What happened to Pizza Hut dine in locations?

ITDEFX

CAGiversary!
Feedback
13 (100%)
Lately I have been noticing local Pizza Hut dine in locations (you know with the pizza and salad bars) around here in Northern VA have shut down. The noticeable red roof top now light blue. Now I haven't been to a pizza hut in years and I haven't seen any information about HQ shutting down any dine in locations.
I did google it and read that some locations have a rat problem but that's in NY... is this true of all locations?

Yes I know other pizza is better, but I am just curious to know what has happened.

whatever happened to credibility? the milkman? the telephone? and evening TV?

ill tell you what happened to Pizza Hut's dine in locations:

laziness

i used to go to dinner with my friends and family to pizza hut all the time, but no one ever wants to go anymore because they'd rather get delivery

maybe its not as popular

but you can still find dine in locations (just not as popular as they used to be)

[quote name='Halo05']Go find a Pizza Hut Bistro, their Buffalo Chicken pizza is freaking awesome.[/quote]

oh my god, buffalo chicken pizza is the best pizza EVER

" What ever happend to predictability?
The milk man, the paper boy, evening T.V
You miss your old familar friends, but
waiting just around the bend.

Everywhere you look (everywhere)
There's a heart (there's a heart)
A hand to hold on to.
There's a face of somebody who needs you.

When you're lost out there and your all alone
A light is waiting to carry you home
Everywhere you look."

[quote name='getmeoutofjoliet']" What ever happend to predictability?
The milk man, the paper boy, evening T.V
You miss your old familar friends, but
waiting just around the bend.

There's a heart (there's a heart)
A hand to hold on to.
There's a face of somebody who needs you.

When you're lost out there and your all alone
A light is waiting to carry you home
Everywhere you look."[/quote]

its been 10 years

dont judge me

[quote name='becuzimbrown']its been 10 years

dont judge me[/quote]

My little brother, for some odd reason, loves that show. I know that song anywhere. :lol:

[quote name='getmeoutofjoliet']
My little brother, for some odd reason, loves that show. I know that song anywhere. :lol:[/quote]

yea, everytime someone says "whatever happened to....."

thats the only thing i think of

i suck at the lyrics though, never remember the correct words

[quote name='becuzimbrown']whatever happened to credibility? the milkman? the telephone? and evening TV?[/quote]
Whatever happened to old values and fine morals and good breeding? Now, no one even says "oops" when they're passing their gas.

[quote name='becuzimbrown']

ill tell you what happened to Pizza Hut's dine in locations:

laziness

i used to go to dinner with my friends and family to pizza hut all the time, but no one ever wants to go anymore because they'd rather get delivery
[/quote]
The last few times I've been in dine-in locations (my son looooves Pizza Hut) it's been terrible. They always forget something, typically the breadsticks. The pizza is either scalding or lukewarm. Uncomfortable seating, awful fluorescent lights, and pixillated HDTVs. Toppings are awful, scant and not distributed well. It's clear that delivery is what they pay attention to; everything else is an afterthought. I'd honestly rather eat in Chuck E. Cheese.

The only nice one is a Pizza Hut/Taco Bell, but those are even more hit and miss. The closest one of those to me is just horrible. Constant wrong orders, long waits, and a cramped and ugly restaurant.

I was in a dine-in Pizza Hut in Indiana once, which was totally the opposite. Food was good, atmosphere was nice, and it seemed like they actually cared about your presence.

They probably closed that one.

[quote name='blandstalker']Whatever happened to old values and fine morals and good breeding? Now, no one even says "oops" when they're passing their gas.

The last few times I've been in dine-in locations (my son looooves Pizza Hut) it's been terrible. They always forget something, typically the breadsticks. The pizza is either scalding or lukewarm. Uncomfortable seating, awful fluorescent lights, and pixillated HDTVs. Toppings are awful, scant and not distributed well. It's clear that delivery is what they pay attention to; everything else is an afterthought. I'd honestly rather eat in Chuck E. Cheese.

The only nice one is a Pizza Hut/Taco Bell, but those are even more hit and miss. The closest one of those to me is just horrible. Constant wrong orders, long waits, and a cramped and ugly restaurant.

I was in a dine-in Pizza Hut in Indiana once, which was totally the opposite. Food was good, atmosphere was nice, and it seemed like they actually cared about your presence.

They probably closed that one.[/quote]

Read the whole thread and you'll know what i meant by the first part of my first post

jeez, i just like pizza at pizza hut...but i guess you ruined that for me too

The ones here in the Philadelphia, PA area disappeared also. We used to have three different sit down locations in my neck of the woods, the one is a Mexican restraunt now, another is an expensive Italian place, and the last was tore down to make way for another bank. We still have two Pizza Hut/Wing Street delievery places however.

[quote name='rcannon']The ones here in the Philadelphia, PA area disappeared also. We used to have three different sit down locations in my neck of the woods, the one is a Mexican restraunt now, another is an expensive Italian place, and the last was tore down to make way for another bank. We still have two Pizza Hut/Wing Street delievery places however.[/quote]

come to Allentown

Allentown has everything doesn't it? I go up to Dorney on a weekly basis when they are open and it's amazing to me how much better the shopping is in the area and the prices are better than in the Philadelphia area.

[quote name='YoshiFan1']Allentown has everything doesn't it? I go up to Dorney on a weekly basis when they are open and it's amazing to me how much better the shopping is in the area and the prices are better than in the Philadelphia area.[/quote]

[MEDIA]http://youtube.com/watch?v=K62DdoFoNeg[/MEDIA]

dining at a pizza hutt is a dead tradition. that was back in the day when pizza was a treat and most places didnt deliver. i blame dominoes for the death of dining at pizza hutt. man there was nothing better than thick hott slabs of peperoni pizza, glass after glass of cold frosty pepsi and centipede. lots and lots of centipede. and youd end the night with some of those little pastel colored round candies.

last time i actually went to dine in at a pizza hutt the peopel there actually looked surprised we showed up to eat there. mind you this was like 1pm so oyoud think thered be a lunch rush but nope the place was empty and most of the table had boxes stacked on them. reminded me of that scene in the goonies when they go into the restaurant.

[quote name='lokizz']dining at a pizza hutt is a dead tradition. that was back in the day when pizza was a treat and most places didnt deliver. i blame dominoes for the death of dining at pizza hutt. man there was nothing better than thick hott slabs of peperoni pizza, glass after glass of cold frosty pepsi and centipede. lots and lots of centipede. and youd end the night with some of those little pastel colored round candies.

last time i actually went to dine in at a pizza hutt the peopel there actually looked surprised we showed up to eat there. mind you this was like 1pm so oyoud think thered be a lunch rush but nope the place was empty and most of the table had boxes stacked on them. reminded me of that scene in the goonies when they go into the restaurant.[/quote]

Agreed. But I wouldn't place the blame solely on Dominoes. It's a combination of factors. You've got the internet, which, like the /pizza command in EverQuest II, made pizza delivery convenient & people lazy. Then you've got cheaper, bigger flat screen tvs (plasma, lcd, etc.) so movie night is more fun & inexpensive at home rather than going out to a theater where they charge you an arm, a leg and the soul of your firstborn. Also, since gas is getting up in there in price, it's also more cost effective for the corporation to absorb transportation costs since they can presumably make that money back unlike a family of four who probably won't see a monetary return on that pizza. I think most fast food places (including Pizza Hut) will eventually phase out the dining in portion and just become drive throughs.

[quote name='becuzimbrown']Read the whole thread and you'll know what i meant by the first part of my first post[/quote]

I did read the whole thread. Oh noes, I quoted a different song. I guess I have no class.

jeez, i just like pizza at pizza hut...but i guess you ruined that for me too

Well, good. Now my day is made. The entire point of my post was to talk about the low quality of Pizza Hut's pizza, and obviously had nothing to do with why their restaurants are now typically unpleasant experiences.

[quote name='becuzimbrown']whatever happened to credibility? the milkman? the telephone? and evening TV?[/QUOTE]
*cold shiver*

[quote name='blandstalker']I did read the whole thread. Oh noes, I quoted a different song. I guess I have no class.

Well, good. Now my day is made. The entire point of my post was to talk about the low quality of Pizza Hut's pizza, and obviously had nothing to do with why their restaurants are now typically unpleasant experiences.[/quote]

touché

[quote name='ITDEFX']I did google it and read that some locations have a rat problem but that's in NY... is this true of all locations?[/quote]

Yes. Every single Pizza Hut has a rat problem.

Here in MN, I still see more Dine in Pizza Hut locations than strictly delivery ones. I used to go to one in Austin, MN, but as soon as they got rid of their lunch buffet, I stopped going.

Plus, dining in at a place like this is almost always going to be more expensive, since there are hardly ever any "dine in" specials, and you can't use coupons. Everything you order is menu price, and with Pizza Hut, if you don't have a coupon or get a deal, it's going to be ridiculously expensive and a huge ripoff.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Here in MN, I still see more Dine in Pizza Hut locations than strictly delivery ones. I used to go to one in Austin, MN, but as soon as they got rid of their lunch buffet, I stopped going.

Plus, dining in at a place like this is almost always going to be more expensive, since there are hardly ever any "dine in" specials, and you can't use coupons. Everything you order is menu price, and with Pizza Hut, if you don't have a coupon or get a deal, it's going to be ridiculously expensive and a huge ripoff.[/quote]

Thats true. My friend always had to print out coupons, and since he can't find any coupons online anymore, he stopped going

At least you have delivery they shut down our local pizza hut entirely so now why are just stuck with dominos.

[quote name='jaykrue']Agreed. But I wouldn't place the blame solely on Dominoes. It's a combination of factors. You've got the internet, which, like the /pizza command in EverQuest II, made pizza delivery convenient & people lazy. Then you've got cheaper, bigger flat screen tvs (plasma, lcd, etc.) so movie night is more fun & inexpensive at home rather than going out to a theater where they charge you an arm, a leg and the soul of your firstborn. Also, since gas is getting up in there in price, it's also more cost effective for the corporation to absorb transportation costs since they can presumably make that money back unlike a family of four who probably won't see a monetary return on that pizza. I think most fast food places (including Pizza Hut) will eventually phase out the dining in portion and just become drive throughs.[/QUOTE]

A nice theory, but completely overthrown by a lack of downward trends in box office takes for movies (so people aren't staying away from theaters, as implied by the "you can get the inexpensive night at home" argument), in addition to people continuing to use more and more fuel - we're sure as shit not driving any less or using less oil than we used to (even when not considering countries like China). Just the US. We're still spending on stuff, just not dine-in Pizza Hut.

I think VG is onto something with coupons. At any rate, if the "people aren't spending as much money" argument held true, you would see widespread declines in restaurants, rather than a decline in one particular type of one particular chain. Moreover, the successful chains that have emerged in the past decade or so (Papa John's, Donatos, others I'm sure) have (in my experience) rarely included dine-in areas of their storefronts. They're almost all del/cos. I think that (this is pure opinion) "pizza" is no longer a "dining out" food. Related to your suggestion, jaykrue, people aren't dining in...but that's not because of the economy, but a pizza dinner just ain't something to sit around a table and eat. Not any more. It's something to grab, throw on a paper plate, ignore your company at home, and rally 'round the modern American cultural centerpiece, the TV, and watch the big game. So, there's (IMO) the cultural element that pizza = food, but pizza =/= meal, as well as the conditioning via coupons that you're getting shafted by dining in - not only do you have to pay full price, but you have to tip on that as well!

All that said: http://www.theonion.com/content/node/34832

[quote name='mykevermin']A nice theory, but completely overthrown by a lack of downward trends in box office takes for movies (so people aren't staying away from theaters, as implied by the "you can get the inexpensive night at home" argument), in addition to people continuing to use more and more fuel - we're sure as shit not driving any less or using less oil than we used to (even when not considering countries like China). Just the US. We're still spending on stuff, just not dine-in Pizza Hut.

I think VG is onto something with coupons. At any rate, if the "people aren't spending as much money" argument held true, you would see widespread declines in restaurants, rather than a decline in one particular type of one particular chain. Moreover, the successful chains that have emerged in the past decade or so (Papa John's, Donatos, others I'm sure) have (in my experience) rarely included dine-in areas of their storefronts. They're almost all del/cos. I think that (this is pure opinion) "pizza" is no longer a "dining out" food. Related to your suggestion, jaykrue, people aren't dining in...but that's not because of the economy, but a pizza dinner just ain't something to sit around a table and eat. Not any more. It's something to grab, throw on a paper plate, ignore your company at home, and rally 'round the modern American cultural centerpiece, the TV, and watch the big game. So, there's (IMO) the cultural element that pizza = food, but pizza =/= meal, as well as the conditioning via coupons that you're getting shafted by dining in - not only do you have to pay full price, but you have to tip on that as well!

All that said: http://www.theonion.com/content/node/34832[/quote]Plus, if I am going to dine in at a pizza place, it's going to be one a lot better than frickin' Pizza Hut.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']fatty:booty:[/QUOTE]

Nope, I have weighed 165 lbs for 5 years. I am just a college student so $6 all you can eat pizza is fantastic (they have salad as well you know).

[quote name='mykevermin']Where in tarnation are there Pizza Hut buffets in Kentucky?[/QUOTE]

I am not sure about Northern KY but I am way down west in Murray KY (Near Paducah).

There used to be a bunch in Lexington where I am from but I believe they took them out.

I just want my KFC buffet down here.

I remember when Pizza Hut had plenty of dine-in locations around LI many years ago, but it wasn't too shocking when most of those went out of business. We usually dropped by once or twice a week to pick a pie up on the way home and, outside of the limited buffet times, you would rarely have more than three families sitting down for a pie together. Everyone else was just using the booths to wait around for their order to pop up.

Around here the stand-alone places are still up-and-running but that's mostly because they keep expanding the buffet times. They keep getting massive amount of college students that way because, all things considered, delivery for PH costs a damned pretty penny even with coupons. It doesn't help when two of the best local pizza joints around here deliver regularly for half that price (and five times the quality). ;)

Pizza Hut costs an arm and a leg compared to just picking up a pizza from Little Ceasar's for $5, but Little Ceaser's pizza still can't compared to Pizza Hut in terms of taste. In my case, I will always choose the cheaper of the two because I like to spend as little as possible and broke ass/cheap ass/ poor ass. I can remember when we had 3 dine in Pizza Huts. One was across the college and was shut down. Another was in a pretty good area, but over time that area began to degrade and it went out of business. One is still in business, but they suck. It is absolutely filthy when I go there, their t.v. doesn't work, and there just isn't that implulse to go out and eat a pizza with pizza hut anymore when they are expensive and I can go to a local pizzeria right by my house and across the street from this Pizza Hut that makes fresher and better pizza with a better atmosphere. Here's a great story to relay about this particular Pizza Hut; I went to this Pizza Hut once and asked for an XL/L pizza, but the manager told me that they didn't have enough dough or the right type of dough for L/XL pizza but could make M sized pizzas. I was absolutely astonished at this. Rather, I was more like what the fuck!?!? How the hell do you have dough for M but not for L/XL pizzas? I've given up on that place since because of that incident and their infestation of ants.

In my area the dine-in's are far more common because they turn a better profit, largely because of the buffet, and the most of them are delivery as well. Only three of the twelve metro locations are delcos (of which mine is one) and I don't know why they keep us open. Our sales are terrible, especially during the "off" weeks when coupons aren't mailed out.

I have a dine-in pizze hut about 10 minutes from my house, they have the buffet and everything.

Does pizza hut still do that thing for kids where if you read enough books you get a personal pizza? Ahhh, to be young again.

What a coincidence. Earlier tonight, I saw a flyer for Domino's, and wondered whether people even ate at pizza places these days, and how other restaurants like McDonald's would be like if they offered delivery. Random stuff like that. Then this topic shows up.

Where I live I have been starting to see some of the dine in locations go down. None of them had the buffets. There is still a few dine in locations but they are in the more populated areas.

Although I love Pizza Hut and there fucking awesome breadsticks, I refuse to eat there except if someone else pays for it. Too fucking expensive (especially when dominos has a campus special of 5 large 1 topping pizzas for $25).

They ran out of stock on those sweet sunglasses (sorry)

I don't eat at Pizza Hut anymore mostly because their pizza is just too greasy for me. It's also pretty expensive for what you're getting.

[quote name='cochesecochese']They ran out of stock on those sweet sunglasses (sorry)[/QUOTE]

Are you referencing their "Back to the Future II" promotion?

If so, you are the greatest poster in the history of mankind. Kudos!

[quote name='cochesecochese']They ran out of stock on those sweet sunglasses (sorry)

I don't eat at Pizza Hut anymore mostly because their pizza is just too greasy for me. It's also pretty expensive for what you're getting.[/quote]

screw the sunglasses i always liked those coolers that dispensed pepsi that they gave away with pizza orders. at least i think they had a spigot that the pepsi could come out of. it was a long time ago so i cant be sure.

another reason why pizza hutt dine in locations arent around as much is because of all you can eat buffet style places. whod go to eat in at a place and only get one type of food when you can go somewhere and have 40 or more choices at a pretty decent price.

[quote name='lokizz']screw the sunglasses i always liked those coolers that dispensed pepsi that they gave away with pizza orders. at least i think they had a spigot that the pepsi could come out of. it was a long time ago so i cant be sure.

another reason why pizza hutt dine in locations arent around as much is because of all you can eat buffet style places. whod go to eat in at a place and only get one type of food when you can go somewhere and have 40 or more choices at a pretty decent price.[/quote]

Buffets have been around for a long time and competed fine with Pizza Hut. We have, ahem, tons of buffets here but Pizza Hut still managed to do well, especially around the college with the salad and pizza buffet.

papa murphys is a pretty good west coast pizza place. you buy it there but cook it at home and you can get some pretty good deals and the pizza is high quality. winco had good pizza too. but overall pizza isnt as rare as it was a few decades back. pizza now is what peanutbutter and jelly was to us. its a common food you can have anyday. i dunno what the special food item is nowdays i guess sushi?

So...... after all these replies, no one can get an official report about what happened? Usually when a company closes its stores, don't they post that they are doing so in a press release? I can't find such press release on the official site nor can I find anything from the health department stating any violations.

[quote name='ITDEFX']So...... after all these replies, no one can get an official report about what happened? Usually when a company closes its stores, don't they post that they are doing so in a press release? I can't find such press release on the official site nor can I find anything from the health department stating any violations.[/QUOTE]

Its probably just your area. All my local Pizza Hut dine in places are still open.

The Pizza Hut locations around here are all still goin strong. The one within a mile of our house closed about a year and a half ago, but it wasn't very busy being in a suburban-bordering-on-rural neighborhood. The ones in town are still there and busy. They do the lunch buffet 7-days a week instead of just weekdays and weekends they're always packed. Speaking of which, we should hit that up sometime soon; it's been like 6 months.

bread's done
Back