the police will see no sign of forced entry and asks you who else has the keys to the apartment, you will then say Landlord and the maintenance guys. The police will question them and if they do a fingerprint match then they are screwed.

If it turns out to be the land lord, only one thing I can tell you... "Get the fuck out of there ASAP!"[/quote]

Please tell me that is a joke...

I once decided to pee in a bottle of apple juice after a roomate and his friends stole my food constantly, yeah they drank it.

I'm just imagining this whole story being thought up by your roomate as a way to cover up his own tracks.

Buy some oreos and put some stuff in there that will give the person the runs. Either you find out quickly or they stop coming back for your shit(pun intended mwahaha)

This reminds me of the old Martin show, when the guy from upstairs would constantly just come in from the fire escape and make sandwiches. Right in front of him. Lock your windows OP!

Just put out a sign, saying that you put exlax in certain things, certain things that you know has been taken before. You don't actually have to put any exlax in the things, but I'm sure just the sign will deter any more food from being stolen.

[quote name='Dingleberry']I have three empty popcorn boxes...they've got to be all over those.[/QUOTE]

there ya go

do they take the popcorn or do they have the balls to MAKE the popcorn at your place and take it to go?

If this story doesn't end with you braining a guy with a snow shovel then next time you tell it add the snow shovel beating.

It has to be your roommate, he is probably just bullshitting you.

Go buy a webcam and start recording, you should make it really obvious you just went grocery shopping and leave the bags on the counter/table with the camera focused on them. They seem to like junk food, so have a couple boxes of poptarts and a bag of popcorn already popped ready. THEN CATCH THOSE PUNK ASSES!

[quote name='yukine']It has to be your roommate, he is probably just bullshitting you.

Go buy a webcam and start recording, you should make it really obvious you just went grocery shopping and leave the bags on the counter/table with the camera focused on them. They seem to like junk food, so have a couple boxes of poptarts and a bag of popcorn already popped ready. THEN CATCH THOSE PUNK ASSES![/quote]

it's not though, because he's been getting mad at me for months for supposedly taking his food as well.

[quote name='ITDEFX']there ya go

do they take the popcorn or do they have the balls to MAKE the popcorn at your place and take it to go?[/quote]

There was an empty popcorn wrapper in one of the boxes, so i'm assuming they atleast made one bag in my apartment and didn't want to throw the wrapper in ou trash because we would see it.

[quote name='Dingleberry']it's not though, because he's been getting mad at me for months for supposedly taking his food as well.[/quote]

Ever heard of the phrase "the best defense is a good offense"

I'm guessing you're not pre-law ;)

[quote name='camoor']Ever heard of the phrase "the best defense is a good offense"

I'm guessing you're not pre-law ;)[/QUOTE]

As a matter of fact, I bet the OP has been stealing his roommates food, and he has set up this thread with the hope his roommate will stumble across it and be convinced the OP is not a thief.

I still think it's the room mate. Your saying it's more likely that people are sneaking into your pad to eat your food? Sorry but thats b&e for microwave popcorn, I guess stranger things have happened.

I'd put something in the food to see when food comes up missing if your room mate gets sick or not. Baring that I'd rub my balls over most of the food then after it turns up missing post a note on the door saying that I had done as much. Granted you can't eat ball touched food, but the price you pay for smiting of your thieves.

bread's done
Back