Anyone play Shadow of the Colossus or Bully?

decon

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
I picked up God of War today, it was a game I always wanted to play but never did.

Now just have to wait until the $99 PS2 price drop.

How's Shadow of the Colossus and Bully?

I'm still not entirely sure how anyone who considers him/herself a gamer made it this far without a PS2, but maybe I'm just an early adopter.

Yes, both are excellent.

[quote name='defiance_17']I'm still not entirely sure how anyone who considers him/herself a gamer made it this far without a PS2, but maybe I'm just an early adopter.

Yes, both are excellent.[/quote]
I used to own the early handhelds game/watch, then NES, SNES, GB, GBA, N64,G C, DSlite, DC, PS1, XBOX, Wii. Got tired of how expensive the games became so I became more selective on which systems I bought. And marriage limits your spending too!

Now with CAG, I'm picking up a PSP next week and already have 16 PSP games.

I skipped PS2 and don't see any games of interest on PS3 or 360 yet. God of War was the only game that interested me in the PS2.

Shadow of the Colossus and the Katamari games were the only games that attracted me to the PS2 that I couldn't get elsewhere. SotC is great, but play it soon. It's not going to age well at all with some pretty severe techincal limitations.

[quote name='ihadFG']Shadow of the Colossus is my favorite PS2 game. Get it.[/quote]

I read the Gamespot review, but it looks to me much like Zelda for Wii (which I got bored of).

Shadow of Colossus is amazing.

When all my local stores were out of the game release week, I drove almost 2 hours to get it at another EB that had it.

It's that good.

I seem to be alone in my opinion, but I don't think Shadow of the Colossus is all that great. Of the 15 bosses in the game only 3 or 4 of them are good. Would you like to buy my copy of it?

Bully is fun but an enhanced version is coming to Wii and 360 so you may want to wait if you have either of those.

[quote name='decon']I read the Gamespot review, but it looks to me much like Zelda for Wii (which I got bored of).[/quote]SotC is very much not like Zelda, other than both games have bosses, a protagonist with a sword, and a horse.

Bully is a lot of fun. I paid full price and I had no regrets. It was a really good game.

[quote name='daroga']SotC is very much not like Zelda, other than both games have bosses, a protagonist with a sword, and a horse.[/quote]

Exactly what I would say.

Yeah SotC is not like Zelda in the least. Zelda builds on a formula Nintendo has used since the first Zelda on the NES, SotC is completely unique and original.

There's a reason why there is such a clamor for what the Ico/SotC team is currently working on for the PS3; the two games are just THAT good. Anyone who hasn't played these games really needs to especially at the price they are at. If you're trying to make an argument for videogames as art, these two games would be Exhibits 1A and 1B.

i liked bully but not as much as SotC. i felt like i was doing the same thing over and over again on bully. it was fun at the beginning though. SotC is a short game but its a game like no other.

[quote name='decon']I read the Gamespot review, but it looks to me much like Zelda for Wii (which I got bored of).[/quote]
SoTC is, in the best explanation, complexly simple. You have the colossus to take down, that's the point of the game; you find each colossus and you kill them, move to the next -- but killing them takes strategy and thinking. It's almost like a puzzle/action game.

SOTC is a great game it just feels so damn epic never played bully but if you can find ICO pick that one up also great game made by same people as SOTC

[quote name='daroga']SotC is very much not like Zelda, other than both games have bosses, a protagonist with a sword, and a horse.[/QUOTE]
Also, as you noted about SotC, I'd say both games are similar in that they will most likely age very poorly. A major difference between the two, IMO, is that unlike Zelda:TP, SotC it is not marginally disappointing.

As someone whose gaming time is extremely thin in busier weeks, one of the features I enjoyed about SotC is that I was able to play in small chunks of time (20-30 minutes) in moving from colossus to colossus. The "your next foe" way of doing things segmented the game nicely for me.

I can safely say Bully is one of the PS2's greatest games. It is one of the few games to date I actually paid full price for when it came out, and even though I'm not a fan of Grand Theft Auto, the theme in Bully is just what I needed. Bully has personality, it truly feels like you're running through being a menace in a real High School (though I don't know what High School would remotely tolerate you beating the hell out of staff). You get to live out your dreams of vandalizing property, egging every douche you see, pantie raids, and of course, beating the hell out of literally everyone with somewhat limited consequences. So ya, get Bully, it's what Grand Theft Auto never was.

[quote name='PenguinMaster']I seem to be alone in my opinion, but I don't think Shadow of the Colossus is all that great. Of the 15 bosses in the game only 3 or 4 of them are good. Would you like to buy my copy of it?

Bully is fun but an enhanced version is coming to Wii and 360 so you may want to wait if you have either of those.[/quote]

I actually HATED SOC myself. To me it's like an un-fun version of Zelda.

I just got done watching Reign Over Me, so seeing somebody ask about Shados of the Colossus is kind of funny.

I played Bully last year. I really liked it. I never made it through the GTA games but was able to beat Bully without any problems, so that might be a negative for some. I think I put in 20-25 hours, it was fun while it lasted.

If you have a Wii, I'd wait until the new version of Bully comes out for that console. They are adding some new things to Bully for the Wii.

[quote name='wizard341']I actually HATED SOC myself. To me it's like an un-fun version of Zelda.[/quote]
It sounds like, in my opinion, that you were expecting a Zelda-ish game, but didn't get that so you were disappointed.

I personally thought it was really fun, but kinda easy and short. Also, don't expect a Zelda game.

[quote name='Duckbutt']I just got done watching Reign Over Me, so seeing somebody ask about Shados of the Colossus is kind of funny.
[/quote]
Umm...I don't understand the connection at all.

shadow of the colossus and ico are both games worth owniing and replaying although shadow of the colossus has the most replayability of the 2. its like playing art more or less and if youve ever played zelda games shadow of the colossus will make you wonder how come zelda games especially the bosses cant be this amazing. the bosses will freakin blow your mind.

buylly to me is a mixed bag. the initial school theme and stuff you can do is fun but it grew old on me quick. ive youy like gta games and cant get enough of them then its worth owning but if youre tired of the same old gta formula i dunno. this along with psychonaughts i was kinda dissappointed in and have bothered to play them again yet and i might not even bother to beat them.

if youre a fan of the godfather flicks you may want to check out the god father game as well as scarface.if you can get them on the cheap theyre worth owning.

[quote name='wizard341']I actually HATED SOC myself. To me it's like an un-fun version of Zelda.[/QUOTE]

I didn't hate it but did find it extremely boring. Like Penguin stated all but 3 of the bosses sucked.

[quote name='lokizz']shadow of the colossus and ico are both games worth owniing and replaying although shadow of the colossus has the most replayability of the 2. its like playing art more or less and if youve ever played zelda games shadow of the colossus will make you wonder how come zelda games especially the bosses cant be this amazing. the bosses will freakin blow your mind.

buylly to me is a mixed bag. the initial school theme and stuff you can do is fun but it grew old on me quick. ive youy like gta games and cant get enough of them then its worth owning but if youre tired of the same old gta formula i dunno. this along with psychonaughts i was kinda dissappointed in and have bothered to play them again yet and i might not even bother to beat them.

if youre a fan of the godfather flicks you may want to check out the god father game as well as scarface.if you can get them on the cheap theyre worth owning.[/quote]

I pretty much agree with you on every point.

1. Loved SOTC and ICO
2. Didn't care for Bully or Psychonauts
3. Liked Godfather ok and really liked Scarface

[quote name='VidgamesgivemeA_D_D']Umm...I don't understand the connection at all.[/quote]

Charlie Fineman's favorite video game is Shadow of the Colossus. It's a pretty good movie, check it out. I rented it at a RedBox, so it was just a buck a night.

Bully is an incredibly fun and hilarious game. It recently joined the Greatest Hits list, so there should be no reason for any PS2 owner to not get the game.

I had SotC for over a year but didn't start playing it until a couple weeks ago. That's how big my backlog is. And I did not want to start on the game until I finished Ico (which is also another must play). With that being said, SotC is an experience not to be missed, and I love everything about this game. From the artistic visuals and designs, to the music score, and of course the Colossus'. I am currently on #14 and I do not want it to end.

Incredible game. Wished I would've played it sooner. Get it.

[quote name='lokizz']
if youre a fan of the godfather flicks you may want to check out the god father game as well as scarface.if you can get them on the cheap theyre worth owning.[/quote]

If you go with the Godfather, get it for the Wii, it received the best ratings for that version and I enjoyed it more than any other of those GTA styled games. I bought it used at EB Games for $25 this summer.

[quote name='Duckbutt']Charlie Fineman's favorite video game is Shadow of the Colossus. It's a pretty good movie, check it out. I rented it at a RedBox, so it was just a buck a night.[/quote]

No I've seen it in theaters when it first came out and now I bought it on DVD but haven't watched it yet since theaters. I just forgot all about that part. Adam Sandler playing SOTC in his apartment.

Yeah im buying a PS2 again because i want to play games i never got a chance to play yet. Such as SotC. I forgot about Bully, might pick that up if the 360 version is 50-60 dollars. I also want to get Warriors, Okami, Godhand, and a few others. Is Beautiful katarami better then the 360 demo of it? Cos i didnt really think that was fun.

2 great experiences! the only thing is that i feel that bully's got some long load times between the different parts of the game.

[quote name='crewj']2 great experiences! the only thing is that i feel that bully's got some long load times between the different parts of the game.[/QUOTE]
That's one of the things that killed it for me. Loading spots were everywhere.

hmmm maybe the wii or 360 version will be faster loading?

I heard Okami is now going to be on the wii, so that should be good. With updated graphics, and the wii mote as the paint brush. Sounds good.

[quote name='The 7th Number']hmmm maybe the wii or 360 version will be faster loading?

I heard Okami is now going to be on the wii, so that should be good. With updated graphics, and the wii mote as the paint brush. Sounds good.[/QUOTE]
Maybe, but it'll also cost almost 3x as much so not worth it IMO.

The game wasn't that interesting to me anyways, so no big deal. :p

SotC is great. Best horse ever in a game (yes, better than Epona) and feels like it has a mind of its own instead of being a "vehicle." I actually felt sad killing the giants though.

Bully starts off great, but if you do all the classes the game becomes a grindfest with no motivation to do all the side quests. Play Bully slow in regards to progressing through school. And enjoy the kickass score for the game.

I've been picking up a bunch of games that came out during my Halo playing years, all the gems I ignored and waited to get cheap.
Recently I've been beaten Warriors, Fallout, Getting Up, Path of Neo, Monster Hunter, Timesplitters3, Hitman Blood Money, Indigo Prophecy and Shadow of Colossus. I can honestly say I enjoyed SotC the most, its short and sweet, around 20 hours finding all the fruits and lizards but I made the game too easy for myself.

I'm thinking of hitting Bully, Kingdom Hearts 2, God of War 1 and 2, Xmen Legends 2, Ultimate Alliance and Splinter Cell Double Agent next. Then I might just be ready for a nextgen console. I want to top out my past gen consoles at 100 games beaten. Any pointers?

[quote name='crunchb3rry']SotC is great. Best horse ever in a game (yes, better than Epona) and feels like it has a mind of its own instead of being a "vehicle." I actually felt sad killing the giants though.

Bully starts off great, but if you do all the classes the game becomes a grindfest with no motivation to do all the side quests. Play Bully slow in regards to progressing through school. And enjoy the kickass score for the game.[/quote]

you are dead on about argus ( or argos i cant remember the horses name) that horse was freakin amazing. the way he runs around the way he moves hell the way you can get him to come to you without needing a stupid ocarina that horse was alive and he was more of a part of the story than epona was in the zelda games dont get me wrong though i thought epona was awesome in OOT the first time you get him and jump over the wall but aside from getting places faster spona wasnt usefuly beyond that.

shadow of the colossus and ico are games for people who love games simply put. i cant understand how anyone could complain about either of those games not being good. they did what most games have yet to do which is strecth the boundaries of what a player can really do in a game world. you are just riding some set path you choose where you want to go and how you will get there and when it comes to each colossus battle you have to put in the work to the best way to win. shit man nobody here no matter how much you love nintendo or hate sony can play that flying sand colossi battle and not love that game.

if the people who made ico and shadow of the colossus ever got the chane to work on a zelda game damn man that would be the best game ever. i wish those 2 groups would collaborate on a game.

[quote name='Jonny Polychronopoulos']I've been picking up a bunch of games that came out during my Halo playing years, all the gems I ignored and waited to get cheap.
Recently I've been beaten Warriors, Fallout, Getting Up, Path of Neo, Monster Hunter, Timesplitters3, Hitman Blood Money, Indigo Prophecy and Shadow of Colossus. I can honestly say I enjoyed SotC the most, its short and sweet, around 20 hours finding all the fruits and lizards but I made the game too easy for myself.

I'm thinking of hitting Bully, Kingdom Hearts 2, God of War 1 and 2, Xmen Legends 2, Ultimate Alliance and Splinter Cell Double Agent next. Then I might just be ready for a nextgen console. I want to top out my past gen consoles at 100 games beaten. Any pointers?[/quote]

ive played both bully (own) and kh2 (borrowed), and bully is real fun but it kind of gets lame and boring because its repitive and the setting isnt as big as like the 3 islands in the gta games. its only a school and the town. kh2 i beat the story mode but its real hard to get 100% completion. great fun game though

bread's done
Back