Half-Life 2 Requires Internet Connection

[quote name='BigNick']Im sure this will work as well as M$ Win XP activation.......[/quote]

In that it will be annoying to everyone except pirates?

[quote name='jmcc'][quote name='BigNick']Im sure this will work as well as M$ Win XP activation.......[/quote]

In that it will be annoying to everyone except pirates?[/quote]

pretty much. I say 2 days after the release, there will be a cracked version out.

Dude. Read it. It's not a big fucking deal. It connects ONE TIME. ONE TIME.

"All versions require an Internet connection upon installation" to prove the legitimacy of a player's copy, Lombardi said. "This is for authentication/anti-piracy purposes. Once this has been completed, the owner of either the retail or the Steam version can play Half-Life 2 single player in offline mode."

This isn't even worth its own thread.

[quote name='BigNick'][quote name='jmcc'][quote name='BigNick']Im sure this will work as well as M$ Win XP activation.......[/quote]

In that it will be annoying to everyone except pirates?[/quote]

pretty much. I say 2 days after the release, there will be a cracked version out.[/quote]

eh, you can't blame them for trying though. I mean, it's only one of the most highly anticipated PC titles ever and they have already been bitten once over a year ago, delaying the product almost by a year and a half.

Sure, you only have to connect once. But is each copy of HL2 going to have its own identifier, so that if you sold the game to another CAG, they would not be able to reigster it since the identifier was already registered to the original user? This stinks, just like Windows XP registration.

It makes a TCP connection direct to Valve to authorize. You can't "crack" that, but no doubt there will be a fix to remove the authorization. Pirates are tricky.

most people these days have a fast enough internet to deal with it, as long as valve doesnt take info from you or load malware or something, who cares?

[quote name='Flashmonkey']most people these days have a fast enough internet to deal with it, as long as valve doesnt take info from you or load malware or something, who cares?[/quote]

It doesn't even need to be fast, nor does it need to be done multiple times. But it really does suck for anyone without a net connection.

I'll make sure to buy it after a "no verification" crack has been made. It is this kind of stupid overprotection that made new versions of NWN unplayable for thousands of people who bought it.

[quote name='Scrubking']I'll make sure to buy it after a "no verification" crack has been made. It is this kind of stupid overprotection that made new versions of NWN unplayable for thousands of people who bought it.[/quote]
I never heard about that. So NWN has to connect to the internet?

In all reality, is there going to be somebody with a PC that's good enough to run HL2 that doesn't have an internet connection?

[quote name='evilmax17']In all reality, is there going to be somebody with a PC that's good enough to run HL2 that doesn't have an internet connection?[/quote]

There's people out there with computers good enough to run games today without DVD roms, making multiple cds still necessary, so I wouldn't discount them lacking a NIC or modem either.

[quote name='evilmax17']In all reality, is there going to be somebody with a PC that's good enough to run HL2 that doesn't have an internet connection?[/quote]

That's a good point. Anyone familiar with the power needed to run this game would feel the same way.

Well, I don't know anyone with a nice gaming rig that does not have any form of internet connection but I do understand this could be a problem for some people. However, one of the selling aspects of HL2 is the fact that it comes with Counter-Strike: Source. You obviously need a connection for that so I'm sure they are only hurting maybe about 5% of the people who would actually buy the game. Like a previous poster stated, they are going after the pirates more than anything. I don't doubt a hacked version will eventually appear but this will at least slow them down. Doesn't really change anything for me though since I bought mine off of Steam.

[quote name='Kaijufan'][quote name='Scrubking']I'll make sure to buy it after a "no verification" crack has been made. It is this kind of stupid overprotection that made new versions of NWN unplayable for thousands of people who bought it.[/quote]
I never heard about that. So NWN has to connect to the internet?[/quote]

No. What happened is that Atari Made Bioware add copy protection shit to one of their patches which suddenly made thousands of games unplayable because the software wouldn't recognize the LEGAL serial, the disk in the drive or the drive itself. The best part is that they actually told gamers to get new drives.

[quote name='GuilewasNK'][quote name='valor19'] Doesn't really change anything for me though since I bought mine off of Steam.[/quote]

What is Steam?[/quote]

So glad you asked!!!
Link

Edit: "Steam delivers Valve’s games to your desktop and connects you to a massive gaming community. Check out the full feature list now."

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']A.) This actually probably isn't true. It's being disputed.

B.) I give it 3 days TOPS before it's cracked.[/quote]

What isn't true? What Lombardi said? You're right. We shouldn't trust a guy who is in charge of a project when he makes an official announcement. Doing so would be a dangerous precedent to set. Whatever... :roll:

[quote name='Scrubking'][quote name='Kaijufan'][quote name='Scrubking']I'll make sure to buy it after a "no verification" crack has been made. It is this kind of stupid overprotection that made new versions of NWN unplayable for thousands of people who bought it.[/quote]
I never heard about that. So NWN has to connect to the internet?[/quote]

No. What happened is that Atari Made Bioware add copy protection shit to one of their patches which suddenly made thousands of games unplayable because the software wouldn't recognize the LEGAL serial, the disk in the drive or the drive itself. The best part is that they actually told gamers to get new drives.[/quote]
Thats too bad. I connect so slowly to the internet that I never update my games anyway, so it doesn't apply to me.
Also, I went to Bioware's site last night, and pretty soon they are going to be selling offical NWN modules, and they will require that you connect to the internet.

You guys act like this is a big surprise. You OBVIOUSLY weren't big HL players. Otherwise you'd remember the annoying WON Authentication of HL. That happened EVERY time you connected to an online game.

[quote name='daphatty']You guys act like this is a big surprise. You OBVIOUSLY weren't big HL players. Otherwise you'd remember the annoying WON Authentication of HL. That happened EVERY time you connected to an online game.[/quote]

Ah, you haven't played online until you've WON. Yeah HL2 could give the player herpes and I'd still probably play it.

[quote name='MorPhiend'][quote name='CoffeeEdge']A.) This actually probably isn't true. It's being disputed.

What isn't true? What Lombardi said? You're right. We shouldn't trust a guy who is in charge of a project when he makes an official announcement. Doing so would be a dangerous precedent to set. Whatever... :roll:[/quote]

Did you ask him yourself, in person? Everything can end up being a "he said, she said" situation. And like I said, this won't protect the game for long.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge'][quote name='MorPhiend'][quote name='CoffeeEdge']A.) This actually probably isn't true. It's being disputed.

What isn't true? What Lombardi said? You're right. We shouldn't trust a guy who is in charge of a project when he makes an official announcement. Doing so would be a dangerous precedent to set. Whatever... :roll:[/quote]

Did you ask him yourself, in person? Everything can end up being a "he said, she said" situation. And like I said, this won't protect the game for long.[/quote]

Well, I didn't ask President Bush in person, but I'm pretty sure that he is running for President again. Oh, and Usama bin Laden; never seen him, but I do think that he might have had something to do with some sort of building getting destroyed somewhere.
Get real. You act as if al-Jazeera were reporting the story.

[quote name='MorPhiend']Well, I didn't ask President Bush in person, but I'm pretty sure that he is running for President again. Oh, and Usama bin Laden; never seen him, but I do think that he might have had something to do with some sort of building getting destroyed somewhere.
Get real. You act as if al-Jazeera were reporting the story.[/quote]

Jesus H Christ. That's the way I heard the story...it was a bit chaotic and rumors were flying at the time. EXCUSE ME for misunderstanding. Jeez, and did you have to bring in your politics over this? Pfft.

And that doesn't change the fact that it won't stop piracy.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge'][quote name='MorPhiend']Well, I didn't ask President Bush in person, but I'm pretty sure that he is running for President again. Oh, and Usama bin Laden; never seen him, but I do think that he might have had something to do with some sort of building getting destroyed somewhere.

*****. That's the way I heard the story...it was a bit chaotic and rumors were flying at the time. EXCUSE ME for misunderstanding. Jeez, and did you have to bring in your politics over this? Pfft.

And that doesn't change the fact that it won't stop piracy.[/quote]

Don't freak out bro. I originally posted the story and the main content is a quote direct from Lombardi where he, himself, stated what has been discussed in here. Then you said it was, "he said, she said." You didn't misunderstand, you never paid attention. The very thing you argued against, hearsay, is what you were doing: "That's the way I heard the story...". Don't get your panties in a wad when you blab your baseless opinion without checking the original information and then someone shuts you down. And then you go back everytime to saying that people will still pirate it. I never said they wouldn't! That's like trying to convince bin Laden that the U.S. is evil, he already believes it! :roll:

[quote name='MorPhiend'][quote name='CoffeeEdge'][quote name='MorPhiend']Well, I didn't ask President Bush in person, but I'm pretty sure that he is running for President again. Oh, and Usama bin Laden; never seen him, but I do think that he might have had something to do with some sort of building getting destroyed somewhere.

*****. That's the way I heard the story...it was a bit chaotic and rumors were flying at the time. EXCUSE ME for misunderstanding. Jeez, and did you have to bring in your politics over this? Pfft.

Don't freak out bro. I originally posted the story and the main content is a quote direct from Lombardi where he, himself, stated what has been discussed in here. Then you said it was, "he said, she said." You didn't misunderstand, you never paid attention. The very thing you argued against, hearsay, is what you were doing: "That's the way I heard the story...". Don't get your panties in a wad when you blab your baseless opinion without checking the original information and then someone shuts you down. And then you go back everytime to saying that people will still pirate it. I never said they wouldn't! That's like trying to convince bin Laden that the U.S. is evil, he already believes it! :roll:[/quote]

That's the second time you've used Bin Laden in an example. Do you have a little crush on him, maybe?

[quote name='jmcc'][quote name='MorPhiend'][quote name='CoffeeEdge'][quote name='MorPhiend']Well, I didn't ask President Bush in person, but I'm pretty sure that he is running for President again. Oh, and Usama bin Laden; never seen him, but I do think that he might have had something to do with some sort of building getting destroyed somewhere.

Don't freak out bro. I originally posted the story and the main content is a quote direct from Lombardi where he, himself, stated what has been discussed in here. Then you said it was, "he said, she said." You didn't misunderstand, you never paid attention. The very thing you argued against, hearsay, is what you were doing: "That's the way I heard the story...". Don't get your panties in a wad when you blab your baseless opinion without checking the original information and then someone shuts you down. And then you go back everytime to saying that people will still pirate it. I never said they wouldn't! That's like trying to convince bin Laden that the U.S. is evil, he already believes it! :roll:[/quote]

That's the second time you've used Bin Laden in an example. Do you have a little crush on him, maybe?[/quote]

Well, I try to use overly obvious examples for people who don't seem to understand straight forward logic.

I've got a preorder for the collector's edition. I'll install it and whatnot, but I'll sure get the DVD / CD hack for anti-registration the minute it comes out. Valve will probably go out of business within the next 10-15years- and I'm going to still get to play the game- to hell with what happens to Valve.

How'd you like it if you bought a game and 10 years down the road you could not play it- tell your kids- this was a great game for it's time but I can't show it to you because the company doesn't exist anymore.

bread's done
Back